Too many people...

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Too many people...

At the risk of sounding like a complete dickhead.... I think there are way too many fucking people on this planet. It's about time we handled this problem. What do you guys and girls think?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. 

Yes.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm, we have condoms,

Hmmm, we have condoms, pills, sponges, fleshlights, visectomies, and safe abortions, you'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to stop making babies...

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. It's a shame, I had

Yes.

It's a shame, I had such High Hopes for the Avian Flu when it first made its debut, however it quickly became apparent that it would do no more damage than SARS. We need a good plague to bring the population back to manageable levels.

A good war might be able to help, however at this point I have serious doubts that a war devestating enough to usefully cull the population would manage to not become nuclear, and that will do too much damage.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Definitely. Put a big

Definitely. Put a big ammount of blame and huge ammounts of cess-ridden filth on the Catholic church for their anti-birth control stance. Most of the civilized world has a low birth rate - either a declining population or increasing only due to immigration. The 3rd world keeps reproducing at an insane rate.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Many of us have been saying

Many of us have been saying this for quite some time, and the blame lies in many areas. Sustenance farming in third world countries is a big culprit because instead of hiring help, sustenance farmers will birth more children to help farm. Lack of education, and in many cases suppression of education, is also one of the big culprits. This problem is only going to get worse if nothing is done to avert this crisis.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I think there is too

I think there is too many people on this planet who consumes 4 times more food, water and energy than they need to have a good life.
We here complain on, for example, Africans for being too numerous, but we really can't blame them. They're killed by hunger, wars, AIDS and pollution and they consume almost nothing compared to us. Their national economies are dictated by International Monetary Fund, so a majority of their production goes to our supermarkets for ridiculous prices, where it rots. We are masters at wasting of resources.

I'm pretty sure it's unethical to talk about lowering a number of people, when the real problem is the exaggerated consumption and it's OUR consumption in the first place! Not theirs, we can't blame for consumption the almost 3 billions of people living from less than 1 dollar per day, or the 800 millions directly suffering from hunger, or the 10 millions of them who dies from hunger every year.

The education and contraception are very good things, but there is no way how to get them to the poorer half of the world. First, a situation there must be stabilized by humanitary help, rebuilding of economies, negotiation with extremistic leaders, forgiving them all their debts (which is only just), restoring their independence, sharing of resources and other such very logical and necessary steps. Then people there will be able to get educated (about a contraception, for example). But until then, what? Wanna come there, into a poorest village or a slum, and say "there is too much of you guys, what about you all getting sterilized, so we unimaginably rich and fat people of the West and North can have even better life?"
Well then hope they doesn't understand English.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
dead_again wrote:Many of us

dead_again wrote:

Many of us have been saying this for quite some time, and the blame lies in many areas. Sustenance farming in third world countries is a big culprit because instead of hiring help, sustenance farmers will birth more children to help farm. Lack of education, and in many cases suppression of education, is also one of the big culprits. This problem is only going to get worse if nothing is done to avert this crisis.

Are you kidding me? So a poor sustenance farming couple waits several years to make and raise several children, so they can finally start farming? I know that the farmers there may not be very good at economy, but they're not stupid. Why the hell won't they hire a help?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sinphanius wrote:Yes. It's a

Sinphanius wrote:
Yes. It's a shame, I had such High Hopes for the Avian Flu when it first made its debut, however it quickly became apparent that it would do no more damage than SARS. We need a good plague to bring the population back to manageable levels. A good war might be able to help, however at this point I have serious doubts that a war devestating enough to usefully cull the population would manage to not become nuclear, and that will do too much damage.

Same here.

hazindu wrote:
Hmmm, we have condoms, pills, sponges, fleshlights, visectomies, and safe abortions, you'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to stop making babies...

If it were up to me you'd have to meet some sort of set requirements to have children. I know it sounds awful, but I'm sure everyone here agrees there are people who should definitely not have kids. We could even use this unnatural selection to improve the species. And before anyone says it I am not racist.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Way too many human beings.As

Way too many human beings.

As long as you don't put us in some special category, and recognize that overpopulation is a problem when it comes to any animal, I don't think you're being dickheaded at all - just observant.

6-7 billion is too high a sustainable population for the world to handle - and it's still getting bigger. Most projections show that we won't reach a 'natural' peak-out until the 20 billion mark or so! This is a huge problem, and it means we must do something if we hope to survive past another few centuries.

Birth control is, IMHO, one of the best possible solutions - and is largely only blocked by a lack of education. This means that the afore-mentioned solution is essentially predicated on weaning people off of their supernatural saviors and getting them hooked on critical thought instead.

Honestly, I'm not sure I could hope for the above without being seen as delerious.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Are you kidding me? So

Quote:
Are you kidding me? So a poor sustenance farming couple waits several years to make and raise several children, so they can finally start farming? I know that the farmers there may not be very good at economy, but they're not stupid. Why the hell won't they hire a help?

No, Luminon. It works the same way it did for pioneers who first moved to North America:

You start-up a homestead & farm, beginning small and working upward (perhaps with the help of a spouse or some friends/neighbor volunteers), birthing children early and getting them out in the field more or less as soon as they can carry a bag of seeds. It works surprisingly well, from a certain perspective; you essentially get to pick-up an extra set of free hands every 5 years or so.

This is how the whole 'family farm' paradigm first started.

They won't hire help because kids are much cheaper and more easily controlled, and they aren't educated of the mid to long-term consequences of having large families.

EDIT: Oh, and you can go right ahead and substantiate your overconsumption vs overpopulation claim, please.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:If it

spike.barnett wrote:
If it were up to me you'd have to meet some sort of set requirements to have children. I know it sounds awful, but I'm sure everyone here agrees there are people who should definitely not have kids. We could even use this unnatural selection to improve the species. And before anyone says it I am not racist.
I agree with that, and I've made myself quite unpopular by suggesting it before.  I think we need some kind of standard of both physical and mental health as a requirement for reproduction.  Society doesn't need to be flooded with family trees such as my own which are prone to cancer, diabetes, depression, theism, ugliness, adult acne, ADD, obesity and a host of other afflictions I wouldn't wish on any kid.  Of course, those licensed to breed should be limited in how many children they can have.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: EDIT:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

EDIT: Oh, and you can go right ahead and substantiate your overconsumption vs overpopulation claim, please.

All right, except of a general statements of this kind which appears quite often over the years, the most recent one was here:

Beyond Terror

by Chris Abbot, Paul Rogers and Johan Sloboda
An excerpt from the book studying a close relationship between the global crises and threats we are in.

The article with excerpt is available here, just scroll below the article by Scott Champion named 'The end of unfettered capitalism' (which is magnificent btw) and there it is. There are the paragraphs with some more precise numbers.

hazindu wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:
I agree with that, and I've made myself quite unpopular by suggesting it before.  I think we need some kind of standard of both physical and mental health as a requirement for reproduction.  Society doesn't need to be flooded with family trees such as my own which are prone to cancer, diabetes, depression, theism, ugliness, adult acne, ADD, obesity and a host of other afflictions I wouldn't wish on any kid.  Of course, those licensed to breed should be limited in how many children they can have.

It seems to me like a vain patchwork, without solving the primal cause of all that. It's not rational to have a society producing so abundantly the above mentioned kinds of children and then to blame the children.  I say, first stop pissing into a pond, before attempting to filter the water. This is not a genetical problem which could be solved by selective breeding. I will now propose a real causes of it.
cancer - environmental pollution, a society supporting unhealthy food and habits
diabetes - environmental pollution, a culture supporting unhealthy food and habits
depression - a competitive, dehumanized quasi-culture (just 'culture' further )
theism - a fear-based culture, non-critical education suppressing individuality and self-value
ugliness - a competitive culture with a commercial idol of a skinny woman, which is anyway not preferred by the most of men
adult acne - environmental pollution, a culture supporting unhealthy food and habits
ADD - who knows, but the co-factors may be an environmental pollution, food, and social pressure
obesity - too much of food and junk food, a competitive culture creating a lot of stress, a policy of food corporations, misusing the endorphinal brain reaction on food as a hard drug, and so on.

I know, there are genetic causes, but these are not primary, nor the most important for now. They can not be solved on the mass scale anyway, until the above mentioned causes will be solved first. (environmental pollution also counts with a nuclear radiation)

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mother nature will solve the

Mother nature will solve the problem for us. However, it is sad that we as a species are the only one on the planet that can do anything about our population. Our reliance on technology is partially to blame. I think too many people believe that technology will always be the savior. For example, the boom in population in the 1800s to the present was almost a direct result of more efficient farming practices and the advent of the oil economy. The down side is that modern farming practices and the strain on food production is creating topsoil erosion that is greater than the rate it is replenished naturally. Now we have growing populations and a greater need for even more efficient farming. At what point does the entire system collapse?

In some respects, we are no better than any other animal, as the biological drive to reproduce is innate in our species. The major problem I have with limiting the population is who decides what a stable population is. Is it ethically responsible to force population limits?

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:dead_again

Luminon wrote:

dead_again wrote:

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. They can't afford help on their farm, so they have more children. I do not remeber exactly where I saw or read it, but it's not uncommon for families in third world countries to have 10 or 12 children to help on the farm. Also, most of the time it's not just a "farming couple" as you put it, but a whole extended family.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I could concur with

I think I could concur with you guys that the biggest problem is sore lack of birth control education, not just lack of it but active blocking of it, and of course, we all know who the culprit of that is.

Very well then. If the religious lunatics so hell bent on the stopping of birth control wish for a natural method to control the population, they shall get one. Starvation.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The answer in the first

The answer in the first world is remarkably easy.  Government funded free birth control and abortion coupled with comprehensive sex education beginning in grade school.  Free vasectomies to any male, whatsoever.  End stupid rules like the ones in Georgia hospitals where medicare won't cover the cost of a birth if the woman gets a tubal ligation while having a C-section.  Yeah... that's a rule.  Go figure that one out.  Makes no sense to me.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I've read somewhere once

I've read somewhere once that humans are the only animals that reproduce more when food/resources are scarce. Every other species cuts back on reproduction then. Anyone know more about that?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:End stupid

Hambydammit wrote:
End stupid rules like the ones in Georgia hospitals where medicare won't cover the cost of a birth if the woman gets a tubal ligation while having a C-section.
Can you explain that to me?  I know I must sound stupid, but I honestly don't understand.  It seems like I'm reading this: If a woman gives birth by C-section then she can't have a medicare covered tubal ligation?  But, if she gives birth otherwise, it is covered?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Essentially, yes.  If a

Essentially, yes.  If a woman goes in for a C-section and has a baby, and it's covered by medicare, medicare will revoke the coverage for the birth if the woman opts to have a tubal ligation at the same time.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:I think

spike.barnett wrote:

I think there are way too many fucking people on this planet.

Is it too many fucking people or too many people fucking that's the big problem?

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I've read

MattShizzle wrote:

I've read somewhere once that humans are the only animals that reproduce more when food/resources are scarce. Every other species cuts back on reproduction then. Anyone know more about that?

The only example I know of would say that this is incorrect. I think it was Jerod Diamond that used an example of reindeer introduced onto a remote island to feed a group of workers. When the workers left, the reindeer population exploded until they ate almost all the vegetation and most of the population starved to death. I don't think most animals will stop reproducing when resources get scarce. The population that remains may not be as viable genetically, but the drive to produce offspring is too great.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Dogmatikon
Dogmatikon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Overpopulation...

As far as I'm concerned, population control and eugenics are entirely unethical and immoral.  But, since you asked:

One could effect the slaughter of most of mankind in three ways: unfairly, fairly, and inclusively.  Let's take it as given that all three ways would require some sort of totalitarian world dictatorship.

The unfair way would depend upon the ruling system.  Exemption from death would ensure the military's loyalty. The victims would be chosen based on their correspondence in some aspect to the Powers that Be - race, religion, nationality, political affiliation, &c. could all come into play.  Then, there would follow a systematic elimination of the set of all x, where x =/= people in correspondence with this crucial aspect of the ruling party.

Under the fair system, a lottery would be used.  This could be at the national, ethnic, municipal, familial, or individual level (the larger the groups in the raffle, of course, the more feasibly it could be accomplished).  Either way, the losers (or winners, depending on how ironic the dictator is) of the lottery could be disposed of in an effective and efficient manner, e.g. burying alive, to be carried out by the military authorities.  To ensure these authorities' absolute loyalty to the lottery, they and their families would be exempted from the drawing.  Afterwards, whosoever chance spared would be left behind.

The inclusive, neo-liberal way would be to take a detailed census of the world, then to exterminate the desired number of people whilst ensuring that all statistically significant proportions of ethnicity, religion, nationality, municipality, gender, sexual orientation, handedness, IQ, &c. and all the combinations of the above (e.g. the population of lesbian,  female, Rastafarian Russians who write with their left hands and have an IQ between 110 and 112) are scrupulously preserved in the resulting smaller world population. 

You should pick the one which best represents your value system, though I would question the seriousness of any value system which views people as a problem, eagerly anticipates great evil befalling large swathes of the population, and seriously considers murder, eugenics, or population control as viable and necessary options.

I take it as given that you disagreed with my post; do come quickly to the point.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As far as I'm

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, population control and eugenics are entirely unethical and immoral.

Can you justify such a stance? In what way, for example, is population control less ethical than unfettered population growth to the point where starvation becomes widespread?

Quote:
One could effect the slaughter of most of mankind in three ways: unfairly, fairly, and inclusively.  Let's take it as given that all three ways would require some sort of totalitarian world dictatorship.

This is the equivalent of a false dichotomy (even though three option have been posed rather than two). You'll note that nearly everyone here has proposed birth control as the means of choice.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with euthanasia on a voluntary basis (painless death can be very cheaply applied on an efficient scale by way of nitrogen asphyxiation) either, though neither euthanasia nor eugenics (which I am also something of a proponent of) is necessary for effective population control (...'population control', come to think of it, isn't really the most accurate term. Population growth control is a little better).

Quote:
The inclusive, neo-liberal way would be to take a detailed census of the world, then to exterminate the desired number of people whilst ensuring that all statistically significant proportions of ethnicity, religion, nationality, municipality, gender, sexual orientation, handedness, IQ, &c. and all the combinations of the above (e.g. the population of lesbian,  female, Rastafarian Russians who write with their left hands and have an IQ between 110 and 112) are scrupulously preserved in the resulting smaller world population.

Source/Citation that would support your claim that this is the 'neo-liberal' mindset/agenda?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:eagerly anticipates

Quote:

eagerly anticipates great evil befalling large swathes of the population,

It's not a matter of wanting great evil to befall a large swath of the population. It's simply that if we don't control the population, Malthus will come back to haunt us. You asked how to "slaughter" most of mankind, and then forget the most obvious scenario. We do nothing, allow our population to grow unchecked, and most of them will die. It's basic ecology and population dynamics. Here we are merely applying Le Chatelier's principle to ecology.

-Me

Books about atheism

netopia
netopia's picture
User is offlineOffline
 guess who needs this

guess who needs this filthy subhuman races. cults and religious groups.

Dogmatikon
Dogmatikon's picture
User is offlineOffline
The middle portion of my

The middle portion of my original post, detailing three forms of speedy population reduction by a supposed "world totalitarian state" was an obvious satire, and I will not respond to the objections raised to it. 

Mr Brown wrote:

"Can you justify such a stance? In what way, for example, is population control less ethical 
than unfettered population growth to the point where starvation becomes widespread?"

I would answer that population control is less ethical because it is a deliberate choice, whereas unfettered population growth is a natural occurrence arising from the reproductive habits of individual humans, the artificially plentiful food supply, and effective disease control, among other factors.

There is no moral culpability where nature's acts are concerned, but there is certainly immorality involved in the ending, altering, or sterilising of people's lives against their will for what is postulated as the common good.

It's not a matter of wanting great evil to befall a large swath of the population. 
It's simply that if we don't control the population, Malthus will come back to haunt us. 
You asked how to "slaughter" most of mankind, and then forget the most obvious scenario. 
We do nothing, allow our population to grow unchecked, and most of them will die. 
It's basic ecology and population dynamics. 
Here we are merely applying Le Chatelier's principle to ecology.

You dropped a few names - some good ones, too!  Don't worry, I've picked them up for you.

Malthus does indeed predict that population will exceed its resources and sharply decline.  However, his essay is a documentation of what he sees as a natural phenomenon, not an imperative to prevent it!  In trying to forestall an unobserved phenomenon, one runs the risk of fruitlessly employing grossly unethical means, inhibiting the freedom and self-determination of countless individuals, to achieve nothing.

The only moral course is to allow the variable of population to continue to increase or decrease according to its own laws, whilst attempting to improve the supplies of food &c. (industry and science have achieved higher and higher plateaux of food production throughout history), thereby (as Le Chatelier would put it) increasing the "volume" wherein your population is expanding.

I take it as given that you disagreed with my post; do come quickly to the point.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dogmatikon wrote: One could

Dogmatikon wrote:
One could effect the slaughter of most of mankind...
wouw wouw wouw! Who said anything about killing people? Why would you presume that anyone would consider that ethical, let alone desirable?

Urging people to kill off eachother, and urging people to not bring to many new people into the world are very very different propositions indeed.

Dogmatikon wrote:
I would question the seriousness of any value system which views people as a problem

People are not the problem!!! Lack of resources are the problem! Who the hell do you think you are reading all this end-lösung crap into what is being said here?

I'll have you know I donate money to Unicef on a monthly basis, knowing full well that for every child my money hopefully saves from famine, disease or war, there is another mouth to feed in an allready starving world. Why do I do that if I worry about overpopulation? Because I can't stand the idea of people suffering!

But the thing is, since there are too many of us, we starve, we get sick, and we fight more over land and resources, and thus, more people suffer and die. THAT is the bleak outlook, and THAT is why I personally worry about overpopulation. Not because I despise people, but because I love people. ALL people! Fuck you!

Sorry for the rant, but that really pisses me off.

Dogmatikon wrote:
...eagerly anticipates great evil befalling large swathes of the population, and seriously considers murder, eugenics, or population control as viable and necessary options.

Man oh man... I'm not eagerly anticipating anything! I am dreading it!

Here's the thing: nature has its own way of dealing with the problem: think of fish eggs: millions and millions of fish eggs for every time one female fish goes through a reproductive cycle. How is this viable? Why isn't the Earth literally covered in fish? Because most of those eggs are eaten or diseased, or destroyed by shifts in temperature and ocean currents and stuff like that.

Now, if every person gets 10 children, into a world that can sustain only 0.5 children per person, their children will die, most of them very young, and some very painfully.

I want to live in a world where as many people as possible live long, happy, fulfilled lives, and not in a world where natural selection gets to run ruffshot over human kind.

Remember, that despite the many metaphors used about it (The Selfish Gene for example), natural selection is not a sentient entity that intends anything; it doesn't help us to be good, nor does it wish us ill. It doesn't wish anything. It is simply a system, and even that is not created by anything sentient, it is more like an effect in the universe.

I do not fear for the future of life on this planet: the cliche about rats and cochroaches outliving us all is reasonable enough, and certainly bacteria aren't going anywhere soon. Indeed, I believe the human race itself is resilient enough to survive anything nature can throw at us, short of a giant meteor.

But in what form will the human race survive?

If starvation, disease, and war vipes out 90% of everyone alive today, there will still be more of us, than there was when Homo Sapiens first arrived on the scene.

But, while I may enjoy the Mad Max scenario as Science Fiction, I dread it like no other prospect for the future of the human race. Do you want your great grandchildren to live in a savage, dangerous, immoral, every-tribe-for-themselves society, like our ancestors were forced to for thousands of years?

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dogmatikon wrote:The only

Dogmatikon wrote:

The only moral course is to allow the variable of population to continue to increase or decrease according to its own laws, whilst attempting to improve the supplies of food &c. (industry and science have achieved higher and higher plateaux of food production throughout history), thereby (as Le Chatelier would put it) increasing the "volume" wherein your population is expanding.

Of course there's always the Soylent Green option.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dogmatikon wrote:The middle

Dogmatikon wrote:

The middle portion of my original post, detailing three forms of speedy population reduction by a supposed "world totalitarian state" was an obvious satire, and I will not respond to the objections raised to it. 

Mr Brown wrote:

"Can you justify such a stance? In what way, for example, is population control less ethical 
than unfettered population growth to the point where starvation becomes widespread?"

I would answer that population control is less ethical because it is a deliberate choice, whereas unfettered population growth is a natural occurrence arising from the reproductive habits of individual humans, the artificially plentiful food supply, and effective disease control, among other factors.

There is no moral culpability where nature's acts are concerned, but there is certainly immorality involved in the ending, altering, or sterilising of people's lives against their will for what is postulated as the common good.

If any of those things was not against their will, on what basis would you claim it was immoral? Leave out the 'ending' if you like, euthanasia does raise more issues, understandably, but what is 'wrong' with voluntary sterilization in particular? An education campaign to make people aware of all the issues, aid to remove the perceived need for more children to work the fields, and so on.

We do not have the capacity even with major technological advancement to adequately feed the predicted population.

EDIT:  Given that winding back population growth is a necessity, to avoid masive conflict and starvation, voluntary sterilization is the least intrusive approach, allowing people to conduct their lives normally in all areas except that of bearing more children. Especially if it can be done reversibly, to allow for the case of tragedies where the pre-sterilization children, if any, are lost to accident or disease.

EDIT2: Of course, if they can be persuaded not to have more children, that is arguably less intrusive, but it will typically require more change in behaviour, either conscientious use of condoms  or abstinence, which are less effective.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I would answer that

Quote:

This is fallacious reasoning (argument from nature). There is nothing 'more moral', somehow, about letting a few billion people starve to death just because it would be a natural outcome. I would remind you that there is technically nothing you can name, within a rational framework, that does not act according to natural principles (if I fire a gun at some, for example, it is not the deliberate pulling of the trigger that causes their death - it is the wholly natural forces of kinetic energy & physics that the bullet acts upon that does the deed).

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dogmatikon wrote: I would

Dogmatikon wrote:

I completely agree.

If a tidal wave kills a thousand people, it is a terrible tragidy, but noone is to blame.

If warfare kills a thousand people, there is moral culporability: certainly the tyranical, cynical dictator instigating such warfare is culporable, his cronies, his Göbells (or his Rumsfeld, if you will) are culporable. As far as I'm concerned, even the young, scared, confused soldier who shoots another soldier in a "fair" fight, even has to bear his part of the blame, even if it is only a little part.

However, this is only a statement of fact. It gets us nowhere. Read on to see that while I agree with you on this point, that means nothing to the argument.

Dogmatikon wrote:

The only moral course?

I find it immoral to kill people against their will. I find it immoral to force people, through intimidation, to not have children.

BUT I do not find it immoral to urge people to not have children. And you can urge them however you like. If a poor African farmer wants to have 12 children, I would want to tell him that I think he shouldn't. I would argue as best I could. But I would do my best to understand his motives, and I would know, that some arguments would be counter-productive, even if I found them morally correct arguments.

If a well off Libetarian American wants to espouse his freedom to, his right to, have 12 children, and that noone has the right to tell him not to, I would argue with him too, but I would readily use the emotional argument that I think he was being spoiled, self-serving, and, literally: immoral.

We are all free to do whatever we want. Indeed, ironically, we are bound to, forced to do whatever we want (that is: only I can make my own choices).

So freedom is a red herring. You can kill people if you want to. You'll have to deal with the potential social and legal fall-out of that, but it is your choice to do whatever you want. You are FREE to do so. Responsibility is what is not given. We have to fight for responsibility: both our own, and others'. You can't fight for freedom. Every act you do, every thought you have is free. It cannot be otherwise.

And I want to fight for responsibility. I will be responsible. I will have no more than two children, one for me, and one for whoever I have them with. That way, at least, I wont bring more people into the world.

I will urge others to take that responsibility. And depending on who I try to urge to be responsible, I will urge them with conviction and with passion, and I don't care if it offends their selfish impulses.

Libetarians who want to espouse their freedom to have as many children as they want can kiss my ass! I have an earful to tell them about starvation, disease and warfare, and about taking responsibility for their fellow man and their planet's future, and not just themselves, and their immediate family.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:And I want to fight

Quote:
And I want to fight for responsibility. I will be responsible. I will have no more than two children, one for me, and one for whoever I have them with. That way, at least, I wont bring more people into the world.

This highlights the almost silly part of this dangerous state of affairs:

Who the fuck needs more than two children? How can you justify that breathtaking level of selfishness? It's like arguing that you should be entitled to whatever amount of space & decadence you wish.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The thing that's really

The thing that's really fucking nuts is when you mention you don't want to have any children some people act like that's immoral. I agree murdering people is wrong but birth control is not. I think it soon would be a good idea to have a 1-child law throughout most of the world the way China has, but much more strictly enforced and more severe penalties for violating it.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The thing

MattShizzle wrote:

The thing that's really fucking nuts is when you mention you don't want to have any children some people act like that's immoral. I agree murdering people is wrong but birth control is not. I think it soon would be a good idea to have a 1-child law throughout most of the world the way China has, but much more strictly enforced and more severe penalties for violating it.

And in a way I agree with you Matt, and also you Kevin. Two children are the absolute maximum, and the one child-law might go a long way to aleaviate the problem, but both of you should understand this:

The decision that I will never have more than two children, unless by the result of a "happy accident" was a dificult one for me. I arrived at it a few years back, only after serious consideration, through a strong sense of responsibity to do my, incredably tiny part to improve the future of mankind.

You see, I am one of four siblings, and I have so much love for my sister and brothers, and am very very happy to have grown up with them.

I also work with children, and I can see the many difficulties that arise from being an only child: more difficulties in aquiring good social skills, and the problem of being so pampered by parents, that it makes you too self-centered, and expectant of the world around you.

Now, all people are different, and so all only-children are different, so of course I'm not implying that it is extremely harmful to grow up without any siblings. My best friend is an only child, and hasn't suffered any real adverse effects.

But what I mean is, I can understand, and have alot of sympathy for, the incentive to have two, three and four children, and I can't personally understand the incentive not to have any, although I deeply respect it Matt, so don't worry. I think you are fully entitled to have no children (if that is what you want), and I admire the fact that you stand by your decission proudly, and that goes for all of you here who say you don't want to have children.

Now, guys, I know that you, Kevin are a sarcastic, sometimes cynical-sounding poster, and that you rarely discuss the personal emotions involved in a discussion of sociology such as this thread, and you Matt are a provocatour extraordinaire, who enjoy talking about all the governmental programs you would like to see implemented to control stupid people, but I am just a big softy really, and this is how I roll. So you write your posts in your style, and I respond to them in my style: emotionally, vulnerable and sincere.

I respect you both, so don't percieve it as an attack on your posts, just a response. Please don't feel threatened by my touchy-feely hippie response.

Feel free to be annoyed at it though. I get annoyed at some of your cold, snide, calculating responses often enough after all Smiling

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:However, his

Quote:

However, his essay is a documentation of what he sees as a natural phenomenon, not an imperative to prevent it!

Yes, I know that as well as anyone, but I didn't bring him up because I wanted his opinion on what to do about population, I brought him up because of a very explicit point about ecology. Populations cannot sustain indefinite growth. In Malthus' time, the human population was far less than half a billion. Today it is 7 billion. Right now I live in China. Since the late 1970s, the Chinese have implemented a one child policy. Is it draconian? Yes. But is there mass starvation in China? No. Was it necessary? Probably.

Quote:

The only moral course is to allow the variable of population to continue to increase or decrease according to its own laws

Why? Why is it more moral a course to allow mass starvation to run its course than to employ birth control? Current population growth cannot continue indefinitely (that much is obvious from a purely mathematical standpoint). One way or another, our current boom will stop dead in its tracks. It matters only whether that stop is by our hand, or that of nature. And believe me, nature has no ethical qualms about anything.

Quote:

inhibiting the freedom and self-determination of countless individuals,

I am not suggesting forcing birth control. If anything, it is the freedom of access to birth control that will be the most important factor in stemming population control. It is well known that birth rates go down with education and affluence. Choice in the matter of birth control naturally lends itself to population control. Granted, in China, the problem was a combination of large population and extremely poor literacy and education levels, leaving the government with little choice, and we can debate the morality or lack thereof of forcing birth control,  but there is absolutely no excuse for anything less than free and open access to birth control for everyone.

Quote:

thereby (as Le Chatelier would put it) increasing the "volume" wherein your population is expanding.

But as any chemist will tell you, Le Chatelier's principle states that changes in a system will tend to incur negative feedback loops. The input of raw materials to sustain a system can continue only insofar as the rate of input of raw materials can keep up with the resulting increase in the size of the system. This is not a positive feedback loop and that is the whole point of Le Chateliar's principle.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I would answer that

Quote:

As other people have already pointed out, this is a naturalistic fallacy. One the one hand, the control of the population that we are referring to in this context is about measures by which people can have sex without concieving a child (or failing that, aborting the foetus). Furthermore, we are emphasizing the fact that the ability of people to choose to control the process of conception is an important part of this process (forced birth control is a different matter). On the other, we are allowing a course to continue which will certainly lead to the destruction of vast numbers of actual and tangible lives as opposed to what are little more than potential human experiences. The choice between the two is obvious.

-Me

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That sort of insanity could

That sort of insanity could only come from one who considers a fetus or even a sperm/egg as equal to an actual person. Seing starvation as better than or equal to using birth control or abortion is batshit crazy. Please go see the video for "Every Sperm is Sacred. "

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The decision that I

Quote:

The decision that I will never have more than two children, unless by the result of a "happy accident" was a dificult one for me. I arrived at it a few years back, only after serious consideration, through a strong sense of responsibity to do my, incredably tiny part to improve the future of mankind.

You see, I am one of four siblings, and I have so much love for my sister and brothers, and am very very happy to have grown up with them.

That's rather interesting. I grew-up with two siblings (older brother, younger sister), and certainly some days felt like I had at least one sibling too many. Sticking out tongue

But, yes, I know what you mean. I do love both of my siblings. Personally, I think I'd have been just fine with just one sibling - but I suppose I'll never be sure about that.

Quote:
But what I mean is, I can understand, and have alot of sympathy for, the incentive to have two, three and four children, and I can't personally understand the incentive not to have any, although I deeply respect it Matt, so don't worry. I think you are fully entitled to have no children (if that is what you want), and I admire the fact that you stand by your decission proudly, and that goes for all of you here who say you don't want to have children.

Well, realistically, 3 kids probably wouldn't be too bad an average number per person either (some people not being able to reproduce would likely make-up for the bit of extra population), while four is pushing it but wouldn't cause major concerns so long as it wasn't a common thing - it's when we get into the raw absurdities, 6-10 kids per family, and those absurdities become trends, that the real problem starts rearing it's head. I mean, I think you'd probably agree that having 6 to 10 children is ludicrous? :P 

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Were are on completely the

Were are on completely the same page Kevin. I would like any potential children of mine to have a sibling to grow up with, but one will suffice, any more is just an added bonus. My two older brothers are considerably older than me (9 and 12 years respectively), and it is my 2 year older sister that I consider my childhood partner-in-crime as it were. We were often like cat and dog, at eachothers throats, but that's part of the experience I would like for my kids. To learn that life is also about conflict, and more importantly, conflict resolution. It's not just for the sake of them having a friend in eachother, it's also to have a rival in eachother. I think it is character building.

Again, like my friend, who is an only child, I don't say that it is always harmful to be an only child, and so, I would equally say, that I don't think it is automatically harmful to be one of a big group of siblings. A personal favorite of mine, Stephen Colbert, for example, is the youngest of 11, and he seems like he's turned out okay.

However, I don't think it is very constructive, on average, to be one of 8, 10 or 12 children. It has it's own problems, I'm sure. Being overlooked, and neglected, for example.

And considering the subject at hand: over population, I think a parent-couple needs to have a mighty impressive excuse for having 6+ children, for me to accept their decission, without judging them as having made a wrong choice.

"Preacher says condoms are bad" is NOT, repeat NOT such an excuse.

<edit> oh yearh, cue the "Vagina: It's not a clown car" picture. I love that one Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This one? 

This one?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "So you see my problem,

"So you see my problem, little ones:  I can't keep you all here any longer.  God has blessed us so much I can't afford to feed you anymore.... ...me mind's made up. I've given this long and careful thought, and it has to be medical experiments for the lot of you."

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: "So you

Hambydammit wrote:

"So you see my problem, little ones:  I can't keep you all here any longer.  God has blessed us so much I can't afford to feed you anymore.... ...me mind's made up. I've given this long and careful thought, and it has to be medical experiments for the lot of you."

Bonus cool points to anyone getting this.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:
Bonus cool points to anyone getting this.
Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

And surely most everyone knows that, I mean... it's Python!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
But some people are so

But some people are so incredibly uncoll enough to have never seen Monty Python or even to not like it!

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:But some

MattShizzle wrote:

But some people are so incredibly uncoll enough to have never seen Monty Python or even to not like it!

What? Preposterous! Does the Ministry of Silly Walks know about this?

And for the OP, what the world needs is a good Romeroian zombie plague, followed by genetically engineered 15' flesh eating T-Rex/Chicken hybrids being released to eat the zombies.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, my crystal turned

Well, my crystal turned black long ago. Of course, the number of reds in this group of posters is small as well. Certainly there are no greens.

Hmmm. Carousel anyone?

Now, don't you dare run.

What I find humorous is that seemingly everyone 'knows' that we are overpopulated and starving and wasteful and [fill in the blank] yet I'm curious as to the continued behavior of this enabling of the problem to persist. Hmmmm.

Incidentally, fewer children equates to fewer people to wipe your asses whilst you are greedily hanging onto life later. Now there is humor. Watching the old lady fall down and click her LifeAlert and no one is there to dispatch the assistance that is already overworked from taking care of other elderly childless assholes.

It is so easy to consider oneself above the problem when we are young and virile; virtually unhindered by nature's limits.

We couldn't possibly be saving our energy for later in life, could we?

Are we reserving vast areas of land for wildlife that could be food?

Don't we put restrictions on food harvesters for 'conservation' purposes?

Just wondering. Here in my 'holler' of America, there are over a million deer at last count. There are thousands upon thousands of wild animals that we domesticated thousands of years ago throughout the world. We construct 'Petcos' and have aisles dedicated to animals that really could be food for other humans. We encourage people not to plant corn or soybeans to keep the price controlled. In other countries, the price of rice is not controlled and so the farmer loses his/her ass and decides: "Fuck it. I'll plant rubber trees 'cause them Amurrikans need tires for their SUV's."

So let's be real here. It isn't 'overpopulation' you're worried about. It's not too many births that are the problem. It isn't even too many deaths. According to the world factbook, the population growth rate is .883% for 2008 that's accounting for immigration. Given the life expectancy of 78.14 years(same source) then we're looking at approximately 79 years before the population of the United States is 600,000,000. If 79 years or less from now, we haven't brought birth control, family planning, and resource development to the parts of the world allegedly in need of them then whom are we to blame?

Or maybe... you don't want that? Maybe the world needs to stay just like it is with our blood diamond dog collars and Xbox5000's. Maybe we can all stay in our 20's and 30's and never get old whilst spaying and neutering other people's children at birth. Oh yes! There we go.

We'll perfect robots to make our Viagra and Nuva-rings and fuck each other senseless  until we have to go to the cardiac ward for life support because WE are the precious ones. WE are the chosen to live the only life knowable. The future is hopeless. It is up to us to live for ourselves and our posterity can fuck off as soon as they change the glucose IV and turn our sheets for the night.

It is THEY who are the problem. Those fucking breeders. It is THEY who are taking away all the good things in MY life. I don't want to hear your whelps squawling because they are hungry; I can't concentrate on diddling the widow next door's wrinkled flappy genitalia if your children... oh I forgot. Damned Alzheimer's is acting up. She finally died last week. I'll miss her epileptic hand jobs.

Those fucking tv shows. If I have to watch that crotchety old Brooke Burke dance the marimba again with that 40-something boy why I'll just snap. I sure do wish there was some youngsters to watch dance. Viagra only goes so far when you're banging a 70 year old.

Just can't get decent service anymore. The crotchety old fuckers at the taco bell take forever to stuff and wrap a mild bean burrito. Why I remember how I used to make a ten-pack in under a minute. Now the 50 somethings can't even get 2 done in ten minutes.

[/aimless rant]

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:[/aimless

darth_josh wrote:

[/aimless rant]

So, Josh....Does this mean that you are for or against zombies and giant flesh eating chickens?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Josh, is it just that the

Josh, is it just that the numbers are too big for you to intuit or something? 6 and a half billion. If you 'don't believe' that the human population has experienced an exponent in population growth over the past few centuries, I guess that's your business; the numbers stand for themselves.

Do you actually have an argument against the notion that a few billion large mammals (the average human weighing-in at well over 100 lbs) are going to be unable to sustain such a large population over time? Are you aware of a solution to the problem of having to feed a few billion mouths every day of every year that the rest of the world is ignorant of?

There used to be wild bison, mammoths and all other manner of megafauna throughout North America. You'll perhaps want to note that it wasn't terrible difficult for us to very quickly wipe them all out.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Dogmatikon

Nikolaj wrote:

Dogmatikon wrote:
One could effect the slaughter of most of mankind...
wouw wouw wouw! Who said anything about killing people? Why would you presume that anyone would consider that ethical, let alone desirable?

Urging people to kill off eachother, and urging people to not bring to many new people into the world are very very different propositions indeed.

You the man Nikolaj, Thanks for keepin' it real. I never endorsed the killing of anyone, although there are some I would... I am a fan of birth control. Could you imagine if the whole world could agree to have only one kid per pair of parents? The population would drop by half in a few generations. And it would do so with out murder. People do get old and die...

Instead you have idiots that want 12 fucking kids. Can you imagine where this would lead? If their 12 fucking kids have 12 fucking kids each that's 144 fucking kids. So the population increases from 2 fucking kids to 144 fucking kids in 2 generations. You don't have to be a math whiz to see a problem with that thinking. I know it's not quite that bad, but it would be if certain people had their way.

We need to get this thing under control before it gets us under control. I don't really understand why it's so hard to have only 1 kid. You can still have all the sex you want. You just have to be more careful about it. Hell, in some ways you can be less careful. If you get your shit tied up you don't have to worry about it at all. Just watch out for diseases.

I put all those "fucking kids" in there just for you Shizzle.

I tried to respond last night, but a winter storm killed my intertubes. I fucking hate Michigan... I missed out on the cool points. Now I have to be uncool.

MySpace

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wrote it before and I

I wrote it before and I write it again. Does anyone have the guts to face it, instead of pondering an ineffective and immoral plans? It's a major obstacle and also a major chance, it's a doorway, said shortly.
All the plans for birth control and education are very nice, but there is absolutely no way how to enforce them. There must be taken a steps to make it possible.
I mean the alleviation of extreme poverty, a peaceful cooperation of all states (for this and more goals), sharing of resources to make the global life standard more balanced, use the resources wasted on commercialism and wars for a humanitary help instead, and this all must be backed up by a global educational campaign.

No education and birth control can be brought to dozens of the poor states without this stabilizing of a situation. No succesful contact with the governments and the citizens can be made. All such attempts would be refused. It is ludicrous that a people in crowded cities with huge and full supermarkets talks about starvation and birth control! We are those, who owes to Africa, South America, or middle East! Nobody there will listen to the rich oppressors, heathens, and white devils. We must first change ourselves thoroughly, make the peace with them, stop destroying them, and earn their trust. This is not a charity, it's justice. No more we can live in isolated empires, misusing a weaker states across the world. Where do you think a content of all the supermarkets comes from? A transformation of our culture can provide far more resources than a death of theirs. It is our own door-sill, where we must start the work.

Remember, all the dreadness of Malthusian model comes from a basis, that humanity acts not more intelligently than a bacteria colony. To start behaving in more intelligent, organized way we must unite, and we can only unite in peace, brotherhood and approximate equality or a collective effort towards it, not and never under any form of oppression. Only a sovereign, individual states can unite together, as the idea of unity says, there must not be any form of dependence, oppression, or involuntary (non-)membership.

Congratulations Nikolaj, we need more of people like you. A holiday spent at Sudan or Nigeria for the local participants on discussion should do the job. Some people just can't imagine it, and so they talk crap.

Furthermore, one important technical detail. While a modesty at own needs, sparing the environment and so on is important and necessary, there are even more important things to do. It is getting organized and also appealing to political authorities. While you control just a few thousands of dollars, they control trillions.