Possessed by Satan or God - You decide

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Possessed by Satan or God - You decide

A high school girl came to school earlier this week in Mississippi supposedly speaking in tongues as well as predicting doom and evil for her classmates.

See Here.

The brilliant school authorities hooked her up with the school counselors and a youth pastor. Sounds to me like she needs a psych ward. 

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yep, sounds psychotic. Or

Yep, sounds psychotic. Or maybe looking for attention.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Phfft. Kids pull this sort

Phfft. Kids pull this sort of crap all the time. It's just boundary testing and  attention getting - the only reason this is newsworthy is the school and community is freaking out over the religious aspect of it.

Sadly the counselors and the youth pastor will not be trained on how to redirect this behavior into something more useful to the girl (and less freaky for those around her). She needs a real therapist - better yet a real psychologist. Three one-hour sessions a week for about two months I'd bet, if the parents are willing to get involved. Which in this case I doubt will happen, if momma is already excusing the behavior as "god's work".

Meh.

Religion. What a cluster-fuck.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe she'll start a new

Maybe she'll start a new religion.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Phfft. Kids

JillSwift wrote:
Phfft. Kids pull this sort of crap all the time. It's just boundary testing and attention getting - the only reason this is newsworthy is the school and community is freaking out over the religious aspect of it.

Actually, I thought it was rather ironic.  If the kid WASN'T speaking in tongues while mentioning the death of fellow students, or was talking in occultish ways rather than in tongues then the kid would be in gaol faster than you can say whodiddonewhatnow.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Actually, I

thingy wrote:
Actually, I thought it was rather ironic.  If the kid WASN'T speaking in tongues while mentioning the death of fellow students, or was talking in occultish ways rather than in tongues then the kid would be in gaol faster than you can say whodiddonewhatnow.
Maybe, depends on the area I guess. Still it's a perfectly explainable behavior so common as to not be worthy of note, save for this religious silliness.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:"If it was a demon, I

Quote:
"If it was a demon, I would have tore that school up. I would have thrown desks and everything. I didn't say no cuss words at all."

Two words:

Boundary testing.

So, here we have clear cut case of a child trying to poke at social norms and test authority (positive notions, IMHO - even if in this instance the activities themselves were destructive)... and the response is to fuck that child up with whatever the Hell bogus stunts / reinforcement / 'couselling' the youth pastor is going to do?

Man. We are so damn good at ensuring our future will be miserable.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
"If it was a demon, I would have tore that school up. I would have thrown desks and everything. I didn't say no cuss words at all."

Two words:

Boundary testing.

I just said that! Sticking out tongue Eye-wink

Kevin R Brown wrote:
So, here we have clear cut case of a child trying to poke at social norms and test authority (positive notions, IMHO - even if in this instance the activities themselves were destructive)... and the response is to fuck that child up with whatever the Hell bogus stunts / reinforcement / 'couselling' the youth pastor is going to do?

Man. We are so damn good at ensuring our future will be miserable.

The idea that "normal" is the goal for mental health is disgustingly pervasive. The goals should be to provide the patient with an improved working knowledge of how human social behavior works and where they fit into that tapestry, and to tackle any specific issues the patient has in relation to that knowledge. These "extreme" behaviors such as the girl in the story displays will ebb in favor of more useful behaviors in that context.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I just said

Quote:
I just said that!

Hm. Really?

I don't seem to recall you saying that, and I don't see it in your post anywhere...

Jill, Jill, Jill. You must be mistaken. Eye-wink

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
She needs to see a doctor,

She needs to see a doctor, specifically a psychiatrist.  Speaking in neologisms is a specific medical phenomenon and one that they have pills for.  Sadly, because the mother is gripped with a god delusion, the girl will probably not recieve treatment for her early stage schizophrenia and a future life of misery and dependance on disability benefits is in her probable future.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Quote:I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
I just said that!

Hm. Really?

I don't seem to recall you saying that, and I don't see it in your post anywhere...

Jill, Jill, Jill. You must be mistaken. Eye-wink

Hahahaha! Yer a booger, mister moderator guy!

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
One would think that

One would think that (theoretically) the 2 most powerful entities in existence would have more important things to do than get inside a 16yr old girl...

... hehehe

What Would Kharn Do?