Purity of Race: A "Darwinian" ideal?

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Purity of Race: A "Darwinian" ideal?

Hi there folks,

Very recently I was once again caught in a 'debate' which led to the "Darwin taught the Nazi's to be douchebags!!  Darwin is teh Suxxor" argument on my opponent's part.  Tired of this argument I gave the usual rebuttals, was given the standard responses and hung my head in despair.  Today I cam across the following statement.  I have written it with some words marked BLANK.  Once you have read it I'd like you to think what it puts you in mind of.

"...and history, which is the narrative of BLANK providence, tells us that when kingdoms are divided against themselves they cannot stand.  The nations that are homogeneous in BLANK and ideals, that have maintained unity of race, have been ever the most prospersous, and to them the BLANK has committed the highest tasks, and has granted the largest measure of success in acheiving them.  It is incumbent on the BLANK people to consider, before it is too late, the grave situation in their native land, and to devise means which, while they do no injustice to the BLANK people whom they allowed to come into their country, shall preserve BLANK for the BLANK race, and secure future generations the traditions, ideals and BLANK of a great people, unspoiled and inviolate."

So what did you think when you read that?  Yes, my opening language deliberately put Hitler and master race ideals to the forefront of thought, but I'd like to think you can see the undertones present in the language.  So who was suggesting this purity of race?  The original statement is written below.

"God placed the people of this world in families, and history, which is the narrative of His providence, tells us that when kingdoms are divided against themselves they cannot stand.  The nations that are homogeneous in Faith and ideals, that have maintained unity of race, have been ever the most prospersous, and to them the Almighty has committed the highest tasks, and has granted the largest measure of success in acheiving them.  It is incumbent on the Scottish people to consider, before it is too late, the grave situation in their native land, and to devise means which, while they do no injustice to the irish people whom they allowed to come into their country, shall preserve Scotland for the Scottish race, and secure future generations the traditions, ideals and Faith of a great people, unspoiled and inviolate."

This is from a Report submitted by the Committee on Church and Nation, and received by the General Assembly - the annual meeting of the Church of Scotland - on May 29th 1923.  This would later become part of a church supported pamphlet entitled  "The Menace of the Irish Race to Our Scottish Nationality".  The original report has been highlighted as one that could have been used to promote Hitler's ideals, had Germany won WWII, by the historian Richard Finlay (at the time director of the Research Centre in Scottish History at the University of Strathclyde).

So obviously it's only thanks to Darwin that anyone would ever think of keeping a race pure.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Brilliant post.  I have

Brilliant post.  I have nothing to add.  Thank you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 In fairness to the Church

In fairness to the Church of Scotland, the Irish are accurately described as a menace.

Kidding, of course.

Great post.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell