Youtube blackout.

veganatheist-420
User is offlineOffline
Youtube blackout.

Ok. So I'm at school so I have no time to really explain the situation.

(It would be much better if someone with Youtube access could post one of the many good videos explaining it all)

But to put it simply, Youtube is at it again.

They have some sort of new rule in effect that automatically demotes any videos people may find offensive or profane to the back of the list.

This is blatantly wrong and the plan is that on December 19th, anyone who is against this will boycott Youtube.  And not only that, we encourage all who post videos on Youtube themselves to mark all videos as private on Friday as well.

No users, no videos, no viewers, no ad revenue.

For once we can show them that we can fight back when they piss us off.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
veganatheist-420 wrote:They

veganatheist-420 wrote:

They have some sort of new rule in effect that automatically demotes any videos people may find offensive or profane to the back of the list.

Are we talking about a system that lowers your ratings/when your video pops up when searched, or.... put you at the end of the upload list, to get your video onto youtube?

What Would Kharn Do?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that he is talking

I think that he is talking about the new ranking system that will push popular videos to the back of the system.  Basically, if a few people do not like what you have to say and they complain, then your videos will be "algorithmically demoted".  Here is the take on the matter from The Amazing Atheist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSX98xIp6SQ

Also, check out responses and related videos to see what other people have to say.

Past that, I had not heard of the boycott until this morning but I suspect that it will work best if people other than those facing demotion do it as well.  Otherwise, the corporate types will just dismiss the action as a bunch of crybabies.  So tommorow evening, I will take the videos of my band private for a day and a half.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Might I also suggest that,

Might I also suggest that, after the boycott, we start marking *all* videos as offensive? I mean, to indicate how ludicrous the whole concept is.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like that idea as well. 

I like that idea as well.  With one exception, being my videos.  So keep yer mitts off of a blues rock trio with a bald bass player. ;--)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
... so basically... all to

... so basically... all to GOOD videos get lined up, nice and neat, in the back of the list....

GREAT IDEA! I LOVE IT!... now i dont have to search the whole list ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
And you and your couple of

And you and your couple of buddies at school honestly think there's a hope in hell that you'll gain enough public awareness of this and support in less than one day that those at youtube will actually notice anything at all?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:And you and

thingy wrote:

And you and your couple of buddies at school honestly think there's a hope in hell that you'll gain enough public awareness of this and support in less than one day that those at youtube will actually notice anything at all?

Is the "no clean feed" thing not working out or something?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Is the "no

HisWillness wrote:
Is the "no clean feed" thing not working out or something?

Yes, yes that is exactly it.  I am doing nothing more than lashing out due to the failure of something else which I have shown my support for. {/sarcasm} Sticking out tongue

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/