Why hate us? We did nothing to you. [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Why hate us? We did nothing to you. [YOU RESPOND]

From: hughes.read@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:51 PM
Subject: [Hate Mail] why?

Read sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because
we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

 


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
hughes.read@gmail.com

hughes.read@gmail.com wrote:
Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because


we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

I'll tell you what. You and yours stop passing laws to shove your version of morality down my throat, and I'll stop reminding you that your religion is a delusional pile of steaming poo. K? Is a deal?

Merry Cristmyass!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hy im a christian but

Quote:
Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because

we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

hy. i name kevin.

it look like u go 2 same englesh schul as me. wat year u gradueat?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
And in the "we did nothing

And in the "we did nothing to you" category comes our original poster from a few weeks before this....

 

 

From: hughes.read@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:45 PM
Subject: [Hate Mail] u make me sick

Read sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

u should feal ashamed for this! I hope u know your going to hell have a
dirty cell!

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3711
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hy im a christian but

Quote:
Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because
we believe in god and we know u are going to hell

Hello.

I'm not going to scream at you either. 

Quote:
doesnt mean u have to preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever we want

Excuse me? You're telling me atheists are the ones that preach? By the way, just so we don't get confused about the first amendment, you have a right to believe whatever you want, but I also have a right to tell you that you're wrong. What I don't have the right to do is to put my beliefs into law and trespass on other people's rights.

Quote:
so can you just please start making things more friendly (that christmyass thing last year made me cry)

Are you referring to the controversial sign in Washington state? Do you even understand the issues involved in that event? If Christians have the right to put a Nativity scene then every belief system has a right to promote their beliefs. Tit-for-tat. Unfortunately, your righteous brethren decided to steal the sign instead of discussing the issue in a mature manner. Your plea here has no rational basis, just that the existence of a public entity promoting alternative beliefs disturbs you. Think about it.

Quote:
just present your evidence and stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

I don't hate Christians. I hate the results of fundamentalist thinking.

 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


RatDog
atheistSilver Member
Posts: 562
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: hughes.read@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:51 PM
Subject: [Hate Mail] why?

Read sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because
we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

 

I don't hate you.  I don't really hate anyone.  Hate is a lot of effort with no real reward.  That said I think your religion is crap, and I have every right to say so, just as you have a right to say I'm going to hell.  Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.  Please try developing some tolerance for people who disagree with you, it makes life a lot easier.  

  


anniet
Silver Member
Posts: 325
Joined: 2008-08-06
User is offlineOffline
Quote:and stop hating us we

Quote:

and stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

For starters, you've lied to me.  Brainwashing is not something I take lightly as it screws with a person's mind and self awareness. 

Christians have a long history of excluding sectors of society from the mainstream.  Fortunately you are not allowed to randomly execute the people you don't like anymore just for kicks.  The most vociferous climate change deniers and warmongers I know are christian.  We all pay for your ignorant mistakes.  And then on the personal level, there are the christians who decide our kids shouldn't be friends when they find out I am an atheist.  Explaining this to my kid is not fun.  I could go on, but I'm bored.  Btw - I don't hate you.  I feel for and get highly irritated with christians, but I don't care enough to hate you.

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.


Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
Posts: 459
Joined: 2006-10-06
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

Please learn to tell the difference between "I" and "We". It is bad practice to speak for others who you can't speak for. Have you personally done anything? Maybe not. Have Christians in general? Absolutely. And have been doing so for ages. Literally. We don't always mean everything to apply specifically to every specific Christian, but atheists rarely say things about Christianity that don't apply to at least some particuarly obnoxious subset of Christians. Evaluate on your own whether it applies to you or not rather than just take our word for it. For that matter, apply the same evaluation to your Church.

I personally don't hate, but there's hatred on both sides, so don't go thinking your "team" isn't guilty of it too. And evidence tends not to work, because very often somebody's will to continue being a Christian surpasses their will to be rational and considerate of evidence. This isn't a problem specific to Christianity, but it's still a prominent one in it.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Why do Christians take it

Why do Christians take it personally? Certainly in the west atheists run mostly into Christians. But rest assured we don't pick on one deity or one religion but all fantastic naked assertions.

What humans are famous for in human history is making up stories and selling them as fact. You cannot honestly tell me that a being with no body knocked up a girl or that human flesh survived rigor mortis.

I am a bad speller myself, but judging your shorthand I wonder if you will even understand this.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Yaerav
Bronze Member
Posts: 103
Joined: 2008-02-28
User is offlineOffline
Had a couple of bad run-ins

Had a couple of bad run-ins with christians, but sorry if I ever sounded bitter Hugues, don't take it personally: I am certain you are a swell and lovable guy.

I am however of the opinion that your religion stinks, and I reserve for myself the right to be vocal about that. On the positive side, it is not just your religion that stinks, I could fill several pages with denominations that are, in my eyes equally silly and/or foul.


Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
Posts: 904
Joined: 2008-04-02
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Hy im a christian

Quote:

 

Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because
we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

 

 

Hy?

 

Hi, I'm an atheist and I'm not going to scream at you either (though I will however use proper punctuation in what I write - it's a matter of courtesy, you know).

 

I am delighted to see in your opening sentence an admission to the extent of the confusion you obviously suffer from (you "believe" in god but you "know" that I am going to your hell). Such an admission is the first step to fixing your problem, I wish you well in your endeavour. And of course it would be trite of me to point out that I am not obviously heading for your "hell", without naturally adding that it appears to be a concept based on childish fears and even more childish grammar - both things that I have long grown out of, as you can see.

 

Your accusation that I preach at you puzzles me. One thing about having the courage of one's convictions you will find is that the compunction to bellow them out dissipates remarkaby. Indeed such an approach to persuasion is best left to those who seemingly require the comfort of hearing themselves publicly orate on a subject to dispel those nagging doubts that they might, after all, be spouting rubbish. What they lack in logic they make up for in volume and repetition, you might say. There is such a difference between that and the honest communication of one's views without any agenda beyond establishing fact and truth - but then I know you have not been trained to make that distinction so I will desist from inviting you to realise that the same distinction, between preaching and communicating, is evident right here in this reply to you.

 

When you say that I think you are "wrong" to believe anything you want then I can only say that you are absolutely correct, at least if you are using the word "wrong" there to mean "incorrect". You are not however committing any moral trespass that I can see from your statement, but it would be churlish of me not to point out that such dedication to an irrational application of your intelligence has in the past tended to render other individuals like yourself more apt to commit just such atrocities against morality. Far better, I would suggest, is that you yourself develop a healthy aversion to blindly believing anything which defies logic. It will cause some initial discomfort as you utilise brain cells hitherto left flaccid from your religious adherence, but in the long run I think you will find - as with any form of exercise - the benefit will far exceed anything you think you are acquiring from your present attitude.

 

I heartily concur with your wish that we all behave more friendlily towards one another. What a novel idea, and what a pity that no religion has yet succeeded in engendering such behaviour, though all of which have an unfortunate record in promoting the opposite. As an atheist, reliant as I am on basing my moralism and behaviour on an informed analysis of - amongst other things - altruism, it is a philosophy that I long ago adopted too, albeit with the necessary exception reserved for those who presume to exercise unwarranted control on my body or mind.

 

So your plea that I should stop hating you is unnecessary. Such an emotion is not one you seem to warrant, at least not on the basis of what you reveal about yourself in your post. I will reserve of course the right to pity you, not in a superior and patronising manner, but in that of an empathetic person who is not blind to the plight you're in and the distance between where you are and your salvation from that plight. I reserve also (and most vociferously) the right to conclude that you are wrong (again, not in a moralistically judgmental way but in matters of fact).

 

Your final point, that you and others (I assume fellow christians?) did nothing to me, is not actually correct either. Individuals who are included in your "we" attempted to damage me at a vulnerable age. They attempted to stifle my intellect. They attempted to control my life in a manner so invidious that it bordered on abuse, and since then they have at regular intervals interjected themselves in a most unwelcome manner into my life, and never in a helpful way.

 

But I also owe you and the rest of you christians a form of debt. By having such silly beliefs as you hold, by persistently substituting assertion for deduction and so imperfectly attempting to hide the fact, by demonstrating in such an obvious manner the human inclination to find support in numbers but not in the application of intelligence, by all this and similar you helped this person - though still a child - to make thorough and accurate observations regarding human behaviour in its more ugly manifestation which have stood him well over the years.

 

I wish you every success in navigating the next logical step in your own personal development, though I understand completely that you have been trained to take its opposite. Good luck anyhow.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy


Psychosavant
Psychosavant's picture
Posts: 77
Joined: 2009-02-04
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: hughes.read@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:51 PM
Subject: [Hate Mail] why?

Read sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because
we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

 

  1. Supression of stem cell research
  2. Utilization of enough money, resources, and man hours in the world which, had it been spent on something productive, would have given human kind benefits it otherwise doesn't have.
  3. Indoctrinating the common minds of antiscientific principals.
  4. Implementation of the explicit representation of a non christianity based nation with christian based philosophies, such as the integration of "In God We Trust" on our currency and the words "under God" in our pledge of allegiance.
  5. Spreading of outright mistrust of the common atheist, despite any other qualities which they may or may not possess on an individual basis.
  6. Constant attempts to legally force ideas of Creationism beside factual scientific evidence and theory in our public schools.
  7. Making it impossible, in some states, for an atheist to hold office.
  8. Spreading lies and misinformation about the nature of atheists in general.
  9. Stealing money from the common wealth of the nation and assisting in the destabilization of our economy through misuse of that wealth by removing all possibility of taxable income in relation to the church.
  10. Protecting law breaking members of the religious community from justifiable enforcement of the law.

This is all just the tip of the iceberg.


Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
Posts: 89
Joined: 2009-02-15
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

 

 

This was probably written by a guy who has one of those "Christian fish eating a Darwin fish" emblems on the back of his car... I find it funny how the religious can wake us up at 8:00am by pounding on our door to try to preach thier beliefs, yet cry like babies when we insult thier views with... *gasp* Logic!!!

Free your mind.


SevenScarletSharks
SevenScarletSharks's picture
Posts: 6
Joined: 2009-08-01
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Hi, I'm a Christian. I'm not going to scream at you. All I'm saying is that just because
we believe in God and we know that you are going to hell doesn't mean you have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong. We have a right to believe whatever
we want, so can you please start making things more friendly (that
"Christmyass" thing last year made me cry). Just present your evidence and
stop hating us. We did absolutely nothing to you.

 

Hi, I'm an atheist. Muahahahaha. (Just kidding, I'm not so evil.)

First of all, being the Grammar-Nazi that I am, I took the liberty of correcting the various grammatical errors in your letter. It makes you look a notch more intelligent, not just a whiny teenage brat with a deflated (or is it over-inflated?) ego. 

Secondly, you don't know for certain that we are going to Hell. Hell is a dogmatic Christian concept and does not stand up to the tests of science, rational inquiry, and common sense. In fact, I can say with certainty that I'm not going to Hell, because Hell doesn't exist. The fact that you can't prove the existence of God, let alone Hell, is evidence enough that both of those concepts are false. 

You are right in one area, however: as an American citizen (I'm making the assumption here that you live in America) you are guaranteed the right to practice whatever religious beliefs you want under the First Amendment of the Constitution. However, that same amendment says that anyone can say anything that they want to. We have the right to "preach" to you (as you put it), but nobody ever said you have to listen. 

Atheists are not anti-theists, they are anti-theism. We don't hate you, but we do think that the dogma and "holy" book that you live by is full of more bullshit than a manure factory. 

The burden of proof is on the person making the "positive" claim that something does indeed exist. Present YOUR evidence, and if it's good enough, we'll examine it and maybe rethink our positions. In the meantime, I await your proof. 

Sincerely, 

SevenScarletSharks

SevenScarletSharks reserves the right to be better than you.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2390
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
seven scarletsharks

        Make a propper introduction of yourself we always welcome new members and you can start a new OP.  What city do you hale from for example?

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:I'll tell

JillSwift wrote:

I'll tell you what. You and yours stop passing laws to shove your version of morality down my throat, and I'll stop reminding you that your religion is a delusional pile of steaming poo. K? Is a deal?

Amen. And they can start paying taxes for all they are now exempt from now. Just like any other business.

 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
Posts: 361
Joined: 2008-01-26
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:



Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because
we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

 

Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

I don't hate you because you're christian, I hate you because of your improper grammar - it makes my head hurt.


kyitb
Posts: 5
Joined: 2009-08-02
User is offlineOffline
I will leave you alone when

I will leave you alone when you show some courage in your convictions and live like the amish


GypsyWytch
GypsyWytch's picture
Posts: 47
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: hughes.read@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 8:51 PM
Subject: [Hate Mail] why?

Read sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because
we believe in god and we know u are going to hell doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong we have a right to believe whatever
we want so can you just please start making things more friendly (that
christmyass thing last year made me cry) just present your evidence and
stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you

 

You're right.  You have the right to believe whatever nonsense you want.  And WE have the right to tell you that your beliefs are a load of bullshit.  It's called freedom of speech, asshole.  Deal with it.  And if our war on Christmas made you cry, how the FUCK do you think I felt when I was thrown out of my dance class for not being a Christian?

Liberate your mind. Fuck religion.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5100
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
This is rich

 

"Just because we believe in god and know you are going to hell doesn't mean you have to preach to us..."

Look, monkey brain. Just because we don't believe in hell and know you are going to be disappointed doesn't mean you can preach to us.

Oh, and every time you pull that business about hell out of your holster it signifies a threat, fuckwit.

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
hughes.read@gmail.com

Ahh, first impressions.

 

hughes.read@gmail.com wrote:

we know u are going to hell

You certainly do not!!!

 

hughes.read@gmail.com wrote:

just present your evidence and
stop hating us

I dont hate you, I dont hate any decent person.  I do however hate what your religion has done to the world and peoples minds, I do hate that your religion affects our governments, I do hate that your religion forces children to listen to terryfing stories and makes them believe they are true,  but i do not hate you as a person.   

 

hughes.read@gmail.com wrote:

we did absolutely nothing to you

Lets refer back.

hughes.read@gmail.com wrote:

we know u are going to hell

 

In your 1 sentence here asking athiests to be kind to you you also support the belief that eternal damnation as punishment for our skeptisism of your religion is both ethical and just, how ironic of you.     

 


hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
Posts: 219
Joined: 2008-04-02
User is offlineOffline
Grammar Poe? wrote: Hy im a

Grammar Poe? wrote:

 

Hy im a christian but im not going to scream at u all i saying just because we believe in god and we know u are going to hell

I don't think you know any such thing, however if the Muslims are correct, you'll be going to hell also, only your stay there will be longer.  Of course if there is a god, it could be any number of them, so at least as an atheist, I don't risk pissing off the real one by acknowledging others.

Quote:
doesnt mean u have to
preach to us and tell us we are wrong
Pot calling the kettle Blacky McBlackenstein...
Quote:
just present your evidence
You present your evidence.  My lack of beliefs carry no burden of proof.
Quote:
and stop hating us we did absolutely nothing to you
I don't know about you in particular, nor do I carry a lot of hate anyway, but theists in general do in fact do something to me.  Do your religious beliefs affect how you vote?  How you raise your kids?  How you take responsibility for your actions?  How you interact with people?  How much more important your opinions are than everyone else's?

If you can truly keep your religion out of my life, I think you'll be pleased with how little I care about it.

Your attempt to stop quote mining through the use of a run on sentence almost worked.

 

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:
we did absolutely nothing to you
No one does evil in their own eyes.


 

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
Posts: 268
Joined: 2009-10-13
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Why do

Brian37 wrote:

Why do Christians take it personally?

It's kind of sad, I think.

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.