Anarchy in Greece

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anarchy in Greece

The other end of the spectrum apart from passive submissiveness apparently isn't so wonderful either.

A boy was shot and killed, allegedly in self-defense, by two policemen. Apparently the appropriate course of action in Greece is to march through the streets tossing firebombs and burning-down buildings.

*Sigh*

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was not in self defence,

It was not in self defence, the witnesies all say the same thing: the kids threw a bottle at the passing police car, the cops stopped and started insulting the kids, Then the cops moved, parked the car, went back to the kids and started to insult them again, and after a minute or two, one of the cops aimed, shot the kid and walked away like nothing happened. There's even a video , although it isn't of good quality, it shows that there was no fighting.

Also, The people are enraged because similar things have have hapened in the past and went unpunished.

Every month there is a new scandal involving the goverment, and no one is getting punished. The people are just now realizing how corrupt the goverment  is, how corrupt the police force is, that a cop can beat and kill someone without punishment.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
What the hell were police

What the hell were police carrying live ammunition in a riot, rubber bullets?

I hate to think what would happen if British police started carrying guns in a riot

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
To my knowledge, to police

To my knowledge, to police weren't carrying guns. And thank-you for the correction; I wasn't sure if the alleged version of the original story was true or not.

Still: What does burning down stores and parked vehicles accomplish, pray tell?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:To my

Kevin R Brown wrote:

To my knowledge, to police weren't carrying guns. And thank-you for the correction; I wasn't sure if the alleged version of the original story was true or not.

Still: What does burning down stores and parked vehicles accomplish, pray tell?

It only serves to vent frustration. People can't attack the police like they want to, so instead they harm whatever they can. This has happened in Paris and Seattle (people were pissed at the government, so they vandalized and burned other peoples' properties). It is wrong to vent your anger on other people's things, but angry mobs tend to not do the right thing.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's really what

It's really what Jormungander said, the people are frustrated with the police and the goverment and vent. But, there are also cops and people of new democracy, that destroy private property in order to vilify the protesters.