More on How Fucked-Up Sharia Law is.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
More on How Fucked-Up Sharia Law is.

STORY_HERE

In Somalia a 13 year old girl was stoned to death in a stadium for "adultery. " She had been raped by 3 men and when her father reported it to authorities this was their solution. Sharia law is fucked up beyond belief.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Any legal system based on

Any legal system based on pleasing a sky daddy over the betterment of society is fubar.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's true. People who

That's true. People who think Christianity is better than Islam don't get it. No society uses the the Buybull for their legal system - if they did it would be as bad a society as Iran or Afghanistan under the Taliban. Problem is, some Moslem societies actually do use the Koran and Sharia law. Israel would be just as bad as the extreme Moslem countries if they based their law on the OT rather than secularly.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
That's probably one of the

That's probably one of the countrys I could never visit, or I'll be killed for some reason.

Truly FUBAR.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Somalia is a failed state

Somalia is a failed state and has next to no, if not actual zero, tourism.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  ....      Kill

....      Kill Religion Dogma, it's POISON. Heal them. Why isn't the world community more truly committed to eradicating atrocities. The U.N and Peace Corp seem such good ideas .... ahaaa , but stupidity still rules.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Basing a legal system on a

Basing a legal system on a religion is an almost guaranteed road to dystopia.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, like I say, Religion

Yeah, like I say, Religion is NOT a moral system, it's an authoriarian quasi-legal system perpetuating ancient (and some not so ancient) prejudices, and attempting to enforce them thru a combination of fear and promises of ultimate reward that you just have to take their word for. If the carrot and stick doesn't keep the sheep in line, they will resort to violence if they are not restrained by the rest of society.

If someone asks the old question about how you can be moral as an atheist, I turn it back on them and ask how they can be a decent caring person if they take seriously ALL the doctrines of their religion. If they are not disgusted by a lot of the stuff in their holy books and the practices and behaviour of many groups who claim to follow the same teachings, I say they their belief system has destroyed what moral sense they may have had.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This is what pisses me off

This is what pisses me off about cultural relativists a lot - they seem to think it's ok since it's their culture or it's only bad from a western viewpoint. No - taking a 13 year old girl and throwing rocks at her head until she dies for the crime of having been raped is extremely immoral from any SANE viewpoint.

Moslem fundies can sometimes make the Christian fundies look downright enlightened (the typical ones, not the psychotic ones like Fred Phelps. ) You could take the most ultra conservative Southern baptist preacher from Misissippi and he and I would almost certainly agree that this was a totally immoral thing to do (to call it barbaric is an insult to barbarians. ) With the divisions between red and blue states I can almost guarantee every single member of congress - from the most liberal democrat to the most extreme conservative republican would agree that the legally system there is seriously flawed, to put it mildly. I thing almost everyone on the PLANET who isn't a Moslem would agree something is rotten in Somalia.