This is either tremendously cool... or quite a hoax.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is either tremendously cool... or quite a hoax.

Quote:

Scientists Hack Cellphone to Analyze Blood, Detect Disease, Help Developing Nations

By Dave Bullock

12.20.08 LOS ANGELES — A new MacGyver-esque cellphone hack could bring cheap, on-the-spot disease detection to even the most remote villages on the planet. Using only an LED, plastic light filter and some wires, scientists at UCLA have modded a cellphone into a portable blood tester capable of detecting HIV, malaria and other illnesses.

Full story here.

I really can't decide if this is for real or not. I hope it is.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 No reason it wouldn't be.

No reason it wouldn't be. The camera cellphone is the perfect platform for it, too. Finally, a good use for cellphones.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Todd
User is offlineOffline
I remember hearing a new

I remember hearing a new story some months ago about a very clever lensless microscope that uses a tiny tube to move cells past microscopic appatures.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: No reason it

Quote:
 No reason it wouldn't be. The camera cellphone is the perfect platform for it, too. Finally, a good use for cellphones.

One of my friends called me on his new Iphone, and told me about all the shit he's downloaded for it.  It's a wireless mouse for his computer.  It's a flashlight.  It's a GPS navigator.  It's a dictation machine.  These fucking things do everything.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit if this were true.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
My concern was the

My concern was the resolution of the camera. But as I've read up on the "LUCAS" idea, you don't need nearly as much info as I expected, and the lower resolution speeds the analysis.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray