People and Power - Iraqi Prisons

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
People and Power - Iraqi Prisons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuX_iN8PLIw

People & Power examines the US military's detention policies in Iraq.

We are locking people up, not for criminal behavior but for the possibility that they might commit a crime in the future, a standard under which everyone is a criminal. Once swept up into this system, there is no way out. You can be arrested, imprisoned, and tortured to insanity for no reason what so ever, and Americans wonder why we are so hated. How can conservatives defend this? This has been going on for years, is fairly well known about and absolutely nothing has been done about it. Along with the nearly six years that we have been in Iraq, paying contractors to ship sand to Iraq, blow up trucks that they bought for 3 times the market price, and pay people six figures of tax payer money to do laundry. This is criminal and nothing has changed or improved at all. I am ashamed to be an American.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
http://www.nationalpriorities

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/costofwar_home

Consider the costs...

• $4,681 per household.
  • $1,721 per person.
  • $341.4 million per day.

http://zfacts.com/p/447.html

The US budget for Iraq in FY 2007 came to $4,988 / per Iraqi. This is triple Iraq's per-person GDP. It's like spending $121,000 per person ($484,000 per family of 4) in the US. Why not just bribe the whole country?  (I'm saying how it must seem to Iraqis.

Think how it would be if some other planet invaded the U.S. and spent $121,000 per American per year to straighten out our country. We'd say—Just give us the money and we'll do it ourselves."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
You know I feel like being a

You know I feel like being a complete and utter bitch and stirring up a shit storm.

If the terrorists are indeed being driven by Islamic fundamentalsim, then what is wrong with this policy? I mean they all want 72 virgins and ergo could strap bombs to themselves. Even so since Islam is so dangerous aren't we doing a world a favour by treating them like this? I mean they're doing it because of their religion right? So anyone holding this religious view is dangerous right?

Oh and could, you know, these types of policies perhaps maybe influence the terrorists more than any quote in the Qu'ran ever could?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So sign up Cpt , a rifle in

So sign up Cpt , a rifle in you hand .... go get em, kill em, fuck diplomay ... is that what you are saying ????  Hey, just Nuke them all, fuck the kids, trees, and lizarads, over there.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:So

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

So sign up Cpt , a rifle in you hand .... go get em, kill em, fuck diplomay ... is that what you are saying ????  Hey, just Nuke them all, fuck the kids, trees, and lizarads, over there.

No, IAGAY, what I'm saying is that since it's their religion, and their faith is the driving force of their actions and since faith does not respond to reason, then how will we deal with them?

I mean they strap bombs to themselves and hijack planes and I don't think that getting them to stop would be sending them copies of the God Delusion. 

So if it is indeed their faith that drives them to these actions we're fucked unless we use this type of force.

Or you know, maybe we can get to the actual reasons that they attack us ( abu gurab/ Guantinimo anyone? Oh wait I forgot, it's their religion that makes them think the U.S is oppressing Arabs where would they get that crazy idea?) and maybe resolve the conflict.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
except that

Not everyone caught is Islamic, not everyone imprisoned has done anything wrong, not everyone imprisoned believes that killing is the way to go. Beyond that part it only violates a wee bit of international law...just a wee bit. I mean fuck with that mentality, why not start arresting Arabs, they are Muslims right? Arrest them all, hey fuck that Chinese have Muslims as well might as well arrest them too, shit there are Anglo Saxons that are Muslims, fuck lets arrest Caucasians as well. The reason is that it is very counter productive, costs the states far too much money (wanna see that states go like the former USSR....keep this war going, it's how the afghanis rebels beat the Russians, made them spend so much money they went bankrupt....oh wait lets forget about history here).

Doing this goes against everything the US is supposed to stand for, as such, if your going to be hypocritical, don't be amazed that you make more enemies than friends in the end.

Want to know a few reasons why they attacked the US. Ok here is a few, the US helped Osama bin laden and his rebels fight the Russians, made a few promises...when the Russians where beat, they fucked off and left him high and dry. The American Foreign policy towards Israel is another issue that bin laden has with them, plus their continual presence in Saudi Arabia (Bin Ladens birth country) which has continues after the first gulf war, which if you like you can do some research of the fatwa issued in 1996 and 1998 by bin laden regarding the US. But hey it's their religion only...US is completely innocent of this, it had no reason to be attacked at all, it was completely out of the blue no one had any idea at all (not that I am saying that the this should have happened as it should have been a military complexed attack and not innocent civilians, but again it is a dispute as the US has attacked civilian locations in the past and this is another issue bin laden has). Come on stop being fucking ignorant.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:No,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No, IAGAY, what I'm saying is that since it's their religion, and their faith is the driving force of their actions and since faith does not respond to reason, then how will we deal with them?

I mean they strap bombs to themselves and hijack planes and I don't think that getting them to stop would be sending them copies of the God Delusion. 

So if it is indeed their faith that drives them to these actions we're fucked unless we use this type of force.

Or you know, maybe we can get to the actual reasons that they attack us ( abu gurab/ Guantinimo anyone? Oh wait I forgot, it's their religion that makes them think the U.S is oppressing Arabs where would they get that crazy idea?) and maybe resolve the conflict.

You're mistaken here. Religion is not the primal cause. In 10th century they had religion, and yet the arabian world was a bastion of sciences, philosophy and culture.
It is not their faith that drives them into fight. Look at American Christians, even fundies, they have faith too, but they won't abandon their families and homes and won't blow up themselves to hurt the infidels somehow.
The reason why the islamic terrorists does that is, because their families are killed, their homes burned and they doesn't have any other means how to get the explosives to the enemy. This is very unfortunate, and so they use Prophet's words as an excuse and relief, but so would do Christians with Old Testament, being in the same situation.
There is more than 2 billion of people in the world, who are in danger by war, hunger and diseases, and our extremely rich, powerful side of the world says, 'give it up.' Well, but they can't give it up. Anything, but that.

The real terrorists are in America, Europe and Asia, the people who holds the money and power, who rides this dead horse of competitive economics. They compete with undeveloped economies, who always loses with them. There is no such thing as a free market, there is a superior buying power, which controls a less powerful areas of the world and strips everything valuable off them. There is so many of weaker victims, because the competitive economics makes only some rich, and a lot of the poor. The robbed nations who objects, are then portrayed in media as full of terrorists, a people who have no reason to be mean to us, and this allows us to return them their stolen wealth in form of bullets and bombs. The wealth is wasted in the process, but the control over the poor world was defended for one more day. A few ragged men with bombs and kalashnikovs doesn't kill several tenths of thousands people per day just by hunger. The men in suits do.

Perhaps you want to discuss another disinformation, that the world is overpopulated and there is not enough food for everyone, so the war is actually good?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Perhaps you

Luminon wrote:

Perhaps you want to discuss another disinformation, that the world is overpopulated and there is not enough food for everyone, so the war is actually good?

nah leave that issue for later.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah latin and luminon.

Yeah latin and luminon. Imperialism greed has always been brutal, and so it is obviously hated.

Cpt, making the writing such as "The God Delusion" available worldwide is a big part of the cure. It's open communication all the world needs, which is true diplomacy. War results from non communication and separatism thinking as history obviously reveals.

Imperialism is War.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." ~  Lucius Annaeus Seneca