Its Christmas TIME!!!

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
Its Christmas TIME!!!

Hello guys I have read this forum for quite some time now and I think with Christmas coming up I would love to see a bunch of rational responders going out and doing some pro-active atheism. I am sure that many on this board are going to argue with that for one reason or another but honestly I just think that when people on this board are pushing buttons it makes this site more interesting, gets more traffic and more crazy Christians for some of the boards heavyweights to put in their place. I don’t know what your opinion on this is but I think it would be fun if we had atheists all across the country leaving atheism brochures at bus stops, train stations or grocery stores; basically anywhere where Christians tend to leave their propaganda. I remember when I was down in Atlantic City apparently some Christians printed out a piece of paper that looked like a folded up $5 bill but when I picked it up it was some religious propaganda. I think if we did that type of stuff it would be pretty cool or other ideas like go to a church and place an atheism brochure in the song books on the page where 'Joy to the World' is or 'Come all ye faithful' or you could move some bibles to the fiction area of the bookstore, moving some Richard Dawkins stuff to the Christian section of the bookstore there are tons of different things that could be done and I think it would be a fun.

I am just throwing this out there, if anybody is interested and has some skills it would be neat if they created some atheism brochures that were downloadable. If you guys aren’t interested I think I am going to try a little bit of it out myself but as they say the more the merrier.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I picked up a $100 bill at a

I picked up a $100 bill at a grocery store that had a bunch of Jesus crap on the back.

A lot of local groups do tabling, etc. and pass out literature.  Where do you live?

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
I live in Philadelphia and i

I live in Philadelphia and i havent seen a single Athiest thing out there... but on the subway/bus and everywhere in between i see a bunch of christian stuff. The Witnesses are always out in force every single day they can be found at 69th street terminal about 6 or 7 of them standing there with the Watchtower in their hand... i was actually wondering if they got paid for that stuff. I also once saw scientologists there testing for metaclorians or whatever they do. Yeah but anyhow i just want to see more proactive stuff, i am going to do it on my own but it would make my day to see some stuff from other people or even for it getting some press. I know there are alot of people from in around philadelphia that are RR guys.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I picked up what  I

I picked up what  I thought was a bookmark with interesting trivia questions.  I'm a sucker for things like that.  Questions 1-8 were pretty easy, but reasonable enough for a bookmark.  Then, questions 9 and 10 were something like, 'What happens to sinners when they die?'  and 'How do you know your soul will be safe when you die?'

It's almost funny how theists pull the bait and switch.  "Come to church this sunday for a MONSTER TRUCK RALLY and prayer meeting."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I picked

Hambydammit wrote:

I picked up what  I thought was a bookmark with interesting trivia questions.  I'm a sucker for things like that.  Questions 1-8 were pretty easy, but reasonable enough for a bookmark.  Then, questions 9 and 10 were something like, 'What happens to sinners when they die?'  and 'How do you know your soul will be safe when you die?'

It's almost funny how theists pull the bait and switch.  "Come to church this sunday for a MONSTER TRUCK RALLY and prayer meeting."

So why arent we doing the same thing? i mean i think it would be pretty funny and it is sure to get some more traffic here...

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I organize a social atheist

I organize a social atheist group and we have pretty good turnouts - we've had up to 60 at a happy hour and our winter solstice party has a waiting list going a month before the event (12/13) so it's possible... sleepy, if a group in your area doesn't do this perhaps you could start one.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I picked

Hambydammit wrote:
I picked up what  I thought was a bookmark with interesting trivia questions.  I'm a sucker for things like that.  Questions 1-8 were pretty easy, but reasonable enough for a bookmark.  Then, questions 9 and 10 were something like, 'What happens to sinners when they die?'  and 'How do you know your soul will be safe when you die?'

Questions 9 and 10 sound pretty easy to me as well.

9.  Nothing.

10.  Because.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:It's

Hambydammit wrote:

Show of hands... whos mind instantly lept to the thought of Gravedigger trying to drive over the church

What Would Kharn Do?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
absurd

Jeffrick the atheist is scheduled to play Santa Claus at a Hindhu Mandir (temple) in Cummings Lodge Guyana on December 6 this year. is that radicaly atheistic  enough for you?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

spin
spin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy Norris wrote:So why

Sleepy Norris wrote:

So why arent we doing the same thing? i mean i think it would be pretty funny and it is sure to get some more traffic here...

Short answer: it's intellectually dishonest. Let them compromise their moral values.

spin

Trust the evidence, Luke

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
spin wrote:Sleepy Norris

spin wrote:

Sleepy Norris wrote:

Short answer: it's intellectually dishonest. Let them compromise their moral values.

spin

Your short answer is the wrong answer, IMHO. RRS wasn't formed to sit back in complacency and smugness. It was formed to get out there and be in people's faces, to raise consciousness about religious and theistic dangers.

I'm with Sleepy Norris on this one. I've noticed a decline in activity here, not just in our own activism, but in the number of people visiting, the number of theists who come at us, etc. The Alexa trend for the last six months is not looking good.

Personally, I got caught up in the Obama thing, and that took up a lot of my attention. Now that he's in, and I've had a month to let it sink in, I'm looking back at our activism and seeing that it's been neglected. We need to shake things up.

Now, I know that for a lot of you, myself included, the economy and work has caused us to tighten our belts. I can't put as much time or money into activism as I'd like. Frankly, I'm broke. I have to work. And I know the RRS core team has to work too. Unfortunately, there's not much money in atheist activism.

So maybe we just need to do some simple low-cost things to keep our gears from getting rusty. We should not be sitting here complacently waiting for something to happen.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:spin

natural wrote:

spin wrote:

Sleepy Norris wrote:

spin

Your short answer is the wrong answer, IMHO. RRS wasn't formed to sit back in complacency and smugness. It was formed to get out there and be in people's faces, to raise consciousness about religious and theistic dangers.

I'm with Sleepy Norris on this one. I've noticed a decline in activity here, not just in our own activism, but in the number of people visiting, the number of theists who come at us, etc. The Alexa trend for the last six months is not looking good.

Personally, I got caught up in the Obama thing, and that took up a lot of my attention. Now that he's in, and I've had a month to let it sink in, I'm looking back at our activism and seeing that it's been neglected. We need to shake things up.

Now, I know that for a lot of you, myself included, the economy and work has caused us to tighten our belts. I can't put as much time or money into activism as I'd like. Frankly, I'm broke. I have to work. And I know the RRS core team has to work too. Unfortunately, there's not much money in atheist activism.

So maybe we just need to do some simple low-cost things to keep our gears from getting rusty. We should not be sitting here complacently waiting for something to happen.

This is what i am thinking and ive decided that i am going to do my little part. Honestly though... it would be more fun if i knew people were out there maybe we could start a thread that talks about our little activist missions

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How about this? Christmenos

How about this? Christmenos - Xmas minus the Jesus Bullshit.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: How about

MattShizzle wrote:

How about this? Christmenos - Xmas minus the Jesus Bullshit.

Hehehe, I likes.

Though, I prefer Squidmas.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray