What is it with Theists and 'Truth'?

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is it with Theists and 'Truth'?

Particularly with finding it and hoping others find it. Is there some verse in any of the religious books about that word? Also, why does it always seem to be capitalized? Things like that are starting to get on my nerves. Just lots of little things I constantly hear and see. Why do they change the font to something that isn't the norm?

Meh.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
To quote Innigo Montoya in

To quote Innigo Montoya in the movie The Princess Bride ... you keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rule of thumb, Truth (capitalised) is the exact opposite of truth.  It's just another bastardisation by theists to change the meaning of a word or history of events just like evolution (when uttered by a creationist/IDist/whatever they're calling themselves now) is everything but what actual evolution entails and America being founded on christianity.  If they redefine and repeat it enough, it makes it true.  Or should that be True?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Translated from the theist:

Translated from the theist: "Truth" with a capital T means "A paradigm I've accepted that allows me to stop asking questions while feeling superior to those who aren't so quick to accept make-believe as reality".

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I saw a parody once that not

I saw a parody once that not only had it capitalized it had a copyright sybol on it.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I saw a

MattShizzle wrote:
I saw a parody once that not only had it capitalized it had a copyright sybol on it.
That was no parody, that was Scientology. </rimshot> Eye-wink Laughing out loud

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:MattShizzle

JillSwift wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I thought Scientology was a parody. Like the Church of the Subgenius. I mean, they can't be serious.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Remember when South Park did

Remember when South Park did "This is what _____s" actually believe as a short part in some episodes (Mormons, Scientologist, and the made up cult Chef joined in his last episode? ) They ought to do one like that on Christians and pick the most idiotic stuff from the Buybull.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:JillSwift

nigelTheBold wrote:
JillSwift wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

I thought Scientology was a parody. Like the Church of the Subgenius. I mean, they can't be serious.
Shh! They'll do an PTS rundown on you!

As a certified "supressive person", I must say they sure seem awfully serious. But, could be a Poe. Hard to say anymore.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:nigelTheBold

JillSwift wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
JillSwift wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

Shh! They'll do an PTS rundown on you!

As a certified "supressive person", I must say they sure seem awfully serious. But, could be a Poe. Hard to say anymore.

they send you a certificate for being an SP? I want one! Smiling

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Particularly with finding it and hoping others find it. Is there some verse in any of the religious books about that word? Also, why does it always seem to be capitalized? Things like that are starting to get on my nerves. Just lots of little things I constantly hear and see. Why do they change the font to something that isn't the norm?

Meh.

Actually, this peculiar behavior can be observed in many types of developmentally challenged individuals, not just theists. My personal theory on unorthodox capitalization techniques stipulates that emotionally vulnerable persons debating on the Internet will, upon having their pathetic arguments repeatedly terminated, in colloquial terms, "lose their cool." To reduce stress, these individuals will react with forceful physical maneuvers, often bringing their fists down with high velocity, making contact with their keyboard. Undoubtedly, the fists beings discussed will typically land in the most convenient locations available, which, coincidentally, and this can be verified with a quick, two-second experiment, are the normal positions of the two "shift" keys on the keyboard. Inevitable, after countless collisions, the "shift" keys will become defective and activate at random intervals to produce upper-case letters in awkward locations.   

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I saw a

MattShizzle wrote:

Truth© or Truth™?

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Meh.

How would they know what truth is? What is truth? asked the doubting Pilate and turned before he could receive an answer. As there was no answer they can't know.

Truth, like terrorism, is an abstract noun. If we can make war on an abstract noun we can love an abstract noun unless it is too true of course. Believers confuse abstract and concrete nouns. So you can have fun with them by asking the difference between a true truth and a false truth. You can keep a believer chasing his tail for hours with that one. Every so often they catch their tail which is a reward unto itself.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think it was the "tm" one.

I think it was the "tm" one.