Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abstinence Only Education An Epic Failure - Science in the News

Read about it here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/30/health/webmd/main4691685.shtml

or here:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/12/30/virginity.pledges/

Teenagers are full of hormones and enjoy having sex. Making them pretend like this isn't true not only doesn't change that fact, but actually makes teenagers MORE IRRESPONSIBLE. Who would have thought?

[moved by mod to irrational precepts section from private members only forum]

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The really sad thing is that

The really sad thing is that this isn't just about sex.  Sexual happiness and fulfilment are famously good for you in all aspects of life.  When Clinton was getting impeached, I joked that I think the office of president ought to include fluffers.  There's no reason at all why someone with that much responsibility ought to ever be sexually frustrated.

What makes me so mad is that teenagers ought to be encouraged to explore their sexuality safely and without shame.  I imagine a country where some aging rock star's boob comes out during a superbowl show and nobody even cares.  Where girls don't have to lie to each other about their dates and say they just kissed when they really gave their date a handjob.

I wonder if most people have thought about what being a teenager would be like if it wasn't treated like a capital offense to fool around.  Study after study shows that girls who know all about their sexuality and know all their options for birth control and disease prevention are actually less likely to have sex and more importantly, less likely to have unprotected sex.

We're creating a nation of neurotics.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:The really

Hambydammit wrote:

The really sad thing is that this isn't just about sex.  Sexual happiness and fulfilment are famously good for you in all aspects of life.  When Clinton was getting impeached, I joked that I think the office of president ought to include fluffers.  There's no reason at all why someone with that much responsibility ought to ever be sexually frustrated.

What makes me so mad is that teenagers ought to be encouraged to explore their sexuality safely and without shame.  I imagine a country where some aging rock star's boob comes out during a superbowl show and nobody even cares.  Where girls don't have to lie to each other about their dates and say they just kissed when they really gave their date a handjob.

I wonder if most people have thought about what being a teenager would be like if it wasn't treated like a capital offense to fool around.  Study after study shows that girls who know all about their sexuality and know all their options for birth control and disease prevention are actually less likely to have sex and more importantly, less likely to have unprotected sex.

We're creating a nation of neurotics.  

The idea called the "informed decision" is at the root of most every part of an improved individual life. This also has studies backing it.

Of course, there are also studies showing that humans prefer ideology over reason.

Given the prevelance of the ideology "sex is shameful, mkay?", I think there have been nations full of sexual neurotics for centuries Sticking out tongue

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Given the prevelance

Quote:
Given the prevelance of the ideology "sex is shameful, mkay?", I think there have been nations full of sexual neurotics for centuries Sticking out tongue

You think?  

Quote:
The idea called the "informed decision" is at the root of most every part of an improved individual life. This also has studies backing it.

It seems like it ought to be blatantly obvious to everybody that informed decisions are better than uninformed decisions, and accurate data is better than inaccurate data.  Once again, reality proves me dreadfully wrong.

The longer I live, the more I'm baffled that people think sex is so damned special.  I saw a shirt once that said, "Relax.  It's just sex."  I think that's one of the most profound bumper-sticker style slogans I've ever heard.

One thing brings me a certain amount of intellectual comfort when I look at how sex-crazy (and I mean insane in our thinking about sex, not horny all the time) we are.  I'm reminded of how beautifully humans illustrate the principle of evolution -- evolution doesn't care if we're happy.  It cares if we reproduce successfully.  Think about it:  If everybody became sane about sex and reproduction, the population would probably drop 50% or more.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Laughing_Man_d8D
Gold Member
Laughing_Man_d8D's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wish I could find a

I wish I could find a podcast of a radio program I heard once. It was a 60 year old lady calling in crying to the host (the host calls himself & acts as Jesus Christ) that she is a virgin and is having feeling of wanting to be with a man. She was calling to ask if she was going to goto hell for having these thoughs even though she lead a "pure" life. She was so broken and torn over the conflicts in her mind that no amount of typing could describe hearing this break down over the air. He tried consoling her with sad platidutes like he knew the evil that had been prepitrated on her, the theft of one of the greatest joys in life that has been pronounced as evil.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That kind of thing burns

That kind of thing burns me to the core.  What really gets me is that in the last fifty years, since scientists first began to look at humans as "just another animal" and scientifically study the way we work, we've compiled mountains of evidence that our sexual identity is, in a very real sense, our identity.  So much of our life is a direct extension of our gender, sexual orientation, and attitudes towards sexuality that it's sometimes hard to think of something that isn't somehow related to sex.

Just for shits and giggles, try to think of some social behavior that isn't somehow related to sex.  It's harder than you think.

What especially burns me is how badly we fuck up women's heads by telling them that they're supposed to be exactly the opposite of what their biology wants.

Damn... lots of things are making me mad tonight.

Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I was first in

When I was first in university, the first classes I took were in behavioral psychology. Most others went for Freudian.

Behavioral psych, even at the time, could not help but refer to evolution as the source for these many behaviors of ours. It took me and my classmates only one (or two in some cases) to accept that we are largely driven by our sexual instincts. The conflict with social mores was easier to deal with when you have a strong basis for the observations, I guess.

Freud came to the same conclusion, but from a very different perspective. The folks who were grappling with his views really had social moores deeply in thier way - so much so that several switched majors to get away from the dilema.

So the whole informed decision thing runs pretty deep, which is bizarre considering how completely it's ignored.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think part of why Freud

I think part of why Freud is still popular in some circles, and why he achieved such popularity in the mainstream, was that he was right about quite a few things, even though he got there the completely wrong way.  Of course, his whole system is fatally flawed, but there really are a lot of people with hidden sexual issues that muck up their lives, and in the end, everything really is about sex.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Just for shits and

Quote:
Just for shits and giggles, try to think of some social behavior that isn't somehow related to sex.

*Playing Magic: The Gathering

*Playing WH:40K

QFT!!!

Sticking out tongue

EDIT: I'm like in smart-ass mode today. I've been nailing my parents non-stop.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:EDIT: I'm like in

Quote:
EDIT: I'm like in smart-ass mode today. I've been nailing my parents non-stop.

In the States, we think that kind of behavior is pretty weird.  You fucking Canadians keep your deviant sexual practices above the border... capiche?

Quote:
Playing Magic: The Gathering

I see your mistake quite clearly.  You were thinking that playing a game while being part of a group that has no chance of getting laid is the same thing as the game itself not being related to human sexuality...

easy mistake to make.

Quote:
*Playing WH:40K

Ibid.

Books about atheism