Does atheism make sense?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Does atheism make sense?

If I say I don't believe in Leprachuans, we have an immediate understanding of what that means, i.e. that I don't believe in little green beings that place pots of gold at the end of every rainbow.

What you hear more often than not is a disbeliever who treats a disbelief in God, with God being conceived of as a simple concept like leprechauns, there by removing disbelief from any other implications like on a worldview, or philosophy, even though belief in God is never separated from the worldview, or perspective on life of the believer, for some reason atheist still feel that disbelief can be separated from a worldview, from a perspective on life.

If i were to tell a person who had no idea what the term Leprachaun means, he might ask me what is the meaning of "Leprachuans", i would tell him that they are little green men who place pots of gold at the end of every rainbow. And it's easy to see why a disbelief in Leprachuans doesn't have much of an implication on much else, like a worldview, my perspective on life. Because Leprechauns don't really have an emblematic quality.

The mistake by many atheist is to treat God as such as well, when God has a component that Leprachauns don't have, an emblematic conception of him, the representive of perspective on life, a worldview. That denial of God is in fact a statement affirming a particular view of life. A denial of a worldview is an affirmation of another one. A denial of a world with a transcendent purpose and meaning, is an affirmation of a worldview in which life has no transcendent purpose and meaning. 

Nearly all theistic conceptions of God no matter what the particular sect of theism are statements of a perspective on life. God is emblematic of these conceptions. 

For fundamentalist and others God is emblematic of the supposed inherent design and order of life. That if their belief is solely based on this, their God concept cannot be distinguished from what it's emblematic of (such as the silliness of separating symbols from what they are symbolic of). There statement on their perspective on life is that life has an inherent design and order, an atheist who denies this is affirming a perspective on life in which life has no inherent design and order. They are affirming certain parts of a worldview, by their disbelief in God.

For me, as a mainline Christian, my belief in God is solely based on a meaning and purpose to human existence, and that any future sense of disbelief would solely be based on a denial of this meaning and purpose. A belief in what this meaning and purpose is, and a belief in God don't equal two, God is only that symbol that embodies that meaning. And a denial of God is an affirmation of an alternative worldview. In fact the reason why I am not an atheist, a muslim, or a hindu, or a pagan, is that I don't believe in their worldview, I don't believe in what their Gods are emblematic of. 

While atheism is not a complete worldview, it is an affirmation of a partial one, because a denial of God who is emblematic of a perspective on life, is affirmation of an alternative perspective on it.

A belief or disbelief in God is not the same as disbelief in toothy fairies, who are simply little flying hot chicks in bikinis, nothing more nothing less, a belief in God is composed of emblematic conceptions, symbolic of a perspective on life. All theistic beliefs no matter of what stripe can be broken down as such.

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:theidiot

JillSwift wrote:

theidiot wrote:
Well, Jill it doesn't interest me to respond to people who ignore the bulk of my post, and the requests I had for them, so when you figure out something more substantive to say than a sentence and half, and can provide something a bit more thought out, you let me know. 

Other than that, godspeed.

Similarly, it doesn't interest me to move on to a second argument when the first is still unfinished. Sorry you don't appreciate a terse argument, but rambling on isn't my thing.

Here Jill, we'll make it easier for you. My belief in god is not like a belief in the tooth fairy, because a tooth fairy possess qualities outside of what it gives, outside of the hopes of a quarter under ones pillow, such as she has wings--a quality that the belief that source of comfort, the quarter under ones pillow, is not dependent on. 

My belief in God is not comparable to a belief in the tooth fairy, the belief can be made comparable to a person who believes that quarter will be under her pillow if she places her lost tooth their, even if it was her own father who brought it. Or can be comparable even to secular liberal believes that I find more fanciful than mine, such as the goodness of humanity, or the redeeming power of rationalism. 

A belief that a way can be made of not way, is drawing a contrast between despair and hope. for lives that bleed despair, void of hope in ones community, ones friends', neighbors (even if they are all very loving), technology, education, government, sciences, as was void of the poor blacks in the civil rights movement, the only hope that remains is unconstrained by these things, a way perceivable in no way. 

Such a belief has more in common with a child who believes that if she places her lost tooth under her bed, she'd be comforted by quarter in the morning, even if it were her own father who did so. Such a belief has more in common with some atheists belief of rationalism ridding the world of human cruelty the power of rationalism making men more moral, than it does with a belief in a tooth fairy.

For me it's rather simple, I believe all that I do good in life is not in vain, that loving humanity is not a wasted effort, that there is always hope, even in misery. Even if science doesn't lead us to conceive of such hope, even the cleansing power of liberalism doesn't do it for us, even the nature of man doesn't give us hope, that hope is still present. God can only symbolize whatever makes such hope possible. 

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:For me it's

theidiot wrote:
For me it's rather simple, I believe all that I do good in life is not in vain, that loving humanity is not a wasted effort, that there is always hope, even in misery. Even if science doesn't lead us to conceive of such hope, even the cleansing power of liberalism doesn't do it for us, even the nature of man doesn't give us hope, that hope is still present. God can only symbolize whatever makes such hope possible.

And yet I can experience all this hope and love without the aid of anything invisible. Isn't that strange? That I can have hope, even in misery? Because you make it seem as though I shouldn't be able to in the absence of gods.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Here Jill,

theidiot wrote:
Here Jill, we'll make it easier for you. My belief in god is not like a belief in the tooth fairy, because a tooth fairy possess qualities outside of what it gives, outside of the hopes of a quarter under ones pillow, such as she has wings--a quality that the belief that source of comfort, the quarter under ones pillow, is not dependent on. 

My belief in God is not comparable to a belief in the tooth fairy, the belief can be made comparable to a person who believes that quarter will be under her pillow if she places her lost tooth their, even if it was her own father who brought it. Or can be comparable even to secular liberal believes that I find more fanciful than mine, such as the goodness of humanity, or the redeeming power of rationalism. 

A belief that a way can be made of not way, is drawing a contrast between despair and hope. for lives that bleed despair, void of hope in ones community, ones friends', neighbors (even if they are all very loving), technology, education, government, sciences, as was void of the poor blacks in the civil rights movement, the only hope that remains is unconstrained by these things, a way perceivable in no way. 

Such a belief has more in common with a child who believes that if she places her lost tooth under her bed, she'd be comforted by quarter in the morning, even if it were her own father who did so. Such a belief has more in common with some atheists belief of rationalism ridding the world of human cruelty the power of rationalism making men more moral, than it does with a belief in a tooth fairy.

Tooth fairy: Brings comfort. God: Brings comfort.

Tooth Fairy: Parents perpetuate idea by making the tooth/reward exchange. God: Parents perpetuate the idea by demonstrations of belief.

Tooth fairy: No evidence for it, probably doesn't exist. God: No evidence for it, probably doesn't exist.

They compare exactly.

As for the rest of your post: It sure sounds like you just said that liberal/rationalist belief is more like tooth fairy belief because both bring tangible results, as opposed to god belief which brings only spiritual results.

I'm OK with that.

theidiot wrote:
I maintain hope, even when "liberalism" fails, because I understand the mechanism of the failure. I don't need a sky-fairy to maintain that hope - symbolic or not.

"Liberalism" as a fanciful belief? How cynical do you have to be to think mankind can't improve itself?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:And yet I

HisWillness wrote:

And yet I can experience all this hope and love without the aid of anything invisible. Isn't that strange?

I've been looking for a work of an unbeliever on suffering, particularly one who has lived through his share of it, and hope, that doesn't attempt to peddle dewy eyed superstitions of infinite human progress, or hopes hinged on science, or the delusion of the goodness of humanity, or whatever else have you. 

Is there an atheist thinker equivalent to a Dostoevsky who can reflect on suffering and hope, with a profound sense of reflection. If you can direct me to any such works, perhaps even tell me a little about them, I'd greatly appreciate it, and would be eager to acquire them, but I have yet to find even one. 

But let's paint the dilemma, an unbeliever who believes in hope such as the one i described, is as oxymoronic as an unbeliever who believes there is an inherent sense of intelligent design to the universe, an unbelieving ID proponent.

Saying there is hope that is not dominated by what's in our present reality, that there is hope even when an analysis of the conditions, present despair and not hopefulness, ask the question what is the source of such hope. What can make such hope possible? 

Such hope creates for itself a narrative view of human existence, that begs it's author. 

Quote:
That I can have hope, even in misery? Because you make it seem as though I shouldn't be able to in the absence of gods.

Someone who does, is not much of an atheist, or hasn't thought too much of his disbelief. 

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks Jill, for this time

Thanks Jill, for this time giving me more than a sentence. 

JillSwift wrote:

Tooth fairy: Brings comfort. God: Brings comfort.

The distinction here is that God doesn't bring comfort in and of himself. Think of theist family saying grace before dinner, thankful to God for the food that's in front of them, it doesn't matter that God didn't rain down that food from heaven, or that the mother made and brought the food to the table, the family is grateful and comforted that they have food to eat. 

Let's think of the quarter under the pillow again, this time replacing the tooth fairy with God, the difference between the two is that the belief is not dependent on God himself putting the quarter under the pillow, in fact the father can put a quarter under the pillow. The comfort in God would be a belief that there will be a quarter under the pillow, but how it gets there is irrelevant to that belief. While in the case of a belief in the tooth fairy, it is relevant how the quarter got there. 

Quote:
Tooth Fairy: Parents perpetuate idea by making the tooth/reward exchange. God: Parents perpetuate the idea by demonstrations of belief.

My parents could have been completely absent from the equation, and I would still have a developed a god belief, solely on the reflection of suffering, hope and meaning. Nearly all, if not all civilizations have developed God beliefs by the same reflection. 

Quote:
Tooth fairy: No evidence for it, probably doesn't exist. God: No evidence for it, probably doesn't exist.

Unbelievers have this weird notion, that theist  present God's existence as some sort of scientific hypothesis, like a claim that God exists under this rock, and if we lift up that rock we can verify his existence. But I'd wager you a $100 to the charity of your choice that you'd be hard pressed to find theist whether fundamentalist or not who make such claims. God has an inferred existence, like we would infer from a painting that someone painted it, and the only evidence for that persons "existence" is the painting.

I had unbeliever tell me sometime ago, when asked what it would take for him to believe in God, and he said if he prayed and saw Lamborghini fall from the sky with his name on it. Verifying if God has two arms or not is irrelevant, questions of his composition are irrelevant, a scientific verification of how this God exists is irrelevant, but his existence would be inferred from the Lamborghini that fell from the sky. 

If you read my above post to Hiswillness you can see what I infer god's existence from, from a life that has a narrative form, for it. 

Quote:
As for the rest of your post: It sure sounds like you just said that liberal/rationalist belief is more like tooth fairy belief because both bring tangible results, as opposed to god belief which brings only spiritual results.

I have no idea what you mean by spiritual results, since all the results for me have all been tangible, my hope is evident to me, manifested in the power of forgiveness, of love, servitude to others, humility, reconciliation,  etc.. all of which continually affirm my faith. A triumph over whatever sense of misery and despair that was once there is a tangible result, and in my view a spiritual one as well. 

Quote:
"Liberalism" as a fanciful belief? How cynical do you have to be to think mankind can't improve itself?

Who said mankind can't improve itself? The question should be will it? And the question more important would be if so, by what means and what do you mean by improvement? Secular liberals of the civil rights era believed that racism and prejudice would succumb to education and the american creed, that was a fanciful belief. 

To me improvement of humanity, is moral progression, which I believe is possible, just not by any secular liberal ideas, or secular humanist ramblings. 

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:The

theidiot wrote:
The distinction here is that God doesn't bring comfort in and of himself. Think of theist family saying grace before dinner, thankful to God for the food that's in front of them, it doesn't matter that God didn't rain down that food from heaven, or that the mother made and brought the food to the table, the family is grateful and comforted that they have food to eat. 

Let's think of the quarter under the pillow again, this time replacing the tooth fairy with God, the difference between the two is that the belief is not dependent on God himself putting the quarter under the pillow, in fact the father can put a quarter under the pillow. The comfort in God would be a belief that there will be a quarter under the pillow, but how it gets there is irrelevant to that belief. While in the case of a belief in the tooth fairy, it is relevant how the quarter got there.

Splitting fine hairs there. Either way, the belief is in the nonexistent thing.

theidiot wrote:
My parents could have been completely absent from the equation, and I would still have a developed a god belief, solely on the reflection of suffering, hope and meaning. Nearly all, if not all civilizations have developed God beliefs by the same reflection.
Makes little difference - parents, community, some book... the belief is perpetuated externally.

theidiot wrote:
Unbelievers have this weird notion, that theist  present God's existence as some sort of scientific hypothesis, like a claim that God exists under this rock, and if we lift up that rock we can verify his existence. But I'd wager you a $100 to the charity of your choice that you'd be hard pressed to find theist whether fundamentalist or not who make such claims. God has an inferred existence, like we would infer from a painting that someone painted it, and the only evidence for that persons "existence" is the painting.
You mean if you ignore paradolia? Finding design or pattern in the cosmos only infers that our minds find patterns.

Anyone who makes a claim that something exists needs to have some shred of evidence that that thing does exist. Otherwise any rational person will reject the claim. I really don't understand why that is a problem.

theidiot wrote:
I had unbeliever tell me sometime ago, when asked what it would take for him to believe in God, and he said if he prayed and saw Lamborghini fall from the sky with his name on it. Verifying if God has two arms or not is irrelevant, questions of his composition are irrelevant, a scientific verification of how this God exists is irrelevant, but his existence would be inferred from the Lamborghini that fell from the sky. 

If you read my above post to Hiswillness you can see what I infer god's existence from, from a life that has a narrative form, for it.

The first step is always to make sure there's a phenomenon to explore. Having something come into existence in such a way would rather strongly suggest that god does exist, for most definitions of "god". Personally, I'd be fine with intangible but real evidence that would bring me to a similar conclusion. Once the phenomenon is established, then it's worthwhile to start establishing what the phenomenon is, exactly - i.e. asking if god has arms.

I have enough of a solid understanding of how the mind works to know there are better explanations for the narrative you detect than "god", though.

On that note:

theidiot wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by spiritual results, since all the results for me have all been tangible, my hope is evident to me, manifested in the power of forgiveness, of love, servitude to others, humility, reconciliation,  etc.. all of which continually affirm my faith. A triumph over whatever sense of misery and despair that was once there is a tangible result, and in my view a spiritual one as well.
It really sounds to me like you chose a faith in god to act as a catalyst for a change in yourself. You had a miserable time, or felt beset on all sides by misery, or both, and with this religious or spiritual catalyst you made the changes you needed to improve things.

I've seen quite a number of folks do that.

I have also seen quite a number of people make those sorts of changes without the need of the imaginary.

theidiot wrote:
Who said mankind can't improve itself? The question should be will it? And the question more important would be if so, by what means and what do you mean by improvement? Secular liberals of the civil rights era believed that racism and prejudice would succumb to education and the american creed, that was a fanciful belief. 

To me improvement of humanity, is moral progression, which I believe is possible, just not by any secular liberal ideas, or secular humanist ramblings.

Why are you beating on this point? It's pure assertion on the one hand, and seemingly irrelevant on the other. But, to generalize to get this off the table: People be live things. Sometimes they are wrong. So?

And if you wish to make it like belief in the tooth fairy, then fine. Like belief in the tooth fairy, it goes away once it's understood to be a delusion.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift

JillSwift wrote:

Personally, I'd be fine with intangible but real evidence that would bring me to a similar conclusion. 

Can you fix this sentence. 

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:JillSwift

theidiot wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Personally, I'd be fine with intangible but real evidence that would bring me to a similar conclusion. 

Can you fix this sentence. 

Only if you tell me what you don't understand about it.

edit                               

I'm using "intangible" as in "can not be touched".

"Real" as in verifyable.

and the "similar conclusion" is "yep, this 'god' thing looks to be a real phenomenon".

HTH

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Either way,

JillSwift wrote:

Either way, the belief is in the nonexistent thing.

Please, tell me how, "having hope in despair", to believe no matter how hard our struggles are, if we strive on in hope, it will work out, is a belief in a nonexistent thing? Anymore so that beauty is a nonexistent thing? 

Quote:
Makes little difference - parents, community, some book... the belief is perpetuated externally.

It seems you've been ingrained too much by pseudoscience, giving too much credence to memetics, which completely ignores the role of self-awareness and ones own subjective experience of the world. Religion, is a particular worldview, that is continually shaped and brought into question by ones own experience of it, a child is never 100% transplant of his parents religious views, as his ideas are continually shaped by his own self-reflection, and experience that differ from theirs. 

When I was a child it was easy to find myself at unease with the church, as my own experiences in life differed radically from those of our typical parishioner. As my own questions in life, brought on by internal self-reflection, left the religion as told to me in my youth, wanting, and easily dismissible. And it was those questions in my internal environment that very late in life brought me back to belief. 

theidiot wrote:
You mean if you ignore paradolia? Finding design or pattern in the cosmos only infers that our minds find patterns.

Uhm....ok.....

Even when we make claims based on data, on evidence, our interpretation of the evidence, is a claim that the evidence reveals a pattern that validates it. Since evidence doesn't speak for itself, we have to recognize a pattern with it, to validate our truth claims. Yes finding a design pattern in the cosmos reveals that we infer patterns, but any claim we make based on data do. Such a claim can be, that the data reveals a pattern that infers an intelligence behind it. Like if we looked at two rooms that were changed since last night, there would be a distinction in the patterns of being changed by an earthquake that hit last night, and one in which everything was intelligently moved to different walls. We can make logical arguments in opposition to such inferences from these patterns, i.e. "no, the patterns created by the data don't reveal an intelligence behind it."

Someone replied here, that I tend to repeat my points several times, more than he sees as necessary, but when posters on here respond with barely thought out claims, you kind of have too. 

Quote:
Anyone who makes a claim that something exists needs to have some shred of evidence that that thing does exist. Otherwise any rational person will reject the claim. I really don't understand why that is a problem.

Uhm only if such a claim implies we can validate it as such. I can make a claim such as beauty exists, hope exists, but what sort scientific  evidence would I have to validate beauty existing? And even though beauty exists, can't a rational person still reject what i find to be beautiful? As I said before, I believe life has a poetic quality to it, a narrative, it would be silly for me to believe this without a belief in God, because God symbolizes that which can give life such a quality. I can coherently explain why I see life as such, and yet you wouldn't have to find it poetic or beautiful yourself. 

A sort of delusion among these parts, assumes that when someone makes a rational claim, that he is also making a scientific hypothesis, that a rational claim is one in which i compel you to believe in as well. Only positivists think that "rational" means scientific. As Terry Eagleton explains it: "For my claim to love you to be coherent, I must be able to explain what it is about you that justifies it; but my bank manager might agree with my dewy-eyed description of you without being in love with you himself."

Quote:
I have enough of a solid understanding of how the mind works to know there are better explanations for the narrative you detect than "god", though.

Uhm, I doubt you do, since you seem to expound a Richard Dawkins school of thought, rather than a thought that is any sense informed by "how the mind works" learning of the composition of beliefs. If you had you'd probably sound a little more like humanist psychoanalyst Erich Fromm, than parroting the dopiness of the Sam Harris like. 

So please, don't BS me with your claim of understanding how the mind works, because nothing you've presented so far displays that. Someone who claims that a belief in God is similar to belief in a toothy fairy, know as much about the mind, as someone who claims dinosaurs walked the earth 6,000 years ago knows about science.

To summarize an actual understanding of how the mind works (Erich Fromm): Self-awareness creates a dichotomy in human beings, and lacking the ability to act on instinct alone, "we require a frame of orientation, a worldview, an object of deviation." 

God serves as the object of deviation, a way or orienting our instinctual desires that we oppose, to how we perceive we should be. God serves as an axle of the worldview, emblematic of what the worldview represents. 

Sort of like in the writings of Paul, as he describes an instinctual will, in opposition to a will of how he should be, longing for what he knows is bad, as an early reflection of the internal dichotomy of human nature: "I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want (Rom 7)." Elevating Christ to the status of God, creates Christ as the object of deviation, as symbol for how we should be, and a pivot to turn from a believers perception of wrong ways to right ones. 

Quote:
On that note:

I've seen quite a number of folks do that.

I have also seen quite a number of people make those sorts of changes without the need of the imaginary.

Well, at this point I get to be more specific, since I'm a Christian, and God is not some sort of black hole, but revealed in Jesus Christ. 

Those persons you speak of may have made those sort of changes, but what was the object that led them to deviate from their previous ways of life? My fulfilling sense of life, reflection on misery, and it's new found hope, is a narrative, the gospel narrative of suffering and hope. In seeing the person of Christ, I'm confronted with it means to truly live, in a person who did know how to truly live, in a beautiful, remarkable, and powerful sense of life. While unbelievers can admire Jesus, only a believer can be empowered by him, as our King, our idol, our image bearer, our God in all that he can ever mean for us.

I claim Christ as the truth, the way, and the life, how can you argue with me that this is false under your previous premises? I can coherently explain why I perceive Jesus as such, even though I may not get you to agree with me. To afford such a claim on Christ, is to claim Christ is God to me. 

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline

duplicate post

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Please, tell

theidiot wrote:
Please, tell me how, "having hope in despair", to believe no matter how hard our struggles are, if we strive on in hope, it will work out, is a belief in a nonexistent thing? Anymore so that beauty is a nonexistent thing?
Not what I meant. God and the tooth fairy are the nonexistent things.

theidiot wrote:
It seems you've been ingrained too much by pseudoscience, giving too much credence to memetics, which completely ignores the role of self-awareness and ones own subjective experience of the world. Religion, is a particular worldview, that is continually shaped and brought into question by ones own experience of it, a child is never 100% transplant of his parents religious views, as his ideas are continually shaped by his own self-reflection, and experience that differ from theirs. 

When I was a child it was easy to find myself at unease with the church, as my own experiences in life differed radically from those of our typical parishioner. As my own questions in life, brought on by internal self-reflection, left the religion as told to me in my youth, wanting, and easily dismissible. And it was those questions in my internal environment that very late in life brought me back to belief.

Straw-man. I don't subscribe to memetics. Were you to be the one and only person to have come to the conclusion that there is a god - making the belief purely from internal sources - then you'd not be a religious man, but delusional. But your beliefs are the result of both internal and external events. The specific belief system is external, however, coming from a book and a society's general belief in that book.

theidiot wrote:
Uhm....ok.....

Even when we make claims based on data, on evidence, our interpretation of the evidence, is a claim that the evidence reveals a pattern that validates it. Since evidence doesn't speak for itself, we have to recognize a pattern with it, to validate our truth claims. Yes finding a design pattern in the cosmos reveals that we infer patterns, but any claim we make based on data do. Such a claim can be, that the data reveals a pattern that infers an intelligence behind it. Like if we looked at two rooms that were changed since last night, there would be a distinction in the patterns of being changed by an earthquake that hit last night, and one in which everything was intelligently moved to different walls. We can make logical arguments in opposition to such inferences from these patterns, i.e. "no, the patterns created by the data don't reveal an intelligence behind it."

Someone replied here, that I tend to repeat my points several times, more than he sees as necessary, but when posters on here respond with barely thought out claims, you kind of have too.

There is a significant difference between paradolia and a well tested theory. Surely you can see that the jump from "there are patterns everywhere" to "it must be designed" is fallacious?

theidiot wrote:
Uhm only if such a claim implies we can validate it as such. I can make a claim such as beauty exists, hope exists, but what sort scientific  evidence would I have to validate beauty existing? And even though beauty exists, can't a rational person still reject what i find to be beautiful? As I said before, I believe life has a poetic quality to it, a narrative, it would be silly for me to believe this without a belief in God, because God symbolizes that which can give life such a quality. I can coherently explain why I see life as such, and yet you wouldn't have to find it poetic or beautiful yourself. 

A sort of delusion among these parts, assumes that when someone makes a rational claim, that he is also making a scientific hypothesis, that a rational claim is one in which i compel you to believe in as well. Only positivists think that "rational" means scientific. As Terry Eagleton explains it: "For my claim to love you to be coherent, I must be able to explain what it is about you that justifies it; but my bank manager might agree with my dewy-eyed description of you without being in love with you himself."

It's silly to think that things like "beauty" can't be evidenced. And that quote doesn't seem to support your assertion that a rational claim need not be evidenced. In the quote, all that has to be established in one is in love. Why that would mean making others fall in love escapes me. There is a difference between the qualitative and the quantitative.

theidiot wrote:
Uhm, I doubt you do, since you seem to expound a Richard Dawkins school of thought, rather than a thought that is any sense informed by "how the mind works" learning of the composition of beliefs. If you had you'd probably sound a little more like humanist psychoanalyst Erich Fromm, than parroting the dopiness of the Sam Harris like.

So please, don't BS me with your claim of understanding how the mind works, because nothing you've presented so far displays that. Someone who claims that a belief in God is similar to belief in a toothy fairy, know as much about the mind, as someone who claims dinosaurs walked the earth 6,000 years ago knows about science.

Ad hom, eh? (To be clear, you've attacked me for parroting Dawkins and "BSing" rather than just disagreeing with my arguments.)

theidiot wrote:
To summarize an actual understanding of how the mind works (Erich Fromm): Self-awareness creates a dichotomy in human beings, and lacking the ability to act on instinct alone, "we require a frame of orientation, a worldview, an object of deviation." 

God serves as the object of deviation, a way or orienting our instinctual desires that we oppose, to how we perceive we should be. God serves as an axle of the worldview, emblematic of what the worldview represents. 

Sort of like in the writings of Paul, as he describes an instinctual will, in opposition to a will of how he should be, longing for what he knows is bad, as an early reflection of the internal dichotomy of human nature: "I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want (Rom 7)." Elevating Christ to the status of God, creates Christ as the object of deviation, as symbol for how we should be, and a pivot to turn from a believers perception of wrong ways to right ones. 

There are plenty of world-views one could use as the root of the conscious dynamic that don't involve imaginary beings.

theidiot wrote:
Well, at this point I get to be more specific, since I'm a Christian, and God is not some sort of black hole, but revealed in Jesus Christ. 

Those persons you speak of may have made those sort of changes, but what was the object that led them to deviate from their previous ways of life? My fulfilling sense of life, reflection on misery, and it's new found hope, is a narrative, the gospel narrative of suffering and hope. In seeing the person of Christ, I'm confronted with it means to truly live, in a person who did know how to truly live, in a beautiful, remarkable, and powerful sense of life. While unbelievers can admire Jesus, only a believer can be empowered by him, as our King, our idol, our image bearer, our God in all that he can ever mean for us.

I claim Christ as the truth, the way, and the life, how can you argue with me that this is false under your previous premises? I can coherently explain why I perceive Jesus as such, even though I may not get you to agree with me. To afford such a claim on Christ, is to claim Christ is God to me.

And for all that, the fact still remains that both god and the tooth fairy are products of the imagination. Abstract ideas that have some use to us, but do not necessarily represent the optimum method for dealing with life.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:There is a

JillSwift wrote:

There is a significant difference between paradolia and a well tested theory. Surely you can see that the jump from "there are patterns everywhere" to "it must be designed" is fallacious?

Can you elaborate on this for me. I don't get what paradolia has to do with anything that I've claimed. I'm not talking about Jesus on toast, or where this notion of patterns everywhere is coming from? What's your point, and what does it have with my use of patterns? We all might recognize the common picture of Jesus depicted on a tortilla, while some individuals would argue that the pattern is not random, while most (including myself) would argue that it was just a random formation, rather than a product of a creator who chose a tortilla as his canvas. 

But all that is needed to believe that someone was behind such a pattern, is perception of that pattern as non-random. If we were to see a painting of George Bush, we all would recognize the pattern of the paint and whatever else, as non-random, unlike we would with the depiction of Jesus on Tortilla. Being all that is needed to believe that a creator was behind it is a pattern that is non-random here. 

Quote:
Not what I meant. God and the tooth fairy are the nonexistent things.

And I am going to repeat what I said again:

Please, tell me how, "having hope in despair", to believe no matter how hard our struggles are, if we strive on in hope, it will work out, is a belief in a nonexistent thing?

This is all I believe, anything else I believe is only symbolic of these concepts. Now being that this is all i believe in, would you then say these beliefs are the same as a belief in the tooth fairy?

Now let's say some individual who knows nothing of evolution, or much about science in general, takes a brief look at human life, and infers the same as we would in seeing the painting of george bush, that life like the painting has a pattern that appears non-random, and created. This is all he believes, would you say this belief is no different than a belief in a tooth fairy?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Can you

theidiot wrote:
Can you elaborate on this for me. I don't get what paradolia has to do with anything that I've claimed. I'm not talking about Jesus on toast, or where this notion of patterns everywhere is coming from? What's your point, and what does it have with my use of patterns? We all might recognize the common picture of Jesus depicted on a tortilla, while some individuals would argue that the pattern is not random, while most (including myself) would argue that it was just a random formation, rather than a product of a creator who chose a tortilla as his canvas. 

But all that is needed to believe that someone was behind such a pattern, is perception of that pattern as non-random. If we were to see a painting of George Bush, we all would recognize the pattern of the paint and whatever else, as non-random, unlike we would with the depiction of Jesus on Tortilla. Being all that is needed to believe that a creator was behind it is a pattern that is non-random here.

You appeared to forward a claim that god is inferred from the apparent design of the cosmos. Paradolia is the false sense of pattern - in other words, seeing signs of a designer in the intricacy of DNA (for instance).

theidiot wrote:
And I am going to repeat what I said again:

Please, tell me how, "having hope in despair", to believe no matter how hard our struggles are, if we strive on in hope, it will work out, is a belief in a nonexistent thing?

This is all I believe, anything else I believe is only symbolic of these concepts. Now being that this is all i believe in, would you then say these beliefs are the same as a belief in the tooth fairy?

Now let's say some individual who knows nothing of evolution, or much about science in general, takes a brief look at human life, and infers the same as we would in seeing the painting of george bush, that life like the painting has a pattern that appears non-random, and created. This is all he believes, would you say this belief is no different than a belief in a tooth fairy?

It's confusing to me how you seem to say you belive in god as a being one post, and as a symbol the next.

The fellow assuming "a painting had a painter" in inferring design from the human form is having a moment of paradolia. It only becomes similar to the tooth fairy once he establishes a belief in the designer itself without evidence of the designer.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:The fellow

JillSwift wrote:

The fellow assuming "a painting had a painter" in inferring design from the human form is having a moment of paradolia. It only becomes similar to the tooth fairy once he establishes a belief in the designer itself without evidence of the designer.

I'm going to completely ignore here the problem of perception, only so it's less confusing for you.

The person assuming  "a painting had a painter" inferring from the pattern of an actual painting  is not having  a moment of paradolia. Agreed?

Paradolia is infering from a random pattern, not from a non-random pattern. 

Agreed?

If I assume from a non-random pattern, like a painting, that there was someone behind it, that's not similar to belief in the tooth fairy right?

I'll continue after you answer these questions. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But I'd wager you a

Quote:
But I'd wager you a $100 to the charity of your choice that you'd be hard pressed to find theist whether fundamentalist or not who make such claims.

Kent Hovind.

You may make the $100.00 donation to your most local children's hospital. Please post the charitable donation receipt in this thread for confirmation after you've made the contribution.

Thanks.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:I'm going to

theidiot wrote:
I'm going to completely ignore here the problem of perception, only so it's less confusing for you.

The person assuming  "a painting had a painter" inferring from the pattern of an actual painting  is not having  a moment of paradolia. Agreed?

Paradolia is infering from a random pattern, not from a non-random pattern. 

Agreed?

If I assume from a non-random pattern, like a painting, that there was someone behind it, that's not similar to belief in the tooth fairy right?

I'll continue after you answer these questions.

Both are agreed - but not really relevant to what I'm saying. Let me try again and make this simpler for you:

When one sees a painting, it is safe to infer a painter not because the painting has a pattern, but because of the pattern of having seen other paintings and their painters.

Because we don't have a pattern of universes and their creators, we can not safely infer a creator from the patterns we see in the cosmos. So, the claim that there is a creator requires more direct evidence to be rationally acceptable.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
But I'd wager you a $100 to the charity of your choice that you'd be hard pressed to find theist whether fundamentalist or not who make such claims.

Kent Hovind.

You may make the $100.00 donation to your most local children's hospital. Please post the charitable donation receipt in this thread for confirmation after you've made the contribution.

Thanks.

And what is his actual claim, that falls under the criteria that I asked for?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Both are

JillSwift wrote:

Both are agreed - but not really relevant to what I'm saying. Let me try again and make this simpler for you:

But that is exactly what I've been saying, and is a relevant point for my argument. I appreciate the response, and agreement.  

Quote:
When one sees a painting, it is safe to infer a painter not because the painting has a pattern, but because of the pattern of having seen other paintings and their painters.

Not completely true, we infer the painter not because the painting has a pattern, but because of the pattern we see in other intelligently created things. I.E I may have seen other paintings and patterns, than I come across a sculpture of a woman, and without ever seeing another sculpture, but with a conception of what created patterns might look like, infer that sculpture has a sculptor (an intelligent creator). 

Quote:
Because we don't have a pattern of universes and their creators, we can not safely infer a creator from the patterns we see in the cosmos. So, the claim that there is a creator requires more direct evidence to be rationally acceptable.

See I personally don't believe that our cosmos have a pattern the infers a creator, or infers an intelligence behind it, but can the cosmos have a pattern that does infer an intelligence behind it? In fact organizations like the Discovery Institute, arguments such as the fine tuning arguments argue just that, notice that none of the refutations of these claims, claims that we cannot possibly know what an intelligent designed cosmos would look like, but that the cosmos don't have such a pattern.

If it where true that we couldn't possibly tell what an intelligently designed cosmos would look like, than it would be two edged sword, that you couldn't tell what an unintelligibly/randomly designed cosmos would look like either. 

Now, here's my other question. Is inferring from a narrative, an author paradolia? Similar to belief in a tooth fairy?

And if I infer from seeing a painting that there is a painter, it just follows that I believe a painter exists right, just based off of the pattern of that painting, and that their is nothing irrational about this right?

And the last question: "having hope in despair", to believe no matter how hard our struggles are, if we strive on in hope, it will work out", that goodness and love will prevail in the end,  the same as believing in a tooth fairy?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Convicted fraudster Kent

Convicted fraudster Kent hovind believes (and promotes the belief of, through a lecture series he used to sell) that the Bible represents a scientifically accurate portrayal of the creation of the universe, Earth, life on Earth, etc. He even established a theme park (Dinosaur Adventure land - see www.dinosauradventureland.com) portraying humans and dinosaurs co-existing with each other, strictly based on 'evidence' from the Bible.

The list of people who actually believe that creation is a scientifically viable answer to the formation of the Earth is, frankly, huge. Hovind is merely the most notorious example.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Convicted fraudster Kent hovind believes (and promotes the belief of, through a lecture series he used to sell) that the Bible represents a scientifically accurate portrayal of the creation of the universe, Earth, life on Earth, etc. He even established a theme park (Dinosaur Adventure land - see www.dinosauradventureland.com) portraying humans and dinosaurs co-existing with each other, strictly based on 'evidence' from the Bible.

The list of people who actually believe that creation is a scientifically viable answer to the formation of the Earth is, frankly, huge. Hovind is merely the most notorious example.

Thank you, now let's say Hovind's arguement are shown to be true, that in fact the bible does represents a scientifically accurate portrayal of the creation of the universe, Earth, life on Earth, etc. would you then believe in God? 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, chief? I fixed your

Hey, chief?

I fixed your post.

EDIT: I erased the changes to your post. Apologies for that particular emotional reaction.

My opinion of you remains unchanged.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Hey,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Hey, chief?

I fixed your post.

Actually you didn't, in fact you proved my point. And I'm trying to show you how you didn't, so all you have to do is just answer my question:

Let's say Hovind's arguement are shown to be true, that in fact the bible does represents a scientifically accurate portrayal of the creation of the universe, Earth, life on Earth, etc. would you then believe in God? 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're attempting to dance

You're attempting to dance around the issue. I didn't come here to argue against a retard's notion of how things came to be.

You posted a pledge to donate $100.00 to a charity of my choosing if I could produce the name of one Christian (fundamentalist or otherwise) who believes that there is testable empirical data supporting God's existence. I produced said name. Now it just turns-out you were usin that as an empty to ploy to play a semantics game you feel is clever.

You never actually intended to donate $100.00 to anybody.

That makes you an asshole fraudster who can't put their money where their mouth is.

That more or less concludes my interaction here.

EDIT: For the sake of completion - I used to go out an canvass for donations. It was actually great work, but the downside was running into assholes like theidiot here every 5th or so house; guys/girls who never had any intention of donating anything, but would lie and say they'd make a contribution if you could answer 'X' question (posed rhetorically). Stupidly thinking that human beings were pretty decent, I'd often actually attempt to answer said question only to then have them spring some argument they thought was particularly clever from the obvious answer to the rhetorical question, which they posed just to feel good about themselves.

It's fucking ignorant scumbags like theidiot who essentially lay the groundwork for failure in developing countries for the sake of their smug grins.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
So you went ahead and

Quote:
It's fucking ignorant scumbags like theidiot who essentially lay the groundwork for failure in developing countries for the sake of their smug grins.

So you went ahead and decided to cross out what I wrote, and the write in my post, and defame me in the process? how fucking crude. Now, I'm asking you to go back and remove the strike out, and what you wrote in my post, or you just go to show what kind of joke this forum is. 

I have no qualms in keeping my word, especially in doing something noble like giving a $100 to the local children's hospital,  but you went ahead and behaved like a child, who couldn't even take two seconds to understand why in fact you were wrong. You owe me an apology, at least if you're an adult enough to give it.  

Here, since you where to childish to allow me to show you how you were wrong, by me asking you a simple question, before you went on your rampage, , I'm going to explain it to you anyway.

This is what I said:

Quote:
Unbelievers have this weird notion, that theist  present God's existence as some sort of scientific hypothesis, like a claim that God exists under this rock, and if we lift up that rock we can verify his existence. But I'd wager you a $100 to the charity of your choice that you'd be hard pressed to find theist whether fundamentalist or not who make such claims. God has an inferred existence, like we would infer from a painting that someone painted it, and the only evidence for that persons "existence" is the painting.

Here's what you said: 

Quote:
 Kent hovind believes (and promotes the belief of, through a lecture series he used to sell) that the Bible represents a scientifically accurate portrayal of the creation of the universe, Earth, life on Earth, etc.

Now think for a fucking second, if we were to convert what Hovind is claiming here (in what you presented) as a scientific hypothesis what would it be? 

It would be something like this: the world is 6000 years old, and there was a water canopy, a global flood, dinosaurs roamed the earth with humans 6000 years ago as well. 

No where in here is "God's existence" made into a scientific hypothesis.

The only thing Hovind attempts to prove, is that the creation claims of the bible are scientifically accurate. 

Notice what I said in my original post, that you crossed out: "God has an inferred existence"

Your use of Hovind demonstrates my argument, that Hovind is not arguing a scientific verification for god's existence, but that god's existence is to be inferred by individuals from Hovind demonstrating the scientific validity of a 6000 year old earth, etc....

Any reasonable individual reading this post, can understand your mistake, and I'm hoping you see it too, and that you are adult enough to apologize for your behavior, and return my post to it's original state. Can you do that? 

Quote:
You posted a pledge to donate $100.00 to a charity of my choosing if I could produce the name of one Christian (fundamentalist or otherwise) who believes that there is testable empirical data supporting God's existence. 

And here's your fucking problem, read what the fuck I wrote again, several times if u need to.

I never asked for theist who believe there is testable empirical data in support of God's existence, but testable empirical data of God's existence. I didn't ask for theist claimed scientific hypothesis in support of God's existence, but a theist made scientific hypothesis of God's existence. 

If you had even slightly better reading comprehension skills you would have understood this. Now, are you going to be a man, and own up to your mistake? Or are you just going to show everybody, who the real scumbag is. 

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Not

theidiot wrote:
Not completely true, we infer the painter not because the painting has a pattern, but because of the pattern we see in other intelligently created things. I.E I may have seen other paintings and patterns, than I come across a sculpture of a woman, and without ever seeing another sculpture, but with a conception of what created patterns might look like, infer that sculpture has a sculptor (an intelligent creator).
I have to disagree that it is safe to infer anything that way. Once might postulate that, because something appears designed that it may have a designer, but in oder to take the step to the inference you need more evidence. To take that last step without evidence is to risk having been tricked by your own natural aptitude for pattern-matching (paradolia).

theidiot wrote:
See I personally don't believe that our cosmos have a pattern the infers a creator, or infers an intelligence behind it, but can the cosmos have a pattern that does infer an intelligence behind it? In fact organizations like the Discovery Institute, arguments such as the fine tuning arguments argue just that, notice that none of the refutations of these claims, claims that we cannot possibly know what an intelligent designed cosmos would look like, but that the cosmos don't have such a pattern.

If it where true that we couldn't possibly tell what an intelligently designed cosmos would look like, than it would be two edged sword, that you couldn't tell what an unintelligibly/randomly designed cosmos would look like either.

Since we don't need a designer to explain all these patterns, we can omit the hypotheses safely until (and if) we find some evidence of that designer. Parsimony.

theidiot wrote:
Now, here's my other question. Is inferring from a narrative, an author paradolia? Similar to belief in a tooth fairy?
Yes - they both make the assumption of an agent behind the scenes without evidence for that agent.

theidiot wrote:
And if I infer from seeing a painting that there is a painter, it just follows that I believe a painter exists right, just based off of the pattern of that painting, and that their is nothing irrational about this right?
If you infer a painter from the pattern that is the painting, then yes, that is irrational. If you infer a painter because you see the pattern that paintings have painters, then you're being rational (though using something of a shortcut because we can't confirm every little thing.)

theidiot wrote:
And the last question: "having hope in despair", to believe no matter how hard our struggles are, if we strive on in hope, it will work out", that goodness and love will prevail in the end,  the same as believing in a tooth fairy?
I'm weary of answering this one because I smell an emotional charge about it. Please pardon this cautious answer:

"Hope in despair" is not like beliving in the tooth fairy in that it does not posit an agent. However, such hope may not be reflected in reality - that is, what you dispair will not change and there is no "real" hope.

On the other hand, because we really can not know a situation so completely that we can with any certainty make such a declaration of hopelessness, the most rational choice is to maintain hope so that we can maintain our wits and faculties, lest by our own inaction we permit any "real" hope to pass.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:EDIT: I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

EDIT: I erased the changes to your post. Apologies for that particular emotional reaction.

Well, I appreciate the fact that you erased those changes you made to my post.

Quote:
My opinion of you remains unchanged.

So you still believe that you provided me what I asked for? That I reneged on my offer?

I already explained how you didn't, and if you object to that, than you're more than welcome to make the case. 

If you're going to try and defame me, by claiming that I'm not a man of my word, and that I'm scumbag for reneging on my offer, you should be backing it up, and not just do a drive by defaming of my character, lacking any support for your accusations. 

Either you can perceive why you didn't give me what I asked for or you can't? SO what is it? If you can't, I'm more than willing to elaborate further without resorting to using profanity, or being demeaning, with whatever objections you have to my previous explanation. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Is there an

theidiot wrote:
Is there an atheist thinker equivalent to a Dostoevsky who can reflect on suffering and hope, with a profound sense of reflection.

Have you read Truman Capote? Salman Rushdie? If you're really stuck, you can check out Wikipedia's list of atheist authors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists_(authors)

theidiot wrote:
But let's paint the dilemma, an unbeliever who believes in hope such as the one i described, is as oxymoronic as an unbeliever who believes there is an inherent sense of intelligent design to the universe, an unbelieving ID proponent.

Of course. That's because the hope you describe involves the production of some invisible elements that you can't exactly guarantee.

theidiot wrote:
Saying there is hope that is not dominated by what's in our present reality, that there is hope even when an analysis of the conditions, present despair and not hopefulness, ask the question what is the source of such hope. What can make such hope possible?

It amazes me to say it, but it seems you really wouldn't understand. I don't usually say that, but I've tried to convey the hope to you before, and it just doesn't seem to stick. Okay, one more time: there is always hope. Hope is just a different way of looking at the world. Hope is a survival technique, and sometimes it's a lie. We can't know the future, so it's not as though the lie is malicious, it's just the best way to keep us from panic.

theidiot wrote:
Quote:
That I can have hope, even in misery? Because you make it seem as though I shouldn't be able to in the absence of gods.

Someone who does, is not much of an atheist, or hasn't thought too much of his disbelief.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're answering there - are you saying an atheist with hope isn't much of an atheist? That seems a weak argument from someone who's never been an atheist before.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:theidiot

Quote:
theidiot wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're answering there - are you saying an atheist with hope isn't much of an atheist? That seems a weak argument from someone who's never been an atheist before.

Will, do you ever get tired of watching theists make logical pretzels?  I don't.  This one is a new one on me.  Atheists with hope are bad atheists.  So... um... atheists can have hope, but if they do, they're bad atheists... but atheists can't have hope because if they did, they'd... um... 

Seriously, I need a flowchart.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Will, do

Hambydammit wrote:

Will, do you ever get tired of watching theists make logical pretzels?  I don't.  This one is a new one on me.  Atheists with hope are bad atheists.  So... um... atheists can have hope, but if they do, they're bad atheists... but atheists can't have hope because if they did, they'd... um... 

Well, its good to know you know how to snip out his post, and not understand what he said in context. But I'm not going to correct that for you, you can do that on your own.

An atheist who believes in an enduring hope, a hope that is always there, even in misery, would be as odd as an atheist who believes the cosmos have an intelligent design behind it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:An atheist who

Quote:
An atheist who believes in an enduring hope, a hope that is always there, even in misery, would be as odd as an atheist who believes the cosmos have an intelligent design behind it.

Um... as long as I am alive, I believe I will have hope, even when I am in misery.  Am I a bad atheist?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:An

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Um... as long as I am alive, I believe I will have hope, even when I am in misery.  Am I a bad atheist?

Not until you're past your expiration date.

This took a turn for the surreal, did it not?

TheIdiot, Why have you not yet addressed my argument for being hopeful in the face of misery without the need for a god?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:An

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Ok, we'll play along. 

What makes you hopeful? Can whatever it is that makes you hopeful, change? What do you have an enduring hope in?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:TheIdiot,

JillSwift wrote:

TheIdiot, Why have you not yet addressed my argument for being hopeful in the face of misery without the need for a god?

Ah, well Jill don't take it as me ignoring your argument, but it's been a busy day, and it's easy to take a few second breaks to write a response here and there, but it's not so easy to take a longer break that would be required to write your response, being that it would be a bit more lengthier than one or two sentences, and require a bit more thought to articulate decent enough. 

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline

theidiot wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Ah, well Jill don't take it as me ignoring your argument, but it's been a busy day, and it's easy to take a few second breaks to write a response here and there, but it's not so easy to take a longer break that would be required to write your response, being that it would be a bit more lengthier than one or two sentences, and require a bit more thought to articulate decent enough.

Okies.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Ok, we'll play

Quote:
Ok, we'll play along.

Thanks for humoring me.

Quote:
What makes you hopeful?

Partly my genes.  It is empirically demonstrable (and very well demonstrated, I might add) that people with hopeful attitudes are more functional in society.  That's a fancy way of saying that "hopefullness" is a selectable trait.  Since it aids societal functioning, we shouldn't be surprised that a societal species (humans) has become pretty much ubiquitously hopeful.

It should go without saying that only highly intelligent creatures can have any kind of long term hope, but somehow, I feel like I need to say it.

Anyway, I'm not sure that's exactly what you were asking, so I'll tell you what I think you want to know.  Personally, my experience and observations make me hopeful.  I've observed the world as well as I can, and people as thoroughly as I care to, and based on my knowledge of the past and present, it seems very likely that my future will be basically ok.

Quote:
Can whatever it is that makes you hopeful, change?

My genes can't change.  Until I die, I will always be a member of a species that is prone to hopefulness.

Sure, the world could change drastically at any time.  I doubt it will, though.

Quote:
What do you have an enduring hope in?

Enduring hope?  You mean, something I consistently hope for?  I hope I have a happy life pretty much all the time.  I have always hoped for peace as opposed to war, health instead of sickness.  I hope we figure something out instead of fossil fuels.  I hope we don't kill all the whales.  I hope my friends have happy lives.  I hope I don't get cancer.  There are a lot of things that I feel pretty certain I will always hope for.

Books about atheism

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Personally, my experience and observations make me hopeful.  I've observed the world as well as I can, and people as thoroughly as I care to, and based on my knowledge of the past and present, it seems very likely that my future will be basically ok.

Well, this is not the sort of hope I'm referring as being at odds with disbelief. 

I'm speaking about what Jurgeon Moltman would refer to as hope when there's nothing to be hopeful for, not the hope like those who live in castles, comfortably believing that their good fortune will last them well into the future since it has lasted them in the past. 

You have hope contingent on the fortunes of your past and present, that these good fortunes would carry you through, but that's not the hope I'm speaking of in misery. I am speaking of those whose past and present are not so fortunate, men of grief, that if you were to apply the same reasoning that leads you to believe your future will be ok to theirs, you'd come to conclusion that theirs probably won't be.

Your hope is contingent on a future that follows in the fortunes of your past, but I am speaking of hope that is not contingent on these sort of things, that endures regardless of misery. Like those black slaves who had a sense of hope, that nothing could take away from them. That's enduring hope, and what you proclaimed as your hope is not it.

Quote:
My genes can't change.  Until I die, I will always be a member of a species that is prone to hopefulness.

We are creatures prone to hopefulness, as much as we are creatures prone to despair.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I'm speaking about

Quote:
I'm speaking about what Jurgeon Moltman would refer to as hope when there's nothing to be hopeful for, not the hope like those who live in castles, comfortably believing that their good fortune will last them well into the future since it has lasted them in the past.

Huh?  You mean like wishing I would win the lottery when I never buy tickets?

I have no particular reason to believe we won't hunt whales to extinction, but I still hope that we won't.  Why doesn't that count?

Quote:
I am speaking of those whose past and present are not so fortunate, men of grief, that if you were to apply the same reasoning that leads you to believe your future will be ok to theirs, you'd come to conclusion that theirs probably won't be.

Are you suggesting I've never known grief?  That I've never lived in poverty?  I assure you, I'm quite familiar with despair.  Even when things were absolutely horrible, I still had hope.  How bad off do I have to get before it will be impossible for me to wish things will get better?  That seems... counterintuitive.

Quote:
Your hope is contingent on a future that follows in the fortunes of your past

Nah.  I hope my future is significantly better than my past.

Quote:
Like those black slaves who had a sense of hope, that nothing could take away from them. That's enduring hope, and what you proclaimed as your hope is not it.

WTF?

That doesn't make any sense, dude.

Quote:
We are creatures prone to hopefulness, as much as we are creatures prone to despair.

No, we're not.  All things being equal, humans tend to be hopeful more than pessimistic.  It's science, buddy.  The data doesn't lie.

Books about atheism

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Huh?  You

Hambydammit wrote:

Huh?  You mean like wishing I would win the lottery when I never buy tickets?

I have no particular reason to believe we won't hunt whales to extinction, but I still hope that we won't.  Why doesn't that count?

Uhm...there's a difference between saying I hope no children are going to be killed in Gaza, and saying I have hope that no children are going to be killed in Gaza.

or I hope that no child in Malawi will die of starvation in , and I have hope that no child in Malawi  will die of starvation. Do you understand the difference?

Quote:
Are you suggesting I've never known grief?  That I've never lived in poverty?  I assure you, I'm quite familiar with despair.  Even when things were absolutely horrible, I still had hope.

Uhm...let's quote what you said again, when I asked you what makes you hopeful: "based on my knowledge of the past and present, it seems very likely that my future will be basically ok."

And what I said is that I am speaking of individuals who based on the knowledge of their past and present, that it seems very likely that their future won't be basically ok. I'm puzzled by why you didn't understand that the first time.

Quote:
How bad off do I have to get before it will be impossible for me to wish things will get better?  That seems... counterintuitive.

Read what I wrote at the beginning of this post, then perhaps you'll see what's wrong here. 

Quote:
Nah.  I hope my future is significantly better than my past.

A peripheral correction, but okay. 

Your hope is contingent on the fortunes of your past and present. 

Quote:
WTF?

That doesn't make any sense, dude.

Ah, allow me to make sense of it for you, by first having you tell me what about it doesn't make sense to you?

Quote:
No, we're not.  All things being equal, humans tend to be hopeful more than pessimistic.  It's science, buddy.  The data doesn't lie.

Really? Is that the science? Is that what the data shows? I'm really interested in seeing this. I had trouble finding this data myself, but perhaps since you seen it, you can show it to me as well? 

Can you show me the scientific data that shows that most human beings are optimist, and not pessimists? 

And I hope you think twice before bringing me a poll taken of swedes. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Hambydammit

theidiot wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Well, its good to know you know how to snip out his post, and not understand what he said in context. But I'm not going to correct that for you, you can do that on your own.

Oh, it's only enduring hope that would make me a bad atheist. Well that certainly explains it, doesn't it, Hamby?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "enduring hope" is, in your opinion, only possible with a Father in the Sky who promises you The Eternal Mohito Afterlife Cruise? Obviously I don't buy that. That's something that would make me a bad atheist.

But enduring hope? That's just keeping your shit together, as far as I'm concerned. So I'm not sure exactly why that would make me a bad atheist. You're not really elucidating the important point here, champ.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Oh, it's

HisWillness wrote:

Oh, it's only enduring hope that would make me a bad atheist. Well that certainly explains it, doesn't it, Hamby?

Ah, you "dudes", you put a smile on my face. I'm serous, you two do. 

Did i ever use the words, "bad atheist"? 

Here's what I did say:

Quote:
"An atheist who believes in an enduring hope, a hope that is always there, even in misery, would be as odd as an atheist who believes the cosmos have an intelligent design behind it."

In our previous correspondence, I gave you a brief summary of my hope:

Quote:
"I believe all that I do good in life is not in vain, that loving humanity is not a wasted effort, that there is always hope, even in misery. Even if science doesn't lead us to conceive of such hope, even the cleansing power of liberalism doesn't do it for us, even the nature of man doesn't give us hope, that hope is still present. "

And you replied: "And yet I can experience all this hope"

And hey, maybe you do, but it would be as odd as an atheist who believes the cosmos have an intelligent design behind it.

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "enduring hope" is, in your opinion, only possible with a Father in the Sky who promises you The Eternal Mohito Afterlife Cruise? Obviously I don't buy that. That's something that would make me a bad atheist.

And you would be wrong, "enduring hope", is only possible with a belief in that which can make it possible, a belief in that which can only fulfill it. 

If it's not a hope contingent on things in this reality, like Ham's past and present, like hope in the goodness of humanity, or hope in science and technology, but a hope that endures even without them, it's a hope in something transcendent to reality.

The sense of hope in my life, unlike Ham's doesn't come from a fortunate past that leads me to believe the future is going to be ok, it doesn't come from a hope in scientific progression, the goodness of humanity, liberalism, humanism, hope in rationalism, it doesn't come from someone singing to me "imagine no religion".

It comes from the only view of life that such hope is possible, a view of life with a narrative, that we live a poetic form of human existence. Good can never be in vain, only in such a view. Hope when there's nothing to hope for can only be in such a view.

And the name we give to that which can give this life, is God.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:And you would

theidiot wrote:

And you would be wrong, "enduring hope", is only possible with a belief in that which can make it possible, a belief in that which can only fulfill it. 

If it's not a hope contingent on things in this reality, like Ham's past and present, like hope in the goodness of humanity, or hope in science and technology, but a hope that endures even without them, it's a hope in something transcendent to reality.

The sense of hope in my life, unlike Ham's doesn't come from a fortunate past that leads me to believe the future is going to be ok, it doesn't come from a hope in scientific progression, the goodness of humanity, liberalism, humanism, hope in rationalism, it doesn't come from someone singing to me "imagine no religion".

It comes from the only view of life that such hope is possible, a view of life with a narrative, that we live a poetic form of human existence. Good can never be in vain, only in such a view. Hope when there's nothing to hope for can only be in such a view.

And the name we give to that which can give this life, is God.

Special pleading.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Special

JillSwift wrote:

Special pleading.

uhm......ok?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

theidiot wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Special pleading.

uhm......ok?

Glad you're cool with your God being a logical fallacy.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Glad you're

jcgadfly wrote:

Ignoratio elenchi.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:jcgadfly

theidiot wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Ignoratio elenchi.

He's not trying to pass off an apparently valid argument that does not address the issue.  In fact, he is making a statement.  At most you could construe it as some sort of red herring, if you rose to the challenge of actually responding to what is most likely meant to be rhetorical.  Oh, but you did...

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

theidiot wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Ignoratio elenchi.

Just like the way you addressed Jill's statement. If you have to violate the rules of logic to sell yourself on your God - how good can he really be?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Just like the

jcgadfly wrote:

Just like the way you addressed Jill's statement. If you have to violate the rules of logic to sell yourself on your God - how good can he really be?

Base rate fallacy.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline

theidiot wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Base rate fallacy.

Can you explain how that's a base rate fallacy?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Can you

Thomathy wrote:

Can you explain how that's a base rate fallacy?

My george, I think he's got it!

1 down, 2 to go. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah... I'm really curious

Yeah... I'm really curious about that myself, Thomathy.  Idiot, are you suggesting that um... hmm... honestly this is hard to work out... there is a base probability that logic is wrong, and that jcgadfly has not properly accounted for that probability in surmising that your dismissal of logic is unjustified?

By the way, when we suppose that there is "hope" which isn't "hope" but is something different, guess what we have.... Oh, I'll tell you... we have an undefined term.  It's all fine and dandy to claim that some human experience is "not ordinary hope" or however you want to phrase it, but that doesn't say what it is.  Particularly if you're going to claim that some external agency -- not just an environment, but something with agency within the environment, or worse, something with agency outside of the environment(!!) -- is singularly responsible for the existence of this human experience, you've got a long row to hoe.  First, you need to coherently define this experience. 

For the purposes of clarity, could we decide on another word besides hope?  I'm afraid I'm pretty much stuck with my own understanding of hope as a human emotion which needs no external agency for justification.  Why don't we call it "Loftel"?  I have no idea why, but it seems like a fun word to say.  If you want to invent a different word, that's ok, but for right now, I'm going to call it loftel.

So... if I understand this correctly, humans have hope, which is a biological phenomenon.  Hope is essentially a feeling of desire for a particular aspect of the future.  Desire is nothing special.  We need no external agency.  I hope the Giants beat the Eagles in their playoff game.  That is to say, I desire that outcome.  We can also speak of hope in terms of ongoing states of being.  I can hope (desire) that I have a healthy future.  So long as I am alive, I am in a more or less continuing state of desiring that my future will be healthy.  This is, to the best of my understanding, the hope that you have dismissed as not being sufficient for your claim.

With that out the window, tell me what Loftel is.  That's the new word for the phenomenon for which an external non-human agency is sufficient, and I presume necessary as that has been the implication of your posts.

Books about atheism