waterford crystal...

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
waterford crystal...

I need to replace a champagne flute that was broken on New Year's Eve... apparently it's Waterford Crystal but I've been searching for quite a while now.

Any ideas?  Here's what the design looks like:

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Waterford is rather nice

Waterford is rather nice crystal.  Never to my style, though.  I would recommend you peruse or even contact William Ashley.  They are retailers of fine crystal and other precious glass and ceramic dinning and decorative items.  The carry Waterford.  What may not be helpful is that they are a Canadian retailer and have only two stores in the GTA.  What will be helpful is that you might find the particular glass or at least you can be directed to the particular glass and perhaps a retailer they know of.  Hope that helps.  I recently lost a beloved Portmeirion plate that's virtually irreplacable.  Good luck!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Waterford is

Thomathy wrote:

Waterford is rather nice crystal.  Never to my style, though.

Even the-old fashioned glasses? Not sure about any of the other Waterford stuff, but I'm a sucker for the classic old-fashioned glass. It's part of the club-chair-and-cigar grouchy old guy look.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Shopping around

Could we find something like this on e-bay??

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
The flute is not one of

The flute is not one of Waterford's active patterns... There are literally *tons* of special order patterns.  I'm trying to go through them all but it's tough to even get a complete list.

I'm sure there are places other than from the factory from which I could purchase it... My main concern right now is ID-ing the pattern. 

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Might be worth it to e-mail

Might be worth it to e-mail the pic to Waterford's contact address, asking for help in its identification for its replacement. Might just get someone who's in a customer supportive mood.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.replacements.com/c

http://www.replacements.com/crystal/WAT.htm

My spousal unit used to be an antiques dealer. According to her, these guys, replacements ltd, specializes in this sort of stuff. She says that it probably won't be cheap, but they should have it. Good luck.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
replacements.com actually

replacements.com actually didn't have it.

although, i had my mailing list (beltway atheists) on the lookout and one of my members tracked it down.  Smiling

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Thomathy

HisWillness wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Waterford is rather nice crystal.  Never to my style, though.

Even the-old fashioned glasses? Not sure about any of the other Waterford stuff, but I'm a sucker for the classic old-fashioned glass. It's part of the club-chair-and-cigar grouchy old guy look.

Yeah, really.  My favourite style is clean edged, no etching or design except perhaps a bit of a bevel at joints.  I know that Waterford does make some very simple and elegant glasses, but my favourite are Riedels.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hear you.  The flute I

I hear you.  The flute I just replaced was not exactly something I would buy for myself.  I'm not a big wine drinker and much of that has to do with rarely being able to find the perfect glass.  So much of what is out there is insanely ornate and appears that function was an afterthought.

Speaking of Waterford, my Mom was recently in their factory in Ireland.  She was surprised by how little is actually made there.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mhmm... When I remember what

Mhmm... When I remember what my regular red wine glasses are, I'll let you know, because they're perfect.  Each one can hold about 500mL and they have wide bowls with a slight tapper that make tasting an experience.  Did I mention that each one holds 500mL of wine?  That's one bottle of wine in two glasses.  An experience!

I didn't know that Waterford manufactured anywhere else... otherwise I wouldn't expect it to take so bloody long to get a reproduction piece made.  I've been searching around for you and I found a large catalog of their old designs, but none match yours.  You've got a hard one.  (Oh, and it's a flute, so you'd only be drinking sparkling wines or dessert wines from it, I hope.)

BigUniverse wrote,

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
The glass I was looking for

The glass I was looking for is from Waterford's Happy Anniversary collection so it's not among the patterns you can order.  I feel pretty safe saying that the one I bought yesterday was the only one out there in retail-land as I pretty much called everyone.  I assume he was drinking champange from it as it was new year's eve... however I don't know.  It was sitting in his sink with it's mate when another friend of mine (who I could strangle) broke it while getting water from the faucet.

Today, however, a friend pointed out an interesting article about Waterford.

Crystal, china maker Waterford Wedgwood collapses

I personally prefer wide bowl blown glasses.  The one thing I absolutely can not tolerate when it comes to a wine glass are the stemless versions.  I've seen these show up in a few resturants lately.  Seriously, wtf?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:My favourite

Thomathy wrote:

My favourite style is clean edged, no etching or design except perhaps a bit of a bevel at joints.  I know that Waterford does make some very simple and elegant glasses, but my favourite are Riedels.

That's glass minimalism, and I love that, but not for the old-guy effect. Anyway, if I'm going for a simple look, I have to do something weird like using Pyrex lab equipment to serve blue martinis ... in a lab coat. Man, I've had some good parties. Anyway, what I'm saying is I don't have a party costume for that kind of glassware. Any suggestions?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
So you need a costume for

So you need a costume for that Will?  Something formal and a cigar should compliment it just fine.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "old guy" effect is

The "old guy" effect is easily achieved. A quick over-all body spray of dog's urine (then left to ferment over at least three days). Cigar burns on the tie (used of course as a trouser belt). Two odd socks of indefinite age but definite odour, trousers which end somewhere around the shin bones (on at least one leg), and a shuffling gait punctuated by flatulent spurts of speed. Oh - and a flat cap to catch the dandruff (and then release it in impressive clouds when removed - such as when being polite to others on the street, in need of a quick de-lousing with one's fingernails, short of toilet paper etc).

Trust me. These work (burp).

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:That's

HisWillness wrote:

That's glass minimalism, and I love that, but not for the old-guy effect. Anyway, if I'm going for a simple look, I have to do something weird like using Pyrex lab equipment to serve blue martinis ... in a lab coat. Man, I've had some good parties. Anyway, what I'm saying is I don't have a party costume for that kind of glassware. Any suggestions?

A costume for that?  Easy.  Naked.  You would make a poignant statement.

BigUniverse wrote,

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
The recession has forced

The recession has forced Waterford in to filing for bankruptcy protection...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28503632/

Waterford seeks bankruptcy protection

250 year-old maker of classic china falls victim to global recession

updated 1:44 p.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 5, 2009 function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633667778530830000');

LONDON - Waterford Wedgwood PLC, the maker of classic china and crystal, filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday after attempts to restructure the struggling business or find a buyer failed.

Four administrators from business advisory firm Deloitte were appointed to run the company's businesses in Britain and Northern Ireland, while a Deloitte partner in the Irish Republic was appointed as receiver of Waterford Wedgwood PLC, the ultimate parent of the U.K. companies, and other Irish subsidiaries.

The U.K. joint administrators said they intended to continue to run the business as they seek a buyer. Trading in the company's shares was suspended on the Irish Stock Exchange where they languished at just one-tenth of a euro cent and the company's directors — including Anthony O'Reilly, the Irish publishing magnate who along with his brother-in-law Peter Goulandris owns more than half of all Waterford Wedgwood shares — handed in their resignations.

"Waterford, Wedgwood and Royal Doulton are quintessentially classic brands that represent a high quality product which is steeped in history," the administrators said in a statement. "The administration team will be working closely with management, customers and suppliers during this time to ensure operations continue whilst a sale of the business is sought."

Waterford Wedgwood, which employs around 7,700 worldwide, is the latest in a burgeoning list of iconic British companies to succumb to the global economic slowdown and credit squeeze. Department store veteran Woolworths, the queen's tailor Hardy Amies, tea and coffee merchant Whittard of Chelsea and fellow ceramics stalwart Royal Worcester and Spode have all filed for bankruptcy protection in recent months.

Wedgwood has been an iconic name in British pottery for 250 years, after its founder Josiah Wedgwood opened the first factory in Stoke-on-Trent, central England, in 1759. It began making bone china in the 19th century.

Waterford Crystal traces its lineage to a factory opened in Waterford, southeast Ireland in 1783, although that business failed in the 1850s. The brand was revived by Czech immigrant Miroslav Havel in 1947.

Under O'Reilly's watch, Waterford acquired Wedgwood in 1986 to form the present company, listing on the stock exchange and expanding overseas in the 1990s before buying fellow Stoke-on-Trent ceramics maker Royal Doulton in 2005.

Much of the business has now shifted offshore, where it employs 5,800 people, including 1,500 people at a plant in Jakarta, Indonesia, which produces most of the company's ceramics. The majority of its crystal production has been handed to Eastern European subcontractors.

The company employs a work force just a third of that size at 1,900 in Britain, including around 600 in Stoke-on-Trent and 800 in Waterford.

Waterford Mayor Jack Walsh said the closure of the crystal factory would deal a cultural and psychological blow to all of Ireland, noting that the crystal plant was one of the country's top tourist attractions and the product "one of only a handful of iconic Irish brands.'

"Given this, it is of major strategic importance that this company not be allowed to slip into oblivion," Walsh said.

In Stoke on Trent, Margaret Kilford was close to tears as she described how important Waterford Wedgwood was to the town.

"It's part of Staffordshire. It's a very sad day," she said. "I've always bought Wedgwood. Nothing else will do. If it goes, that's it."

The Deloitte administrators said the company has "benefited from significant shareholder support" in recent years as the management team tried to restructure the business. O'Reilly and Goulandris have pumped more than 400 million pounds of their own money into the business since 2002.

"However, as trading conditions deteriorated, it became apparent that a restructuring of the businesses could not be achieved in an acceptable timescale," they said in a statement.

A subsequent alternative strategy to find a buyer also failed, they added.

Waterford Wedgwood chief executive officer David Sculley said he was "disappointed" about the bankruptcy filing, but remained confident a buyer could be found.

Under the administration process, administrators are appointed to salvage as much of the company as possible for the benefit of its creditors. While they may do so by selling the company as a going concern, they can revert to a break-up to recoup as much money as possible from assets if a buyer for the whole business cannot be found.

The receivership process in Ireland follows a similar path.

Waterford Wedgwood announced last month that it had been forced to ask its chief creditors for "forbearance" because the company could no longer pay its loans on time or in full. It also revealed falling sales and increasing first-half losses, and said its survival depended on securing new investment.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gotta hurry up and find it

Beacuse Waterford Crystals filed for bankruptcy today.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I already found it... it

I already found it... it should arrive later this week. Smiling  Also, I posted an different article of the same topic in #11.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Okay, okay - naked, urine

Okay, okay - naked, urine soaked, and what? Seriously, I had no idea you guys cared so much. This is how I do it, because it's how it's done:

Smoking jacket, slippers, fez, crystal decanter, crystal old-fashioned glass, cigar, leather club chair. (Actually, still working on the club chair - those are expensive!) 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
My alcohol shipment should

My alcohol shipment should arrive this afternoon. Smiling

I refuse to buy alcohol from the overpriced monopoly that are our government-owned liquor stores in Virginia.  Also, the UPS man is much hotter than the brown bags at the ABC store printed with “Don't be Virginia's next traffic fatality."

I'll be thinking of you Will.  I don't have a fancy costume but I'll figure something out.