Heading Down South...

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heading Down South...

I will be in Florida during the November 4 US election.  I'll be in Fort Lauderdale and then Tampa (for a conference).  I didn't realize until a week ago that the election would coincide with my trip.

What, if anything, should I expect to be the predominant atmosphere while I'm there?  I find myself suddenly apprehensive of going on a trip that I've been waiting for for months.  I just want to enjoy the summertime-like weather and the shopping (which won't be much the way the loonie's gone) and not the the vague idea of turmoil I expect the election will bring.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a strange year.

This is a strange year. Emotions are higher than they were even in 2004, I think.

But, for the most part, folks will spend the 4th waiting in line to vote (not me-- early voting, suckas!), sitting at home or in a pub/bar/saloon watching the news, or generally ignoring it.

If Obama wins, there will be many, many celebrations. I expect some fisticuffs, as well, as people who *really* believe Obama is "evil" will be anxious and angry; but really, that'll be the extreme exception, and not the rule.

No matter who wins, expect a feeling of relief once this damned things over.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The feeling of relief would

The feeling of relief would be welcomed, I expect.  I'm sure I'll have the sensation as well.  I just want to have fun while I'm enjoying time away from 10 degree weather.  It's hovering around 27 in Fort Lauderdale right now and that's perfect weather for shorts and beaches.  Perhaps what is eating me away is the thought of a McCain win moreso than that of an Obama win.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
From what I understand, Ft

From what I understand, Ft Lauderdale is a pretty liberal area - not so sure about Tampa. Some parts of Flordia are definitely like the deep south - in other words, ultra-redneck conservative Jeebus lovers.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:I will be in

Thomathy wrote:

I will be in Florida during the November 4 US election.  I'll be in Fort Lauderdale and then Tampa (for a conference).  I didn't realize until a week ago that the election would coincide with my trip.

What, if anything, should I expect to be the predominant atmosphere while I'm there?  I find myself suddenly apprehensive of going on a trip that I've been waiting for for months.  I just want to enjoy the summertime-like weather and the shopping (which won't be much the way the loonie's gone) and not the the vague idea of turmoil I expect the election will bring.

Do yourself a favor, if you get a chance, visit The University of Tampa which is right next to the downtown Hillsboro(sp) river. It is a beautifull building. It used to be a hotel and was built in the early 1900s. It has beautifull Minerettes and a Moorish style.

In fact last month on the Today Show, Matt Lauer and crew did a ellection special from the beautifull park in front of the college.

I love Tampa. You might also want to check out Ebor City just outside Tampa. You could compair it to Georgetown just outside DC, lots of bars with live music.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Do yourself a

Brian37 wrote:
Do yourself a favor, if you get a chance, visit The University of Tampa which is right next to the downtown Hillsboro(sp) river. It is a beautifull building. It used to be a hotel and was built in the early 1900s. It has beautifull Minerettes and a Moorish style.

In fact last month on the Today Show, Matt Lauer and crew did a ellection special from the beautifull park in front of the college.

I love Tampa. You might also want to check out Ebor City just outside Tampa. You could compair it to Georgetown just outside DC, lots of bars with live music.

I'm afraid I don't get the comparison, Brian, but I already have an itinerary of things to do in Ybor city.  A part of the area is known as GaYbor city and apparently hosts a particularly artful and affluent gay community.  I will be checking out the university, but more likely to gawk at the university boys rather than the buildings, which I'm sure are very nice too.

BigUniverse wrote,

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
nothing to worry about

Thomathy wrote:

Still waiting for your reponse to our last discussion.  As far as being worried.  It appears that BO has it wrapped up.  If that is the case, what is there to worry about?  The republicans don't have time to riot because they will begin working overtime in order to give a "tax-break" to the 40% of Americans who are paying . . . nothing.  When was the last time that conservative republicans rioted????  Can't seem to put my finger on it.  If McCain loses, we will all (both democrats and republicans) take it on the chin.  The only difference is that the mess that will come with BO - the democrats brought it on themselves because they drank the Kool-aid. 

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Constructive, REVLyle. 

Constructive, REVLyle.  Thanks for the input.  I'll be responding to you in due time.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Visit!!

While your there, fellow Canuck;  look up  James Randi,   he is in Ft.Lauderdale somewhere.  He is yet another  Toronto born resident in Floridia  (more then once described as  "God's  waiting Room&quotEye-wink

If you get great  photos of cute guys in G-strings;   keep them to yourself   but if they have any sisters   get the phone numbers.............

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
REVLyle wrote:Thomathy

REVLyle wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Still waiting for your reponse to our last discussion.  As far as being worried.  It appears that BO has it wrapped up.  If that is the case, what is there to worry about?  The republicans don't have time to riot because they will begin working overtime in order to give a "tax-break" to the 40% of Americans who are paying . . . nothing.  When was the last time that conservative republicans rioted????  Can't seem to put my finger on it.  If McCain loses, we will all (both democrats and republicans) take it on the chin.  The only difference is that the mess that will come with BO - the democrats brought it on themselves because they drank the Kool-aid. 

With all the hundreds of billions of dollars in uncollected taxes were paid there would be no need for increasing anybodies taxes. I say go after those that haven't paid and be done with it. However, there is no interest in going after deadbeats.

As for the statistics of 40%, I have a different take on what it means for handouts. In an ideal economic form of capitalism, unlike the bastard we have created, the economy would be built from the consumer on up. The redistribution of wealth BO is talking about has been occuring from the middle and working classes to the wealthy. I can see why those with all the money have a problem with giving away their money and I can't for the life of me figure out why we are lethargic enough to let them steal ours. The wealthy use his tax plan to scare the lower classes which is why we now say, "how dare they tax the rich". Only in America can we be so dumbed down to not recognize double-speak. This country has always operated on an incremental tax, well since the IRS has been around anyways. The economy will collapse if the wealthy are taxed more is just a scare tactic.

We've gone from a social welfare system to a corporate welfare system. Corporations get huge tax credits and most corporations pay few taxes anymore. The American taxpayer now pays more than 3 and a half times what corporations do in taxes according to the IRS website.

Obama will be no worse than McCain in the long term as both parties are only interested in their self-serving agendas and big business. Don't be fooled business will always win out whoever is in the white house. Jimmy Carter didn't put millions of acres in Alaska off limits for oil production to protect moose populations, but to be used for a political-economic purposes at some point in the future. The dems are just as cozy with big business, they just put a smiley face on their relationships. I can't with good conscience support either candidate, as the lesser of two evils is still pretty fuckin evil.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS