Some races have innate tendencies to be superior to others, on the whole.

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some races have innate tendencies to be superior to others, on the whole.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

My thoughts on race and the statement that all races are equal. I’d love for anyone to debate me on the matter, I hope to refine my ideas.

I don't understand how it can be concluded that all races are 'created' more or less equally?

They have tended to live in relative exclusion for long enough that the particular set of genotypic frequencies for many traits tend to be unique among their own interbreeding community and must have obviously developed as a result of pressures of natural / social selection unique to their population's geographic niche and ecosystem (by which races tend to be defined over). It seems almost inevitable this would be the case. And our genetic makeup influences almost every aspect of us, clearly.

So I'd be willing to bet that the tendencies of the sets of traits of certain races make them more of an asset on the whole to modern societies than others, so on average certain races are indeed superior to one another and if it ever came to choosing, for example, between two candidates for a job, barring any other differences between their apparent skill in the field, I would be better off making an educated guess as to which candidate belonged to the race better suited for the position / functioning in modern society.

From an evolutionary standpoint, the Negroid races from Afrika have tended to fail in comparison to Caucasoids considering they have historically not created any civilizations in which the population enjoys relatively rapid growth, in comparison with empires and relatively advanced civilizations that have developed over the rest of the Earth (middle east, Europe, Asia, &c.), and therefore would be unable to successfully compete without guidance from the more civilized races.

I have also heard the arguement that with enough data, you could draw a map of the geographic trends of skin color, nose size, (as examples) or any other characteristic that people tend to associate with certain races. You'd see that different areas of the world do show different phenotypes. But you couldn't create any meaningful classification from it because the characteristics tend to fall along gradients rather than discrete categories, and the gradients of different characteristics do not coincide.

But as a rebuttal, I'd like to point out that you can't look at one trait or another an conclude that races don't exist. An organism is essentially the interaction, complex in organization, between the all the proteins transcribed by one's DNA. You must look at the races the sum of all the genes interacting, and certain races tend to have higher genotypic frequencies for particular, relatively unique sets of genes.

I will however concede that our standard definitions of races may be inadequate.

On a separate note, I believe the only reason that mixed race people seem to have a higher incidence of attractiveness is that the only time someone will step over a racial boundary is for a really hot member of another race. Your average white guy will tend not to be attracted to a black woman, for example. It tends to be engrained in our brains that people who look significantly different we tend to approach them suspiciously, rather than being attracted. This is because in the past it benefited us not to be too open to potentially rival tribes. These tendencies manifest themselves in children of mixed race couples tending to originate from two attractive individuals.

Just decided I'd post my thoughts on the matter, feel free to pick it apart guys ( just not too much Smiling ).

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
You have one post to

You have one post to convince me this isn't just veiled racism or I move this to Trollville.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Move it to trollville. 

Move it to trollville.  This dweeb is just another white supremacist asshat using a subject he has little command of to justify his pathetic little existence.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought I explained my

I thought I explained my views quite rationally, I just want people's ideas of why I might be wrong, or what they might agree upon. I don't claim to be 100% correct at all.

This is just a mess of my views on race, and I was hoping for perhaps agreement or constructive criticism.

Let me just state that all people have the ability to be productive members of society and I would not look down on anyone for any characteristic they have no control over. Rather, I would commend and honor those who rise above what is expected of them.

Then again, I do agree that this subject matter can make some people uncomfortable, in which case I apologize sincerely, this was obviously not my intention.

Thanks for your consideration and the opportunity to explain my motives and to 'clear my name'.

oh hai

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:Move it to

Bulldog wrote:

Move it to trollville.  This dweeb is just another white supremacist asshat using a subject he has little command of to justify his pathetic little existence.

Trust me. That was my initial thought, but I force myself to maintain an open mind. Give 'em enough rope and they'll either lasso you in or hang themselves.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks you for your

Thanks you for your consideration, it really is quite rational and objective of you Smiling

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two points:Firstly - 'Race'

Two points:

Firstly -

'Race' is not a well defined concept when you want to get specific.

It over-emphasises visible differences such as body and hair type and skin color, whereas for many groups that have remained relatively genetically isolated for a long period, there are typically many other gene-frequency differences which are completely invisible, but are far more significant than than the often superficial differences traditionally used to distinguish 'races'.

There has been much more inter-mixing of people from different geographic and tribal backgrounds than was traditionally believed, which makes 'ethic' differences less useful than you might think.

Secondly -

In many significant attributes such as intelligence, the variation within typical 'racial' groups is often much greater than the aaverage differences between groups.

So these days, it makes much more sense to study the correlations and contributions of different genes to individual differences.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd also like to thank

I'd also like to thank everyone for not drawing too much attention to the typos.

hehe...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I would like an actual

I would like an actual scientific study of difference between ethnic groups (White,Black, Asian, Arabic etc..) on cognition, problem solving etc... and see if there is a significant difference.

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately, I have no

Unfortunately, I have no solid proof in the form of scientific studies that differences in, say, test scores are influenced mostly by higher frequencies of certain genes among respective populations.

I can reason there must be some significant effect, and this manifests itself given enough time as a tendency for certain interbreeding populations to outperform others, but then again socioeconomic background obviously does indeed play a significant role.

In addition, I agree that it would be counter-productive in modern society to form any significant conclusions about individuals based on race alone, especially since developed societies prize individualism so much.

To any of you who may have noticed, I don't know exactly what is prefered, but I am adding more explanation to previous comments through edits instead of posting new ones because it already looks like the thread is riddled with my own posts mostly.

oh hai

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Even though it is socially

Even though it is socially and politically incorrect, I actually agree with most of the OP. While it will seem offensive to many, BeachJustice's approach on the subject is interesting and appears to be quite objective, and it would be shameful for the RRS to send it trollville without contemplating it further. The clarification of "what is a race" needs to be answered, but it doesn't hurt the main message of the OP too much. Thus, if the OP accepts that we can't form conclusions for individuals by applying the stereotypes of the group, then I'm giving it a thumbs up. 

Considering natural selection, it seems reasonable that there would be minor differences in groups of homo sapiens that inhabited different areas of the world. 

BTW, I loved your perspective on why individual's of mixed race are typically sexier.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Political/social correctness

Political/social correctness can hinder research into this area.

Would saying women are more emotinal than men be sexists? Would studying the difference between men and women be sexist?

It was considered politically/socially incorrect to study the differences between men and women.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Would

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Would saying women are more emotinal than men be sexists?

I think there are already studies that prove this one. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The major problem is that

The major problem is that there are no such things as different human races. The concept is simply not supported by the science, and in fact, the science refutes the idea. There is no such thing as the 'white' race or the 'black' race or any other races.

What we actually do have are two different things:

1) Different populations

2) Different cultures

A biological population is not the same thing as a biological race. Populations are more-or-less geographical whereas a races would have a basis in genetics. There is no such genetic basis.

Different populations tend to share different genetic characteristics, such as skin colour, but not enough to qualify as a 'race'. When studied, it is found that genetic variation is accounted for to a much greater extent within populations than between populations. What little variation there is between populations is largely superficial in nature. Appearances, rather than substance. Of course, there is some variation between populations. But again, I stress that it is insufficient to warrant the concept of races. There is too much overlap and gradation.

So, now that we have that out of the way, where does that get us?

Well, for one thing, it leads us to the astonishing conclusion that: There is no such thing as race!

You may think you are white (or whatever 'race' you've been told you are), but you are not. I am not a 'white' person. I'm a person who happens to have white skin. Just like I happen to have brown hair and brown eyes. No big deal.

But that concept of race is a sticky one. People cling to it. I clung to it for a few years. I tried not to be 'racist', but I still considered myself 'white'. It took me a while to get past that whole idea and just realize that: If there are no races... then 'racism' actually makes zero sense. Not only am I not a racist, I simply can't be, because there are no races.

But where does 'racism' come from? Why do people act like racists?

I'd say 99% of it has to do with 2) different cultures.

Cultures also vary by population, but they can be more distinct. In any case, it does make sense to talk about a person's culture, even if we were to consider that each human has their own personal and unique 'culture'. The fact is, there are identifiable cultural groups, and there is a human tendency to see people as 'us' versus 'them'.

Skin colour just happens to be a visible characteristic that some cultures latch onto to identify a person as 'us' or 'them'.

So, there is such a thing as 'white culture' and 'black culture'. These are those cultures that have non-scientific concepts of 'race by skin tone' and identify themselves as either being in the 'white race' or 'black race' or what have you.

So, if I happen to have white skin, and I happen to consider myself as part of a 'white race', then it makes sense to say that I have a 'white culture'.

Again, I'm beyond that, so I'm not even a part of 'white culture'. I reject race, so I reject the validity of 'white culture' or 'black culture' as being prejudicial cultures. I'm a human, and that's that. My skin colour is as relevant as my eye colour or height or weight or whatever; i.e. it is not relevant.

I still hold onto my ancestral European culture and my Canadian culture, but I reject any racial aspects of those.

So, in regards to the original post: Yes, there are genetic differences around the world, and there are even populations that tend to share more of some variations than others, and some of those variations may actually be potentially 'better' than others, as in better for human adaptation to various niches. However, there are no distinct races that carry identifiable sets of some variations versus others. There are only loosely defined populations. And so it makes zero sense to say that 'some races are better than others'.

Imagine some day in the future, we manage to colonize Mars. Let's say there are 9 billion people on Earth and 1 billion people on Mars. Let's even say that some of the people on Mars have developed an adaptation to Mars' lower gravity. All that it makes sense to say is that the population on Mars tends to have this low-G adaptation. It does NOT make sense to say that there is an Earth race and a Mars race.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeachJustice wrote: My

BeachJustice wrote:
My thoughts on race and the statement that all races are equal. I’d love for anyone to debate me on the matter, I hope to refine my ideas.

I don't understand how it can be concluded that all races are 'created' more or less equally?

'Created' is definitely a bad word to use around here.

All human races are human.

Quote:
They have tended to live in relative exclusion for long enough that the particular set of genotypic frequencies for many traits tend to be unique among their own interbreeding community and must have obviously developed as a result of pressures of natural / social selection unique to their population's geographic niche and ecosystem (by which races tend to be defined over). It seems almost inevitable this would be the case. And our genetic makeup influences almost every aspect of us, clearly.

Only appearance. Certainly not 'every aspect of us'. Natural selection also holds that what you may see as ideal for mating is not endemic to even your own race.

Quote:
So I'd be willing to bet that the tendencies of the sets of traits of certain races make them more of an asset on the whole to modern societies than others

You would lose that bet. Day traders don't run away from lions every day, but they might still be able to do just that.

Quote:
so on average certain races are indeed superior to one another and if it ever came to choosing, for example, between two candidates for a job, barring any other differences between their apparent skill in the field, I would be better off making an educated guess as to which candidate belonged to the race better suited for the position / functioning in modern society.

You will probably be sued, fired, and won't work in human resources ever again. Qualifications are irrespective of race.

Quote:
From an evolutionary standpoint, the Negroid races from Afrika have tended to fail in comparison to Caucasoids considering they have historically not created any civilizations in which the population enjoys relatively rapid growth, in comparison with empires and relatively advanced civilizations that have developed over the rest of the Earth (middle east, Europe, Asia, &c.), and therefore would be unable to successfully compete without guidance from the more civilized races.

Here's where you fail. Necessity breeds invention, not race. There was no need for these allegedly great civilizations to exist.

Quote:
I have also heard the arguement that with enough data, you could draw a map of the geographic trends of skin color, nose size, (as examples) or any other characteristic that people tend to associate with certain races. You'd see that different areas of the world do show different phenotypes. But you couldn't create any meaningful classification from it because the characteristics tend to fall along gradients rather than discrete categories, and the gradients of different characteristics do not coincide.

No one that I know will argue about differences in physical appearance. It is this idea that ability is determinant upon race that is flawed.

Quote:
But as a rebuttal, I'd like to point out that you can't look at one trait or another an conclude that races don't exist. An organism is essentially the interaction, complex in organization, between the all the proteins transcribed by one's DNA. You must look at the races the sum of all the genes interacting, and certain races tend to have higher genotypic frequencies for particular, relatively unique sets of genes.

Again. Physical appearance doesn't determine potential ability.

Quote:
I will however concede that our standard definitions of races may be inadequate.

You say inadequate and I say unnecessary.

Quote:
On a separate note, I believe the only reason that mixed race people seem to have a higher incidence of attractiveness is that the only time someone will step over a racial boundary is for a really hot member of another race.

BZZZZT. Wrong again. Physical appearance is only one of many factors involved when checking for a mate.

Quote:
Your average white guy will tend not to be attracted to a black woman, for example.

Show an 'average white guy' a picture of Rihanna then show him a picture of Oprah. It is the beauty not the color.

Quote:
It tends to be engrained in our brains that people who look significantly different we tend to approach them suspiciously, rather than being attracted.

Maybe by your parents, but not everyone's. Besides that, around here many of us had religion ingrained in our brains. Build a bridge and get over it. Without change from generation to generation means extinction when environment changes.

The next race to go extinct will be racists. lol.

Quote:
This is because in the past it benefited us not to be too open to potentially rival tribes. These tendencies manifest themselves in children of mixed race couples tending to originate from two attractive individuals.

Soooo, how much anecdotal evidence would you require to change this opinion. Last time I checked on Tiger Woods, Barack Obama, The Rock, Vin Diesel, Adrianna Lima were doing pretty well. Gosh! I didn't know that Tiger was only good at golf because he was of mixed ethnicity! Wow! When he and Elin have a baby then it might rule the world then!

And wow. Tiger is actually pretty hot (in a guy examining guy kind of way) I wonder what his parents looked like... Ummmm. Yeah. That argument falls apart, dude.

Quote:
Just decided I'd post my thoughts on the matter, feel free to pick it apart guys ( just not too much Smiling ).

Sometimes I wonder why people think that these are their own thoughts instead of propagating parental prejudices by proxy.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's a race?This is not a

What's a race?

This is not a joke question. I'm a biologist. We never use the term "race" in classification. It's an extremely vague and ultimately meaningless term. We can use species to denote groups of individuals whose genotype and karyotype similarity is sufficient to allow interbreeding, but even that is poorly defined. When most people think of race, they think of skin color. Skin color is just the most immediately obvious and visible of the many divergences that can exist within sets of populations. You will never hear evolutionary biologists using the term "race". Why would they? It's not very useful. It's common usage doesn't really tell us anything except for that differing pigments for melanocytes are selected in different regions, which is not very interesting. If we were to use it to refer to any general divergence in any particular nucleotide sequence (not just those that control melanocyte production), then it would be even more useless. Different alleles that we might associate with different sets of populations (like those which determine susceptibility to hypertension or sickle-cell anemia) are independent of such selection of melanocytes. Why wouldn't it be? First rule of Darwinian gene frequency selections: THe environment determines the frequency of an allele, not the other alleles in the pool.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some questionable ideas,

Some questionable ideas, even within the dubious framework of 'race'.

The comment about some races whose "population enjoys relatively rapid growth", is neither well correlated with advanced civilization or 'whiteness'.

Certainly more enlightened attitudes should lead to a stable population well-matched to their resources, rather than rapid growth.

Africa is currently the main area where rapid population growth is still a major problem now. That doesn't fit into your assumptions in any obvious way. There is, BTW, evidence that Africa had some relatively advanced settlements and cities before they were overrun by slave traders, both black and white and oriental. A lot of these apparent correlations with 'race' are more closely explained by the history of the region they mainly originate from, which is the result of many complex interactions and conflicts with other groups more interested in exploiting other peoples, who may well be more cultured but also less practised in conquest.

In terms of 'superiority' I think the assumption that the Caucusoids have the edge rather ignores the Oriental, especially the Chinese, who have a longer history of advanced civilization than the Europeans, and seem likely to be making a resurgence even now.

Then there is India, which is certainly not 'white', and also has a long history of civilization. The Indians and Chinese students and researchers are way over-represented in US University Science achievements.

Not to mention Japan. And so on.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Normal

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

Well, let me clarify first what I mean by race (I REALLY should have done this beforehand, so my apologies). When I refer to different races I essentially mean populations that historically have tended to interbreed in relative geographic isolation from one another and which occupy relatively unique environmental niches that pose their inhabitants with relatively unique survival challenges in turn. Historical definitions of race obviously only fit these criteria relatively weakly, if at all. 

Also, I would like to retract my comment about African Negroids being less evolutionarily successful than Caucasoids, as BobSpence1 did quite a nice job of showing me all I needed was a history lesson Smiling

darth_josh wrote:
Only appearance. Certainly not 'every aspect of us'. Natural selection also holds that what you may see as ideal for mating is not endemic to even your own race.

I simply think this is untrue. Genes code for every single protein of which we are made, and most certainly influence our intelligence, for example. I’d be willing to bet populations that live in colder, barren areas where they are forced to be predatory and cannot forage for foods have certain types of intellectual strengths selected for that make them better at survival in those areas. Natural selection does not work only through sexual selection, but our distant ancestors most definitely lived in a world where resources were limited and there would be a tendency that those who were unable to compete would die before being able to reproduce. I see no reason to assume the average differences are only skin deep. 

darth_josh wrote:
Here's where you fail. Necessity breeds invention, not race. There was no need for these allegedly great civilizations to exist.

But when one race creates a relatively advanced civilization in which the population can flourish, the members of this race have clearly out-propagated other races. Certainly our genetic makeup influences everything about us including how we construct our societies. Is it wrong to say it is more likely the case that the organisms which ensure the survival of more offspring are in evolutionary terms more successful than those who do not? 

darth_josh wrote:
You would lose that bet. Day traders don't run away from lions every day, but they might still be able to do just that.

I think this ridiculous example you give serves only to trivialize my idea. Our traits, whether or not they include only outward appearance predispose us to certain experiences over others. For example, darker eyes tend to adjust to quick changes in light over lighter eye colors. Now, say you had an unlimited number of soldiers, all the same except for eye color. Over enough wars you would see a slight tendency for the survival of the darker eyed varieties. You see, traits, even physical appearance, have some tendency to influence how we live our lives. There will be a tendency for people with certain traits not to pursue certain jobs, and if certain sets of phenotypes were more common in one race over another (which is certainly not impossible), that particular race would be better suited to said job. 

darth_josh wrote:
Maybe by your parents, but not everyone's. Besides that, around here many of us had religion ingrained in our brains. Build a bridge and get over it. Without change from generation to generation means extinction when environment changes.

It sounds like you need a lesson in physical anthropology. These appearance biases are largely unconscious, I think that is fairly obvious, and there is therefore still a slight tendency to breed within one’s own community. 

Also, I think it would be right of you to admit your statement that I get my ideas from my parents is ungrounded and irrational. Some of your responses are certainly very intelligent, but concerning the others, I think the members of this board will be intelligent enough to see through some of the obvious implicit slandering of my family and trivialization of ideas masquerading as rationality.

And personal anecdotes about a few celebrities typically make for very poor arguments when forming rebuttals against the evidence of reason, especially when the topic involves all of humanity. Again, for the most part, I'm speaking in averages and overall tendencies across populations.

I think that’s all the rebuttal needed for that post.

oh hai

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a side note

Concerning the range of genetic variation in the African continent between populations of humans. I suppose this would likely be because humans originated in Africa. If Africans have all of the genetic variation seen in all other peoples, I suppose this would support the "Out of Africa" theory, right?

oh hai

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeachJustice wrote:When I

BeachJustice wrote:
When I refer to different races I essentially mean populations that historically have tended to interbreed in relative geographic isolation from one another and which occupy relatively unique environmental niches that pose their inhabitants with relatively unique survival challenges in turn.

So... you mean cultures, then. Again, there is no genetic basis for distinct races. Either you mean cultures, or you are talking nonsense. Which is it?

Quote:
I’d be willing to bet populations that live in colder, barren areas where they are forced to be predatory and cannot forage for foods have certain types of intellectual strengths selected for that make them better at survival in those areas.

As far as I'm aware, the Inuit do not have an innate IQ advantage over other people.

Quote:
Natural selection does not work only through sexual selection, but our distant ancestors most definitely lived in a world where resources were limited and there would be a tendency that those who were unable to compete would die before being able to reproduce.

It is hard to think of many places with more limited resources than Africa. Certainly Europe has more resources, in terms of arable land, for example.

BeachJustice, you appear to be fishing for correlations, rather than reasoning by evidence.

The human diaspora over the Earth is no more than 50,000 years ago. In most cases, it is around 10-20,000 or less.

There has simply not been enough time for natural selection to have produced distinct races or large adaptations in one population over another.

The evidence shows that there is vastly more variation within populations than between them. Deal with that fact. How do you explain it?

The evidence shows that there are no significant differences in IQ (for example) between various populations that are not accounted for by culture.

The evidence shows there is no genetic basis for race. Race does not exist. Get it through your head.

Quote:
I see no reason to assume the average differences are only skin deep.

The evidence shows they are. Deal with it.

Quote:
But when one race creates a relatively advanced civilization in which the population can flourish, the members of this race have clearly out-propagated other races. Certainly our genetic makeup influences everything about us including how we construct our societies. Is it wrong to say it is more likely the case that the organisms which ensure the survival of more offspring are in evolutionary terms more successful than those who do not?

You are ignoring the effects of culture. It is culture that is the main determinant of the success of a population. Biological evolution is to slow to account for the advancement of civilizations. 10-50,000 years is not enough time for biological evolution, but it is PLENTY of time for cultural evolution. You should read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, which gives an interesting explanation for why certain regions developed civilizations faster than others. It may have more to do with what foods the land can grow. Wheat doesn't grow in Africa.

Quote:
It sounds like you need a lesson in physical anthropology. These appearance biases are largely unconscious, I think that is fairly obvious, and there is therefore still a slight tendency to breed within one’s own community.

Again, this is best explained by culture, not 'race'.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:The human

natural wrote:

The human diaspora over the Earth is no more than 50,000 years ago. In most cases, it is around 10-20,000 or less.

Then I suppose this is the killing blow to most of my arguments, which I had not given enough consideration. It does make sense I suppose to think it is not likely that significant differences between human breeding populations were due to differences in genotypic frequencies so much as the cultures that were adapted to allow communities to progress in their given niches.

So culture is  more influential than 'race', considering cultural evolution is clearly more rapid.

I'm willing to accept this.

Thank you.

oh hai

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
He (natural) is right,

He (natural) is right, BeachJustice.This is the flaw in your thesis. Biological evolution is too slow to be a serious consideration in the differences you are considering between various human populations. Do you have any idea how short the human career in civilization building is? The paleolithic era (sometimes called the "stone age" ) accounts for 99.8% of the span of time since H. Sapiens first emerged. The genetic variations that we now distinguish as "races" did not appear until long after the migration out of Africa. We are talking about a handful of thousand years. No divergence of the magnitude you are considering could even begin to take place. The success or failure of civilizations and states in human history during the early part of man's experiments after the Neolithic revolution depends on exactly one thing: The environment in which the population exists, not because of particular selection factors of that environment which will determine the population's cognitive abilities (such a process would take far longer), but rather because the environment determines whether a civilization will be successful, or not. Have you ever been to Sub-Saharan Africa? Do you have any idea of the conglomerate of difficulties that anyone could even begin to face in the construction of a civilization in such an environment?

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Then I suppose this is

Quote:

Then I suppose this is the killing blow to most of my arguments, which I had not given enough consideration.

In that case, feel free to ignore my last post. I only saw this after posting it.

I'm very impressed. The admission of defeat on a forum argument is rare indeed. Most people wouldn't do it.

-Me

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
natural is another hero

natural is another hero poster of mine. I once sent a PM to rrs natural and I think I asked, what kind of brain growth vitamins are you taking ?!!! ...  

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeachJustice wrote:

BeachJustice wrote:

Normal

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

Also, I think it would be right of you to admit your statement that I get my ideas from my parents is ungrounded and irrational. Some of your responses are certainly very intelligent, but concerning the others, I think the members of this board will be intelligent enough to see through some of the obvious implicit slandering of my family and trivialization of ideas masquerading as rationality.

And personal anecdotes about a few celebrities typically make for very poor arguments when forming rebuttals against the evidence of reason, especially when the topic involves all of humanity. Again, for the most part, I'm speaking in averages and overall tendencies across populations.

I think that’s all the rebuttal needed for that post. 

Absolutely.

You're most certainly not the ignorant inbred redneck that first impression made with me.

I disclaimed the celebrities by noting the reference as anecdotal evidence.

Incidentally, how do 'rednecks' factor into the original idea since they are also a product of this allegedly advanced 'race'? lol.

BeachJustice
BeachJustice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry if I came across as

Sorry if I came across as butthurt at the end of my original response, darth. I was really tired at the time but had no bed to sleep on in my room cause me and my roommate just moved. I understand the relatively sensitive nature of this subject matter.

But atleast we can all agree rednecks are more civilized than Mexicans.

i kid

hehe, heh...

oh hai

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
BeachJustice wrote:But

BeachJustice wrote:

i kid

hehe, heh...

In the yeear 2025 "Lou Dobs" will be the most racist comment one can make towards another individual

What Would Kharn Do?

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
BeachJustice wrote:But

BeachJustice wrote:

i kid

hehe, heh...

Glad to note you are kidding here.  Just in case you are not at some level though, I am from rural America and lived in rural Mexico for a time.  I would note that anywhere ignorance due to lack of education exists it has really bad repercussions.  Sometime you should hear what Mexicans here think about poor, uneducated caucasians in their neighborhoods.  Some of the criticisms are quite valid.

Good job at thinking about the arguments presented to you and being willing to revise your explanatory ideas based on new evidence.  That is a really hard thing for a lot of people to do.

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is entirely possible that

It is entirely possible that you are correct, that some races are 'superior' to other races, you just have a couple major stumbling blocks to overcome first.

Stumbling Block 1: (As pointed out by DeludedGod and others) Races need to actually exist. Currently the Genetic evidence points towards any variations being largely miniscule in a broad sense. Yes, If a White Man and a Black Man were plopped down in the Sahara, all other things being identical between them, the Black Man would have a greater chance of survival. On the other hand, if the two were plopped down in Siberia, the White Man would have a higher chance of survival. However both of their chances of survival in either situation would be damn near close to zero. This brings up an interesting point that most racists (which given your later responses I am unsure if this label can be adequately applied to you) don't seem to get, if we both get plopped down in either of those areas and instead of competing, we work together, we both have a much higher chance of survival in both situations. This leads to Stumbling Block 2.

SB 2: You need to create a fully capable system of assessing capability, covering all abilitiess and all possible scenarios. Have fun with this Eye-wink. To put it politely, this is impossible, it would require Omniscience. As such, although it is possible that one race could be 'superior' to another, we have literally no way of determining this, because even if we account for every possible scenario we can think of, we will still miss something. It is a product of supreme Arrogance to believe that we know what qualities will be needed by our species for all of its existence. This is where the Nazi idea of Eugenics failed(*1), because even if they had gotten the right race for the current age and bred them to perfection, they still don't know what the future might bring. Furthermore, each time you 'refine' something you remove variations, unfortunately for living things, those variations are what let the species as a whole survive things like climate shift and other environmental changes. The more variations you remove, the more possible scenarios you ensure we won't be able to adapt to.

Until we can determine what 'race' is best suited for every possible (and I mean this in the absolute infinite sense) scenario that it will have to experience, we should naturally assume that each 'race' will help with at least one scenario and the only way to maximize our species' chance of survival is to keep as many around as possible. We need to keep the Genetic Variation in our species alive and massive.

Minor Note;

BeachJustice wrote:
From an evolutionary standpoint, the Negroid races from Afrika have tended to fail in comparison to Caucasoids considering they have historically not created any civilizations in which the population enjoys relatively rapid growth

So I'm guessing you've never heard of Mansa Musa and the Empire of Mali right? You know, the Empire so rich that its leader managed to lower the Global Price of Gold. Or how about These? As others have pointed out, the advent of Europe is still a relatively recent phenomenon, having begun in perhaps the 16th Century (when Spain started to really go after South and Central America). Before that point, if you wanted to go to the greatest Civilization in the world, you went to anywhere but Europe, which other than the breif periods of unity created by either the Roman or Alexandrian (really brief there) Empires, spent all of its time beating the shit out of itself (granted, this is pretty much how every area went). This further demonstrates my point. Those who are on top today may be at the bottom tomorrow.
Furthermore, lets see Europeans try and build an empire in Africa without their precious European Homes hmmm? Perhaps Africa didn't experience the largest population growth in the past, but that is hardly a valid way of measuring the potential of a Nation. After all, it was the Black Death killed perhaps 1/5th of Europe that the Kingdoms there were able to begin the transition to a modern society.
Also, let us not forget that Asian horse nomads made the Largest Land Empire in History with no mode of transportation faster than said horses, and that Britain, despite having modern technology, only barely beat them in terms of Land Area.

1: Before anyone whines about this and starts chucking Godwin's Law at me, shut up. I am not comparing BeachJustice to Nazis, I am merely using them as an example. If you're going to use the law against me, at least read up on what it actually means.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, or the most intelligent; it is the one most capable of change".
-Attributed to Charls Darwin, sources are lacking.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Wow, ....if there's no

Wow, ....if there's no such thing as race,  then there's no such thing as racism.   Also,  so-called "hate crimes" legislation should be amended to reflect *reality.

( *racial categories does not exist )

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
so if certain human genetic

so if certain human genetic lines, cannot be called a "race" what am i supposed to call them?

Niger Species?

Cracker Species?

What Would Kharn Do?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is probably a wider

There is probably a wider spread of 'ethnic', cultural, geographic, body-types, etc who share the single superficial attribute of dark skin color than 'white'.

Even within the continent of Africa, we have the 'pygmies', Bushmen, Watusi, Masai, etc who vary widely in everthing apart from skin color. Outside Africa, you have thepeoples of the Indian subcontinent, Australian aboriginals, and even the original Tasmanians, who were significantly distinct from the people of mainland Australia.

'Racism' exists, it does not depend on the concept of 'race' being valid, any more than Theism as a belief depends on the actual existence of God.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: 'Racism'

BobSpence1 wrote:

'Racism' exists, it does not depend on the concept of 'race' being valid, any more than Theism as a belief depends on the actual existence of God.

But aren't  laws that protect persons based upon their "race" ( ie, their physical appearance, not just color ) basically validating the concept of race ? This puts legislators in conflict with the scientific community.

Also, the concept of "race" is demonstrated  by tangible characteristics that are observable in reality whereas the concept of god is not supported by such evidence ( or you and I would not be atheists )

I can see, hear, observe and communicate with persons who are representative of differing "races". They are real.    Regardless of beliefs God does not lend himself,/ herself/ itself to such observation. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FBI hate crime stats

FBI hate crime stats 2006

By Bias Motivation

An analysis of data for victims of single-bias hate crime incidents showed that:

• 52.1 percent of the victims were targeted because of the offender’s bias against a race.
  • 18.1 percent were victimized because of a bias against a religious belief.
  • 15.3 percent were targeted because of a bias against a particular sexual orientation.
  • 13.5 percent were victimized because of a bias against an ethnicity/national origin.
  • 1.0 percent were targeted because of a bias against a disability.

(Based on Table 1.)

Racial bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2006, there were 5,020 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

• 66.4 percent were victims of an offender’s anti-black bias.
  • 21.0 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.
  • 4.8 percent were victims of an anti-Asian/Pacific Islander bias.
  • 1.5 percent were victims of an anti-American Indian/Alaskan Native bias.
  • 6.4 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).

(Based on Table 1.)

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

But aren't  laws that protect persons based upon their "race" ( ie, their physical appearance, not just color ) basically validating the concept of race ? This puts legislators in conflict with the scientific community.

Also, the concept of "race" is demonstrated  by tangible characteristics that are observable in reality whereas the concept of god is not supported by such evidence ( or you and I would not be atheists )

I can see, hear, observe and communicate with persons who are representative of differing "races". They are real.    Regardless of beliefs God does not lend himself,/ herself/ itself to such observation. 

In Canada, we have the concept of 'visible minorities', rather than race per se. It is illegal to discriminate based on visible minority status, for example. So-called race quite well fits under that umbrella.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Wow, ....if there's no such thing as race,  then there's no such thing as racism.   Also,  so-called "hate crimes" legislation should be amended to reflect *reality.

( *racial categories does not exist )

Ouch. Gotta watch that one, PDW. Denial of the antecedent.

Example: "Since jesus wasn't real then jesus believers aren't real." See the problem?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Of course, the different sets of physical characteristics that you observe do exist, what is in question is whether those characteristics are a meaningful indication that the person is a member of some major sub-division of humanity which is more significant than, say, a group purely defined by hair color, eye color, or nose shape.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: Of

BobSpence1 wrote:

Of course, the different sets of physical characteristics that you observe do exist, what is in question is whether those characteristics are a meaningful indication that the person is a member of some major sub-division of humanity which is more significant than, say, a group purely defined by hair color, eye color, or nose shape.

I am not focusing exclusively upon traits that might be classified as merely cosmetic and therefore "superficial".   Currently in the study of disease, racial divisions are being examined.  Apparently, all things being equal, differences do exist.  Hopefully this link is not dead : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11024379/

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I am not focusing exclusively upon traits that might be classified as merely cosmetic and therefore "superficial".   Currently in the study of disease, racial divisions are being examined.  Apparently, all things being equal, differences do exist.  Hopefully this link is not dead : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11024379/

That is all generally true, I am not denying that differences do exist at all. Just that the traditional racial groupings are no longer necessarily the best way to categorize those differences, especially now that we have DNA analysis to trace inherited characteristics.

I guess my point is that we now have much better ways of grouping people according to significant genetic markers, which don't always correspond all that well with the traditional 'racial' groupings, which really were pretty much based exclusively based on 'superficial' characteristics.

The reality is that those 'real differences' are frequently found to be distributed in a more complex pattern, and lines of descent are not as pure as has often been assumed, based on those traditional markers of 'race'.

For example, people in England who appear to fit perfectly within the dominant Caucasian population profile, who have been found to have gene variants which strongly point to significant contributions from African ancestry, possibly dating from activities during earlier times when there were significant numbers of Africans in the society, either as slaves or members of visiting ship's crews. This can have implications as to susceptibility to certain diseases, among other things.

The traditional markers become ever less useful as the greatly increased movement of people around the world further blurs the distinctions and reduce the correlation between one inherited attribute and another.

davec
User is offlineOffline
BeachJustice,If this is

BeachJustice,

If this is genuine inquiry and not plain racism, then there is an exceedingly good book to get you started.

It is called Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

If books aren't your cup of tea, I think PBS and National Geographic have also made programmes based on the book that should give you a condensed skimming of the books contents.

The very short version: A history of human society and advancement over the last 13,000 years.

Conclusion: Europe had everything going for it and also got lucky.

In terms of white supremacy, you may want to check several independent scientific studies of IQ. Asians are more intelligent than those of european descent by a significant amount. If you think white people are physically superior specimens, please watch any world title boxing match or olympic running final and tell me how many white faces you see.

davec
User is offlineOffline
 As you asked for debate,

As you asked for debate, not reading material, here goes.

BeachJustice wrote:

Who concludes that all races are created equally? This is assumed by many people, particularly by persons with racist or christian proclivities. I'm not aware of a single scientific study on the subject since the collapse of phrenology type pseudo-sciences. There is much literature on the subject available, but the literature is based on either racist, religious or politically correct foundations and not on objective, evidence based inquiry.

Quote:

They have tended to live in relative exclusion for long enough that the particular set of genotypic frequencies for many traits tend to be unique among their own interbreeding community and must have obviously developed as a result of pressures of natural / social selection unique to their population's geographic niche and ecosystem (by which races tend to be defined over). It seems almost inevitable this would be the case.

It would seem inevitable, but there are problems.

1. The thousands of years that humans are 'separated' for is not very long at all for evolution to work. The genetic variation in the human race is tiny, in fact the variation between us and chimpanzees is also quite small. The two parts of our respective genomes that differ the most are the parts that influence the brain and the testicles. (The testicles are quite a lot more divergent than the brain is when you compare humans to chimps) Despite this, the DNA of human and chimpanzee sexual makeup is so close that it may still be possible for us to successfully interbreed (if you were willing to try long and hard enough), the offspring would probably be infertile though.

2. You need absolute separation and fairly small genepools for populations to significantly diverge, even given a timescale of several tens of thousands of years. Us humans (all of us, not just whites) tend to enjoy the raping and pillaging quite a lot and also take nice women as prizes after conquest or trade them with other populations. This severely limits human divergence. With large genepools, (i.e. lots of potential mates) The tiny advantage given to an individual by a genetic mutation almost always gets too diluted and swamped by the genes of others and cannot 'take over' the genepool.

3. Humans are communal animals, even our most remote, primitive cultures or ancestors banded together in groups. Because small groups work together for mutual advantage it significantly weakens the ability of tiny genetic differences to make a significant difference to the odds of an individuals' chance of passing their advantage on.

4. As a species we are remarkably good at adapting our environment to suit ourselves instead of relying on genetic adaptation. An Eskimo that lives in the Arctic circle is no more genetically adapted to the Arctic than a Chinese man that happened to raised by said Eskimos. The ability to survive in this harsh environment has nothing whatsoever do with any 'natural genetic advantage' It is their intimate knowledge of the environment and ability to do things like kill polar bears and wear the skin.

Quote:

And our genetic makeup influences almost every aspect of us, clearly.

Not as much as most people seem to think and certainly not in the way you are using it in your argument. When you apply the nature vs nurture debate to our modern societies, (modern being all human societies in the last 5,000-10,000 years) nurture almost completely drowns out nature. An example of this can be seen by comparing the murder and violent crime rates of the USA and Canada. (Please don't compare a trivial difference like eye colour with the ability of a population of millions to innovate or wage war)

Quote:

So I'd be willing to bet that the tendencies of the sets of traits of certain races make them more of an asset on the whole to modern societies than others, so on average certain races are indeed superior to one another and if it ever came to choosing, for example, between two candidates for a job, barring any other differences between their apparent skill in the field, I would be better off making an educated guess as to which candidate belonged to the race better suited for the position / functioning in modern society.

Oh boy, so wrong on so many levels for so many reasons...

When humans were all hunter/gatherers it made sense to divide labour between men and women. Men would do the more physical work and the less physical work would be done by women. Men are significantly physically stronger than women on average and yes that is because of the genetic differences between men and women.

In both world war one and world war two, British men left to fight and die by their millions, but at the same time, the country needed to massively increase it's economic activity.

Think about it, millions of skilled workers were taken out of the economy to go fight.

The economy not only needed to carry on catering for it's population but it also had to massively increase production of war machinery and deal with massive amounts of infrastructure destruction.

How did it do this? Women took over ALL of the jobs previously exclusively done by men. Women en mass became miners, bricklayers, mechanics, technicians, accountants, lawyers, factory workers, welders etc etc

Despite being at a significant physical disadvantage, the women not only managed to do every single male job successfully, they managed to greatly increase the productivity by being very motivated (patriotic duty and all that) and basically, working their little arses off.

There is only one circumstance where your statement could be applicable and that is professional sport. An enormous amount of money is spent training Olympic medal winners and they are tested to the extreme of human performance. If you had a business that took children aged 5 and invested massively in them for 15 years to train runners with the intention of recouping your money when they get a gold, then yes if it was possible to do a genetic test of the children it would give you an indication of potential when recruiting. (Here's a hint too, you would have virtually no white people. Hitler tried it for the Berlin Olympics to prove white supremacy and was embarrassing shown to be wrong).

In any other circumstances, (i.e. any work that doesn't pit human individual against human individual in a physical test and filter them out to find the best in the world) your remark is null and void, genetics will play no part whatsoever in the ability of a person to do the job (excluding people with debilitating genetic defects obviously).

Quote:

Fail. Fail. Fail. Total Fail.

Read some history of Africa, preferably history that isn't on the back of a KKK leaflet.

Africa has had many civilizations and did have many when Europe kindly took to slaughter and enslavement on a grand scale. In the southern parts of Africa, the iron working was the most advanced in the world until it was over taken in the British Industrial Revolution. Being slaughtered and enslaved does have a rather detrimental effect on your ability to advance technologically...

It is also worth pointing out that environmental conditions meant trying to live and progress in Africa was for the seriously hardcore, why do you think the rest of us wimps decided to run away to the beautiful, lush paradise of the Fertile Crescent?

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here, could you clarify it or explain it differently please?

Anyway If you are saying what I think you are saying - you can use nose size to determine phenotype and then classify human populations according to it, it wouldn't work.

Phenotype is the observable expression of genotype. This does not mean that everyone with a big nose has the same phenotype. Genetics textbooks get rewritten often, it is an easy model to say a single physical feature is due to a single gene variation but sadly it is a huge oversimplification and often wrong. The interplay and effects of your genes on your body is hugely complex, genes get turned on and off at different times affecting development radically, sometimes working alone and sometimes working in coordination with other genes to give different effects on different cell systems that also depend on the cell environment. To make matters even more complicated, genes aren't the only thing that effect phenotype, look up epigenetics and prepare to be confused.

However I think what you are trying to do is trace genetic differences or commonality through populations. There is no need to look at anything as messy as phenotype to do this, these days you just look at the DNA itself. This enables incredible accuracy and 100% certainty as to origins in certain cases.

Here are two cool examples:

1. Jewish high priests have passed their position on to their sons for many thousands of years, they are also very picky about who they breed with, as a result they have unique genetic markers. 1000 years ago, a number of these high priests left Israel, journeyed around a bit and finally settled down on the Zimbabwe/Botswana border. Today, thanks to our ability to look directly at an individual's DNA, we can still see those same markers present in the members of the Buba clan of the Lemba people. Despite this ancestry, the Buba themselves are completely indistinguishable (to the naked eye) from any of the other Bantu people (most Africans are of Bantu descent).

2. My sister (geneticist) and my father (history buff) have traced our genealogy back to the battle of Hastings in 1066AD when the nasty French invaded Britain. But when you look at our genetic history via my father's DNA, we have markers for English, French, Viking, Kazakh, Mongol and Jewish peoples.

As American white supremacists go, my family tree is a complete wet dream, 1000 traceable years of unbroken, whiter than white, christian, Anglo-Saxon heritage. But when you look at DNA a completely different pattern and mish-mash of cultures is revealed.

The idea of some pure, white, master race is a complete fantasy, when you analyse DNA the real picture emerges, we are all very 'multicultural' at a genetic level.

Quote:

Again I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to say, but if 'race' is defined as white, black, asian, sino-asian etc then yes, the relation between race and genetic makeup of any individual that is seen to belong to a defined race is hopelessly inadequate and pointless. Thinking in terms of race is only really useful when framing from a racist or anti-racist view point.

Quote:

On a separate note, I believe the only reason that mixed race people seem to have a higher incidence of attractiveness is that the only time someone will step over a racial boundary is for a really hot member of another race. Your average white guy will tend not to be attracted to a black woman, for example. It tends to be engrained in our brains that people who look significantly different we tend to approach them suspiciously, rather than being attracted.

I am not a shepherd, so when I look at a flock of sheep, all I see is a bunch of sheep. If I spent the next few months/years being in constant day to day contact with that flock, I would gradually learn to distinguish individual sheep's faces. (But hopefully not find them attractive!)

Your brain not 'engrained' as you put it to find certain racial features (like skin colour) attractive, quite the opposite in fact, it is purely a learned behaviour. For the first few years of your life you can't even recognise yourself in a mirror. The fight or flight, like me/not like me processing that your brain does depends on what people around you look like, not what you look like.

At one point in my life I was in a working environment that was 70-80% Indian, after a few months Indian women seemed a lot more attractive than white women.

Later on, different job, and 95+% of people I was working with were black. Again in a short period of time black women became very attractive to my eyes.

The only reason your brain can't distinguish levels of attractiveness accurately in other races is because you don't significantly mix or socialise with other races.

Assuming you are a heterosexual male, if you moved to China for a few years your brain would adapt to find Chinese women attractive. The biological urge to get laid is much, much stronger than you are giving it credit for.

Quote:

This is because in the past it benefited us not to be too open to potentially rival tribes.

Historically, neighbouring rival tribes would look identical to you, even in nomadic societies that moved around a lot. Tribes don't move from the depths of Africa to pop across to India for the summer...

Quote:

These tendencies manifest themselves in children of mixed race couples tending to originate from two attractive individuals.

Historically, racial mixing happened mostly in three ways, war, trade and exploration.

In war the victors would normally rape all the women or take them as wives/sex slaves.

In trade, women were often traded or arranged marriages to improve relations. The arrangement of marriage was based on the social position of the men involved, not the attractiveness of the women.

In exploration, a bunch of men would have just spent months at sea with only other men for company, they would shag any woman with a pulse as soon at every opportunity.

Quote:

Apologies if that was 'too much', but please, continue the debate, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't mind discussing

I don't mind discussing race, but some of this is ridiculous.

BeachJustice wrote:

Ridiculous. There are far too many variables to include or exclude in this idea to make it even close to a hypothesis of any merit. "Traits of certain races", "an asset on the whole to modern societies", "superior" ... it supposes a huge amount of knowledge that simply doesn't exist. You don't know which traits help modern society, because we have enough trouble figuring out what a modern society is, much less how to help one. It's just several layers of assumption.

BeachJustice wrote:

This is just ignorance of history. The Egyptians were African, as was Hannibal. Hannibal's genes and those of his soldiers remained in southern Europe, and many of the European societies that flourish do so with an abundance of those genes. The idea that an industrial civilization is the watermark for all races, when humanity on the whole just invented industry ... well that's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Also, note that the "guidance" provided in much of Africa by "the more civilized races" resulted in a transition from a successful nomadic culture to a very unsuccessful stationary mess. "Caucasoids" have a tendency to fail in Africa.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

"Caucasoids" have a tendency to fail in Africa.

Really, how so ? ( edit; what constitutes a stationary mess from a successful one ?  Do cities constitute stationary messes ? )

davec
User is offlineOffline
While us euro trash tended

While us euro trash tended to turn up places, spread nasty diseases about the place that killed 95% of the population then claim the land as our own, we did actually have a tougher time in Africa. Those nasty primitives had quite a few nasty diseases of their own that did a good job of killing us back. A lot of the wildlife is also unfriendly...

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I wish I could find the

I wish I could find the chart I'm looking for.  When we look at humans after the migration from Africa, we find that genetic lineage has basically nothing to do with pigment.  In fact, some of the darkest "races" are the farthest removed from each other genetically.  It all has to do with the environment, like DG and others have said.  Furthermore, the traits most people would look for as evidence of "superiority" are the least heritable.  Take a group of kids, put them in a room with an abacus for twelve years of intensive training, and they become really damn good at math.  Take another group, put them in a room with an X-Box, ten cartons of Cheetos, and a TV locked on the Cartoon Network, and you get lots of Attention Deficit Disorder.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

davec
User is offlineOffline
This sort of picture?

This sort of picture?

edited to say: ignore the dates on this chart if you are trying to reconcile them with other similar pictures that show human migration. This dates are age estimates for genetic markers, does not prove that people with a certain marker were living in the Andes 30,000 years, just that many of them share a common ancestor.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That's nearly the sort of

That's nearly the sort of picture I was looking for.  The one I saw a few weeks ago had a reference table for broad ethnic groups which clearly showed that genetic descent is not racial, but environmental.  That is, races develop because the environment exerts selection pressure on existing alleles relating directly to the environment, like skin pigment.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

davec
User is offlineOffline
Maybe something like this

Maybe something like this one?

taken from this wiki article

Also worth noting if you don't want to read the wiki:

Quote:

Health related effects

Dark skin (melanin) protects against ultraviolet light; this light causes mutations in skin cells, which in turn may cause skin cancers. Light-skinned persons have about a tenfold greater risk of dying from skin cancer under equal sunlight exposure, with redheads having the greatest risk[6]. Furthermore, dark skin prevents radiation of UV-A rays from destroying the essential folic acid, derived from B vitamins. Folic acid (or folate) is needed for the synthesis of DNA in dividing cells and folate deficiency in pregnant women are associated with birth defects[7].

While dark skin better preserves vitamin B, it can also lead to vitamin D deficiency at higher latitudes which in turn can cause fatal cancers affecting the colon, lung and prostate. Dark-skinned people are also at higher risk for rickets, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and multiple sclerosis.[8].To address this issue, some countries have programs to ensure fortification of milk with vitamin D.

The advantage of light skin at high latitudes is that it allows more sun absorption, leading to increased production of vitamin D3, necessary for calcium absorption and bone growth. The lighter skin of women at higher latitudes most likely results from the higher calcium needs of women during pregnancy and lactation. However, some have postulated that it may also derive from sexual selection[9].

Albinism is a condition characterized by the absence of melanin, resulting in very light skin, eyes, and hair; it is caused by an inability to synthesize tyrosine, and has a genetic basis

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Heh.  Well, if you put

Heh.  Well, if you put the two together, that pretty much does it.  Thanks!

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

"Caucasoids" have a tendency to fail in Africa.

Really, how so ? ( edit; what constitutes a stationary mess from a successful one ?  Do cities constitute stationary messes ? )

Really, it was just  a post-colonial stab. The idea that "negroid races" somehow "fail" is nonsense, so I turned it around with a bit of historical context. The statement is just as much of a joke as the original statement it rebutts.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our racist ancestors?

But is racism a meme in our species which essential speeds up the adaptation processes necessary for our species?

For example, when humans migrated to Northern Eurasia, the few light skinned people seems to be more healthy thereby being more attractive. So parents and society would develop a preference for whiteys, this preference was passed down the generations via racism. The dark skinned people were shunned via racism until their offspring became essentially extinct.

In Africa, did any light skinned offspring get shunned by society in a form a racism?

Has racism been a necessary evil for the rapid adaptation of humans to their environment? What role has Xenophobia played in our evolution?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen