God/Prime Mover is necessary

desertwolf9
Theist
desertwolf9's picture
User is offlineOffline
God/Prime Mover is necessary

Take a look at the universe. It's a series of cause & effect reactions. However, there can't be an infinite series of causers. That is impossible. There HAS to be a prime mover, and that mover is god or anything analogous to such. Saying that there are no beginnings is ridiculous IMO, all one has to to do is follow them back.

Some of you might say " but why assume that there must be a beginning when we have yet to encounter it?"

Because it's illogical - just because we haven't encountered it doesn't make it not so. You simply have to decide whether you want to rely on logic, or data.

Hence, because of the necessity of a prime mover, there must be a god. Therefore, isn't it more reasonable to believe in god than to not to?

Suffice it to say that I believe there must some kind of first principle, unmoved mover, uncaused cause, what have you, whether it be the universe or something else.

Thoughts?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Eloise

BobSpence1 wrote:

Eloise wrote:

desertwolf9 wrote:

Take a look at the universe. It's a series of cause & effect reactions.

Moot premise. That is not what the universe is. That is merely a proposition fitting observations of a teensy fragment of the universe from an incredibly limited scope.. try again.

The case is even weaker than that. There are many things we see happening where we do not see the 'cause'. We do research and hope to find out what factors triggered the event, of course, but it is manifestly untrue that all we see are cause-effect chains.

When you're a theist, though, you see god as the ultimate cause. So the universe as a serius of cause-effect relationships isn't hard for them to grasp.

It's completely wrong - but it's not hard for them to grasp.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin