Here we explain our reasoning behind the theories of extraterrestrial life and other astronomical theories.

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Here we explain our reasoning behind the theories of extraterrestrial life and other astronomical theories.

Alright, I have a few ideas to debate/converse upon.

1.  Extraterrestrial life.

Personally I think it is hard for one to believe there is NOT extraterrestrial life, given the size of the universe.  However, whether this life is intelligent is a different topic.

2.  A "Multiverse"?

I do not have the background to explain how there could be other universes beyond this one, so if someone does please tell me what your opinion is.  Personally I think that it is plausible.  But it is also reasonable that the laws of this universe break down when leaving its confines, and when we try to think or pull a gedanken, we just create mathematical constructs that cannot work in another, different universe.  

3.  Worm Holes.

Sure they are mathematically possible.  But you would need an immensely anti-massive, uh... anti-mass to counteract the mass of the black hole.  

4.  Warp Drive.

Possible?  Currently we are working on how to bend space (more than usual, of course) so that we can create a warp drive.  It would get us to a point faster than light speed not by actually travelling faster than light itself, but by expanding space behind a vessel and compressing it in front of said vessel.  Theoretically we could travel many times the speed of light (read: 300X) if we could create such a device.  

Evolution cannot be debated. 'Tis real.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Megatron wrote: Alright, I

Megatron wrote:

Alright, I have a few ideas to debate/converse upon.

Personally I think it is hard for one to believe there is NOT extraterrestrial life, given the size of the universe.  However, whether this life is intelligent is a different topic.

I suspect there is intelligent life throughout the universe. Once life evolves in an hospitable environment, I suspect intelligence is inevitable.

There's no way to prove it without finding intelligent life, though, so my suspicions are about as good as a theist's faith.

Quote:

2.  A "Multiverse"?

I do not have the background to explain how there could be other universes beyond this one, so if someone does please tell me what your opinion is.  Personally I think that it is plausible.  But it is also reasonable that the laws of this universe break down when leaving its confines, and when we try to think or pull a gedanken, we just create mathematical constructs that cannot work in another, different universe.  

There are several models of a possible multiverse. One view of quantum mechanics states that all possible quantum states exist at the same time, and that when a quantum state collapses, all possible states are realized in different universes. This would give a model in which there is at least one dimension to the multiverse, that of the quantum state. Our universe is defined by the precise realized quantum state.

Another model suggests that universes are created when a black hole collapses in a parent universe. The laws of the child universe are similar, but not necessarily identical, to the parent universe. The ability of the universe to produce black holes would be the selection criteria, and so the multiverse could say to be evolving.

My opinion? This has less credibility than the universe teeming with intelligent life. It's possible, sure, but we've no way to test that yet. We don't know how our own universe came to be, so it's a bit premature to speculate whether or not there is a bunch more.

Quote:

3.  Worm Holes.

Sure they are mathematically possible.  But you would need an immensely anti-massive, uh... anti-mass to counteract the mass of the black hole.

Until we can work out warp engines and have the ability to locally change the shape of the universe, there's little we can do with this, even in the unlikely case that wormholes exist.

Quote:

4.  Warp Drive.

Possible?  Currently we are working on how to bend space (more than usual, of course) so that we can create a warp drive.  It would get us to a point faster than light speed not by actually travelling faster than light itself, but by expanding space behind a vessel and compressing it in front of said vessel.  Theoretically we could travel many times the speed of light (read: 300X) if we could create such a device.  

This isn't likely yet. We're still a long way from understanding the nature of space, let alone figuring out how to warp it.

This is all great fodder for SF, but it's hard to think we'll see any of this in our lifetimes. Both wormholes and warping space are basically fantasy at the moment, and may always remain fantasy. We might have hints at a multiverse, and we might discover a signal from a long-dead intelligent race, but our actual chances of seeing any of this come to pass is slim.

At least, from what little I know.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1.  Extraterrestrial

Quote:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I temper my hopes here with the reality that, in our solar system, it so far appears that only 1 planet in 8 harbors any life at all (though, given the literally dozens of moons in the outer solar system yet to be rigorously examined, there's perhaps another orb around our sun that may have life on it yet to be detected; though certainly not technologically advanced life).

Agree with your assertion and Nigel's, however: given the overwhelming scale of the galaxy (much less the universe), it's highly unlikely that there aren't inhabited worlds elsewhere (there's much research that indicates binary solar systems - much more common than single star systems - may, in fact, produce conditions far more favorable for life, in fact, than our solar system), and life likely goes inevitably from microbes to complex & intelligent beings (thanks to natural selection & game theory).

I don't think there's sufficient evidence to substantiate the claims of extraterrestrial visitation. Some stories are more interesting/compelling than others, but the hard proof is always lacking.

Quote:

2.  A "Multiverse"?

While interesting to think about (and, personally, I find the notion of parent/daughter universes that are reproducing easier to intuit than most explanations of the origins of the universe), there's no present way known for falsifying this idea. Not that there's anything wrong with the speculation; I just don't think it'll ever pass muster as conclusively true or untrue anytime in the near future.

Quote:

3.  Worm Holes.

Well, we would simply require a lot of energy to attempt to create one. We don't have anywhere near the capacity to do this, but perhaps may in the future (if we ever create an artificial sun, for example). I think these are one of the best speculative candidates for 'cheating' around relativistic limitations.

Quote:

4.  Warp Drive.

Well, while we (sort-of) know that space can be 'bent' (we call such phenomena 'gravity' Sticking out tongue), we can see the extreme end of what severe bending can do to things attempting to traverse such a well (see: the effects of black holes on surrounding matter). I don't personally think that this is a very good speculative candidate for long-distance travel.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
According to my knowledge I

According to my knowledge I can accept and explain the existence of extraterrestrial life, multiverse (sort of, only 7 of the universes/dimensions ), and a travel faster than light, almost immediate. It's based on my personal observations of etheric matter, which seems to support the idea of subtle worlds cosmology, and other esoteric information. However, I guess this is hard to discuss with present audience.

Btw, as for the multiverse, I had read somewhere, that David Bohm made an alternative physical calculations, which refutes the need for having the universe split on endless possibilities. This is however beyond my education. However, I'm still all for the alternative paradigms in physics, as they seem to support my mystical experiences and mr. Tesla's quote currently in the signature.

As for the 3, Worm holes, if we find one and get into it, what's on the other side? If there is anything extremely massive, maybe antimatter, Jake forbid, then I guess it's not very safe method of travel.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Well, we would simply

Well, we would simply require a lot of energy to attempt to create one. We don't have anywhere near the capacity to do this, but perhaps may in the future (if we ever create an artificial sun, for example). I think these are one of the best speculative candidates for 'cheating' around relativistic limitations.<

What if we harnessed the natural sun's energy?  Or maybe antimatter-matter reactors of some type.  We can collide antimatter with matter, but doing this on a large scale where the energy output is much greater than the input is the problem.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Megatron wrote:Well, we

Megatron wrote:

Well, we would simply require a lot of energy to attempt to create one. We don't have anywhere near the capacity to do this, but perhaps may in the future (if we ever create an artificial sun, for example). I think these are one of the best speculative candidates for 'cheating' around relativistic limitations.<

What if we harnessed the natural sun's energy?  Or maybe antimatter-matter reactors of some type.  We can collide antimatter with matter, but doing this on a large scale where the energy output is much greater than the input is the problem.

Antimatter-matter reactions are never going to be a source of energy, since anti-particles are only present naturally in extremely small and fleeting amounts, maybe in some cosmic rays, for example. They have to be actually 'manufactured' in particle accelerators or similar equipment, require enormous inputs of energy per particle.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I tend to come down on the

I tend to come down on the side of extreme skepticism about most sci-fi technologies.  The thing is, energy is a pretty damn hard thing to come by in most cases.  We've been very lucky to have discovered an easy source of stored energy in fossil fuels -- one that releases a lot more energy than it takes to cause the release.

It's one thing to just glibly spout off about harnessing the energy of a star, but a star's energy is extremely dispursed, and any method of capturing, storing, and converting that much energy is going to require a collosal amount of energy to begin with.  You don't just put up massive collection grids all over the solar system.  Getting out of earth's gravity takes a LOT of energy.  

Fossil fuels are going to run out soon.  When they do, humans are going to be at a very interesting crossroads.  Sure, nuclear energy is a big payoff, but nuclear fuel is not unlimited -- far from it.  Solar, wind, and alternative combustion fuels are all nice, but they're going to have to work extra hard to equal fossil fuels.

Particularly with respect to things like Star Trek transporters, the energy requirements would be phenomenal, not to mention the sheer volume of data that would have to be flawlessly translated, digitized, and retranslated.  Consider that if your DNA were stretched out end to end, it would easily stretch to the sun and back.  That's just your DNA.  Your brain contains around a hundred billion neurons.  In short, to accurately render a human as digital information would require trillions of trillions of bits of data.  Not trillions and trillions... trillions of trillions.  That's just the data requirements.  Now, think of the energy it takes to move up or down a couple of spaces in the periodic table.  It takes a damn nuclear fission reaction to take hydrogen apart, and it's the simplest element.  Not only do you have to take trillions of atoms apart, you have to control that energy and then somehow put it all together again.  Controlling energy takes energy.

Put simply, the act of deconstructing a human, leaving only air behind, and then reconstructing it in another place would take as much energy as running the world for a week or so does now -- if you were really lucky.  I'm sorry... all this beam me up, beam me down... oh, shit, I forgot my pen... beam me back up again shit?  No fucking way.  Maybe one day we can hope to transport a few molecules a couple of nanometers away from their original position, but no... star trek transporters are not gonna happen.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Antimatter-matter reactions

Antimatter-matter reactions are never going to be a source of energy, since anti-particles are only present naturally in extremely small and fleeting amounts, maybe in some cosmic rays, for example. They have to be actually 'manufactured' in particle accelerators or similar equipment, require enormous inputs of energy per particle.<

Yes, that is correct.  But if in the future we do find some way to make antimatter, using less energy than the antimatter can become.  But I agree.  Far future?  Anyone's guess, however unlikely.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Yes, that is

Quote:
Yes, that is correct.  But if in the future we do find some way to make antimatter, using less energy than the antimatter can become.  But I agree.  Far future?  Anyone's guess, however unlikely.

I'll need a physicist to back me up on this, but I'm pretty sure the laws of physics would have to be drastically wrong for this to be a possibility.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I'll need a physicist to back me up on this, but I'm pretty sure the laws of physics would have to be drastically wrong for this to be a possibility. 

Um, you win.  Next time I go back to college I'm going to ask my professor.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm not accepting victory

I'm not accepting victory because I don't have the knowledge to do so.  I am interested in getting a physicist to tell me if I win or not, though.  Maybe deludedgod will weigh in on this at some point.

Books about atheism

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
That's what I'm planning on

That's what I'm planning on doing.  Subjects such as these are still quite fun to ponder.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
My hypothesis about life in

My hypothesis about life in the universe: Life is fairly rare, but plentiful. Our galaxy probably has numerous planets that support life, though probably much less that one planet per star. On the other hand, intelligent life is extremely rare at this point. My hypothesis is that our galaxy probably only has one space-faring life-form: Us.

The reason is actually quite simple. If we look at the history of life on this planet, it took billions of years just to get to multicellular life. Then it took hundreds of millions of years to get to animals with big brains. Then it took tens of millions of years to get animals with culture. Then it took a couple million years to get animals with basic tool kits. Then it took tens of thousands of years to get anumals organized in civilizations. Then it took thousands of years to get science, then hundreds of years to get computers, then decades to get spaceflight, then years to get a global network, etc.

Basically, it's an exponential technology curve. Once humans got their basic toolkit in order, it only took a few thousand years to spread around the whole planet. In the span of life on Earth, that's a blink of an eye.

Once we managed to leave Africa, it didn't take long for humans to be everywhere. The spread of technology is exponential in nature.

Once we manage to create a stable biosphere off of Earth, the spread throughout the rest of the galaxy is just a short matter of time. We will exponentially spread first throughout our solar system, then eventually to another star system, then inevitably we will permeate the whole galaxy.

Assuming we don't blow ourselves up first.

So, with that scenario in mind, you just have to ask yourself, "Assuming there is space-faring life elsewhere in the galaxy, how long would it take them to permeate the whole galaxy?"

And that's not a very difficult thing to estimate. If we assume that FTL is impossible, but speeds at a small fraction of c are possible, say, 0.01c, and that the Milky Way is 100,000 ly in diameter, then the travel time from end to end would be 10 million years.

So, once a technological life-form gains space-faring abilities, an approximate estimate for the time to premeate the galaxy is about 10 million years, give or take.

Even if very conservatively we say that it's more like 100 million years, let's look at the likelihood that there's another space-faring life-form that has been around for ~50 million years (enough time to fill up about half the galaxy).

The age of the sun is 4.5 billiion years. The age of life on Earth 3-4 billion years. So, we can assume that when stars form, life (if it is to arise at all) arises fairly soon after the planets condense.

50 million years is only about 1-2% of the entire span of time life has been around in this solar system.

Think about this for a second. A star has a planet that support life. For 98% of the time, the life is planet-bound. Then, suddenly, poof! That planet generates space-faring life and suddenly that life permeates the whole galaxy. This is how it would be for any stellar system that generates space-faring life.

What this means is that if there's a star out there that spawned space-faring life, and we *just happen* to develop space-faring technology within the same time frame, the odds are greatly against it.

The average age of stars in the Milky Way is about 6.5 billion years, which is older than the sun. The oldest star is about 13 billion years old. Within that time, no star has spawned space-faring life. If it had, then space-faring life would be everywhere, and it would be a miracle that we wouldn't have encountered it.

What's worse is that the more likely it is that space-faring life can develop, the more likely that it already has, and that it already permeates the galaxy. Since we don't see any evidence of this life, then it stands to reason that space-faring life must be very rare.

In fact, the only scenario that makes any sense is if there is *exactly* one other space-faring race out there, and they just haven't made much progress yet. If there were more than one, then the odds would be *really* stacked against the idea that we all just *happened* to develop space-faring within the same 50 million year time-span. The more space-faring life there is out there, the less likely it is that they all happened to develop at the same time. Thus, *if* there is indeed other space-faring life out there, the highest probability is that there's only *one* other instance of it.

Imagine that each planet that harbours life is a runner in a marathon. But the tricky thing is that each runner has started at a different time, runs at a different speed, starts at a different place. The only common thing that ties them together is that they will all finish at the same spot (permeating the galaxy).

As we (one of the runners) approach the finish line, we can vaguely see the finish line. There's no celebration going on, there's no winner obviously standing on a podium holding up a trophy. We are 98% finished the race. Only 2% more to go. Some runners may have approached the finish line, but ran out of steam, hitting 'the wall', as they say, and were unable to finish the race. We ourselves might still hit that wall. But we can definitely see that there's no evidence that any other runner has finished the race.

Since we know that we've been running four about 3-4 hours, and of the marathon we only have about 840 metres to go, and we know that the other runners *could* have easily started 6 hours ago, or even earlier, we start to wonder: Maybe we're the only ones within sight of the finish line. Maybe there are no other runners. Maybe there are, but they all hit the wall. We've got a relatively late start in this race. 

Maybe we're just the fastest? Hmmm. Could be. What are the odds? I'm no statistician, but I think a good case could probably be made that the odds that we are the first space-faring race are much better than 50/50. Probably closer to 90%.

Remember, I've used what I consider pretter conservative estimates. For example, I think it's likely that we'll be able to develop space travel significantly faster than 0.01c, say maybe .05c, in which case, we're actually only about 2 million years from the finish line, which is about 99.95% finished the marathon, which is less than 30 metres from the finish line, and no competitors in sight.

I think 90% is a very safe estimate that we're the first space-faring life in the Milky Way. A corollary of that is that, assuming we don't blow ourselves up, we could have a galactic civilization in less time than it took humans and chimpanzees to diverge from our common ancestor.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby: Look into the work

Hamby: Look into the work being done with ITER. The biggest barrier to the project is the time required to get it off the ground (7+ years), but if it can be done, it'll very rapidly outmode nuclear fission & natural gas power.

Fossil fuel is, frankly, peanuts in terms of eergy output when compared to fusion; comparable to dynamite-based explosives vs hydrogen bombs. Depleting them will only be a problem if (as I fear) we really are as stupid as pessimists like myself suggest.

Hell, even solar power would harness more power than fossil fuel. Bear in mind: all of the energy we extract from fossil fuel was created in the first place by solar energy, converted & condensed into it's present state as plants & animals took it in. The Earth intercepts an astronomical amount of sunlight energy every day - if we used it intelligently, we could easily meet energy demands.

EDIT: Potentially, we could completely eliminate energy demands right now if we bothered ourselves with the task. I really think solar energy needs a solid lobbying group and a few good financial backers (I'm looking at you, Warren Buffet & Bill Gates! Sticking out tongue)

EDIT EDIT: ...Or maybe I just need to drop my North American perspective bias. Apparently Spain is laughing at us in this department (serves us right).

Hm. I wonder if the reality is that North America is destined to become the Eurasia of the future, as the rest of the world smiles and presses onward Jesus-free.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I'm not accepting

Quote:

I'm not accepting victory because I don't have the knowledge to do so.  I am interested in getting a physicist to tell me if I win or not, though.  Maybe deludedgod will weigh in on this at some point.

You win. It's a violation of the conservation of energy.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

You don't need DG to win this one Hamby. Let's examine that post for a moment.

Megatron wrote:
Yes, that is correct. But if in the future we do find some way to make antimatter, using less energy than the antimatter can become. But I agree. Far future? Anyone's guess, however unlikely.

OK, so we are going to get more energy out of the system than we put in? Um no.

This is just a reworking of a much older and fully discredited idea known as an “over unity engine”. Basically, it would be a perpetual motion machine. Thermodynamics basically tells us that this is impossible. Just because particle physics is strange does not mean that it can violate the laws of physics.

Or since you are also asking about warp drives, let me phrase it this way:

Ye' can'nae change the laws of physics captain.

/rimshot.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Antimatter-matter reactions are never going to be a source of energy, since anti-particles are only present naturally in extremely small and fleeting amounts, maybe in some cosmic rays, for example. They have to be actually 'manufactured' in particle accelerators or similar equipment, require enormous inputs of energy per particle.

Speaking of physics, it is inaccurate to refer to sources of energy.

Fossil fuel is often though of as a primary source because we basically just find it in places and we can meaningfully put enough gas in the tank to drive where we want to. However, it really is just a substance in which easily recoverable energy is concentrated. However, fossil fuel is itself a concentration of what was formerly an input to our biosphere in the form of solar energy.

Then too, one can think of solar energy as having an earlier origin. The stuff that makes up stars undergoes certain reactions that consume fuel and produce output. And even that is not the whole of the story as the mass of the star plays the major role.

Larger stars will have a greater amount of gravitational potential energy. The core will be dense and hotter than that of smaller stars. So despite having more mass as fuel, the fact is that the largest stars in the universe actually have the shortest life span ans the smallest stars that barely burn the fuel at any rate can last orders of magnitude longer.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 For clarity, the only

For clarity, the only reason I wasn't prepared to accept victory on my own merit is that I have only read about anti-matter in science magazines.  I don't have any actual class time studying it.  Even though I felt pretty confident that I understood my basic point, I didn't have the scientific right to speak as an authority.  All I could say was that I felt very certain because I thought I was repeating what I've heard reputable physicists say.

Books about atheism

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: For

Hambydammit wrote:

For clarity, the only reason I wasn't prepared to accept victory on my own merit is that I have only read about anti-matter in science magazines.  I don't have any actual class time studying it.  Even though I felt pretty confident that I understood my basic point, I didn't have the scientific right to speak as an authority.  All I could say was that I felt very certain because I thought I was repeating what I've heard reputable physicists say.

Me too, as evident by that getting point getting smashed.  But hey, now I know better.   

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: For

Hambydammit wrote:
For clarity, the only reason I wasn't prepared to accept victory on my own merit is that I have only read about anti-matter in science magazines. I don't have any actual class time studying it. Even though I felt pretty confident that I understood my basic point, I didn't have the scientific right to speak as an authority. All I could say was that I felt very certain because I thought I was repeating what I've heard reputable physicists say.

Well, to be honest, you are inviting me to out myself. So let me just do this and get it over with.

I have, over the years, had a few people with PhDs ask me “Where did you get your degree?” The unvarnished truth is that I have no degree. What I have is a thirst for knowledge that cannot be satisfied by the paper chase. Don't get me wrong here, people like bobSpence1 and DG have done the paper chase and they know what they know. I will not be able to add to some parts of what they say.

However, that does not mean that stuff cannot be meaningfully addressed. The role that I might play would be the one that encourages people to as further questions.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Oh, it's ok.  I have no

Oh, it's ok.  I have no degrees in evolution or evolutionary psychology, but I think you'll find I'm quite competent for a layman.  Same goes for logic and philosophy.  I'm an avid learner, but I've just never had the stomach for physics.  It's one of those things that I look at and think, "I could do that... but I could also get a rusty spoon enema... and I'm not sure which I'd enjoy less."

I have immense respect for physicists, but it's not my cup of tea.

Books about atheism

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Oh, it's

Hambydammit wrote:

Oh, it's ok.  I have no degrees in evolution or evolutionary psychology, but I think you'll find I'm quite competent for a layman.  Same goes for logic and philosophy.  I'm an avid learner, but I've just never had the stomach for physics.  It's one of those things that I look at and think, "I could do that... but I could also get a rusty spoon enema... and I'm not sure which I'd enjoy less."

I have immense respect for physicists, but it's not my cup of tea.

I am in the same boat as you, as evident by my posts earlier.  But a bit less learned in the physics behind antimatter.  And as for my post earlier when I said, "when we can get more energy than we put in", well I just screwed up.  What I meant to ask was if we could produce antimatter as a form of fuel.  I am recovering from salmonella and I'm dehydrated.  Sorry for the stupidity.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Let me work on the

Let me work on the original questions.

First, is extraterrestrial life possible? Sure. We know that abiogenesis has happened once. After all, we are having this conversation.

Given that the universe is highly isotropic, I don't think it at all unreasonable to conclude that abiogenesis is probably inevitable where ever the conditions are right for it to happen.

Worm holes and a multiverse? I choose to take these together. Yes, both are posited by science but the devil is in the details. Lots of things come from the realm of mathematics and may be quite handy at helping us to understand real things. That doesn't mean that everything mathematical must be real.

For example, there is the De Sitter model of the universe. It comes from research into relativity and it allows us to reach a mathematically elegant understanding of our universe. However, De Sitter space cannot have an matter in it or the whole model would break down and not help us with anything.

Another example is M theory. There are no loss of physicists working on it and it seems to be a pretty decent explanation of the universe. It may even be a real model of the real universe (unlike the De Sitter model). However, it cannot at present be tested to determine if it is real. There is some possibility that in the future it may become testable but right now, we can't even say for sure if it will ever become testable.

Worm holes and a multiverse are similar. They emerge from the mathematics of physics but we do not know if they are real and we don't know how to check the ideas out.

Warp drives are in a similar boat. Except that they come originally from science fiction. Yet new areas of research suggest that there may actually be at least one way to implement a warp drive. The one that you seem to be describing is the Alcubierre drive. Here is the wikipedia link on that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Again, we have no clue if we can build that.

Not to be a complete downer, I would observe that it is the process of scientific inquiry that changed the world into what it is today and new things are still being discovered, in fact, the rate at which new things are being discovered is itself increasing.

Of course, we can't right now be sure what will happen more than a couple of years out. Back when I was a kid, I was told that we would have flying cars and hotels on the moon by now. Nobody was predicting lap top computers, the internet, microwave ovens and hi-def TV. For that matter, when I was a kid, porn was some evil thing that only a very few perverts were involved with. Today, it is a multibillion dollar industry that taken as a whole is on par with the IT industry (and in some estimates accounts for more than half the traffic on the internet).

The flying car would still be cool to have but I can live just fine in a world with delicious frozen burritos on demand for a buck (hot in only two minutes) and an unlimited supply of free porn in the privacy of my own home downloading faster than it can play back for $15/month.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote: I'm

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

You win. It's a violation of the conservation of energy.

... and that's just the first problem with it. We're not talking about small amounts of energy when we create anti-matter. If we were able to create enough energy to use anti-matter in a propulsion system (which doesn't make sense anyway), then we'd just make that the propulsion system.

[edit: by "that", I mean whatever it was that got us all this energy in the first place, because it's a lot.]

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Actually, if the

Actually, if the application were a commercial power plant I fully agree with you there. Just build a smaller fusion plant and you can produce plenty of energy. However, there is a possible use for antimatter in rocketry. It is the stuff of science fiction but even so...*

Disclaimer: What follows is fantasy. However, I offer sources and numbers that can be checked and verified. Basically, everything is falsifiable. If someone can poke holes in this then so be it. I invite theists to provide similar work.

Consider the ability to maintain a steady acceleration of 1G as a possible holy grail of rocketry. For cruising around the solar system, there are several designs for uranium fission based reactors that can possibly do that.

Per v=v(o)+at and 3 days at 9.8m/sec/sec, you would only reach a top speed of 0.008 c, so we can ignore relativity. That speed however is also 136,372,226.20 miles (statute) per day. Plenty good enough for whipping around the solar system.

However, if we want to expand beyond the solar system, we are going to need a fuel with a much larger energy density. Fusion has the potential to take us a couple of orders of magnitude up the ladder. Perhaps the closer stars will be reachable. For the long haul, fuel storage will become an issue and antimatter brings us two more orders of magnitude.

If we decide to do this, we will need to take relativity into consideration. Here fuel load will depend on ship time, not earth time. Even so, assuming that we make it through the anticipated near future crises, I suspect that humans probably have the balls to colonize the galaxy. Hells bells, we have had the balls to get this far, is colonizing the galaxy really that hard?

Just for shits and giggles, how far can we go with such a ship? I am using an online calculator for this so the numbers should probably be doubled but even so...

Ship time required to travel:

5 LY=3.7 years

10 LY=4.85 years

25 LY=6.44 years

50 LY=7.71 years

100 LY=9.02 years

150 LY=9.79 years

Seeing a trend here? Just for fun:

500 LY=12.11 years

1,000 LY=13.45 years

5,000 LY =16.56 years

10,000 LY=17.91 years

25,000 LY=19.68 years

50,000 LY=21.03 years

100,000 LY=22.37 years

Then the question becomes one of where we are supposed to get that much antimatter from. Here I will engage in the “”appeal to just how long does it take to build a ship capable of interstellar travel”fallacy”.

Let's build a huge complex of fusion power plants that we need to run an antimatter factory. With a reasonable duty cycle and the time needed to build such a ship, I think that we might really be able to do this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*Websites used for the math:

Newtonian acceleration:

http://www.ajdesigner.com/constantacceleration/cavelocity.php

Metric conversion:

http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/conversions.html

Relativistic acceleration:

http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/script_starship.html

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:And as for my post

Quote:
And as for my post earlier when I said, "when we can get more energy than we put in", well I just screwed up.  What I meant to ask was if we could produce antimatter as a form of fuel.

I knew what you meant.  I figured you know that over unity is impossible, and I got that you were saying, "If we could figure out a low energy way to make antimatter to be used for fuel."  I think that's pretty much saying the same thing as over unity, though.  It's one thing to put some algea in a pot and let them eat and shit some oil (neat stuff, by the way) but that's a chemical reaction.

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Answers in Gene, let's not

Answers in Gene, let's not forget deceleration, if you're already doing the math.

As a side note, I love how much antimatter costs in the Wikipedia article of the same name. They even price it in scientific notation: $6.25 x 1010 per milligram!

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Dammit, Will.  I was

Dammit, Will.  I was halfway through writing that he should take deceleration into account and thought... Gee... I ought to see what Will wrote.

I've done this routine before, but for shits and giggles, I'll mention some of the more important points again:

1) Radiation = Death.  Shielding = heavy.

2) Prolonged weightlessness = death.  Artificial gravity = added size to a spaceship = added weight.

3) Lack of social interaction = madness = death.  Enough people to have a society = added weight.

4) Malfunction at any point during a multi-year journey = death.

5) Being slightly wrong about the destination in virtually any way = death.

6) Drinking nothing but Tang for 12 years = death.

7) Lack of sunlight = death.

Cool I don't feel like going on.  The point is, technical hurdles to deep space travel are brobingdagian.  The technical hurdles are also just the first problem.  The human problems are much harder to solve.  Try committing ten trillion dollars to sending people on a space mission that won't be resolved until all the taxpayers who funded it are dead.  Good luck with that.  Try committing ten trillion dollars to space exploration while Sally Struthers can still find starving African children.  Try convincing twenty people to commit to spending the rest of their lives in a tin can.

Oh... and don't forget, if you're sending people that far, you're going to have to send them with enough supplies to build a habitable environment, even accounting for bad scouting reports.  That's a lot of added weight.

Books about atheism

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Dammit,

Hambydammit wrote:

Dammit, Will.  I was halfway through writing that he should take deceleration into account and thought... Gee... I ought to see what Will wrote.

I've done this routine before, but for shits and giggles, I'll mention some of the more important points again:

2) Prolonged weightlessness = death.  Artificial gravity = added size to a spaceship = added weight.

3) Lack of social interaction = madness = death.  Enough people to have a society = added weight.

Cool I don't feel like going on.  The point is, technical hurdles to deep space travel are brobingdagian.  The technical hurdles are also just the first problem.  The human problems are much harder to solve.  Try committing ten trillion dollars to sending people on a space mission that won't be resolved until all the taxpayers who funded it are dead.  Good luck with that.  Try committing ten trillion dollars to space exploration while Sally Struthers can still find starving African children.  Try convincing twenty people to commit to spending the rest of their lives in a tin can.

Oh... and don't forget, if you're sending people that far, you're going to have to send them with enough supplies to build a habitable environment, even accounting for bad scouting reports.  That's a lot of added weight.

And that is why this is in the realm of science fiction.  I made this thread because I am highly optimistic when it comes to science's ability to progress.  

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I've done

Hambydammit wrote:

To me this is like someone saying, back in Babbage's day, "A calculating machine that can simulate the weather? Why, you'd need billions of gears, and we all know how unreliable clockworks that delicate are. The thing would be the size of London. You'd have to hire the entire country just to perform routine maintenance on it!" Or, in Turing's time, "Do you realize how many vacuum tubes you'd need? It would be enormously expensive. Let alone the power requirements!"

Quote:

Radiation is only a problem close to the star. The ship can pick up an asteroid on arrival for protection at closer orbit.

Quote:

You don't actually need to send living specimens. You can easily send a mechanical ship that has the capability to clone humans on arrival. Stem cells can be frozen and protected by shielding. Alternatively, by that time we might have developed machine consciousness, and can simply send mechanical bodies which are booted up on arrival.

This eliminates any risk to human life during transit. You can guarantee mission success by sending multiple craft to the same destination. If the initial payload is small enough, you could send hundreds/thousands of craft.

Quote:
The human problems are much harder to solve.  Try committing ten trillion dollars to sending people on a space mission that won't be resolved until all the taxpayers who funded it are dead.  Good luck with that.  Try committing ten trillion dollars to space exploration while Sally Struthers can still find starving African children.  Try convincing twenty people to commit to spending the rest of their lives in a tin can.

This again is like saying that gears or vacuum tubes can't lead to transistors and integrated chips without 'colossal' investment. It ignores the fact that small investments can be made and exploited which lead the way to slightly better technologies which lead the way to even better ones, etc.

Travelling to another star is a long way off, for sure. But in between, we will have Earth-orbital environments, Moon and Mars environments, free-floating intra-solar-system ships for transport, asteroid mining camps, etc. Each of these is a small step which leads to bigger and bigger steps.

By the time we try to send humans to another star, I imagine the solar system will be filled with all sorts of self-contained ecospheres at different orbital distances from the Sun, and using different technologies and strategies to survive for long periods in space. The population off of Earth may even rival or surpass the population on Earth.

The thing that will draw people to space is energy. There's a LOT of energy out there. All it takes is for one space-craft to have the technology to self-produce a copy of itself and you're off to the races. This requires the ability to acquire resources (possibly with cooperation from other space-craft, in trade for harnessed solar energy), and the ability to manufacture all the components necessary to copy itself (possibly with the aid of nano-tech or at minimum an auto-factory).

With so much energy and matter resources, if a robust enough intra-solar-system economy develops, then sending a few thousand craft to a nearby star may actually be a trivial investment. Instead of being this monstrous effort you imagine, it may be a "Oh yeah, by the way, let's divert 0.01% of our energy budget to send a mission to Alpha Centauri," situation.

After all, sending Columbus to 'India' didn't break Queen Isabella's treasure chest.

Quote:

Supplies aren't the problem so much as energy is. Once the craft arrives at the star, there will be plenty of asteroids to harvest for material resources.

The real trick is getting a self-replicating technology/biology bundle across interstellar distances. The hard part isn't actually the interstellar distance, although that too is hard. The hard part is the self-replicating technology/biology part, and that's something that will be worked out in the due course of time while we populate the solar system.

Assuming we don't blow ourselves up first. (Which may be the hardest part of all.)

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Natural, I'm going to

Natural, I'm going to admit that I didn't read your post after I saw that you were offering potential solutions to my objections... not because I don't think it's worth responding to, but because I don't like arguing about this.  It's like arguing about Dungeons and Dragons.

My objection to things like warp drive, teleportation, and deep space travel hinges on the following reasoning:

Knowledge is cumulative, and theories are reinforced or discarded.  The odds of a fledgling theory being proved wrong are substantial.  However, the odds of a thoroughly tested and rigorously verified theory being proved wrong are exponentially lower.  For instance, for evolution to be proven wrong would be almost unthinkable.  If we calculated the odds of billions of successful empirical observations reinforcing the theory being wrong, we'd probably end up with a staggeringly low number.

While there are things about the nature of reality that we don't know, our knowledge of physics is similarly reinforced.  We can thread a spacecraft through a frighteningly small gap in the rings of saturn... twice... based on our precise understanding of how matter/energy/gravity interact.

When man said, "Man will never fly," man didn't know jack shit about aerodynamics.  Now, we have computers that can predict the aerodynamic properties of an unrealized prototype -- with fantastic precision.  {EDIT: Got ahead of myself.  Here's the rest of this thought:} In 1850, if someone said, "This craft cannot possibly fly" their opinion should have been treated as that of an ignorant man.   If an aeronautical engineer looks at your plane and says, "That cannot possibly fly" you'd damn sure skip the test flight if you value your life.

This is where people like Michiu Kaku (sp?) and other "futurists" piss me off.  They like fantasizing about the theoretically possible and telling everybody how cool it would be if that turns out to be true.  They don't bother to tell everyone that it's only a theoretical possibility and that it makes better television than the odds-on favorite possibilities.

Most likely, our observations of matter/energy are correct, and light speed is a real barrier.  Most likely, humans will continue to be humans, and a thousand years from now, we'll still be arguing over whether or not Jesuhammed wants women to wear tampons or not.  We won't be uniting as a race and conquering the stars.  We'll be eating jellyfish because we killed everything else in the sea.

Books about atheism

Megatron
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Natural,

Hambydammit wrote:

Natural, I'm going to admit that I didn't read your post after I saw that you were offering potential solutions to my objections... not because I don't think it's worth responding to, but because I don't like arguing about this.  It's like arguing about Dungeons and Dragons.

My objection to things like warp drive, teleportation, and deep space travel hinges on the following reasoning:

Knowledge is cumulative, and theories are reinforced or discarded.  The odds of a fledgling theory being proved wrong are substantial.  However, the odds of a thoroughly tested and rigorously verified theory being proved wrong are exponentially lower.  For instance, for evolution to be proven wrong would be almost unthinkable.  If we calculated the odds of billions of successful empirical observations reinforcing the theory being wrong, we'd probably end up with a staggeringly low number.

While there are things about the nature of reality that we don't know, our knowledge of physics is similarly reinforced.  We can thread a spacecraft through a frighteningly small gap in the rings of saturn... twice... based on our precise understanding of how matter/energy/gravity interact.

When man said, "Man will never fly," man didn't know jack shit about aerodynamics.  Now, we have computers that can predict the aerodynamic properties of an unrealized prototype -- with fantastic precision.  {EDIT: Got ahead of myself.  Here's the rest of this thought:} In 1850, if someone said, "This craft cannot possibly fly" their opinion should have been treated as that of an ignorant man.   If an aeronautical engineer looks at your plane and says, "That cannot possibly fly" you'd damn sure skip the test flight if you value your life.

This is where people like Michiu Kaku (sp?) and other "futurists" piss me off.  They like fantasizing about the theoretically possible and telling everybody how cool it would be if that turns out to be true.  They don't bother to tell everyone that it's only a theoretical possibility and that it makes better television than the odds-on favorite possibilities.

Most likely, our observations of matter/energy are correct, and light speed is a real barrier.  Most likely, humans will continue to be humans, and a thousand years from now, we'll still be arguing over whether or not Jesuhammed wants women to wear tampons or not.  We won't be uniting as a race and conquering the stars.  We'll be eating jellyfish because we killed everything else in the sea.

And that, I suppose, is where the difference between ignorance and intelligence (in the case of the aeronautical engineer) comes into play.  I agree with what you are saying, in the sense that it is a fledgling theory which has no backing.  But I am still optimistic, and believe that we will eventually get to other planets and star systems.  

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
Answers in Gene, let's not forget deceleration, if you're already doing the math.

You are of course correct and I concede the point. The only thing is that I did that intentionally so that I could concede the point.

It was a subtle tactic, I admit but it goes to falsifiability. Go ahead and poke holes in the specifics, I am fine with that. However, compare that to the work of theists. There the only subtlety you will find is that of conceit.

Will people a thousand years from now build ships the size of whole cities, powered by antimatter, and send them to the stars? Honestly, I have no idea. Perhaps the social priority for those people will instead be to build a Dyson sphere. Then antimatter would be a fairly pointless waste of technical expertise. We will have the entire energy output of the sun to work with. That and plenty of space to build houses, so we can get back to the human tendency to fuck like bunnies.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Dammit,

Hambydammit wrote:

Mu-hahaha! I live to torment you! Let's continue!

Hambydammit wrote:

Oh whatever. Like magic robots need shielding. They're magic. Plus, they'll be made in the future. The future has lots of things that are shiny and work great. Don't you know anything?

Hambydammit wrote:

Uh, duh. Thus magic robots. Sometimes I wonder if you ever even went to school.

Hambydammit wrote:

As if anything would ever go wrong. Pff. We've landed guys on the moon no problem. Not a single glitch. Ever.

Hambydammit wrote:

What, you don't like Tang? Okay, I'll stop.

Hambydammit wrote:

This one RIGHT HERE is what annoys me in every single science fiction movie/show I see. Energy. The Matrix is the best example. The robots keep the people alive as human batteries? Without a sun to grow food? Without potable water to grow food? Food grows. I don't care what the hell you're eating, it had to have been organic at some point, or you'll die. You'll just die. Period. In that ridiculous Matrix movie, they would have needed nuclear plants to operate all that machinery, and they would have needed sun to grow the food. Not only sun, but an entire ecosystem. Because you need an entire ecosystem to have food in the first place. Apparently, we're just learning that now, because people have no idea that soil is required to grow plants. And soil requires lots of micro-organisms to be good soil. No ecosystem, no food. But in Matrix Land, you don't even need any of that. No, you can just magically produce Future Gruel. Everyone will eat only one thing, and nothing will go wrong.

Then the sequel - don't get me started on the sequel. Where the hell do they manufacture ammunition? And WHY, when all it takes is an EMP to down the scary machines? Just carry a portable EMP generator! In fact, if you're really serious about destroying machines, make a very large EMP generator, and use your magical energy source to power it. Just wheel that sucker up to the biggest machine you can find, and WHAM, no problem. It's like a movie full of retards! I could go to war against both sides of the human/robot conflict and win single-handedly. Did they only save the mental cripples?

K, sorry about that. I have some Matrix rage.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Will, that same point

Hey Will, that same point about using humans as an energy source has also irritated me about those movies. Totally absurd. Seemed to hark back to real woo-woo beliefs about 'life-force' or 'vital energy flows'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

It was a subtle tactic, I admit but it goes to falsifiability. Go ahead and poke holes in the specifics, I am fine with that. However, compare that to the work of theists. There the only subtlety you will find is that of conceit.

I see. Snea-ky.

Will people a thousand years from now build ships the size of whole cities, powered by antimatter, and send them to the stars? Honestly, I have no idea. Perhaps the social priority for those people will instead be to build a Dyson sphere. Then antimatter would be a fairly pointless waste of technical expertise. We will have the entire energy output of the sun to work with. That and plenty of space to build houses, so we can get back to the human tendency to fuck like bunnies.

I had no idea what a Dyson sphere is, but after looking it up, I just had a good laugh. So thank you for that. Short answer: obviously no. Longer answer: the math says no.

Deludedgod, please. Please, deludedgod, please show up and play math with me on this one. I love the idea of transporting X amount of the natural resources of the earth OFF of the earth, just so we can live in space instead, so that it's much more expensive, energy-consuming, and life-threatening. I love it. It's completely retarded. It's even more retarded than the Matrix. It's the most magically beautiful metaphor for the idiocy of humanity I've ever seen.

So let's see ... even for a Dyson ring, we'd need to create a circle of solar collectors with a radius of ... oh, let's say 1,000 km? *snicker* K, so the circumference of this thing would be ... ooh, I can do that in my head: 3,141,600 km. Nice. Let's say it's made up of equal parts solid material and spaces along its length, and divide it roughly in half, giving us 1,500,000 km of space station/solar collectors. Now let's give our collectors width at half the length (like a rectangle), and give the stations a depth of say half a kilometer. Sounds fair. *chortle* That gives us a volume of ... 562,500,000,000 km3. Now, we should assume that only 25% of the volume of these things is actually material, and the rest is empty. That leaves us with ... 140,625,000,000 km3 of material to move into space for these stations .

Should be no problem. If the surface area of the earth is ~150,000,000 km2, and with mining efficiency being what it is, it should probably only take a couple of planets worth of material ... TO MAKE HABITABLE SURFACES THAT ALREADY EXIST ON ONE OF THOSE PLANETS.

Whoo! I have a feeling I overreacted there. Feeling a little environmental today.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Hey Will,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Hey Will, that same point about using humans as an energy source has also irritated me about those movies. Totally absurd. Seemed to hark back to real woo-woo beliefs about 'life-force' or 'vital energy flows'.

(And the rage returns.)

I KNOW! We're possibly the shittiest idea for a battery ever. We drain energy.

If you want a battery, you can make a battery out of sea-water. SEA WATER! There's no way these robots would have stayed operational long enough to do any damage at all, much less repair each other. With that kind of inventive capacity, they would have already invented the robot that shuts off all the other robots to save power, and it would have decimated them in 10 minutes.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Hey

BobSpence1 wrote:

I have to agree with you there. In the speech where Morbius explains the matter, didn't he say something to the effect of “a new form of nuclear energy plus the battery tanks”?

Huh? Wut?

If the robots had fusion what were the battery tanks for again?

HisWillness wrote:
I see. Snea-ky.

How sneaky could I have been? I posted an explicit declaration that that was what I was doing in large type and bold face.

As far as what we will do a thousand years from now, again, I don't know and I don't care. Unless science can provide a way for me to live that long. Then I will. However, I refuse to cross that bridge until I come to it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In any case, you obviously don't read science fiction. If you did, you would have known about Dyson Spheres. You also would have known that a Dyson ring is known as a Ring World.

If you can find the time, I would suggest that you read “Ring World” by Larry Niven. Especially the author's note where he talks about receiving a detailed engineering proposal from Freeman Dyson.

After that, please read "Variable Star” by Robert A. Heinlien and Spider Robinson. The basic presentation is that of an autobiographical work by a passenger on a city sized starship headed for a star fifty light years away.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This is where people

Quote:

And this is where you piss me off. Sticking out tongue

You're effectively tossing-out the creationist Irreducible Complexity argument: 'How can something as complex as the human eye have come from a bacteria? HUH???'

Quote:

February 27, 1940

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Deludedgod, please.

Quote:

Deludedgod, please. Please, deludedgod, please show up and play math with me on this one.

Well, there's not much more to say.

I simply cannot envision anyone bothering to build a Dyson sphere. This is where the fun starts. A Dyson sphere encloses a star. So if we position it around a star with the same HZ class as our own, to sustain it at liveable temperatures, it would have to have a uniform radius of about 1.5x1011m, hence an SA of about 2.82x1023m2. So, if we built it 1 kilometer thick, we need a volume of about 2.82x1026m3. The only way to get that much matter is to take planets to pieces. The earth has a mass of about 1024kg, so factoring in the varying density of the object, you could safely say that you'd have to harvest every last scrap of matter from a few good sized planets, which needless to say is ridiculous since only a small portion of the material present in the planet will be suitable for constructing a Dyson sphere, so you would need many more planets (terrestrial ones too. Gas giants are no good. And unfortunately, gravity limits the size of terrestrial planets). The idea of taking planets apart to build a habitat in space strikes me as utterly ridiculous.

Frankly, the idea of living in space is completely retarded. Fantastically retarded. Surely, if it ever got to the point where we were looking for somewhere else it would make vastly more sense to find other Earth like habitats instead of trying to build one.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uh. We already have a Dyson

Uh. We already have a Dyson Ring upon which to put solar collectors.

We call it 'the asteroid belt'.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

How sneaky could I have been? I posted an explicit declaration that that was what I was doing in large type and bold face.

I'm just messing with you - I'm in a funny mood, and on the internet. It's a terrible combination.

In any case, you obviously don't read science fiction.

I has been a while, but I was into science fiction for a bit there. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm one of those assholes who can see the work in everything. Mind you, not "no way, that'll take too long (whine, whine)", but "that should take us two and a half years with three people" and then dead silence. Anyway, unless the writer is really imaginative (like, say, Heinlein) I have a hard time with a lot of the premises. I think Heinlein's "Friday" was a pretty good guess at the future. Corporations becoming as powerful as states, short-distance travel is by horse ... very fun.

If you did, you would have known about Dyson Spheres. You also would have known that a Dyson ring is known as a Ring World.

I would also know that it makes No Sense. I can stretch my suspension of disbelief only so far. It makes me a dick, I know, but I used to do software project management, and it scarred me for life. A Ring World presents so many immediate problems that I can't even list them. How do you even get past the part where it takes an entire planet just to get the raw materials for the ring? Then you have to get your parking space in orbit just right, and not suffer any orbital degradation.

OR you could settle on a planet. A planet that already has a built-in ecosystem, billions of years in the making. 

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
DG, I fully agree with

DG, I fully agree with you. Antimatter star drives and Dyson spheres are in the realm of guessing about the future. And that offers no solutions but creates lots of problems. The fact is that we simply are not going to do any of that unless we solve lots of little problems that lead to bigger solutions a thousand or more years from now.

Speaking of guessing about the future, when I was a kid, I was told that we would all have flying cars today. However, that did not happen. What did happen is three store on every block that can sell me a frozen burrito and has a “magic box” that can turn it into a delicious snack in two minutes.

That much happened in the space of about forty years. Talking about what might happen in a thousand or more years is just nutty.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I would also know that

Quote:

I would also know that it makes No Sense. I can stretch my suspension of disbelief only so far. It makes me a dick, I know, but I used to do software project management, and it scarred me for life. A Ring World presents so many immediate problems that I can't even list them. How do you even get past the part where it takes an entire planet just to get the raw materials for the ring? Then you have to get your parking space in orbit just right, and not suffer any orbital degradation.

OR you could settle on a planet. A planet that already has a built-in ecosystem, billions of years in the making.

Will, I'm not sure you understand what Dyson was conceptualizing. The 'Dyson Sphere / Dyson Ring' is not some megalithic, super-industrial pipe-dream project; it's an (hypothetical) emergent system resulting from reaching into space for more materials & energy. The 'ring' is made out of inidivdual spacecraft / habitats that are self-sustaining, likely adrift one or two AUs from the sun in the asteroid belt, mining away.

Orbital degradation is either stopped by use of solar sails, or by being anchored to an asteroid / dawrf planet. Sticking out tongue

I'm not sure it's likely, but I hardly find it implausible.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Well,

deludedgod wrote:

No, that was perfect. I just needed at least one more pocket protector in the fray, because these ideas occasionally annoy me. Not because they're fanciful, or even unrealistic, but that when people say, "oh, someone smart will think of something", they mean the people with the math. So it's apparently up to "nerds" to fix the problems of the idiots in high school who picked on them for being nerds. The same idiots who are trying their best to simultaneously overpopulate and wreck the earth, and are doing it with the kind of flair only possible through petulant entitlement. A Dyson sphere is exactly what they would want us to build. No, no - don't help out here on earth, where conditions are PERFECT for life. No, our "population pressure" means we're going to have to go out to the stars, and gather more energy for electronic devices so we can ask each other "Where are you? Can you hear me now?" a BILLION times a day.

No. Clean your room, humanity, and don't come out until you're finished.

deludedgod wrote:
Frankly, the idea of living in space is completely retarded. Fantastically retarded. Surely, if it ever got to the point where we were looking for somewhere else it would make vastly more sense to find other Earth like habitats instead of trying to build one.

One would only hope.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Will,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Will, I'm not sure you understand what Dyson was conceptualizing.

Oh, I get it all right.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
The 'Dyson Sphere / Dyson Ring' is not some megalithic, super-industrial pipe-dream project;

Certainly not megalithic ("big stone" ), as it's broken into disconnected parts, making trade and transportation more difficult, but definitely a super-industrial pipe-dream.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
it's an (hypothetical) emergent system resulting from reaching into space for more materials & energy. The 'ring' is made out of inidivdual spacecraft / habitats that are self-sustaining, likely adrift one or two AUs from the sun in the asteroid belt, mining away.

Mining away on what? And who wants to be the first couple of spaceships out there without supplies? "Self-sufficient" is a tall order. A really, really tall order. As deludedgod wrote, there's the problem of heating these ships, for one thing. Then there's gravity. Oh, and getting enough sunlight to grow plants. Oh, and ...

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Orbital degradation is either stopped by use of solar sails, or by being anchored to an asteroid / dawrf planet. :P

Both of those things involve the input of so much energy that I don't know why anyone would do it.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
I'm not sure it's likely, but I hardly find it implausible.

I just find it unlikely that anyone would have the kind of resources to continue to want to do it. It's like trying to set up a gated community, only one that hovers two meters above the ground at all times just in case. Only times a BILLION.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:  

HisWillness wrote:

I'm just messing with you - I'm in a funny mood, and on the internet. It's a terrible combination.

Then I declare you, sir Bedevir, a Knight of the Round Table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU

Side note: how do I  embed video?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Natural,

Hambydammit wrote:

Natural, I'm going to admit that I didn't read your post after I saw that you were offering potential solutions to my objections... not because I don't think it's worth responding to, but because I don't like arguing about this.

Well, I can understand if you don't like arguing about it, but you replied, so I'm going to reply to your reply. Feel free to reply, or not.

Quote:
  It's like arguing about Dungeons and Dragons.

Except D&D was about mythical creatures and magic, and this is about technology and science... Slightly different.

Quote:

Just for the record, I'm not supporting warp drive or teleportation or any of the 'magical' sci-fi stuff (and yes, I did call it sci-fi, as in the pejorative). I'm sticking purely to what we currently know about physics, plus conjecture about technology based on reasonable trends.

Quote:

Definitely with you there.

Quote:

Still with you.

Quote:

I won't be mentioning wormholes or anti-matter or force fields. Pretty much just basic technology. Maybe the furthest I'll go is fusion. Maybe quantum computing, but not probably not. Maybe nano, but not the 'build anything you want' kind, rather the kind we already have, extrapolated out based on current trends. In fact the most important technologies I'll require are ones that are pretty uncontroversial: Biotech and manufacturing.

Quote:
Most likely, our observations of matter/energy are correct, and light speed is a real barrier.

Agreed.

Quote:
  Most likely, humans will continue to be humans

Most likely, we'll be using genetic engineering, prosthetics, tissue cloning, stem cells, and various other technologies to prolong life.

We may even eventually get machine consciousness, but my argument does not rely upon it.

Quote:
, and a thousand years from now, we'll still be arguing over whether or not Jesuhammed wants women to wear tampons or not. 

Maybe we will. But we'll also be arguing over things we can't even imagine right now. A thousand years ago, who would have imagined that we'd be arguing over weapons that could destroy all intelligent life, abortion, cloning, pollution, whether a woman could lead a country or even the whole world, etc. etc.? The world today is very little like it was 1000 years ago.

I predict three possibilities: In a thousand years, we are either extinct, in a massive dark age, or we are way incredibly beyond where we are now. The possibility that you seem to be promoting, that we are basically as we are now, but with slightly more interesting toys, is in my mind incredibly unlikely. You would have to ignore all the technological and cultural trends of the past three thousand years. Suddenly, in 2008, we are at the apex, and there's nowhere to go from here. Doesn't wash, in my view. We either follow the trends up, or we crash, and possibly burn.

Quote:
We won't be uniting as a race and conquering the stars.

My argument doesn't require uniting as a race. It only requires surviving long enough to create self-replicating biospheres in space.

----

There is nothing implausible about sending a mechanical ship to another star. We already have Voyager 1 and 2 on their way to interstellar space, and that was with 1970s technology.

The only trick is to have that craft a) survive and remain viable for the whole trip, and b) transport enough technology and energy to re-create consciousness once it arrives at its destination.

These are not 'magical' scenarios. NASA has already researched several different methods of interstellar travel. They think they can get to 0.1c. My scenario doesn't even require that. It could work with 0.01c. That would make the trip to Alpha Centauri somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1000 years, and that's with my conservative 0.01c. A thousand years in interstellar space is nothing to a machine. It doesn't even have to be operating. Interstellar space is like the best possible preservative, compared to conditions on Earth.

Even if the chance of failure is 90%, just send 50 of them, and your chance of failure drops to less than 1%.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Mining away on

Quote:
Mining away on what?

Metals on Ceres, Vesta, Pallas, Hygiea and various other asteroids, as well as innumerable volatiles and fuels in the Jovian & Saturn system (Helium 3 is a big, yummy one).

Quote:
And who wants to be the first couple of spaceships out there without supplies? "Self-sufficient" is a tall order.

A cosmologically short-term biosphere is quite possible to create using plants for food (as they photosynthesize the abundant solar energy, no longer held at bay by an atmosphere away from the Earth) as well as oxygen; in fact, it's been done already. Long-term stays would be a much taller order, yes, though by terraforming Mars we circumvent the problem of distance and cost-prohibitive escape velocity from a host planet.

The Earth was able to spontaneously generate a habitable, self-sustaining environment (powered strictly by solar energy). I'm dubious of a claim that says an intelligent agency can't artificially perform a similar task.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I had no

HisWillness wrote:
I had no idea what a Dyson sphere is, but after looking it up, I just had a good laugh. So thank you for that. Short answer: obviously no. Longer answer: the math says no.

Deludedgod, please. Please, deludedgod, please show up and play math with me on this one. I love the idea of transporting X amount of the natural resources of the earth OFF of the earth, just so we can live in space instead, so that it's much more expensive, energy-consuming, and life-threatening. I love it. It's completely retarded. It's even more retarded than the Matrix. It's the most magically beautiful metaphor for the idiocy of humanity I've ever seen.

So let's see ... even for a Dyson ring, we'd need to create a circle of solar collectors with a radius of ... oh, let's say 1,000 km? *snicker* K, so the circumference of this thing would be ... ooh, I can do that in my head: 3,141,600 km. Nice. Let's say it's made up of equal parts solid material and spaces along its length, and divide it roughly in half, giving us 1,500,000 km of space station/solar collectors. Now let's give our collectors width at half the length (like a rectangle), and give the stations a depth of say half a kilometer. Sounds fair. *chortle* That gives us a volume of ... 562,500,000,000 km3. Now, we should assume that only 25% of the volume of these things is actually material, and the rest is empty. That leaves us with ... 140,625,000,000 km3 of material to move into space for these stations .

Should be no problem. If the surface area of the earth is ~150,000,000 km2, and with mining efficiency being what it is, it should probably only take a couple of planets worth of material ... TO MAKE HABITABLE SURFACES THAT ALREADY EXIST ON ONE OF THOSE PLANETS.

Problem: There is only ONE of those planets. It has limited access to energy from the sun, due to its compact nature. One ecosystem can be destroyed by one catastrophe.

Solution: Spread out. There can be multiple ecospheres, which by their nature can survive numerous catastrophes. The more spread out you are, the greater access to the Sun's energy.

You don't need to have a Dyson sphere. That's just a theoretical concept to illustrate an idea about how to detect if there's advanced life out there in the universe. It doesn't actually need to be a contiguous sphere. Imagine a Dyson forest. A bunch of little biospheres, millions, billions, trillions, such that they collectively absorb almost all of the sun's energy. It serves the same role as a Dyson sphere (converting visible light to infrared), but suffers none of the drawbacks you mentioned.

A Dyson forest, by its nature could be built one biosphere at a time, through replication. It is not at any fixed orbit, and therefore can adjust to seek out resources, either energy (from the sun) or material (from asteroids, moons, and eventually planets). It doesn't require a huge upfront investment. It can be grown as big as the material available allows. Using computer guidance and various forms of propulsion, the individual biospheres could maintain mutually harmless orbits, avoiding most collisions. And best of all, no magic is necessary.

----

The key thing to realize is that technology is like another form of life. A city is like a colony of bacteria, just a little more complex. All you need is a stable and self-replicating biosphere, and evolution will take over. As we know from evolution, life will spread and adapt to take advantage of *every* niche it can.

The thing about space is, vast quantities of energy to harvest. If biospheres can replicate and harness the sun's energy, they will. It won't take a massive effort to unify humanity, it won't take a huge investment or a complicated plan. It will just happen naturally. The only limit will be resources, and there's plenty of resources in space, especially if you don't have to constantly pull them out of a gravity well. All you need is an economy to trade material resources for harvested energy, and you've got yourself a working ecology.

Initially, it will be just exploration, as it is now. But as the technology becomes refined, it will be more and more feasible to keep humans up for longer and longer periods. Eventually someone will have the First Baby in Space. You *know* that's going to happen. It's only a matter of time.

Assuming we don't blow ourselves up first.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a couple of thoughts on

Just a couple of thoughts on asteroid mining. Wasn't astroid 433 determined to be mostly gold, platinum, silver, and aluminum, valued at roughly 20,000 billion dollars? And doesn't asteroid 3554 contain something like 30 times the amount of metal that has ever been mined from the Earth? It seems as though asteroid mining would be profitable, despite the costs of getting there.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:deludedgod

HisWillness wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

No, that was perfect. I just needed at least one more pocket protector in the fray, because these ideas occasionally annoy me. Not because they're fanciful, or even unrealistic, but that when people say, "oh, someone smart will think of something", they mean the people with the math. So it's apparently up to "nerds" to fix the problems of the idiots in high school who picked on them for being nerds.

I take offense at that. I *am* one of the nerds.

Quote:
The same idiots who are trying their best to simultaneously overpopulate and wreck the earth, and are doing it with the kind of flair only possible through petulant entitlement. A Dyson sphere is exactly what they would want us to build. No, no - don't help out here on earth, where conditions are PERFECT for life. No, our "population pressure" means we're going to have to go out to the stars, and gather more energy for electronic devices so we can ask each other "Where are you? Can you hear me now?" a BILLION times a day.

Whoah, some form of projection or something going on here. I'm definitely not one who proposes solar-system colonization as a way to relieve population pressure, nor am I one who is complacent to wreck the Earth. In fact, that's exactly what I'm fighting *against*.

My whole philosophy poses the question to me constantly: Assuming we do spread out into the galaxy, will we be worthy of it? Will we just become the new interstellar bacteria, consuming and destroying as we go? Or can we become something better?

I am completely against what I call 'consumptionism', which is basically what you're railing against.

However, solar-system colonization is inevitable -- assuming we don't blow ourselves up first. Since it's inevitable, it's worth exploring the idea. It's worth trying to find a way that we can do it without becoming bacteria-with-brains. We cannot just ignore the possibility just because we're dissatisfied with the way things are down here.

Quote:
No. Clean your room, humanity, and don't come out until you're finished.

I agree, but this is not an argument against colonization. It's an argument *for* political and cultural change down here, and soon.

Quote:
deludedgod wrote:

One would only hope.

Major problem with DG's idea: There is only one such planet that we know of.

In the mean time, the only viable options to living off of Earth are sustainable biospheres.

Oh, and Will, notice the word 'sustainable'. That's the ticket for political change down here. That's the argument you should be making. We need a sustainable society for two reasons: So the Earth doesn't die, and so we can colonize space responsibly. The same argument solves both of the problems you've raised.