Funny the way air travel physics work

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Funny the way air travel physics work

Extremely poor weather conditions have left all air traffic at a standstill throughout NA.

 

Well, except for the aircraft flying Bush and Obama home to see their families. Those airplanes have had the weather conditions suspended just for them.

Fuck, I hate people.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
God (and the FAA) don't work

God (and the FAA) don't work just for powerful people.

My neice made it in this morning. She was lucky, but she made it in.

If only they hadn't been able to get her dog on the plane...

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Ouch. Is the pooch lost, or

Ouch. Is the pooch lost, or just stuck at the airport?

 

Glad to hear your niece made it. I'm just cranky this time of the year, and hearing this little tale on the news really bit my ass.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Ouch. Is

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Ouch. Is the pooch lost, or just stuck at the airport?

 

Glad to hear your niece made it. I'm just cranky this time of the year, and hearing this little tale on the news really bit my ass.

Nah, the dog is fine, here at home.

Fighting with my dogs. *sigh* They'll work it out.

Yeah, the weather's been shitty, leaving lots of people stranded, including other family members. And there are exceptions made for people with clout, meaning political power and/or money. I understand completely.

I was just making it all about me. That's all.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
LMAO.Free markets at

LMAO.

Free markets at work.

I'm sure if you work really hard and do something great or even infamous then you too will be able to enjoy all of the benefits of your labor. [/sarcasm]

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:LMAO.Free

darth_josh wrote:

LMAO.

Free markets at work.

I'm sure if you work really hard and do something great or even infamous then you too will be able to enjoy all of the benefits of your labor. [/sarcasm]

 

Seeing as air travel is not a free market at all, I am laughing my ass off too that you type this. What on earth made you think that air travel in the US is a free market?

Also, Bush and Obama fly private jets. If commercial airlines decide to shut down air travel for safety reasons, private jets can still travel. Though it is funny that it is too dangerous to allow commercial jets to fly, but we will allow Presidents to roll the dice and hope their plane isn't taken down by the weather.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Well, it was supposed to be

Well, it was supposed to be funny.

Get enough money and you too could travel on the holidays even if everyone else can't.

It was supposed to be sarcasm. They have sarcasm, even in Canada. Don't they?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Well, it

darth_josh wrote:

Well, it was supposed to be funny.

Get enough money and you too could travel on the holidays even if everyone else can't.

It was supposed to be sarcasm. They have sarcasm, even in Canada. Don't they?

I'm from the US, and I rarely catch internet sarcasm. I think conveying sarcasm in type is hard. Its no big deal though, I misread your post and responded to it as though you meant it literally. And it is a bit funny that we let them fly in conditions too dangerous to allow commercial flights in.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Here I will agree with

Here I will agree with Josh.

 

This would be the side of capitalism that occasionally has me mentally punch a fist into the air whever I hear that an icon of wealth somewhere has slipped on his debt and taken a good fall down the proverbial rungs of capitalism to experience life at the bottom for a while (terrible as that likely makes me sound).

 

If Communism's just a joke, Capitalism's just a bar fight.

Always seems like a good idea while you're loaded.

 

I wish we were clever enough to invent a really good system.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I wish

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I wish we were clever enough to invent a really good system.

 

Take all of the bad pieces out of the system you have. See what you get then. lol.

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13823
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
WHAT THE LIVING "f"Here is

WHAT THE LIVING "f"

Here is the problem with the human species in general. We are in such a rush to be the alpah male and in such a rush to get it done yesterday.

How much does a jetliner weigh? How many parts does it have? If a airline counter attendent told me that I had to wait a couple hours because of weather, I WOULD THANK THEM! What good does taking off on time do you if the mechanic cant do his job because of time preasure and he makes a mistake? It is not like jets offer parachutes.

I am so sick of the global McMedia get it done yesterday.

I took a trip to Japan a long time ago. My flight was delayed 2 hours because of a hurrican in the Pacific. You know what I did. I WENT UP TO THE COUNTER AND THANKED THEM!

I even get pissed at people who complain that the toilets overflow because they sat on a snowy runway. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE THEM DO? SKID OFF THE RUNWAY AND KILL YOU?

I'd rather risk crapping my pants than have the plane I am riding in drop like a rock from 40,000 feet because some corperate dick said my flight had to take off on time because some dickhead CEO in first class cared more about money than my safty.

FUCK YOU! If getting there faster is more important then why do we have seatbelts and speed limits?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
I don't disagree with any of

I don't disagree with any of that, Brian. The thing is - as I understand it - the airport authorities (largely) have all of the de-icing equipment and runway clearing vehicles to allow flights to go ahead, and in their opinion (in most areas), there was not a serious safety concern.

Air Canada and other major air transit companies decided to take a two-faced approach to the non-problem, however: Have all of their chartered flights run as scheduled and offer open seats up from them at gouged prices to stranded passengers from normal flights, which were cancelled 'due to the weather' (a bullshit excuse).

Passengers then had to opt between refunding their tickets and getting onto a seat on a charter plane for $1800.00 or so, or sleep at the airport until the standard flights were flying again.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940