Terrific Visual Demonstration of Emergence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Terrific Visual Demonstration of Emergence

Check out the results produced by the game at the end of this video. Seriously. It's nuts!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, that was neat.  Now

Yah, that was neat.  Now try the game yourself:

http://www.math.com/students/wonders/life/life.html

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Then this one here. It all

Then this one here. It all come together now.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Awesome video, thanks for

Awesome video, thanks for sharing. I can't wait until I have time to play life for myself.

Also thanks for the pacman ;D

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's soooo fun! 

That's soooo fun!  Especially interesting is when I figured out how to make the ones that can travel across the screen indefinitely.  After that, you can make a few separate 'colonies' and see if they spawn any of the traveling kind of their own.  If you build the colonies approximately equidistant from each other and the traveling kind do spawn, you can watch them interact with the other colonies and watch more spawn and travel across the grid.  It's neat!

EDIT: It's even neater.  Clearly what I figured out isn't original, so there's some awesome save files that have way more complex groupings that move across the grid... and even clean-up debris after themselves.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:That's soooo

Thomathy wrote:

That's soooo fun!  Especially interesting is when I figured out how to make the ones that can travel across the screen indefinitely.  After that, you can make a few separate 'colonies' and see if they spawn any of the traveling kind of their own.  If you build the colonies approximately equidistant from each other and the traveling kind do spawn, you can watch them interact with the other colonies and watch more spawn and travel across the grid.  It's neat!

EDIT: It's even neater.  Clearly what I figured out isn't original, so there's some awesome save files that have way more complex groupings that move across the grid... and even clean-up debris after themselves.

I think its cool making big ones and littles ones and watching the big ones "eat" the little ones. I'm not very good at this and I haven't gotten it so that the big one isn't morphed when it "eats" a little one. This things going to take up more of my time then, well, pacman

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woa...

Woa...

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
For a message from Gahd1,

For a message from Gahd1, draw the following on an empty Life board, then press go.

- - -
- * -
- * -

1. Ok, maybe it's from me.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also, try 10 dots in a line.

Also, try 10 dots in a line.

Edit         

Oh, that's on the site.

Any line longer than 10 generates some fascinating stuff.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The neatest part for me is

The neatest part for me is that as long as you draw a pretty big pattern, it will always spawn-off lots of little 'gliders' and spinners.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science is the shit.

Science is the shit.