You know god exists, you just don't like it.

Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
You know god exists, you just don't like it.

THIS COMMENT WAS POSTED IN A THREAD BY A THEIST VIA OUR ANONYMOUS POSTING.  IT DESERVES TO BE ADDRESSED BUT WAS OFF TOPIC IN THE AREA POSTED.  HAVE AT IT...

 

How about an appeal to reason and common sense?  The fact that life and this universe exists is proof that a Creator exists or else how did we/it get here?  You have no answer for that.  Christianity does.  I have no "article" or "study" that provides "evidence" because you don't need one.  Common sense and logic tells us this is the case.  I pity "devout atheists" because they have eyes but can't see. They are blind.  You believe that there is no such thing as God but your whole life revolves around Him. 

You spend all your time creating websites about Him, writing articles about Him, blasphemeing His name.  You may spend the time saying and writing that He doesn't exist but, nevertheless, your whole life is consumed by God.  How ironic.   Allah does not exist.  That is why I do not bother talking or writing about him.   What for?  He doesn't exist.  Jesus Christ does exist so this is why I talk to Him, pray to Him, talk about Him, read His word, discuss Him with others. 

I suspect the reason you spend all your time trying to refute the God of the Bible and not other "gods" is for the same reason.  You know He exists.  You just don't like it.  Or else you would spend equal amount of time crying out against other "gods".  But you don't.  It is almost exclusively attacks against Christianity and the God of the Bible.     


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
Wow, what a dick. Maybe he

Wow, what a dick. Maybe he should be renamed god of cock. This is why theists get a bad rep.

 

 

On behalf of theists everywhere, this guy is an incompetent douche.


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:Wow, what a

Ciarin wrote:

Wow, what a dick. Maybe he should be renamed god of cock. This is why theists get a bad rep.

On behalf of theists everywhere, this guy is an incompetent douche.

Just answer this for me:

Did you have your child by artificial insemination? 

I only ask because I'm looking at your pictures and it is just inconceivable to me that some guy could look at your naked body and get an erection.


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Just

The God of Rock wrote:
Just answer this for me:



Did you have your child by artificial insemination? 

I only ask because I'm looking at your pictures and it is just inconceivable to me that some guy could look at your naked body and get an erection.

This from a person who's first sexual encounter was with his uncle Cid, and who's latest sexual encounter began with the phrase "Please, daddy, no!"


 

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This from a person

Quote:
This from a person who's first sexual encounter was with his uncle Cid, and who's latest sexual encounter began with the phrase "Please, daddy, no!"

You're terrible, Jill.

 

This is why I love you so much. Eye-wink

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Ciarin

The God of Rock wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Wow, what a dick. Maybe he should be renamed god of cock. This is why theists get a bad rep.

On behalf of theists everywhere, this guy is an incompetent douche.

Just answer this for me:

Did you have your child by artificial insemination? 

I only ask because I'm looking at your pictures and it is just inconceivable to me that some guy could look at your naked body and get an erection.

 

No, I'm not going to have sex with you.


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:No, I'm not

Ciarin wrote:

No, I'm not going to have sex with you.

And the mere thought makes me dry heave.

Which team are you on, anyway?  Are you a pretend theist?


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:Maybe he should

Ciarin wrote:

Maybe he should be renamed god of cock.

Only Jill knows for sure.    Eye-wink


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Ciarin

The God of Rock wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

No, I'm not going to have sex with you.

And the mere thought makes me dry heave.

Which team are you on, anyway?  Are you a pretend theist?

 

NO. I will NOT have sex with you.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2484
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Ciarin

The God of Rock wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

No, I'm not going to have sex with you.

And the mere thought makes me dry heave.

Which team are you on, anyway?  Are you a pretend theist?

If you went to her web site you should know. Guess you were distracted by pictures.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:NO. I will NOT

Ciarin wrote:

NO. I will NOT have sex with you.

But you're the one who said that I was the God of Cock.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3716
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Which

The God of Rock wrote:

Which team are you on, anyway?  Are you a pretend theist?

Hahaha, what a fascinating perspective of the situation - i.e. you shouldn't debate The God of Rock because you're supposed to be on the same team. 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Ciarin

The God of Rock wrote:
Ciarin wrote:
Maybe he should be renamed god of cock.
Only Jill knows for sure.    Eye-wink
Then allow me to reveal that he's the god of cock only if gods are very, very tiny.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Ciarin

The God of Rock wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

NO. I will NOT have sex with you.

But you're the one who said that I was the God of Cock.

 

Yeah, because your posts are hard to swallow and leave a bad taste in the mouth

 

 

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:The God

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

The God of Rock wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

NO. I will NOT have sex with you.

But you're the one who said that I was the God of Cock.

 

Yeah, because your posts are hard to swallow and leave a bad taste in the mouth

 

Hey!  Get back on your team!

 

p.s.  Small Johnson might take an extra few minutes to respond, his ip addys are blocked, but his account isn't banned... yet. (I figure we need the lulz)

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Then allow

JillSwift wrote:

Then allow me to reveal that he's the god of cock only if gods are very, very tiny.


Even a jet would look tiny landing in the Grand Canyon


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2484
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock

The God of Rock wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Then allow me to reveal that he's the god of cock only if gods are very, very tiny.


Even a jet would look tiny landing in the Grand Canyon

You'd never make it you'd blow on the rim.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Even a

The God of Rock wrote:
Even a jet would look tiny landing in the Grand Canyon
Says the person who's only ever flown his Cessna 150 into the local flood control ditch. "I so big!" he says. "The boy's only 6, you sick fuck." we says.

 

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


caposkia
Theist
Posts: 2619
Joined: 2007-05-15
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Did

The God of Rock wrote:

Did you have your child by artificial insemination? 

I only ask because I'm looking at your pictures and it is just inconceivable to me that some guy could look at your naked body and get an erection.

Alright.  How rediculous can this get. 

Just for the record, you can't be a theist or follower of Christ.  I dont' know if that's who you were representing or not, I'm assuming it was.

"First and foremost put on love".  I guess you forgot that part.

You also not only fail to reflect Christ in yourself, you also fail to realize that it's a privelage to be on a site such as this.  To be able to talk to people who don't believe in God and yet are willing to listen to you.

Not all of them are on here to make you look like an idiot.  You do a good job on your own.

From what I've seen on this forum, you've efficiently presented yourself as a hypocrite and a fraud.

Why are you here?

You should be here to find common ground with non-believers so as to either help them see why you are following what you are, or rethink your grounds.

Do you really expect people to listen to you if they don't respect you?  It's possible you're a dispensationalist.  Please reconsider your approach to God.


patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
Posts: 122
Joined: 2007-11-07
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:If you

The God of Rock wrote:
If you are right and there is no God, when we both die we will both rot and ceast to exist and neither of us will have any recollection of how we "wasted" or spent our only life.  But if I am right and the biblical God does exist I will, by God's grace, spend eternity in Heaven and you, because of your sins, will spend eternity in Hell.  It seems that according to your scenario I have nothing to lose, but according to my scenario you have evrything to lose.

The only reason that you believe in your God is that your parents brainwashed you when you were a child. You just believe because your mommy believed. She did not know what she was talking about and she was just spreading lies when she told you that there was a God. You need to grow up and realize that sometimes your parents are just wrong about things.

You know that there really is no god because all your arguments for God are fallacies and when you do not have a valid reason for believing something extraordinary then its almost certainly wrong.

If there were a God he would be rational and irrationality would be a sin. If there were a heaven then its for rational people such as atheists. If there is a hell then its for irrational people such as apologist theists. You're best chance to escape burning alive forever is to become an atheist.

when you say "faith" I think "evil lies"
when you say "god" I think "santa clause"


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Alright. 

caposkia wrote:

Alright.  How rediculous can this get. 

Just for the record, you can't be a theist or follower of Christ.  I dont' know if that's who you were representing or not, I'm assuming it was.

While I understand you have a specific standard that you believe Christians should upholdm that doesn't mean they do. 

Is George Bush a Christian?  He led a war into a country based on dishonest arguments.  Are the pastors who molest children Christian?  Is the abortion clinic bomber a Christian?  Are the Christians who send us hate mail threatening our lives Christian?

The only thing one Christian must have in common with another is belief in Jesus as the Christ (or the teachings of the apostles).  Christians sometimes like to represent the idea that becoming a Christian is a catch-all to poor behavior and it's far from that.  I think if anything it promotes poor behavior, being that it offers a get out of jail free card for simply accepting Jesus who died for your sins.  As a non-believer I don't have a Jesus to suffer for my sins, I choose to suffer for any "sins" here on Earth all by myself.  Since I am held accountable in this life rather than preparing for an afterlife in which someone has already wiped my slate clean, I feel I am a better person as a result. 

If you actually do in fact believe that bad Christians aren't Christians, maybe you'll respect the words of C.S. Lewis on this matter who said...

"The name Christians was first given at Antioch (Acts 11:26) to 'the disciples', to those who accepted the teaching of the apostles. There is no question of its being restricted to those who profited by that teaching as much as they should have. There is no question of its being extended to those who in some refined, spiritual, inward fashion were 'far closer to the spirit of Christ' than the less satisfactory of the disciples. The point is not a theological or moral one. It is only a question of using words so that we can all understand what is being said. When a man who accepts the Christian doctrine lives unworthily of it, it is much clearer to say he is a bad Christian than to say he is not a Christian."

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:The God of

caposkia wrote:

The God of Rock wrote:

Did you have your child by artificial insemination? 

I only ask because I'm looking at your pictures and it is just inconceivable to me that some guy could look at your naked body and get an erection.

Alright.  How rediculous can this get. 

Just for the record, you can't be a theist or follower of Christ.  I dont' know if that's who you were representing or not, I'm assuming it was.

"First and foremost put on love".  I guess you forgot that part.

You also not only fail to reflect Christ in yourself, you also fail to realize that it's a privelage to be on a site such as this.  To be able to talk to people who don't believe in God and yet are willing to listen to you.

Not all of them are on here to make you look like an idiot.  You do a good job on your own.

From what I've seen on this forum, you've efficiently presented yourself as a hypocrite and a fraud.

Why are you here?

You should be here to find common ground with non-believers so as to either help them see why you are following what you are, or rethink your grounds.

Do you really expect people to listen to you if they don't respect you?  It's possible you're a dispensationalist.  Please reconsider your approach to God.

 

Thank-you, cap.

 

It does please me to know that fellows like this really do meet their own agenda of finding common ground with nobody.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Did you know that with a

To Mr. "Sapient",

Did you know that with a quick Google search, anybody can find out where you live (or at least used to live), what your mortgage/taxes/insurance is, and what your real name is?

Does that disturb you?


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock

The God of Rock wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Then allow me to reveal that he's the god of cock only if gods are very, very tiny.


Even a jet would look tiny landing in the Grand Canyon

 

Awesome!

 

a/s/l?

 

 

 

 


pablotar
pablotar's picture
Posts: 117
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:To Mr.

The God of Rock wrote:

To Mr. "Sapient",

Did you know that with a quick Google search, anybody can find out where you live (or at least used to live), what your mortgage/taxes/insurance is, and what your real name is?

Does that disturb you?

Veiled threats now... what a douche.

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:To Mr.

The God of Rock wrote:

To Mr. "Sapient",

Did you know that with a quick Google search, anybody can find out where you live (or at least used to live), what your mortgage/taxes/insurance is, and what your real name is?

Does that disturb you?

You know when you make posts like this, people feel that I've put myself in a line of fire that they don't want to be in.  By seeing what you and others like you have written, supporters become more willing to make a financial contribution to my efforts, so that they themselves can avoid the line of fire and still help in some way.  At least one person made a donation as a direct result of your posts from yesterday.  Does that disturb you?

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
Doc wrote: And as far as

Doc wrote:
And as far as being wise is concerned, the Bible says that the wise seek after God but the fool says in his heart "There is no God".  Who is wise and who is the fool?  If you are right and there is no God, when we both die we will both rot and ceast to exist and neither of us will have any recollection of how we "wasted" or spent our only life.  But if I am right and the biblical God does exist I will, by God's grace, spend eternity in Heaven and you, because of your sins, will spend eternity in Hell.  It seems that according to your scenario I have nothing to lose, but according to my scenario you have evrything to lose.

*emphasis added* What sins? Answer me that. Spell out what specific sins Brian is guilty of, or I am guilty of for that matter. What sins?

When I look around the world, when I look deep in my heart (metaphorically speaking) I see that true sin is being a judgemental prick like you are being by making yourself the judge of who get's to go to hell and who get's to go to heaven.

Now imagine for a second that my "spiritual compass" is better calibrated than yours. I may not see God in the same way you do, but maybe I "get" God's message better than you even so.

Well, that means you are going to hell for being a judgemental prick, and skeptics, atheists, agnostics, humanists and the like, are going to heaven for humbly accepting that they can only know that which humans can percieve, and for not pressuming to know the "true purpose" of the universe, or the "mind of God".

Or otherwise, explain to me, excactly how I have sinned, and you have not. And remember, it has to allign with my understanding of what is sinful. If my "spiritual compass" is not convinced then you are basically betting your afterlife on me being wrong and you being right.

Do you really know me well enough to decide that my understanding of God is not more correct than yours?

(as an aside, yes guys, I know this is just Pascal's wager, and it's been answered a thousand times allready, but I'd still like to adress it my own way. It's not the illogical proparties of the Pascal's wager argument that gets to me... It's the unvaranted smugness)

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:You know when

Sapient wrote:

You know when you make posts like this, people feel that I've put myself in a line of fire that they don't want to be in.  By seeing what you and others like you have written, supporters become more willing to make a financial contribution to my efforts, so that they themselves can avoid the line of fire and still help in some way.  At least one person made a donation as a direct result of your posts from yesterday.  Does that disturb you?

No.  What's disturbing is you pointing that out like it somehow scores you points over me.  Guess what?  I just received a paycheck yesterday that I can actually pay my monthly mortgage with.  I actually do not need to ask other people for help.  While I don't have any actual sources at my disposal, I have a hunch that the donation you just received will not even cover your gas money.  Is that your idea of victory?

Panhandlers probably make just as much as you.  LOL

Seriously, you act like you are some sort of martyr for atheism.  You pretend that you choose to be a loser because doing anything else would undermine the "revolution" that you are setting out to make happen.

Newsflash:  We already have guys like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens selling MILLIONS of books.  No doubt that millions of people were inspired by what they've written.  These guys have done more for this supposed "cause" than you could ever dream of doing.  And you know what?  These guys are actually educated above secondary level and have REAL jobs.  So honestly, whatever atheist revolution may happen in the future is going to happen with or without you.

If you really want to help this cause, move out of your girlfriend's basement, go back to college, get a degree.... become a school teacher or author... or something.  Until then, the average person is not going to take you seriously.



 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:Guess

The God of Rock wrote:

Guess what?  I just received a paycheck yesterday that I can actually pay my monthly mortgage with. 

Me too.  I work a full time job, remember?

 

Quote:
I actually do not need to ask other people for help.  While I don't have any actual sources at my disposal, I have a hunch that the donation you just received will not even cover your gas money.  Is that your idea of victory?

I would imagine a guy like you is used to hearing, it's not the size that matters.


Quote:
Panhandlers probably make just as much as you.  LOL

Probably more.

 

Quote:
Newsflash:  We already have guys like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens selling MILLIONS of books.  No doubt that millions of people were inspired by what they've written.  These guys have done more for this supposed "cause" than you could ever dream of doing.  And you know what?  These guys are actually educated above secondary level and have REAL jobs. 

Richard Dawkins doesn't currently have a job.  Hitchens gets paid by Vanity Fair to write.  Harris is still in school and is not employed.  And again it's not the size of our impact that matters, it's trying that's important.  

Quote:
So honestly, whatever atheist revolution may happen in the future is going to happen with or without you.

Duh.

 

Quote:
If you really want to help this cause, move out of your girlfriend's basement, go back to college, get a degree.... become a school teacher or author... or something.  Until then, the average person is not going to take you seriously.

You're projecting. 

 

P.S. I missed you. 



 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
GoR, your line of reasoning

GoR, your line of reasoning is, at best, bizarre. You're effectively arguing that the only people who should be permitted to speak-up on an issue are those with academic credentials and/or notoritety as a published author. The rest of us may as well have black squares glued over our mouths.

Did you actually read any of Harris's or Dawkins's books? The authors implicitly state that their intention is to get us off of our asses and talking, as well as to educate. Theism and dogma need to be challenged by everyone, not just a few selective educators whom we appoint the burden to.

Alleging that Brian has the mentality of a martyr is ridiculous, a fact you no doubt are aware of. A martyr would be delighted to have their personal details disseminated, encourage threats to their person and leap with cheery delight into doom's maw wherver the opportunity presented itself. A martyr seeks death, as only through it can they achieve the meta-goal of martyrdom.

And what, out of curiousity, am I - the average person - to 'take Brian seriously' about? I really don't understand what you could be driving at. It's not like Brian has any grandiose claims about himself that I can 'take seriously' or not; I'm here to discuss the existence of God (or rather, the lack thereof). Frankly, Brian could be the biggest scumbag on the internet - I really wouldn't care, as it's not relevant to topic I wish to engage.

 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:No. 

The God of Rock wrote:

No.  What's disturbing is you pointing that out like it somehow scores you points over me.  Guess what?  I just received a paycheck yesterday that I can actually pay my monthly mortgage with.  I actually do not need to ask other people for help.  While I don't have any actual sources at my disposal, I have a hunch that the donation you just received will not even cover your gas money.  Is that your idea of victory?

Panhandlers probably make just as much as you.  LOL
 

So you would have to object to churchs asking for money also, correct? They must get millions though, but that's ok right?

And what about the 1000's of other blogs and web sites that have that donation icon on their home page?

You're beginning to look like a childish fool.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Me too.  I

Sapient wrote:

Me too.  I work a full time job, remember?

"Curing theism" is not a real job.

Quote:
I would imagine a guy like you is used to hearing, it's not the size that matters.

It would be really convenient for you if that were true, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Richard Dawkins doesn't currently have a job.  Hitchens gets paid by Vanity Fair to write.  Harris is still in school and is not employed.

Dawkins is a retired college professor who no doubt has some sort of pension, and he is a best selling author.  Harris is an author as well. 

What is your job?

Quote:
And again it's not the size of our impact that matters, it's trying that's important.

Even if trying results in you losing $8,000 per year?  Couldn't you "try" in such a way that isn't laughable and pathetic? 


 


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:GoR,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

GoR, your line of reasoning is, at best, bizarre. You're effectively arguing that the only people who should be permitted to speak-up on an issue are those with academic credentials and/or notoritety as a published author. The rest of us may as well have black squares glued over our mouths.

Actually, I never said that.

I'm saying that Brian "Sapient" is a pathetic loser and nobody is fooled by him pretending that he's a martyr for atheism and that he chooses to live the way he does because he has no other option.

Quote:
Did you actually read any of Harris's or Dawkins's books? The authors implicitly state that their intention is to get us off of our asses and talking, as well as to educate. Theism and dogma need to be challenged by everyone, not just a few selective educators whom we appoint the burden to.

I do not think Harris or Dawkins meant to imply that we ought to move into the basement of our girlfriend's mother and impregnate our girlfriend, and then instead of supporting our illegitimate children... continually run some website that loses money every year. 

I do not think Harris or Dawkins meant to imply that we ought to ask children to post a Youtube video of themselves denying the existence of God... and doing so by setting up ads on children's websites.

I do not think Harris or Dawkins meant to imply that we ought to spend our time 24/7 mooching off of other people and not actually getting a job.

I think if one were to ask Mr. Harris and Mr. Dawkins for advice, they would say quite the opposite. 

Quote:
And what, out of curiousity, am I - the average person - to 'take Brian seriously' about?

You're not the average person.  You are, shall we say, a minion of Brian's-- probably no better off than he is.


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:So you would have

aiia wrote:

So you would have to object to churchs asking for money also, correct? They must get millions though, but that's ok right?

There's nothing wrong with asking for donations. 

Where did I say that there was?


 


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:aiia

The God of Rock wrote:

aiia wrote:

So you would have to object to churchs asking for money also, correct? They must get millions though, but that's ok right?

There's nothing wrong with asking for donations. 

Where did I say that there was?

 

 

How is a church asking for tithes and offerings different from the guy panhandling on the street?

Churches claim to have a divine command behind them. Granted, that command was written by men so that they could have a source of income. After all, why would their all-powerful God need money?

The actions themselves are identical.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


RatDog
atheistSilver Member
Posts: 562
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock

The God of Rock wrote:

Newsflash:  We already have guys like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens selling MILLIONS of books.

What do you mean we? I thought you were a theist.

[Edit: Never mind, you probably just talking about humanity in general or something like that.  By the way stop being a jerk, it doesn't make you cool.]


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
It always comes down to the

It always comes down to the emotions.

A theist of any stripe is a theist because it's an emotional response to the world, the specific response shaped by local culture. It's not a simple response, instead being a near self-perpetuating conglomeration of fear, hope, comfort, and a sense of transcendence.

These emotions do not respond to reason. They conflict with reason, in fact, and it is human nature to go with the emotional over the rational. Most of the time this works well enough. It sometimes just gets in the way.

This silly tirade of GoR's is just an extension of that same emotional response. Being unable to support his faith through reason, he reverts entirely to the emotional. By labeling every atheist here, and Brian (who he assumes is our "leader&quotEye-wink especially, as losers he reduces the impact we have on his faith by way of reducing our character. It's not rational, obviously. If he were really concerned about "losers" wasting time and money on web forums over their families and other responsibilities he'd still be busy going after UFO sites concerned with cow molestation, or going after Moon Landing Hoax sites, etc.

It shows in his timing. It wasn't until he felt cornered that he switched his tack.

He'll eventually leave the board, doing his very best to believe he was victorious, having "shown those atheist scum a thing or two".

The problem, of course, is that we humans are also, thought o a lesser extent, rational creatures. There will always be that new nodule of doubt rolling around in the back of his mind. Every time he tries to defend his faith, it will be re-introduced. He'll realize that his faith really is nothing more than the emotional representation of something he wishes were true. That reason may never overcome his emotional needs, but it will still be there like a thorn in the middle of his mind.

I pity him.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


pablotar
pablotar's picture
Posts: 117
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:. There will

JillSwift wrote:

. There will always be that new nodule of doubt rolling around in the back of his mind. 

He'll be calling that Sapient's nodule.

Eden had a 25% murder rate and incest was rampant.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
1. Maybe you didn't hear me,

1. Maybe you didn't hear me, I have a full time job, and it isn't this website.  I get an "actual paycheck" as you call it.

2. I've never lived in a basement.  My in home office was in the basement of my last house.  I did not have a child with the girl who lived there with me (my ex).

3. Dawkins receiving a pension is a job?  Harris getting paid to write is a job?  You realize I get donations to write, do video, do podcasts, and maintain websites?

 

If you're gonna hate, at least get the details straight.  Bring on the page views...

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:1. Maybe you

Sapient wrote:

1. Maybe you didn't hear me, I have a full time job, and it isn't this website.  I get an "actual paycheck" as you call it.

There's a difference between things that are only true inside your head and things that are true in reality.  Isn't that what you accuse theists of?

Quote:
3. Dawkins receiving a pension is a job?  Harris getting paid to write is a job?  You realize I get donations to write, do video, do podcasts, and maintain websites?

There's a difference.  Dawkins was a college professor and like Harris, he has publishers and probably gets paid for many of the speaking engagements that he does (by the way, have you done any public debates since the Nightline thing?).  They are not relying on "donations".  They are not losers like you are.  So yes, if you write a book and it gets published and can be found in practically every mainstream bookstore in the world, then you can be considered to be a working author.  When you have your little internet essays actually published, let me know and I'll tip my hat to you.  Until then, you are a bum.

 


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock

The God of Rock wrote:

Sapient wrote:

1. Maybe you didn't hear me, I have a full time job, and it isn't this website.  I get an "actual paycheck" as you call it.

There's a difference between things that are only true inside your head and things that are true in reality.  Isn't that what you accuse theists of?

Quote:
3. Dawkins receiving a pension is a job?  Harris getting paid to write is a job?  You realize I get donations to write, do video, do podcasts, and maintain websites?

There's a difference.  Dawkins was a college professor and like Harris, he has publishers and probably gets paid for many of the speaking engagements that he does (by the way, have you done any public debates since the Nightline thing?).  They are not relying on "donations".  They are not losers like you are.  So yes, if you write a book and it gets published and can be found in practically every mainstream bookstore in the world, then you can be considered to be a working author.  When you have your little internet essays actually published, let me know and I'll tip my hat to you.  Until then, you are a bum.

 

Thank you. Your jealousy of Brian is the cause of much mirth in my house.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


The God of Rock
TheistTroll
The God of Rock's picture
Posts: 48
Joined: 2009-01-05
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:This silly

JillSwift wrote:

This silly tirade of GoR's is just an extension of that same emotional response. Being unable to support his faith through reason, he reverts entirely to the emotional.

Actually, there was never any point where I actually defended my views.  In fact, I never made my actual views explicit other than stating some basic rudiments of propositional and predicate logic and showing that your claim that there is no evidence for God is unsupported.  You are the one who attempted to change the subject.  You have no idea what my views are, so you have no idea if I can support them or not. 

If you want me to discuss my views, you can challenge me to a one on one debate.  Do you accept?  I'll do it live with you on Sapient's radio show, if you'd like.

Quote:
By labeling every atheist here, and Brian (who he assumes is our "leader&quotEye-wink especially, as losers he reduces the impact we have on his faith by way of reducing our character.

Once again, you don't know anything about my "faith".  And I didn't reduce anyone's character except for Sapient's.  


Dracos
Posts: 106
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Test gods

There is an experiment you can do to test gods.  I did it when I was about nine years old.  Pick a god, any god, pray to it.  Sincerely ask it to appear and you will worship it forever.  Nothing will happen.  OK pick a devil, any devil.  Same experiment.  Same results.  Every single time.


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock

The God of Rock wrote:

"Curing theism" is not a real job.

I'd like to point out that preaching theism is not a "real job"! And that there are 100's of ways to make money that does not involve working. Your statement is inane. Saying things like what you are saying is indicative of personal problems. You probably have an inferiority complex.

Go here to see if this describes you: 7 Signs You Have An Inferiority Complex

Quote:
Quote:
I would imagine a guy like you is used to hearing, it's not the size that matters.

It would be really convenient for you if that were true, wouldn't it?

I'm sorry you are so lonely. It is a devistating feeling. You probably didn't realize you projected your personal situation did you.

Quote:
Quote:
Richard Dawkins doesn't currently have a job.  Hitchens gets paid by Vanity Fair to write.  Harris is still in school and is not employed.

Dawkins is a retired college professor who no doubt has some sort of pension, and he is a best selling author.  Harris is an author as well. 

You appear to be spying on people. The FBI has compiled a profile of stalkers. See if you are a stalker by reading this article: Stalking the stalker: a profile of offenders

Quote:
Even if trying results in you losing $8,000 per year?  Couldn't you "try" in such a way that isn't laughable and pathetic? 

Last year 100's of businesses lost money. Tons of money. This year will be no different. The most revered banks in the world failed last year, banks like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers: Here is a list of other banks that failed: http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/banklist.html

Again your comments are inane.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock

The God of Rock wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

This silly tirade of GoR's is just an extension of that same emotional response. Being unable to support his faith through reason, he reverts entirely to the emotional.

Actually, there was never any point where I actually defended my views.  In fact, I never made my actual views explicit other than stating some basic rudiments of propositional and predicate logic and showing that your claim that there is no evidence for God is unsupported.  You are the one who attempted to change the subject.  You have no idea what my views are, so you have no idea if I can support them or not. 

If you want me to discuss my views, you can challenge me to a one on one debate.  Do you accept?  I'll do it live with you on Sapient's radio show, if you'd like.

Quote:
By labeling every atheist here, and Brian (who he assumes is our "leader&quotEye-wink especially, as losers he reduces the impact we have on his faith by way of reducing our character.

Once again, you don't know anything about my "faith".  And I didn't reduce anyone's character except for Sapient's.  

Face it son - you want to be Brian so bad you can taste it. Tone down that penis envy and I might take you seriously.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Actually, I never said

Quote:
Actually, I never said that.

Yes, you did. Remember?

Quote:
And you know what?  These guys [Dawkins, Harris & Hitchens] are actually educated above secondary level and have REAL jobs.  So honestly, whatever atheist revolution may happen in the future is going to happen with or without you. If you really want to help this cause, move out of your girlfriend's basement, go back to college, get a degree.... become a school teacher or author... or something.

The above has the implication that the only people capable of doing something for the 'revolution' (I wouldn't call it that, personally; I imagine Hitchens, at least, would disagree with me) are those whom have post-secondary degrees and/or are established authors. If this isn't what you meant, fine - but you should be clearer about what you mean.

Quote:
I do not think Harris or Dawkins meant to imply that we ought to ask children to post a Youtube video of themselves denying the existence of God... and doing so by setting up ads on children's websites.

Well, Dawkins himself did take the Blasphemy challenge (as did Hitchens; I'm not sure about Harris), and so by implication supported the campaign. Atheism is the default (neutral) stance, so I don't see what you're driving at when you mention 'the children' as though Brian has insideously manipulated young minds. Acknowledging a lack of evidence for a deity is not a terrible thing at all to get children to do (certainly not when compared to convincing them to take things on 'faith'... but I'm dubious that you're a theist at any rate, given your rhetoric thus far).

Quote:

I do not think Harris or Dawkins meant to imply that we ought to spend our time 24/7 mooching off of other people and not actually getting a job.

I think if one were to ask Mr. Harris and Mr. Dawkins for advice, they would say quite the opposite.

I agree.

Brian has a job, however. And selling services / products to people is not 'mooching'.

Quote:
You're not the average person.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Who is 'the average person', then?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
The God of Rock wrote:And I

The God of Rock wrote:
And I didn't reduce anyone's character except for Sapient's.  
Liar:

Quote:
You are, shall we say, a minion of Brian's-- probably no better off than he is.

 

But, thank you for admitting, at least, to be engaged in reducing character, rather than observing.

 

No thanks on the debate, your claim above that you proved anything about the existence of evidence for a god or gods shows that you'd just run about in circles and alter definitions to suit yourself. I really don't see the point.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:There's a

Quote:
There's a difference.  Dawkins was a college professor and like Harris, he has publishers and probably gets paid for many of the speaking engagements that he does (by the way, have you done any public debates since the Nightline thing?).  They are not relying on "donations".

Oh, really? Why does that big red button have the word 'donate' written on it, then?

Hm. Looks like they take donations to fight against theism afterall.

 

*Sigh*

Do you recall where the biggest weakness of the atheism movement is that atheists tend not to cooperate with each other on the same level as orthodox theists?

People like yourself are the cause of such flimsiness (of course, I imagine you're well aware. Anarchists love introducing such faults to a given structure).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I do not think Harris

Quote:
I do not think Harris or Dawkins meant to imply that we ought to ask children to post a Youtube video of themselves denying the existence of God... and doing so by setting up ads on children's websites.

Oh - and Dawkins certainly did support the recent campaign to put 'There probably is no God' ads on 800 buses in the UK, where they will obviously be visible to children (some people might also argue that the young woman he's supporting who started the campaign is also a 'child').

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Oh - and

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Oh - and Dawkins certainly did support the recent campaign to put 'There probably is no God' ads on 800 buses in the UK, where they will obviously be visible to children (some people might also argue that the young woman he's supporting who started the campaign is also a 'child').

I wish he would stop copying off of me.  Next thing you know he'll be living in his girlfriends basement and neglecting his children.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


JstNEarthling
JstNEarthling's picture
Posts: 2
Joined: 2008-12-11
User is offlineOffline
making the point

 Whew, I think I speak for most when I ask, what point are you trying to make. Did you proof read your comment? Maybe next time you should as you say your comment is a basic principle of logic, when in reality your statement made no sense whatsoever. Semantics, that's all, semantics and a bad semantic argument at that.

  One more thing. Do not assume we are stupid rock god we know inuendo when we see it and I'll bet you are a christian......

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person