Roger Ebert and one of the better dismissals of "Creationism" and "Intelligent Design"

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roger Ebert and one of the better dismissals of "Creationism" and "Intelligent Design"

Quote:

Win Ben Stein's mind

By Roger Ebert
December 3, 2008 12:25 AM

I've been accused of refusing to review Ben Stein's documentary "Expelled," a defense of Creationism, because of my belief in the theory of evolution. Here is my response.

Ben Stein, you hosted a TV show on which you gave away money. Imagine that I have created a special edition of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" just for you. Ben, you've answered all the earlier questions correctly, and now you're up for the $1 million prize. It involves an explanation for the evolution of life on this planet. You have already exercised your option to throw away two of the wrong answers. Now you are faced with two choices: (A) Darwin's Theory of Evolution, or (B) Intelligent Design.

Because this is a special edition of the program, you can use a Hotline to telephone every scientist on Earth who has an opinion on this question. You discover that 99.975 of them agree on the answer (A). A million bucks hangs in the balance. The clock is ticking. You could use the money. Which do you choose? You, a firm believer in the Constitution, are not intimidated and exercise your freedom of speech. You choose (B).

Squaaawk!!! The klaxon horn sounds. You have lost. Outraged, you file suit against the program, charging it is biased and has denied a hearing for your belief. Your suit argues that the "correct" answer was chosen because of a prejudice against the theory of Intelligent Design, despite the fact that .025 of one percent of all scientists support it. You call for (B) to be discussed in schools as an alternative theory to (A).

Your rights have been violated. You're at wit's end. You think perhaps the field of Indie Documentaries offers you hope. You accept a position at the Institute of Undocumented Documentaries in Dallas, Texas. This Institute teaches that the rules of the "$64,000 Question" are the only valid game show rules. All later game shows must follow them literally. The "$64,000 Question" came into existence in 1955. False evidence for earlier game shows has been refuted by scientists at the Institute.

Read the rest here.

I think his last two sentences sum it up beautifully.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well done

That was actually a good critique of the movie and the ideas presented in the movie. More well thought out critiques should be done like this in regards to ID/creationist proposals to have these idea taught as facts in schools.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
After reading this, I have a

After reading this, I have a newfound respect for Mr. Ebert. I hope that Stein appreciates the, ummm, review as much as I did.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ebert wrote:The more you

Ebert wrote:
The more you know about evolution, or simple logic, the more you are likely to be appalled by the film. No one with an ability for critical thinking could watch more than three minutes without becoming aware of its tactics. It isn't even subtle.

That was an amazing review.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was great  Thanks!

That was great

Thanks!

probabilityzero
probabilityzero's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was an excellent

That was an excellent article. I didn't even know Roger Ebert had a blog.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brilliant! I agree about the

Brilliant! I agree about the last two lines.