bullying...

Super Kyle
User is offlineOffline
bullying...

This is my first post on this forum so I hope to get a few responses. Let me start off by saying I live in the deep south and I am not the kind of person who tries to spreed my views; however, when asked I clearly state my case in the most polite way I can. Being 6'4 I hardly ever have problems with people (note the word hardly). One day several weeks ago I was minding my own business and I was quickly approached at work(and btw I'm the manager) by an irrational person. They asked, why don't you believe in god? I said there is no proof, and in an extremely loud voice I get "what about the bible!!!". Now I work with the public everyday and that's not a situation I try to stay in so I asked if I could help them with anything and all of a sudden I get ganged up on by 3 people at least a foot shorter than me trying to persuade me by fear. I finally caved in and asked them all one simple question. "Were any of you born with the knowledge of God??" 2 of them were quiet for about 30 seconds but the 3rd kept ranting about "is this all you think life is that you will work here the rest of your life and just die, you think this is it, and there's nothing after your life on this planet!!" and I said, well... yea..

So my question is how many people have been bullied because of there beliefs and what is your story behind it?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Once in basic training I was

Once in basic training I was out with the rest of my platoon polishing boots and bullshitting. One of our drill sergeants came out, and started talking, and the subject of God came up. He said in a very loud and challanging voice, "Anybody here not believe in God?" After a pause in which I cowardly did not raise my hand, he said, "Good."

That's really the only situation in which I've been bullied for my lack of belief, and I cowardly refused to face the bully. I mean, he was my drill sergeant, and there was no way in hell I was going to get noticed any more than necessary.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't really have an

I don't really have an experience to share but welcome!

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Once in

nigelTheBold wrote:

Once in basic training I was out with the rest of my platoon polishing boots and bullshitting. One of our drill sergeants came out, and started talking, and the subject of God came up. He said in a very loud and challanging voice, "Anybody here not believe in God?" After a pause in which I cowardly did not raise my hand, he said, "Good."

That's really the only situation in which I've been bullied for my lack of belief, and I cowardly refused to face the bully. I mean, he was my drill sergeant, and there was no way in hell I was going to get noticed any more than necessary.

I don't think it is cowardly to stay under the radar in situations like that. When someone in a position of power over you challenges dissenters to show then selves, keep quiet. No good can come of revealing your self to be a non-conformst.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:I don't

Jormungander wrote:

I don't think it is cowardly to stay under the radar in situations like that. When someone in a position of power over you challenges dissenters to show then selves, keep quiet. No good can come of revealing your self to be a non-conformst.

I definitely agree it's the rational choice. At the time, I knew it to be the rational choice. I still felt guilty, like I betrayed myself.

Strange thing is, I don't know why I felt guilty.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am also a manager and once

I am also a manager and once had to fire a christian gone crazy.

In late April 2009, I will upload the video to youtube. I want to give it two years.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Super Kyle wrote:  This is

Super Kyle wrote:

This is my first post on this forum so I hope to get a few responses. Let me start off by saying I live in the deep south and I am not the kind of person who tries to spreed my views; however, when asked I clearly state my case in the most polite way I can. Being 6'4 I hardly ever have problems with people (note the word hardly). One day several weeks ago I was minding my own business and I was quickly approached at work(and btw I'm the manager) by an irrational person. They asked, why don't you believe in god? I said there is no proof, and in an extremely loud voice I get "what about the bible!!!". Now I work with the public everyday and that's not a situation I try to stay in so I asked if I could help them with anything and all of a sudden I get ganged up on by 3 people at least a foot shorter than me trying to persuade me by fear. I finally caved in and asked them all one simple question. "Were any of you born with the knowledge of God??" 2 of them were quiet for about 30 seconds but the 3rd kept ranting about "is this all you think life is that you will work here the rest of your life and just die, you think this is it, and there's nothing after your life on this planet!!" and I said, well... yea..

So my question is how many people have been bullied because of there beliefs and what is your story behind it?

Every job I have had when people find out they scoff and snear and treat me like I have a third eye, at first. But that all goes away once they realize that I outwork them and am helpfull to everyone and responible.

I once had a black man(old enough to remember segregated bathrooms) shout me down in front of a laundry mat. I tried to calmly explain to him why, but he just merely repeatedly shouted at me. I just turned and walk away when I realized he had no intrest in learning something new.

My suggestion is not to raise the issue at first, but to lead by example in your every day life. Once people see that you do the same things they do, then some of those people will be less threatened when you present your position.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:That's

nigelTheBold wrote:

Oh, don't be ridiculous. Any military ritual is just for a team answer. If he had asked, "Does anyone here NOT wear women's underwear?" you know nobody would have put their hands up for a good couple of minutes. In that situation, honesty isn't really important. You're part of the team, and the team does everything the same. That's not being a coward, and if you honestly think that you were being cowardly, then you need to take it easy on yourself.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:My suggestion

Brian37 wrote:

My suggestion is not to raise the issue at first, but to lead by example in your every day life. Once people see that you do the same things they do, then some of those people will be less threatened when you present your position.

I agree with you, Brian.  I work in a Catholic Hospital and because of my polite, intelligent, helpful way, most folks assume I am a xtian.  I don't challenge that AT ALL at work.  I just smile and tell them to have a good day or whatnot when they say things such as, "I can see by your smiiiile that you have the lorerd in yer heart" (I live in the south, too) or "gawd bless you, hun" or whatnot.  I would probably lose my job if it were known that I do not believe in the ceiling cat.  

Luckily for me and my other rational friends, we live in a liberal conclave surrounded by fundie repubs.  I have not been bullied (other than my childhood indoctrination), but have some friends that raz me about going to hell and whatnot.  I just raz them about there not being one, so where could I possibly go and whatnot.  It's all good, friendly fun (sortof).

Oh, welcome to the boards Super Kyle!

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
bullied

I was working offshore out of Houma Louisiana and made no secret of my disbelief.

One rather nice christian told me he was going to stick close by me and when he was raptured he was going to "Grab aholt to me"  As we were flying towards heaven he was going to ask  "Do you believe now?"

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:I was working

Dracos wrote:

I was working offshore out of Houma Louisiana and made no secret of my disbelief.

One rather nice christian told me he was going to stick close by me and when he was raptured he was going to "Grab aholt to me"  As we were flying towards heaven he was going to ask  "Do you believe now?"

Wow. There's no limit to what people will believe. You should've asked him how he planned on holding your weight for the entire trip. After all heaven must be awfully far. It isn't in the solar system...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Blasphemer
User is offlineOffline
Well lot of Atheists in

Well lot of Atheists in Holland... No big deal overhere. Guess that´s why Bill O´reilly hates us so much

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I haven't really been

I haven't really been bullied. For those that find out my beliefs I usually get jokes or a lot of questions. Most people just think it's weird.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

I have had several jobs where co-workers tried to bully me.  It didn't work for them and won't work for anyone.