Isn't no theist topics an oxymoron, considering this is an a-theist website?

Pursuit_of_Ulti...
Theist
Pursuit_of_Ultimate_Truth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't no theist topics an oxymoron, considering this is an a-theist website?

Another thing, you have it so that this part of the form is called freethinking anonymous and yet you would block and kick etc any thoughts on existence. I'll be honest, me personally, I believe in mysticism, which is to say, I believe that there is a god, and I believe in christ, but I do NOT believe in christianity as it contradicts all of christ's teachings, and the christians themselves do this too. It's one big hippocritical joke in my oppinion...anyway, I digress.

I came here to ask what the atheist perspective is on how humans came to exist. I will not shoot you down, I will not tell you my way is right. All I want are oppinions so that I may better understand my own existence. Thanks for your freethinking. =]

{MOD EDIT: The rules are so simple, and yet...}

magilum
User is offlineOffline
It seems like you're the

It seems like you're the third to post this complaint in a week, and boy it's only gotten more original and fascinating to me personally. Please familiarize yourself with etymology. Knowing the history of words like "freethinking" will disabuse you of your claim to indignation.

EDIT: Also, you can't spell, and you look like a total douche.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Also, also, your presumption

Also, also, your presumption to know the character of Jesus, while rejecting the only avenue by which the character has reached you, is fucking hilarious. It's like saying Charlie Brown is great, but Peanuts is all wrong.

EDIT: Also!! Mysticism concerns whether a god can be dealt with directly. It's not another way of saying you believe in a god, or Jesus, or the Cookie Monster, or anyone else in your bastardized pantheon of fail.

MeshaM
MeshaM's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pursuit of Utlimate Truth?!?

Pursuit of Utlimate Truth?!?

If you're really interested in the truth and you really want to discuss on this forum and debate your ideas and those of others I would suggest reading hambydammit introduction to debating. This introduction is very helpful for those who are new to the forum and can be found by clicking the "RRS Authors" in the left screen.

Also, it might be useful to use the search function to see if the topic that you would like to start hasn't already been started in the past.

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them."

- Galileo Galilei -

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Another thing, you

Quote:
Another thing, you have it so that this part of the form is called freethinking anonymous and yet you would block and kick etc any thoughts on existence.

The term freethinker is commonly synonymous with agnostics/atheists, etc. As magilum stated, etymology.

Quote:
but I do NOT believe in christianity as it contradicts all of christ's teachings,

Do you believe in the Bible? Or, at least the New Testament?

Quote:
It's one big hippocritical joke in my oppinion.

Well, I hope that you'll answer our comments with an open mind and not be "hippocritical."

Quote:
I came here to ask what the atheist perspective is on how humans came to exist.

I hope you're not leading towards the, if we don't have a perfect answer then God must have done it, argument. 

Please note that atheism is just the lack of belief in a God. Atheism doesn't include any other beliefs. 

How did humans come to exist? Well, life probably originated through some form of abiogenesis.

The universe? I don't know.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pursuit_of_Ultimate_Truth

Pursuit_of_Ultimate_Truth wrote:

I want to point out that truth is simply truth; so "ultimate truth" is bombastic. Truth cannot be more truthful than itself.

Quote:
Another thing, you have it so that this part of the form is called freethinking anonymous and yet you would block and kick etc any thoughts on existence.

The subject of existence is discussed often.

Quote:
 I'll be honest, me personally, I believe in mysticism, which is to say, I believe that there is a god, and I believe in christ,

What is a god and what do you think christ is?

Quote:

Homo sapiens evolved.

Quote:
 All I want are oppinions so that I may better understand my own existence.

Opinions? I thought you wanted the truth.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Why does everybody get

Why does everybody get their panties in a bunch over FTA?  Seriously?  What possible harm is it to you that we have a forum where we just want to talk with people who agree with us?  We have how many forums where you can post?!

(The answer is all the rest.)

It's a club.  We have our own private clubhouse for members only.  That's all, dude.  Really.  It's not a big deal.

Quote:

The simplest answer is that they evolved from an ape-like ancestor.  Approximately 300,000 years ago, we see genetic evidence of a migration from Africa which is typically held to coincide with the origin of humans.  This is somewhat academic, of course, because there's no such thing as an exact moment when humans appeared on earth.  The change from pre-human to human was very gradual, over perhaps ten or twenty thousand generations.  We have ample fossil evidence to show that there were quite a few of human-like creatures who were not selected and became extinct.

Quote:
Genetic Distance Between Autochthonous Human Populations

"Genetic drift" is the phenomenon by which small mutations in DNA (or RNA, and the proteins that are coded by them) add random variations over time to genetic material, resulting in differences between isolated groups of animals, whether of different species or of the same species that are not inter-breeding. Thus there is about a 5% difference in DNA between humans and our closest Primate relations, Chimpanzees. Between human populations, there is always much less than 0.1% difference. What these differences are and how much they vary can be used to construct a tree showing the relationships between human populations. The following tree is the result of such research, reported by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza. The numbers across the top show the percentage difference in DNA, which is thus no more than 0.03% for all human beings. The most dramatic characteristic of the tree is the division between populations in sub-Saharan Africa and the rest of humanity. This is usually interpreted to mean that modern humans originated in Africa and that the population from which the rest of humanity descended left Africa somewhat less than 300,000 years ago, ultimately replacing earlier humans, like the Pithecanthropines (Homo erectus, like Peking Man, etc.), who had also evolved in Africa but left many thousands of years earlier.

Part of this research was the theory of "Eve," a single female in Africa, around 200,000 years ago, from whom every living human being is now descended. This does not mean that there were not other human females -- there were -- or that we are not descended from them too -- we are. The theory is based on the circumstance that some human genetic material is contained in the mitochondria, little organs in a cell outside the nucleus (where most genetic material is contained). Sperm cells do not pass on their mitochondria to a fertilzed egg and so all human mitochondrial DNA is inherited from the mother. If a woman has only sons (a highly desirable result in many traditional cultures), then her own mitochondrial DNA is actually lost. Over time, this seems to have happened to all lines of descent of mitochrondiral DNA, except one, the line from "Eve." Another interesting feature of the chart is the closeness of American Indians to modern population across Europe, the Middle East, and northern East Asia. Thus, curiously, Europeans are more closely related to American Indians than to Polynesians. Finally, it is noteworthy that skin color is not at all helpful is providing clues to genetic affinity. The darkest colored people on earth, in Africa, India, Melanesia, and Australia, are scattered between groups that are only distantly related. Dark skin color is certainly a function of living under the equatorial sun for many generations, but all human populations have the genetic wherewithal to make that adaptation.

http://www.friesian.com/trees.htm

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Forgot this chart:

Forgot this chart:

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Would all theists wanting to

Would all theists wanting to complain about the FTA forum please refer HERE.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Given the number of theist

Given the number of theist forums that ban atheists for simply introducing themselves as such, theists being unable to post in FTA is...what is the word...

Quibbling? Nitpicking? Making a mountain out of a molehill? Creating a tempest in a teapot? Whining about trivia? Kvetching?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Given the

jcgadfly wrote:

Given the number of theist forums that ban atheists for simply introducing themselves as such, theists being unable to post in FTA is...what is the word...

Quibbling? Nitpicking? Making a mountain out of a molehill? Creating a tempest in a teapot? Whining about trivia? Kvetching?

Yep! And goes back to their air of deserving, if not demanding, respect.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:*insert

Hambydammit wrote:
*insert stuff here*

Whoah, that was great Hamby.  Love the website linked to too.  Bookmarked for later reading.  Thanks. Smiling

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:and I believe in

Quote:
and I believe in christ, but I do NOT believe in christianity as it contradicts all of christ's teachings,

...Well, to be fair, it would be rather difficult for any organization to follow Christ's teachings to the letter in a modern, sane civilization. Jesus's suggestions are as follows:

* Love your enemies

* Sell your every possession

* Live in abject misery. Pleasure = Sin, and Sin = Burning forever in the Lake of Fire

* Disown your friends and family

* Mutilate yourself (sever your limbs and gouge-out your eyes, specifically) if you get sensual feelings for anyone

* Injest lethal toxins and grab wild snakes in order to demonstrate your faith, because neither thing will harm the faithful.

...Now, some people will shout in objection, 'Hey, now! Jesus just said that stuff metaphorically!', to which I will have to retort, 'Oh? Well, riddle me this, then: What the fuck does the metaphor mean, then? I'm really missing how telling people to gouge-out their eyes and cut-off their hands is an allegory.'

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Kevin R Brown wrote:I'm

Kevin R Brown wrote:
I'm really missing how telling people to gouge-out their eyes and cut-off their hands is an allegory.'

If I may play devil's advocate, Jesus probably didn't actually want his disciples to gouge out their eyes, but was exaggerating to emphasize the seriousness of sin. Unfortunately, this line of reasoning forces me to begin start the assumption that it is not to be taken literally, but this is a common refutation (albeit flawed) of the "cutting off hand" argument.   

edit:

Love your enemies: Christians don't follow this one, but it is actually the most rational one on the list. Compassion and selflessness.

Sell your every possession: Nobody does this either. Er......very few people do this. By ridding oneself of material things, it becomes easier to focus all attention on the lord.

Live in abject misery: Similar to the previous one. 

Injest lethal toxins and grab wild snakes in order to demonstrate your faith: This one is just insane. I think someone ended up on Darwin Awards by testing their faith. Aha!

http://DarwinAwards.com/darwin/darwin2006-02.html 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline

You are able to post your thoughts just not in EVERY forum on here. There are areas I can't post on, the mods have thier own private area, those hypocritical BASTARDS!

Quote:
It's one big hippocritical joke in my oppinion...anyway, I digress.

On this we agree, but I apply this statement to all mystical beliefs... not just the ones that don't apply to my particular *version* of mysticism.

You do yourself a great disservice by compartmentalizing your critical thought. Apply the same critical thought to your own beliefs that you do to Islam, Scientology, or any of the other thousand religious beliefs that aren't your own. I think you will find that your mystical beliefs have a great deal in common with everyone elses.

Hint: They are all made up

Quote:
I came here to ask what the atheist perspective is on how humans came to exist. I will not shoot you down, I will not tell you my way is right.

How humans "came to exist" eh? We were beamed here, from a space ship. Our alien overlords did it for reasons beyond our understanding and we dare not question their wisdom.

Educate yourself on evolution. Stop listening to people who believe in wizards and alternate dimensions. Those people are craaaaazyyyyy.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish

marcusfish wrote:

You are able to post your thoughts just not in EVERY forum on here. There are areas I can't post on, the mods have thier own private area, those hypocritical BASTARDS!

We don't get enough time to talk to each other there. We're busy out here stirring up trouble and directing the Evil Atheist Conspiracy and running our 'cult'.  MUA-HA-HA.

If creationists watch The Flintstones and think it is a documentary then I wonder if mystics watch The Wizard of Oz for the same reason?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:marcusfish

darth_josh wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

We don't get enough time to talk to each other there. We're busy out here stirring up trouble and directing the Evil Atheist Conspiracy and running our 'cult'.  MUA-HA-HA.

If creationists watch The Flintstones and think it is a documentary then I wonder if mystics watch The Wizard of Oz for the same reason?

I thought you lot watched "Zardoz" as a documentary! Sticking out tongue

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Love your enemies:

Quote:
Love your enemies: Christians don't follow this one, but it is actually the most rational one on the list. Compassion and selflessness.

Really? I think it's as equally insane as the others (and, obviously, quite contradictory. People I've labelled as my enemies are generally people I have no desire to associate with, much less love). Consider: is it reasonable for me to command you to extend your love and compassion to, say, Charles Manson? Ted Bundy? Joseph Stalin? *Insert other notorious sociopath here*?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Pursuit_of_Ulti...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I came here for a rational response

magilum wrote:

Also, also, your presumption to know the character of Jesus, while rejecting the only avenue by which the character has reached you, is fucking hilarious. It's like saying Charlie Brown is great, but Peanuts is all wrong.

EDIT: Also!! Mysticism concerns whether a god can be dealt with directly. It's not another way of saying you believe in a god, or Jesus, or the Cookie Monster, or anyone else in your bastardized pantheon of fail.

I've noticed there are 3 types of atheists in general: atheists who believe in atheism from a scientific perspective (personally, I like these ones because they are smart, rational, and give you good answers to questions). Then there are atheists who choose to be because god wasnt there for them, so therefore god doesnt exist (this one is a tad annoying, but w/e...your oppinion), and then there are atheists who choose to be atheists to appear "unique" and to rebel, which makes up a good chunk of you. For all of you who are too fucking stupid to explain to me how humans came to exist, then please shut the fuck up and stop trying to find flaws with my beliefs.

I came here to learn about YOUR beliefs, not to have you pick holes in mine. As for me believing in christ but not christianity, there are TONS of parts that contradict jesus' teachings (eg. all gays will be damned to hell. Do you really think christ, who spent his time with the beggers, prostitutes and theives would turn his back on gay people? Thats the biggest joke ever).

Anyway, I cam here to talk to rational thinkers, not trolls. And magilum, I chose the pursuit of ultimate truth as my name, because I have asked varied sources such as the creationists, the atheists, the catholics and evolutionists all on their beliefs. What about your name? Isnt that the name of an f***ing pokemon? Why don't you tell me something relevent instead of being a little bitch and hiding behind the flaws in christianity and mysticism.

(PS. You say I look like a douchebag, yet you're too much of a fucking coward to post your own picture)

Pursuit_of_Ulti...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Did I even once mention specifically what I believed in?

JillSwift wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

I thought you lot watched "Zardoz" as a documentary! Sticking out tongue

May I ask you when I ever mentioned I believed in wizards and other dimensions? I don't remember this at all. Is there an atheist on this site who honestly has even ONE thing to say as to their own philisophical beliefs and such on atheism? Or did all of you only become atheists because you had a personal vendetta against religion?

What is your personal view on existence? If there isn't a god, what specifically do you believe the purpose of existence is? Who determines what is right and wrong?

(Please don't quote me as closely as a creationist would quote the bible. By quoting me you're only proving that you're too stupid to come up with your own philisophical beliefs that you have to immediately attacking mine. Personally, I would like to assume that most of you are relatively smart, so please give me an intelligent answer this time. Thank you).

Pursuit_of_Ulti...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
and I believe in christ, but I do NOT believe in christianity as it contradicts all of christ's teachings,

...Well, to be fair, it would be rather difficult for any organization to follow Christ's teachings to the letter in a modern, sane civilization. Jesus's suggestions are as follows:

* Love your enemies

* Sell your every possession

* Live in abject misery. Pleasure = Sin, and Sin = Burning forever in the Lake of Fire

* Disown your friends and family

* Mutilate yourself (sever your limbs and gouge-out your eyes, specifically) if you get sensual feelings for anyone

* Injest lethal toxins and grab wild snakes in order to demonstrate your faith, because neither thing will harm the faithful.

...Now, some people will shout in objection, 'Hey, now! Jesus just said that stuff metaphorically!', to which I will have to retort, 'Oh? Well, riddle me this, then: What the fuck does the metaphor mean, then? I'm really missing how telling people to gouge-out their eyes and cut-off their hands is an allegory.'

Rofl, I like you kevin. This actually made me laugh because you got a point on how stupid it must sound (think about the creationists however who take this stuff literally...you got to check out one of their sites sometime. You of all people might definitely get a good laugh out of how literal those people take stuff).

Now I'd like to break down christ's reasoning on this, in MY interpretation (which is to say, not everyone believes this, nor do I expect everyone to. This is just how I personally interpret it):

*Love your enemies

Explanation: Why would god want you to love your enemies? Well, so that those who followed him wouldnt go off and kill one another aswell as start wars, which was so abundant back then as well as today(the joke is the holy wars, as people fight wars in christ's name. I wonder how he would feel knowing this...lol).

*Love your enemies

As I can recall, it was love your friends and your enemies. My interpretation to this is because if you choose to retaliate, you only start more conflict which escalates into things far worse (Personally though, I dont always follow this one as you can probably tell. Alas though, I am not perfect).

*Live in abject misery

I don't remember anywhere where it says live your life miserably. I do remember however where it says not to sin such as to kill and such. Hmmm, ever wonder why THAT one is so important? lol. As for hell, I don't personally believe such a place exists. Hell was created originally as a fear tactic to prevent people from sinning (In that respect, if I believed in hell, God would be like santa. If you're bad you get coal, if you're good you get a present...woohoo...-_-;...)

*Disown your friends and family

WHEN did jesus say that? Please tell me, I'm very curious. I don't remember anywhere where he said to do that, as he personally loved all his disciples, therefore jesus himself would be breaking this rule.

*Mutilate yourself

Again, I know this was in the bible, but it wasn't jesus who specifically said it. I can remember in the new testament it saying it is better to be alone then with someone, but if you can't handle solitude, go get married. (These small things don't really concern my own personal beliefs as the dogma in christianity poisons it; karma should be the real foundation for it).

o_O;...Wha? Personally that sounds like that line is from the old testament (which isn't worth the paper it's printed on), but assuming it's from the new testament, I would assume that all this section is trying to say is that if you think of from the old testament that the devil was a snake, and the poison from his fangs was sin, then this section is saying that no matter how much others sin against you, as long as you stay faithful, nothing will harm you (from a spiritual perspective, not literally...jeez...o_O;...). Anyway, either that's from the old testament which is mostly b***sh**, or it's from the new testament, and it was written by one of christ's followers but not from his lips. If Christ himself said this, please send me the section. =]

Anyway, these are only my interpretations. I follow the bible loosely, as only a small portion of it actually explains what jesus himself actually said. Most of it is just recycled dogma, thousands of years old.

Pursuit_of_Ulti...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for your contribution on the atheist belief =]

Hambydammit wrote:

Why does everybody get their panties in a bunch over FTA?  Seriously?  What possible harm is it to you that we have a forum where we just want to talk with people who agree with us?  We have how many forums where you can post?!

(The answer is all the rest.)

It's a club.  We have our own private clubhouse for members only.  That's all, dude.  Really.  It's not a big deal.

Quote:

The simplest answer is that they evolved from an ape-like ancestor.  Approximately 300,000 years ago, we see genetic evidence of a migration from Africa which is typically held to coincide with the origin of humans.  This is somewhat academic, of course, because there's no such thing as an exact moment when humans appeared on earth.  The change from pre-human to human was very gradual, over perhaps ten or twenty thousand generations.  We have ample fossil evidence to show that there were quite a few of human-like creatures who were not selected and became extinct.

Quote:
Genetic Distance Between Autochthonous Human Populations

"Genetic drift" is the phenomenon by which small mutations in DNA (or RNA, and the proteins that are coded by them) add random variations over time to genetic material, resulting in differences between isolated groups of animals, whether of different species or of the same species that are not inter-breeding. Thus there is about a 5% difference in DNA between humans and our closest Primate relations, Chimpanzees. Between human populations, there is always much less than 0.1% difference. What these differences are and how much they vary can be used to construct a tree showing the relationships between human populations. The following tree is the result of such research, reported by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza. The numbers across the top show the percentage difference in DNA, which is thus no more than 0.03% for all human beings. The most dramatic characteristic of the tree is the division between populations in sub-Saharan Africa and the rest of humanity. This is usually interpreted to mean that modern humans originated in Africa and that the population from which the rest of humanity descended left Africa somewhat less than 300,000 years ago, ultimately replacing earlier humans, like the Pithecanthropines (Homo erectus, like Peking Man, etc.), who had also evolved in Africa but left many thousands of years earlier.

Part of this research was the theory of "Eve," a single female in Africa, around 200,000 years ago, from whom every living human being is now descended. This does not mean that there were not other human females -- there were -- or that we are not descended from them too -- we are. The theory is based on the circumstance that some human genetic material is contained in the mitochondria, little organs in a cell outside the nucleus (where most genetic material is contained). Sperm cells do not pass on their mitochondria to a fertilzed egg and so all human mitochondrial DNA is inherited from the mother. If a woman has only sons (a highly desirable result in many traditional cultures), then her own mitochondrial DNA is actually lost. Over time, this seems to have happened to all lines of descent of mitochrondiral DNA, except one, the line from "Eve." Another interesting feature of the chart is the closeness of American Indians to modern population across Europe, the Middle East, and northern East Asia. Thus, curiously, Europeans are more closely related to American Indians than to Polynesians. Finally, it is noteworthy that skin color is not at all helpful is providing clues to genetic affinity. The darkest colored people on earth, in Africa, India, Melanesia, and Australia, are scattered between groups that are only distantly related. Dark skin color is certainly a function of living under the equatorial sun for many generations, but all human populations have the genetic wherewithal to make that adaptation.

Thank you!! Finaaaaaaally. Thank you very much, now I have somewhere to start researching.

Much Obliged,

Thanks Hamby =]

http://www.friesian.com/trees.htm

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline

May I ask you when I ever mentioned I believed in wizards and other dimensions? I don't remember this at all. Is there an atheist on this site who honestly has even ONE thing to say as to their own philisophical beliefs and such on atheism? Or did all of you only become atheists because you had a personal vendetta against religion?
I was teasing darth_josh, hon. No one is claiming you mentioned wizards or "other dimensions".

What is your personal view on existence? If there isn't a god, what specifically do you believe the purpose of existence is? Who determines what is right and wrong?
Existence has no intrinsic purpose. Morality is determined in part by our genes (we instinctively gather in groups, make hierarchies, and treat members of that group well to maintain group cohesion - all as a survival strategy) and in part by zeitgeist.

(Please don't quote me as closely as a creationist would quote the bible. By quoting me you're only proving that you're too stupid to come up with your own philisophical beliefs that you have to immediately attacking mine. Personally, I would like to assume that most of you are relatively smart, so please give me an intelligent answer this time. Thank you).
Don't mistake contradiction for an attack.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Badbark
User is offlineOffline

WHEN did jesus say that? Please tell me, I'm very curious. I don't remember anywhere where he said to do that, as he personally loved all his disciples, therefore jesus himself would be breaking this rule.

Have you ever read the bible? I mean all of it from start to finish? I have and it's a great way to turn someone from Christianity to athiesm.

Mathew

10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me

19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

(Mark 10:29-30 says much the same.)

Luke

14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

{fixed aiia}

MeshaM
MeshaM's picture
User is offlineOffline
Normal 0

Pursuit of ultimate truth wrote:

I've noticed there are 3 types of atheists in general: atheists who believe in atheism from a scientific perspective (personally, I like these ones because they are smart, rational, and give you good answers to questions). Then there are atheists who choose to be because god wasnt there for them, so therefore god doesnt exist (this one is a tad annoying, but w/e...your oppinion), and then there are atheists who choose to be atheists to appear "unique" and to rebel, which makes up a good chunk of you. For all of you who are too fucking stupid to explain to me how humans came to exist, then please shut the fuck up and stop trying to find flaws with my beliefs.

Don’t be so arrogant as to think that you can decide the motivations of those who you do not even know. You can state what you observe and what you conclude, but stating something as a fact because you’ve “noticed” it doesn’t make it so.

You might have “noticed” the URL of this forum, it contains the word rational and it is quite descriptive of what it is we do at this forum. Don’t complain if somebody breaks your argument down to assumptions and other flaws in your argumentation, that’s what we do here.

Please, read the introduction to formal debating as written by Hambydammit so that you know why people debate here and how they’re trying to achieve that goal.  If you just start a post without reading the forum it kinda makes you look like a.. ehm.. douchebag!

Pursuit of Ultimate Truth wrote:

…… Is there an atheist on this site who honestly has even ONE thing to say as to their own philisophical beliefs and such on atheism? Or did all of you only become atheists because you had a personal vendetta against religion?

What do you mean by “their own philosophical beliefs… on atheism”? If you would like to know why some of us here are atheists, I can only answer for myself:

I’m an atheist because I lack a belief in a God.

Basically it’s that simple, I do not have a grudge against religion or any God(s) or anything like that. I have never ever, seen any evidence whatsoever that would proof the existence of a “God”. However, I do not deny the existence of a God, because non-existence cannot be proven of anything, so some might consider me to be agnostic.

Why do you assume that there is a purpose to existence?  Unless you provide us with proof of that claim it’s just another assumption. Right and wrong are human constructs, so by definition humans will decide what is right and wrong.

… Why would god want you to love your enemies? Well, so that those who followed him wouldnt go off and kill one another aswell as start wars, which was so abundant back then as well as today(the joke is the holy wars, as people fight wars in christ's name. I wonder how he would feel knowing this...lol).

Did your God tell you this in a dream or a vision? Because I can’t really find anything other then assumptions and base-less assertions for evidence.  (if you refer on the Bible, quote it)

*Love your enemies

As I can recall, it was love your friends and your enemies. My interpretation to this is because if you choose to retaliate, you only start more conflict which escalates into things far worse (Personally though, I dont always follow this one as you can probably tell. Alas though, I am not perfect).

Your interpretation of what? Please provide us with information of how you come to these conclusions. I’m not really interested in what you think, I’m more interested in the method involved and the reasoning that occurs before conclusions.

{fixed aiia}

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them."

- Galileo Galilei -

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline

What is your personal view on existence?

The answer is in the question. Each of us has a "personal view" of existence, as that is all we have. It is difficult to muster enough empathy to understand another person's emotions. It's damned near impossible to grok another person. All we really have is our personal view, and what little we can glean from movies, books, stories, songs, conversations, and so on.

Quote:

If there isn't a god, what specifically do you believe the purpose of existence is?

The purpose of existence is simply existence. "Existence" is a fact. We exist. "Purpose" is a human-centric word. A loaded word. The purpose of a hammer is to drive nails, and smash rocks, and tear down walls, and occasionally to stave in skulls. The "purpose" is simply the use to which it is put.

As I don't believe in God, I don't believe there is an external purpose. So, it is up to me to determine how to apply myself, how to make myself useful. This is accomplished partly by applying my mad, mad skillz as an uber-geek; partly by assisting others in making themselves useful; and partly just by having fun.

Quote:

Who determines what is right and wrong?

We all do. It is up to us to come up with rules that make sense to our culture, and to enforce those rules.

Consider: I feel strongly that a life is more worthwhile when that life is enjoyable. The way to maximize my own enjoyment of life in the long term is to ensure that society is stable, that the rules are not overly-onerous, that others don't work to undermine the enjoyment of life of others, and by ensuring that as many people as possible also enjoy their own lives. This simple set of guidelines could be used to develop a coherent and practical set of rules that would allow society to prosper, and individuals to live enjoyably.

Or, more simply: right and wrong is only derived from our own social organization. We need no external fount of morality.

Quote:

Intelligent answers usually start from intelligent questions.

If some folks here seem a little hasty in judgement, or a little harsh in their response, it's because we've seen the same three or four kinds of arguments from theists. It gets old after a while. A little tedious, perhaps.

As for quoting you: this proves no-one's stupidity, unless you say something stupid. If you are careful in your arguments, and consistent in your writings, you should have no fear of your words being turned against you.

On the other hand, if you are sloppy in your thinking, or contradictory in your statements, your quotes can and will be used against you in a court of law. Or in the forums. Whichever.

Anyway, good luck. Follow through on links given, especially those from folks like DeludedGod or Hamby or Bob Spence. There are some smart cookies here.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

You didn't mention wizards. I mentioned The Wizard of Oz because it was relevant. (i.e. The wizard was fake, but witches had powers) You see we have people come here every day telling us that "This thing is fake, but this is real." and I like to test out new methods of pointing out how it all sounds to me.

P.o.u.T wrote:
What is your personal view on existence?

I breathe and wish to continue doing so.

P.o.u.T wrote:
If there isn't a god, what specifically do you believe the purpose of existence is?

Does there need to be a 'purpose'?

P.o.u.T wrote:
Who determines what is right and wrong?

Since you don't determine what is right for me, I don't determine what is right for you, and other people TRY to tell us only what is wrong without presenting any argument as to why... then I'm going to have to say NO ONE.

P.o.u.T wrote:

And if you presented yourself to yourself as you did in your initial post how would you have treated you?

Trust me. The responders are being nice in this thread and I commend them for their efforts to accommodate new posters such as yourself.

[edit: spelling]

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline

Or did all of you only become atheists because you had a personal vendetta against religion?

*rolls eyes*

Just a heads up: this line of reasoning about "why people are atheists" is made up directly from religious persons. A religious person cannot, or rather will not, grasp why someone would not believe in god(s). They have to find some gentle rationale that does not mention "thought", "reason", or "logic". So instead they try to attach the phenomenon to a demeaning ideas mainly centered around childish emotions and random juvenile behavior.

It's not likely that a person considers the supernatural and comes to the conclusion that it's just made up nonsense. Right? 

All of these things are imaginary constructs. Ideas like "purpose" and "right and wrong" are merely terms to classify a series of activities. When we give them some kind of magical power we are just making shit up. Use your critical thinking skills and answer these questions for yourself. What is the most likely, reasonable answer to these questions? You will likely come up with the same answers as everyone else.

and then there are atheists who choose to be atheists to appear "unique" and to rebel, which makes up a good chunk of you.

Do thrill me with how you came to this knowledge. From your own extensive personal experience with your "atheist" buddies?

For all of you who are too fucking stupid to explain to me how humans came to exist

You may not find the descriptions you are looking for. Is that part of your frustration? Not to be dismissive, but read a book on evolution (not written by people who believe in wizards and alternate dimensions). That will help clarify how people "came do be". Hamby might be patient enough to break it down for you (if you catch him on a good day) but a lot of folks aren't going to do your homework for you.

Read about it. Learn for yourself. You'd be amazed what you might find.

Calling people stupid when they haven't been is probably not a very constructive approach. People haven't answered in the way that you may have hoped, but that might really have more to do with your assumptions than it does anyone else's reactions to you.

please shut the fuck up and stop trying to find flaws with my beliefs.

Sorry camper, you might take a look at the website you are posting your thoughts on. This is not a place where you can drop in an "I believe" and think that will cover it. Discussing what you believe, while interesting to some, doesn't really afford us any constructive argument to discuss. What is most interesting is "how did you come to this belief?" and "what evidence/reason can you provide to validate your ideas?"

If you're not interested in answering or discussing these questions you may want to reconsider engaging us in conversation.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline

For all of you who are too fucking stupid to explain to me how humans came to exist, then please shut the fuck up and stop trying to find flaws with my beliefs.

It is not our job to explain human evolution to you. People who lack an understanding of human evolution are uneducated, not stupid. There are smart people who have never studied genetics or physical anthropology and there are stupid people who have an understanding of human origins.

This is for the most part a debate forum. If you really wanted information on human evolution you should have made a thread requesting such information. I highly recommend going to http://www.talkorigins.org/ if you have questions about evolution. We are going to nitpick your beliefs and statements, that's what happens on a forum like this. I have accepted that anytime I post something on this forum there is the possibility that someone will call me out on any bullshit assertions I have made.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:*Love your

Quote:

*Love your enemies

Explanation: Why would god want you to love your enemies? Well, so that those who followed him wouldnt go off and kill one another aswell as start wars, which was so abundant back then as well as today(the joke is the holy wars, as people fight wars in christ's name. I wonder how he would feel knowing this...lol).

*Love your enemies

Luke 6: 27-28

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those that hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Your interpretation is mistaken. He wants you to love people who wish to harm you.

Quote:

*Live in abject misery

I don't remember anywhere where it says live your life miserably. I do remember however where it says not to sin such as to kill and such. Hmmm, ever wonder why THAT one is so important? lol. As for hell, I don't personally believe such a place exists. Hell was created originally as a fear tactic to prevent people from sinning (In that respect, if I believed in hell, God would be like santa. If you're bad you get coal, if you're good you get a present...woohoo...-_-;...)

Luke 14: 26-33

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple... And in the same way, any of you who does not give up eveything he has cannot be my disciple.

Says it right there. You've got to hate your own life, and you cannot have anything of worth within it.

Quote:

Luke 14: 26-33

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple... And in the same way,any of you who does not give up eveything he has cannot be my disciple.

...Someone must've skipped-over Luke. Sticking out tongue

Quote:

*Mutilate yourself

Again, I know this was in the bible, but it wasn't jesus who specifically said it. I can remember in the new testament it saying it is better to be alone then with someone, but if you can't handle solitude, go get married. (These small things don't really concern my own personal beliefs as the dogma in christianity poisons it; karma should be the real foundation for it).

Matthew 5: 27-30

You have heard it was said, 'Do not commit adultery'. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into Hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into Hell.

Yes, this is specifically said by Jesus (well, in the literary sense). He also mentions Hell as a real place; how do you reconcile not believing in Hell with believing in Jesus, when he clearly states Hell as being a real place?

Quote:

o_O;...Wha? Personally that sounds like that line is from the old testament (which isn't worth the paper it's printed on), but assuming it's from the new testament, I would assume that all this section is trying to say is that if you think of from the old testament that the devil was a snake, and the poison from his fangs was sin, then this section is saying that no matter how much others sin against you, as long as you stay faithful, nothing will harm you (from a spiritual perspective, not literally...jeez...o_O;...). Anyway, either that's from the old testament which is mostly b***sh**, or it's from the new testament, and it was written by one of christ's followers but not from his lips. If Christ himself said this, please send me the section. =]

Mark 16: 17-18

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all: they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.

John 6: 53-54

I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. <-- Jesus is fucking whack!

Again, right out of Jesus's mouth. Definitely not OT.

...Have you not been reading your Bible, son? Sticking out tongue

Quote:
Anyway, these are only my interpretations. I follow the bible loosely, as only a small portion of it actually explains what jesus himself actually said. Most of it is just recycled dogma, thousands of years old.

...Did you know Jesus personally or some shit, then? I mean, how the Hell would you know anything about Jesus at all other than through this moldy old tome of wonders?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

magilum
User is offlineOffline

magilum wrote:

Hi, Pursuit. I'm glad to see that I haven't mistakenly alienated someone I could have learned something from. Your taxonomy of atheist personalities was good for a chuckle.

I came here to learn about YOUR beliefs, not to have you pick holes in mine. As for me believing in christ but not christianity, there are TONS of parts that contradict jesus' teachings (eg. all gays will be damned to hell. Do you really think christ, who spent his time with the beggers, prostitutes and theives would turn his back on gay people? Thats the biggest joke ever).

I must have missed the part where "Jesus's teachings" were recorded outside the sphere of Christianity by his contemporaries.

Anyway, I cam here to talk to rational thinkers, not trolls. And magilum, I chose the pursuit of ultimate truth as my name, because I have asked varied sources such as the creationists, the atheists, the catholics and evolutionists all on their beliefs. What about your name? Isnt that the name of an f***ing pokemon? Why don't you tell me something relevent instead of being a little bitch and hiding behind the flaws in christianity and mysticism.

Just, LOL.

(PS. You say I look like a douchebag, yet you're too much of a fucking coward to post your own picture)

Sorry to deny you your pithy rebuttal. FYI, friends don't let friends get cupie doll hair.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Huzzah, the awkward looking

Huzzah, the awkward looking teenager has responded. Here, enjoy.

I've noticed there are 3 types of atheists in general: atheists who believe in atheism from a scientific perspective (personally, I like these ones because they are smart, rational, and give you good answers to questions). Then there are atheists who choose to be because god wasnt there for them, so therefore god doesnt exist (this one is a tad annoying, but w/e...your oppinion), and then there are atheists who choose to be atheists to appear "unique" and to rebel, which makes up a good chunk of you.

You are simply describing the characteristics of different possible belief categories. These are not inherent in the definition of atheism.

Quote:
For all of you who are too fucking stupid to explain to me how humans came to exist, then please shut the fuck up and stop trying to find flaws with my beliefs.

Your religion professes to know how humans came to exist without any evidence. Science cannot jump to conclusions because science is rational, it is honest about what humanity understands and doesn't understand. And, please don't tell us to shut up; how pointless is that? 

Quote:
I came here to learn about YOUR beliefs, not to have you pick holes in mine.

We don't officially agree on anything except that we are rational and lack a belief in God. Aside from that, everyone here possesses different beliefs. 

Quote:
As for me believing in christ but not christianity, there are TONS of parts that contradict jesus' teachings (eg. all gays will be damned to hell. Do you really think christ, who spent his time with the beggers, prostitutes and theives would turn his back on gay people? Thats the biggest joke ever).

Ah, so you pick and choose. 

Quote:
Anyway, I cam here to talk to rational thinkers, not trolls. And magilum, I chose the pursuit of ultimate truth as my name, because I have asked varied sources such as the creationists, the atheists, the catholics and evolutionists all on their beliefs.

Well, you should continue to pursue the truth.

Quote:
What about your name? Isnt that the name of an f***ing pokemon? Why don't you tell me something relevent instead of being a little bitch and hiding behind the flaws in christianity and mysticism.

This has no relevant content whatsoever.

So, you follow Jesus, right? Do you...

-sell everything?

-hate your family?

-gouge your eyes out when you look at a woman lustfully?

Would you....

-Drink poison to show your faith in God?

-Put your kids to death when they disrespect you?

If you don't accept all of these rules, then you have failed to follow Jesus and you are going to hell!

Quote:

This is preference, not fear. Again, completely irrelevant.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

May I ask you when I ever mentioned I believed in wizards and other dimensions? I don't remember this at all.

They weren't talking about your beliefs.

Quote:
Is there an atheist on this site who honestly has even ONE thing to say as to their own philisophical beliefs and such on atheism? Or did all of you only become atheists because you had a personal vendetta against religion?

My beliefs and opinions...

-Agnostic atheist. Secularism. Humanism. Moderate libertarian, possibly. 

-Every luxury we have comes from science; it is the fountain of knowledge for mankind because it investigates to world to establish what we know and what we can know. 

-Religion, on the other hand, is a substitute for knowledge. It blindly fills in every gap.

-Whenever science gains new understanding of the world, it collides with religion, and we can observe, time and time again, that religion will plug its ears and tell lies to keep the status quo.  

-Religion is inherently destructive and has a negative influence upon society because, by its very nature, it shuns rational thought and preaches fundamentalism.

-Islam is the most dangerous. Blowing yourself up in a crowd of people gets you 72 virgins in heaven. Scientology probably comes in second. We must pay The Church of Scientology hundreds of thousands of dollars to rid our bodies of alien souls.

-The Bible contains some good lessons, just like most religious scriptures, but it's obviously fictitious and full of abominations, contradictions, and bullshit.  

-Jesus probably didn't exist. If he did, he was just a man.

Quote:
If there isn't a god, what specifically do you believe the purpose of existence is? Who determines what is right and wrong?

Try this article

http://www.rationalresponders.com/new_atheists_really_all_there 

Quote:
(Please don't quote me as closely as a creationist would quote the bible. By quoting me you're only proving that you're too stupid to come up with your own philisophical beliefs that you have to immediately attacking mine.

Sorry, non sequitur. But, I have outlines some of my beliefs above. You can attack them if you want and see how far you get.

Quote:
Personally, I would like to assume that most of you are relatively smart, so please give me an intelligent answer this time. Thank you).

Is this intelligent?