GOD IS IMPOSSIBLE

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
GOD IS IMPOSSIBLE

Nobody has ever been able to show that it is possible for God to exist, so the only rational thing to do is to presume that he cannot possibly exist.

For example, it is not considered possible for an ordinary ceramic coffee cup to become conscious and start talking to me. If I want to argue that my coffee cup could become conscious and start talking, then I would have to explain how that could be possible. How could my coffee cup remember things, how could it think, how could it be aware of its surroundings, how could ceramic move to speak, how could the sound of speech be produced by a ceramic coffee cup?

In exactly the same way, it is impossible for God to exist or to be conscious or to interact with the universe. If you want to rationally argue that it is possible for God to exist or be conscious or interact with the universe, then you need to explain how it could be possible. Why don't you start by explaining how God's mind operates - how can he think without a brain, or remember anything without a memory, or know anything without senses?

I do not need to know how an IC (internal combustion) engine operates to know that it’s possible for one to operate a car because you can show me one that is operating a car. However, if you claim that it is possible to produce a fusion power electrical generator from fruit salad to operate a car, then I am not going to believe that such a thing is possible, unless you either show it to me or you explain how it is possible.

If I see someone get in a car with a fruit salad and drive away, then I am not going to think that maybe he produced a fusion power generator from the fruit salad and that is how he is powering the car.

I am not even asking you for evidence that God exists - just show me evidence that God is even possible, and then we can discuss whether there is evidence of his existence.

Otherwise, we are going to have to presume that God is impossible just like my ceramic coffee cup becoming conscious and talking or a fusion generator made of fruit salad operating a car.

God is impossible and it is ludicrous to think that God could exist.

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are things that are

There are things that are logically possible that I can conceive of that are just so incredibly unlikely that we call them impossible. For example, the normal ceramic coffee cup on my desk can not begin thinking and start speaking to me like another person.

I do not agree that impossible should be defined to mean that something is absolutely certainly and infallibly not possible.

impossible is often defined as simply not possible.

Things that I consider impossible:

1) It is impossible for me to suddenly decide to go back in time because I have no idea how to do so.

2) It is impossible for me to get up from my desk now and run a 4 minute mile because I am out of shape and the fastest mile I ever ran was about 8 minutes.

3) It is impossible for a God to be infinite or be immaterial or be omnipotent or be omniscient or do magical things like create something from nothing, or telepathically read my thoughts.

Also, I think its reasonable to require that someone prove that something is possible before I believe that something is possible. The statement that "something is possible" should not be accepted as being true unless there is reasonable evidence that it is true.

when you say "faith" I think "evil lies"
when you say "god" I think "santa clause"