All right, so who else is totally geeking out over Watchmen?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
All right, so who else is totally geeking out over Watchmen?

I hate to admit it.  I really do.

But the first trailer with dialogue from multiple characters fronted Quantum of Solace this weekend and is online now.  I can understand how the uninitiated couldn't care less, and I know that it's hardly Dostoevsky, but I'm utterly convinced that this thing's going to be done really well.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
sorry, but all my geekism

sorry, but all my geekism has been over wrath of the lich king and thus i have no clue what it is you are talking about.
*races to youtube to find out more*

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Excellent! *rubs hands

Excellent! *rubs hands slowly together* My geek-dar is at the max now...LOL! This really looks good! I may actually go and see it in theaters, the last movie i saw in theaters was LOTR's ROTK sooo...

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have been waiting for this

I have been waiting for this movie for 20 years. It will either make me very, very happy or displease me very, very much. I don't wanna have to make frowny-eyes at the writers and director and actors and the key grip.

From the looks of the two trailers, it's going to be good. 300 kinda sucked, but I really can't blame the movie for that. The graphic novel just didn't translate well to film. I think this one will, what with the stronger characters and film noir feel.

At least, that's my hope.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Joy!

The instant I heard the phrase "The world will look up and shout save us, and I will whisper...no!" I starting bouncing around with excitement.  Must.  See.  Film.

I'm also encourged by the fact that they're translating the whole book, including all the Tales of the Black Freighter.  It won't be included in the actual release of the film to make it more palatable to a mainstream audience but will be available to watch as a whole on special edition DVD.  Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22088

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a displaced Texan, now

As a displaced Texan, now residing  on the tundra of the Arctic circle, I don't exactly get many opportunities to catch movie trailers at the theater. I heard that they were turning the Watchmen into a movie though, and hope to buy it after it is released to video. The way the mail runs here, I'll be watching it about 5 months after it's release to video.

Loved the comic, right up there with Flaming Carrot, Those Annoying Post Brothers, and Knights of the Dinner Table.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Comes back from youtube

Comes back from youtube asking what's the big telling deal ?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Comes

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Comes back from youtube asking what's the big telling deal ?

Best.
Graphic novel.
Ever.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I hear the squid ending is

I hear the squid ending is out. This displeases me.

Also very much hoping they included Dr Manhattan's conversation with Ozy near the end : "Humans are interesting. I might create some".(or something along those lines)

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm inclined to agree, but

I'm inclined to agree, but Gaiman's The Sandman is an undeniable contender.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
     Umm, beats Hemingway

Umm, beats Hemingway ??? ... geezz I feel really old sometimes ... but I like it.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Shaitian wrote:sorry, but

Shaitian wrote:

sorry, but all my geekism has been over wrath of the lich king and thus i have no clue what it is you are talking about.
*races to youtube to find out more*

You, too, eh? Although, I must confess that I'm sad that I have yet another character to grind through outlands now that I have my death knight. *sigh*

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:I hear the

Anonymouse wrote:
I hear the squid ending is out. This displeases me. Also very much hoping they included Dr Manhattan's conversation with Ozy near the end : "Humans are interesting. I might create some".(or something along those lines)

The Squid thing...eh.

There are things I like about the squid (the Lovecraftian influence, particularly) but honestly, it always seemed to me that someone as smart as (can't say his name, for the sake of the uninitiated) could have found a better way to accomplish his plan than the squid.  For one thing, there's no way to stop the government from cutting it open and figuring out where it really came from.  Furthermore, you can cut out lots of little scenes that don't feature the main players if you cut out the squid.

I'd like to have the squid.  I really would, but you'd really need a miniseries to do the squid justice.  I'm sure that whatever the master plan is, it'll be equally brilliant, if a little less Alan Moore than a giant squid monster.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
... does this film reek of B

... does this film reek of B Action superheros or is it just me?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:...

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Carla Gugino. Maybe 'B' action, but Grade 'A' otherwise.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:The Doomed

darth_josh wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Carla Gugino. Maybe 'B' action, but Grade 'A' otherwise.

Carla Gugino's at least a C if not a D.  If you haven't seen Sin City it's worth watching for her naked perfection.  (See what I did there?  I made it about boobs.)

And to the Doomed Soul...yes.  Yes it does.  The story is actually about a bunch of retired B grade superheroes and the struggles with inadequacy in real life that led them to put on tights and prance around fighting crime.  Don't write it off on appearances--I think it'd be right up your alley, actually.

--Bertrand Russell

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:And to

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

And to the Doomed Soul...yes.  Yes it does.  The story is actually about a bunch of retired B grade superheroes and the struggles with inadequacy in real life that led them to put on tights and prance around fighting crime.  Don't write it off on appearances--I think it'd be right up your alley, actually.

That all depends on the super villians now doesent it?

If the superheroes are the ones with inadequacy problems... >.> cant imagine what my precious villians are gonna be like

What Would Kharn Do?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, you don't really need

Well, you don't really need villains in Watchmen, TDS.  The heroes are fucked up and irresponsibly violent enough.  Trust me--lots and lots and lots and lots of dead people.  And they don't die peaceful-like.

--Bertrand Russell

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Well, you

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Well, you don't really need villains in Watchmen, TDS.  The heroes are fucked up and irresponsibly violent enough.  Trust me--lots and lots and lots and lots of dead people.  And they don't die peaceful-like.

Ooooh so its a movie about really really terrible superheros who end up killing alot of people... ie. Villans

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, Doomed. The graphic

No, Doomed.

The graphic novel was a contemporary examination of the Cold War, and how humanity narrowly avoided annihilation at the cost of become less humane; mixed-in with that was also a deconstruction of the 'superhero' stereotype (The Watchmen was among the first really successful comics to do this), toying with an alternate history where such men & women might unbalance political scales.

The books were also heavily laced with motifs that were worth the price of admission alone.

So, yes, Doomed - you'll get to see a really high body count. If that's the only thing you take away from the movie, though, then the director didn't do his damn job. Sticking out tongue

EDIT: To answer the OP - well, I can't say I'm really 'geeking out' over it. I'm not old enough too. Sticking out tongue Batman was my contemporary example of superhero deconstruction, while the Cold War I've explored via Cold City.

But, yeah. I'm pumped for it. It's The Watchmen, man!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

EDIT: To answer the OP - well, I can't say I'm really 'geeking out' over it. I'm not old enough too. Sticking out tongue Batman was my contemporary example of superhero deconstruction, while the Cold War I've explored via Cold City.

But, yeah. I'm pumped for it. It's The Watchmen, man!

How old are you, Kevin?  I was under the impression that we were pretty close in age.  I'm 28, so I couldn't read Watchmen when it came out, either, but the Cold War was constantly on my mind as a kid because I was afraid of getting nuked.  Then again, that may be an American thing. 

--Bertrand Russell

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
23. So, no - not that

23. So, no - not that distant, but certainly distant enough that the Cold War wasn't 'the big bad' when I was growing up.

Uh.

*Scratches head*

...Come to think of it, I don't think I really had a big bad when I was growing-up. Maybe cigarettes? Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:As a

Desdenova wrote:
As a displaced Texan, now residing  on the tundra of the Arctic circle, I don't exactly get many opportunities to catch movie trailers at the theater.

Where do you live now?

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Desdenova

KSMB wrote:

Desdenova wrote:
As a displaced Texan, now residing  on the tundra of the Arctic circle, I don't exactly get many opportunities to catch movie trailers at the theater.

Where do you live now?

Up in the Arctic circle, in an Inupiat village on the Bering Strait.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
As much as I love y'all, I

As much as I love y'all, I am more interested in the people 'geeking out' on The Watchmen.

Here is a myspace friend of mine(don't pester her unless you're a chick):

See what is in her hands?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:As much as

darth_josh wrote:

As much as I love y'all, I am more interested in the people 'geeking out' on The Watchmen.

*sigh* Hottie, demonic tattoo's, reading nerd material while nude... lesbian...

Josh, tell me she like hurting humans... please... pretty please

What Would Kharn Do?

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

*sigh* Hottie, demonic tattoo's, reading nerd material while nude... lesbian...

Josh, tell me she like hurting humans... please... pretty please

Did I mention... atheist.