Would you trust a mechanic to fix your car?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Would you trust a mechanic to fix your car?

How could you possibly put so much faith in him?

If you look around the shop you may find a book like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HJS4V3P4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Automotive THEORY?!?!?

Would you really trust your life to Automotive theory and not Automotive fact?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why can't they be considered

Why can't they be considered the same thing?

If it is applied and the results fit the hypothesis then the theory IS a fact.

You've been hanging out on the theist board too much if it makes you forget the scientific method.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...You're just joking with

...You're just joking with us, right Alison?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have that book!

I have that book!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't trust a mechanic

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

How could you possibly put so much faith in him?

Would you really trust your life to Automotive theory and not Automotive fact? 

Since I was 15 and poor I learned how to rebuild engines and service motorcycles as well as cars. Later I became an electrical engineer so even the electronics never intimidated me. I have rebuilt Honda motorcycles,  big block V-8s like Hemis from the 60s as well as high tech Pontiac Trans Ams in the 90s, imports and US cars. When I graduated from high school I worked in Estes Park, Colorado replacing brakes on one wheel on cars all summer long. Tourists never seem to understand about dragging their brakes all the way down from the top of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mt Nat'l Park.  I owned Jeeps in Colorado and rebuilt their transmissions as well as engines. So no, I had no faith in the mechanic because they overcharge and replace shit they shouldn't.

People use the word theory in Automotive repair to intimidate you to take your car in for repair because they want you to think the car operates by FM (fucking magic) which to most people they do.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes.... yes I do.

Yes.... yes I do.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
When I go for my physicals I

When I go for my physicals I see a General Practitioner.

Should I leave him for someone who's got it down pat?

Smiling

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:...You're just

Quote:
...You're just joking with us, right Alison?

Yeah.  Seriously.  Poe is really fucking with us lately.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aaww come on guys. This is

Aaww come on guys. This is Pinapple we're talking about. Pinapple the physics student. Of course she's joking. Do we really need to call Poe on this one? Give her some credit. I mean she's a deist, she's not stupid

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

OmegaSupreme
OmegaSupreme's picture
User is offlineOffline
True story...

My car broke down last week and I had it towed to an auto repair shop called Quantum Mechanics.  Anyway, I asked the guy if he could fix my car and he said "It's uncertain until someone looks at it."

You had me at "WTF?"

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Aaww come on

Nikolaj wrote:

Aaww come on guys. This is Pinapple we're talking about. Pinapple the physics student. Of course she's joking. Do we really need to call Poe on this one? Give her some credit. I mean she's a deist, she's not stupid

Yeah, seriously - I thought it was a cute joke.

"Automotive THEORY?" We're all going to die!!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
OmegaSupreme wrote:My car

OmegaSupreme wrote:

My car broke down last week and I had it towed to an auto repair shop called Quantum Mechanics.  Anyway, I asked the guy if he could fix my car and he said "It's uncertain until someone looks at it."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline

OmegaSupreme wrote:

Quick question: if I order the Omega Supreme, can get that with salad, or does it only come with ham?

If anyone's looking for an example of the pot calling the kettle black ...

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline

OmegaSupreme wrote:

LOLOLOLOL That made my day. Keep it up and this will turn into a another corny/nerdy joke post. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace