It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but...

Sarah247
Sarah247's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but...

I'm already starting to get pissed off about Christmas. I'm boycotting the holiday this year. I'm tired of the endless consumption in the name of Jesus. I saw on here that there was a War on Christmas and Easter, which sounds interesting. How does everyone else celebrate, or not, during this time of the year?

- Sarah

"I’m a polyatheist - there are many gods I don’t believe in." - Dan Fouts

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christmas & Easter

You could do what my in-laws do, completely ignor religion (even the religious ones) and have fun anyways.  (I  always have more fun igoring religion).  

My in-laws are Guyanese Hindus  and believe that christmas and easter  are not religious but for everyone. I tried to explain why they are religous but it was a waste of time.

After a few years I remembered that christmas and easter were NOT chritian holy days eather,  they're both from pagen societys that kept thier old habits after becoming "christians".

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Sarah247
Sarah247's picture
User is offlineOffline
I fully plan on doing that.

I fully plan on doing that. I think the thing that has me pissed off right now is my damn mother-in-law. She is a born again and goes between hating my guts and loving me. I'm having surgery right before Christmas, so my husband and I are getting our presents out early. Since she will be out of town for Thanksgiving, we gave her hers yesterday. Instead of buying people presents, we donated money to causes in their name. So for my mother in law we donated a bunch of money toward educating children in Africa. My mother in law was PISSED. She couldn't BELIEVE we didn't buy her a present to unwrap. It was like holy living hell was being rained down on us for being so UNTHOUGHTFUL.

I can't stand that crap. I mean to me it falls on the whole "pick and choose what part of Christianity you agree with" stuff. I mean the part of the damn religion that everyone shouts about is how filled with service and love they are. Don't you think, as a Christian, giving to someone else is far more important than consuming more crap? Who the hell knows. All I know is that I did it because it felt right to contribute to society. I didn't need some damn God to tell me to do it, accept it or appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm on the outs again. I heard the whole "I can't be in the same room as you, heathen! I can feel the presence of Satan in your midst." And don't get me wrong. I could care less if she appreciates the gift or says thank you. It just seems really two faced for such a "religious" person to throw a gift which benefits society in my face. And I'm beginning to see that stuff all over this holiday. People spend more money than they even have on stuff and then praise Jesus, God, whatever all the while.. like it's Jesus filling their shopping baskets. I just don't get it.

I have never really thought about Christmas before, but this is the first Christmas that I will be fully unable to celebrate it in any way, shape or form so I'm really looking at it differently and realizing that there are a lot of things about it that really bother me. I really don't want anything to do with the stuff. I'm all about spending time with family and friends and appreciating a good day to sleep in and a huge dinner... but I really think the God aspect of the holiday makes me want to throw up. We should call it 'Shop and Stress for Jesus Day" or something like that.

In closing, this was a rant... so I apologize in advance if I said things wrong, or offended anyone.

- Sarah

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I'm not the kind of guy

I'm not the kind of guy who "celebrates" anything.  I don't even observe my own birthday.  The holidays mean nothing to me.  I will  attend the Christmas observance at my elderly mother's house because I love her and I don't want to upset her,  that's all.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanksgiving passed weeks

Thanksgiving passed weeks ago.  Turkey was good, thanks! Laughing out loud

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holidays

I always celebrate christmas, although not in the religious sense, as I don't see the religious context anymore, it's just another vacation time and commercial event. For the most part we just get together with family, have fun, enjoy the food (oh the food is sooooooo delicious) and just enjoy our time together, easter we don't do much except the easter egg hunt, which is all about my daughter having fun.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, many xtians do not

Actually, many xtians do not celebrate christmas or easter just because they are "pagan" holidays. I happen to know several, but my in-laws, who are a baptist preacher and wife most definitely celebrate both. The bible even says to not decorate trees in gold and silver like the heathens do (go figure).

I still celebrate christmas as a time for family and the secular representations it holds, but if it went away I wouldn't miss it at all. The war on the holidays are just a tool to boost consumerism by creating a "we''ll just show them by going out and spending more money to keep this tradition around" kind of mentality.

p.s. I liked your idea about donating money in peoples' names instead of buying gifts. I think I will do that for all my fundy relatives LOL.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:p.s. I

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:
p.s. I liked your idea about donating money in peoples' names instead of buying gifts. I think I will do that for all my fundy relatives LOL.
I used to do this, too, back when I had money to donate. Planned Parenthood, Freedom From Religion Foundation, Center for Inquiry, James Randi Educational Foundation...

I am told this is one reason I am no longer welcome at the family Christmas shindig.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Sarah247
Sarah247's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:I used to do

JillSwift wrote:

I used to do this, too, back when I had money to donate. Planned Parenthood, Freedom From Religion Foundation, Center for Inquiry, James Randi Educational Foundation...

I am told this is one reason I am no longer welcome at the family Christmas shindig.

JillSwift, that's hilarious!! I have never donated to causes like that in people's names but I'm seriously thinking about it for my mother-in-law. I would love to see the look on her face! I usually donate money to the World Food Program, Grameen Bank, Save the Children and etc. I'm really involved in the humanitarian stuff like that. Smiling However, I may start donating money to organizations like Freedom From Religion Foundation and Center for Inquiry for those special fundies in my life.. what a good idea Smiling

- Sarah