Utah lawmaker proposes resolution to embrace Christmas

Sarah247
Sarah247's picture
User is offlineOffline
Utah lawmaker proposes resolution to embrace Christmas

Now, most of the time I could care less whether you tell me Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas or Happy Shove-It-Up-Your-Ass Day. I don't care. Yesterday, I was watching the local news and this story came on (which I am going to post below). My issue isn't with the "Merry Christmas" part of things, but with the part that says everyone should say Merry Christmas because this is a "Christian Nation."

Now, Senator Butters is a moron, so I doubt this will pass... but it's just another example of how every damn year, some Christians resurrect their stupid pretend Christ and parade him around for everyone else to swallow. (Admittedly, I'm cynical)

Onto the story:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - State Sen. Chris Buttars is sponsoring a resolution asking the Legislature to declare its opposition to what he calls the war on Christmas.

Buttars, R-West Jordan, wants retailers to embrace Christmas in their promotions, saying the United States is a Christian nation and ought to use the holiday's name.

Buttars says several fellow lawmakers support his effort, though he wouldn't name them.

The resolution is still being drafted.

One local advertising executive, Dave Newbold, says no one should force their beliefs on others. And Jim Olsen, president of the Utah Retail Merchants Association, says it would be difficult for retailers to stick to using just Christmas if they are part of national promotions that don't use the name of the holiday.

- Sarah

"I’m a polyatheist - there are many gods I don’t believe in." - Dan Fouts

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What a dillhole. By the way

What a dillhole. By the way Shove-It-Up-Your-Ass-Day is September 25th not December 25. If August 4th wasn't recently made "Pimp Day" it would have been in August due to a lack of August holidays.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Sarah247
Sarah247's picture
User is offlineOffline
August really does have a

August really does have a lack of holidays. I think "Pimp Day" should brighten that area of the year up a bit. How does one celebrate "Pimp Day" properly?

- Sarah

"I’m a polyatheist - there are many gods I don’t believe in." - Dan Fouts

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Dress up as a pimp or a hoe.

Dress up as a pimp or a hoe. Talk like a pimp: ie when cashing a check hand it to the teller and say "give me my motherfucking money, bitch!" Have a pimp & hoe party. Slap people that piss you off. It is August 4th because that was Iceberg Slim's birthday.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is it with Christians

What is it with Christians in America and Christmas?  I'm surprised no one has footed legistlation trying to make it Christmas all year the way they get crazy over the bloody day.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The fundies either get rabid

The fundies either get rabid over anyone DARING to celebrate a different holiday or dislike Christmas themselves if they realize it's originally a pagan holiday.

BTW why didn't Christians ever hijack the Summer Solstice or Autumnal Equinox to make their own jesus shit for a holiday? They could have made Sep 22 the day Jesus withered the fig tree or June 20 the day he was baptized - hell make one of them the first day he ever jerked off or whatever.

**Edit: On Jesus-Whack-Off Day all Christian men are supposed to masturbate at least 3 times. Christian women should have sex with at least 3 different non-Christian men that day. Note this is a good day for horny single atheist men to go to a bar.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let us make it clear to the

Let us make it clear to the fundy fearmongers who think we are utopian fascists out to use government to silence you. STOP YOUR CHILDISH BEHAIVOR.

There is a war, not on Christimas, we could care less what you call it. The war is on government favoritism which the First Amendment strictly forbids. What you do on your own time is your business, but the government IS OURS. It is not an atheist government, but it is not a Jewish government or Muslim government, IT IS OUR GOVERNMENT.

Our Constitution is not a sanctuary for the majority or minority. Our Consitution which our goverment is to follow is to be neither for or against, simply neutral, like OUR Amerian flag.

IF our government were to be solely run by Christians then please explain to me why we have a Muslim, Jew and ATHEIST in our congress? IF the founders solely intended on Christians holding office, then it would have made sense that they would have been specific in the Constitution in naming Christianity and or Jesus. THEY DID NOT

THAT ommission was not a mistake or oversight. They were for freedom of religion. But Christians seem to take that as license to a monopoly as to what it means to be an American where all others are mere guests, even if born in this country.

CHRISTIANS HAVE NO RIGHT TO A MONOPOLY ON ANY OF OUR SYMBOLS NOR SHOULD OUR GOVERNMENT FAVOR THEM OVER ALL OTHERS.

Celebrate the holiday how you see fit, we are fine with that, but do it on your own time with your own resources, that is all we ask. Neutral is not a ban, it is simply asking government to not take sides on that personal issue that should be left up to the individual.

The Constitution is not owned by any religion or the non-religious, it is there for use of all citizens, not just Christians.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog