My Beliefs [Trollville]

Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
My Beliefs [Trollville]

I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself. I do not adhere to the belief of Karma, any "perilous missions" to rescue humanity on behalf of a particular deity, superstitions, dogma, Law of Attraction, Ego, Satan, Christ, or God; yet I do believe in the existence of an After Life, reincarnation, and spirit beings. All the drama, chaos, and violence in the world can be attributed to the unawareness of one's own subjectivity. I later discovered that Albert Ellis, grandfather of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT), illustrated this philosophy through his work so I am also a big fan of his.

 

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3730
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I'm not debating

 

Quote:
I'm not debating shit. Period.

Nope, you're still debating. See? You're still debating. 

Quote:
And you didn't debunk ANYTHING. ONLY in your own minds.

Quote:
That's what I'm telling you. That's y you said this, "I stated something along the lines of, if you truly had impressive personal experiences, then it would be ludicrous for you to change your beliefs because of an Internet forum. Eh, something like that."

Ah, but then, either you're equating debunking supernatural beliefs with convincing you of the flaws of your beliefs or your assuming that we shouldn't have any reason to debunk your beliefs because you probably can't be convinced. Confused?  

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
I will change it. I'm not a

I will change it. I'm not a christ person either.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3730
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I just copied and

 

Quote:
I just copied and pasted it from IAMGOD's post. I just felt it was saying everything I had to say.

Oh, haha, I didn't notice his post.

Wait, but but but, why did you add the phrase, "appear to be?"

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote: Quote:I

butterbattle wrote:

 

Quote:
I just copied and pasted it from IAMGOD's post. I just felt it was saying everything I had to say.

Oh, haha, I didn't notice his post.

Wait, but but but, why did you add the phrase, "appear to be?"

 

I wanted it to accurately reflect what I was trying to say. I believe that's what that quote was saying also. But I put in brackets bc I didn't want anybody to think I was plagiarizing. That would just be another nitpicking debate for you people.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

 

Quote:
I'm not debating shit. Period.

Nope, you're still debating. See? You're still debating. 

Quote:
And you didn't debunk ANYTHING. ONLY in your own minds.

Quote:
That's what I'm telling you. That's y you said this, "I stated something along the lines of, if you truly had impressive personal experiences, then it would be ludicrous for you to change your beliefs because of an Internet forum. Eh, something like that."

Ah, but then, either you're equating debunking supernatural beliefs with convincing you of the flaws of your beliefs or your assuming that we shouldn't have any reason to debunk your beliefs because you probably can't be convinced. Confused?  

LOL. You are confusing yourself with your own line of thinking....Why am I not surprised??? You can't use a statement that you made and then try to tell me what it psychologically equates to in my OWN mind. That's a non-sequitur and, not to mention, ludicrous. 

My first comment was in relation to this statement you made in your previous post:

Oh, they heard you loud and clear. The problem was that you were arguing that DeludedGod and others doubted your beliefs based on their personal experiences when their most crucial reasons for this skepticism were based on objective, testable evidence. Unbelievable miscommunication. However, you then argued that interpretation of objective evidence is subjective, to which DG responded...blah, blah, blah.

U attempted to rehash the argument as IF I was debating the validity of my supernatural beliefs...AND I WASN'T...That's why I said I WASN'T DEBATING SHIT. PERIOD. [about my supernatural beliefs]. And that's why the full quote concluded, "And y'all are mad at me for this very reason. What's not getting through to you here??????????????? I feel like I'm starting back at post one with all of this circular reasoning." 

And I'm still not debating my supernatural beliefs. This shit is entertaining to me. I think it's funny to see what you guys come up with. Are you sure  Theists are the only ones with mental problems?

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5905
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:butterbattle

Arj wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Finally, many of the people on this forum have been extremely respectful to you, (I'm not included) yet you will not hesitate at any opportunity to call everyone an idiot. Yup, you're the kind of person that is very susceptible to religion. The only reason you're not completely religious is because of the influence of your family and environment. Well, at least you believe in an afterlife. 

 

This is a DAMN lie. I can count on all of two fingers how many people have been respectful of other people's beliefs. And I agree. You are not included. And I haven't made a mistake in my beliefs. I said I'm not here to prove myself and it seemed like no one could hear me. So who made the error here? Especially when you concluded that that would be nonsense.

Arj, butterbattle said "many of the people on this forum have been extremely respectful to you,".

So then you respond "This is a DAMN lie. I can count on all of two fingers how many people have been respectful of other people's beliefs.

You see why I conclude that you are confusing respect to the person (the underlined statement from butterbattle) to which responded in defence that only two people had shown respect to other's beliefs.

Now, come on, Arj, can you see why we find you difficult to understand and inconsistent??

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5905
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:BobSpence1

Arj wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Were those examples supposed to justify your claim that the " brutality, partiality, and animosity in this forum could mirror the bigotry of the KKK".

No. I thought the fact that this debate is NOW 200 posts deep would prove that point.

WTF has the length of the thread got to do with "brutality, partiality, and animosity"????

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Arj

BobSpence1 wrote:

Arj wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Finally, many of the people on this forum have been extremely respectful to you, (I'm not included) yet you will not hesitate at any opportunity to call everyone an idiot. Yup, you're the kind of person that is very susceptible to religion. The only reason you're not completely religious is because of the influence of your family and environment. Well, at least you believe in an afterlife. 

 

This is a DAMN lie. I can count on all of two fingers how many people have been respectful of other people's beliefs. And I agree. You are not included. And I haven't made a mistake in my beliefs. I said I'm not here to prove myself and it seemed like no one could hear me. So who made the error here? Especially when you concluded that that would be nonsense.

Arj, butterbattle said "many of the people on this forum have been extremely respectful to you,".

So then you respond "This is a DAMN lie. I can count on all of two fingers how many people have been respectful of other people's beliefs.

You see why I conclude that you are confusing respect to the person (the underlined statement from butterbattle) to which responded in defence that only two people had shown respect to other's beliefs.

Now, come on, Arj, can you see why we find you difficult to understand and inconsistent??

Oh. LOL. I didn't know that was the point you were making because you didn't quote that before. I didn't know where you were getting it from earlier.

....you are equating 'not respecting a person's beliefs' with 'not respecting the person...We do make that distinction, and will make no apologies for not taking your belief seriously.'.....

So then this shows that Butter is the one that is confused. Not me.

 

 

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Arj

BobSpence1 wrote:

Arj wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Were those examples supposed to justify your claim that the " brutality, partiality, and animosity in this forum could mirror the bigotry of the KKK".

No. I thought the fact that this debate is NOW 200 posts deep would prove that point.

WTF has the length of the thread got to do with "brutality, partiality, and animosity"????

I didn't say thread I said debate. If you respected the right (like you claimed in that earlier post) to "allow a person to believe what they wanted to" (which is what I was requesting at post 7) then there wouldn't be a 200 posts DEBATE in protest. PERIOD. 

That's y I said this:

BobSpence1 wrote:
You in response not only make clear that you do not accept our beliefs, which is fine with us, we want people to come on and tell us exactly what they see as wrong with our beliefs and world-views, we don't expect everyone to 'respect' our beliefs.

If that were the case, then this debate wouldn't be 200 posts deep. PERIOD.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5905
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
OK, the length of a debate

OK, the length of a debate still does not in any way prove it involved "brutality, partiality, and animosity".

Respecting the right to hold a belief means we will not attempt to force you to change it, or punish you for holding it.

That does not preclude us from pointing out what we see as the flaws in that belief - if that was to be a general rule, a major channel of learning would be blocked.

Care to demonstrate any more your total lack of logic and comprehension? Now that is a personal attack maybe, but not because of your beliefs, but on your utterly illogical responses to our statements and questions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Care to

BobSpence1 wrote:

Care to demonstrate any more your total lack of logic and comprehension? Now that is a personal attack maybe, but not because of your beliefs, but on your utterly illogical responses to our statements and questions.

I already feel like you are doing that for me.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3730
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
  Quote:I believe that's

  

Quote:
I believe that's what that quote was saying also.

No, that's not what it was saying, dumbass!? The original quote was what it was saying! You just stated that you changed the quote to mold to your opinion. If you changed it, then how the fuck is it the same as the original post? What the fuck??? You're getting dumber by the minute!

Quote:
But I put in brackets bc I didn't want anybody to think I was plagiarizing.

The original quote has already been cited as a sentence from Bertrand Russell. You made up the phrase inside the brackets. Who are you plagiarizing? Yourself? 

Quote:
That would just be another nitpicking debate for you people.

Too late. You already look like a moron again. 

And don't shove us any more of that crap. If you really didn't want to create controversy, you wouldn't be comparing us to the KKK and skewering the meaning of famous quotes into stupid insults. Holding up a white flag with one hand and hiding a grenade behind your back with the other hand is not very efficient. If you want to debate, stop whining. If you don't want to debate, then stop debating. 

Quote:
LOL. You are confusing yourself with your own line of thinking....Why am I not surprised???

Obviously, you were confused, and you didn't understand my logic, so this is your only refutation.

Quote:
That's a non-sequitur and, not to mention, ludicrous.
 

You don't even know what a non-sequitur is.

Quote:
U attempted to rehash the argument as IF I was debating the validity of my supernatural beliefs.

You were. You were debating and complaining that you didn't want to debate simultaneously. Go back and read your posts again.

Quote:
AND I WASN'T

Yes you were.

Quote:
Are you sure  Theists are the only ones with mental problems?

Brilliant, Arj, brilliant.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3730
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:If

 

Quote:
If you respected the right (like you claimed in that earlier post) to "allow a person to believe what they wanted to" (which is what I was requesting at post 7) then there wouldn't be a 200 posts DEBATE in protest. PERIOD.
 

This is a very crucial statement.

You should think about this sentence.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
None of that made ANY sense.

None of that made ANY sense.

 

I now see what u were saying about the quote. He was saying something else. I'll change that and put it in my own words..... But other then that, I couldn't make much sense out of what else u had to say.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5905
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Like I said before, allowing

Like I said before, allowing a person to believe what they want is not inconsistent with debating with them about the validity of those beliefs. If you find it objectionable, no one is forcing you to stay here and read our posts.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
I couldn't make much sense

I reread ur comment. Now I see the point you were trying to make....Aah yes. But your attitude is inconsistent with this statement.

You in response not only make clear that you do not accept our beliefs, which is fine with us, we want people to come on and tell us exactly what they see as wrong with our beliefs and world-views, we don't expect everyone to 'respect' our beliefs.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Obviously, you were

Obviously, you were confused, and you didn't understand my logic, so this is your only refutation.

That's right. I didn't understand YOUR logic so why were YOU trying to dictate mine? Neither of those are the answers. If you wanted to know what I was thinking then why not just ask? My revised "Bertrand Russell" quote says it all.

You were. You were debating and complaining that you didn't want to debate simultaneously. Go back and read your posts again.

No I wasn't debating my supernatural beliefs. I was trying to explain why I wasn't debating my supernatural beliefs because some radical atheists (for over 200 posts) wouldn't take no for an answer. PERIOD. You need to go back and reread the thread.

Are you sure Theists are the only ones with mental problems?

Brilliant, Arj, brilliant.

 Thank you.

 

 

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:No I wasn't

Arj wrote:
No I wasn't debating my supernatural beliefs.

But if you post that you believe there is supernatural on this forum, you're going to get jumped on because not only is theism based on supernatural, most atheists adamantly reject the existence of supernatural.

Quote:
I was trying to explain why I wasn't debating my supernatural beliefs because some radical atheists (for over 200 posts) wouldn't take no for an answer. PERIOD. You need to go back and reread the thread.

And most people here who read your post about your belief in the after life, reincarnation, and spirit beings and mediums or other nonsense are not going to let your claim pass without challenging it even if you call yourself an atheist. This obviously upsets you. You seem shocked that people would reject your beliefs. Perhaps you were looking for like minded friends here and maybe there are 1 or 2, but most people here will reject their beliefs also. There simply is no evidence to justify such beliefs.

I then assume you have not been adequately exposed to the technique of rational analysis. If you continue to read this forum, you might learn if you'd just get past your egotistical mental block.

Quote:
Are you sure Theists are the only ones with mental problems?

No member of a pre-defined body of individuals is exempt from mental problems. There are "rash" individuals in most every sodality, however, as for the aggregation of freethinkers, there definitely seems to be a lower percentage. But it is not an issue. The issue is rational beliefs! Even with supposed "mental problems" people can still employ rational thinking to the real world and people considered to be supposedly "completely sane" are still able to hold to incoherent and insane beliefs.

Quote:
Brilliant, Arj, brilliant.

 Thank you

 

You all come back again. Ya hear

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
You weren't debating - you

You weren't debating - you just held a position and attempted to support when confronted by an opposing view.

Nope, not debating at all.

If you make contact with the golf ball and it moves, it's a stroke whether you meant to do it or not.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:You weren't

jcgadfly wrote:

You weren't debating - you just held a position and attempted to support when confronted by an opposing view.

Nope, not debating at all.

If you make contact with the golf ball and it moves, it's a stroke whether you meant to do it or not.

Don't misquote me just for the hell of it if you don't have anything important to say.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Luminon, re

BobSpence1 wrote:

Luminon, re UFO's, I hope you are aware that weather balloons are hardly the only explanation presented for UFO sightings. I was curious when I first read your reference to weather balloons in your list of skeptic's Gods, since I hadn't seen you talking about UFO phenomena before. Took me a while to realize you may have lumped UFO's in to your grab-bag of topics that you see being unfairly attacked by skeptics.

There is significant evidence that the classic Roswell stuff may have been connected with US military reconaissance balloons aimed at monitoring Russian nuclear activities - I have actually seen the re,ains of one of these things in a Moscow museum.

Then there are militarty aircraft, reflections from formation of high flying birds when the sun is at certain low angles and relative directions, etc, etc.

I was prepared to allow your use of 'weather balloon' as a stand-in for mundane explanations of UFO's, but your apparent assumption that that was the only alternative explanation for your personal sighting is a bit disappointing. It suggests you have not read enough of the writings of the more reasonable skeptics to fully grasp the 'other side'. Have you listened to/read much of Joe Nickell or Phil Plait?


I had personally watched U.F.O., or a close group of them, with my brother when we were kids. Till this day, I haven't seen anything like that, not even in TV.
I'm OK with a skepticism towards a vague sightings of reflections, halo effect, meteorologic balloons and so on, but these explanations are not all-powerful. In magazines I receive there are many UFO sightings by hundreds of people from all the world, (there is a name of the city or village) and these sightings describes a controlled glowing aircrafts without any possible ambiguity in interpretation. Some observations were even quite close, on hundreds of meters. I don't have a reason to reject these messages, because this is basically what I saw as well. UFO occurence is so common, that hundreds or even thousands of people in the world sees them every month. Honestly, it stopped being a blockbuster at least 15 years ago, it's a regular section of the magazines. There is only one new thing - an increasing number of them. And some best photos ever came this year from Poland.

Furthermore, you can very well imagine, how well controlled the air traffic is. It is absolutely unacceptable for a country's officials, airport staff or military, to have an unidentified objects in their air territory. For those who feels responsible for our safety and unbreached territory, it's outrageous and terrifying, we all saw what an uncontrolled airplane can do, on the 9/11 day. No wonder that all greater governments (and Vatican) keeps a top secret files on this phenomenon, filled by a testimonies of military pilots. People may be even allowed to see them, though not inside, unless they're published, as it recently happens.

I don't know anything about alleged abductions (it's probably a hoax), and I didn't see an evidence for any version of the Rosswell event, but what I know, is that our sky is full of glowing (at night) and flying objects. It's quite obvious why this is not in any serious TV program or newspaper. The UFO became a powerful symbol. It symbolizes something which is not dependent on a government, and which doesn't care about bullets from our military interceptors. (how welcoming from us) It's something uncontrolled by a consumer culure, it brings a higher idealistic thoughts to people. From a commercial point of view, it's a pest. But nobody can get rid of this pest, the only thing anyone can do is to isolate and ridicule it's friends.

All right, I'll check out Joe Nickell an, I hope there are some podcasts for download.
 

 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:jcgadfly wrote:You

Arj wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

You weren't debating - you just held a position and attempted to support when confronted by an opposing view.

Nope, not debating at all.

If you make contact with the golf ball and it moves, it's a stroke whether you meant to do it or not.

Don't misquote me just for the hell of it if you don't have anything important to say.

Didn't quote anything from you but I will happily stop your misrepresentation.

Your OP states your position, right? Or did you simply title this "my beliefs" to mess with people?

Your response in post 3 "My mom is a medium. So I know firsthand that the spirit world exists" is a defense of that position.

Post 7: "y do I own a car I never purchased?" - another defense

Post 58: "It's anecdotal to you but it's concrete to me." and "Also I've had visions, spoken to loved ones who have passed away etc."  - more defenses of your position.

I'd go on but my break's over. Please hurry up and stop debating if that is your intent.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote: But if you

aiia wrote:
But if you post that you believe there is supernatural on this forum, you're going to get jumped on because not only is theism based on supernatural, most atheists adamantly reject the existence of supernatural... And most people here who read your post about your belief in the after life, reincarnation, and spirit beings and mediums or other nonsense are not going to let your claim pass without challenging it even if you call yourself an atheist. This obviously upsets you. You seem shocked that people would reject your beliefs. Perhaps you were looking for like minded friends here and maybe there are 1 or 2, but most people here will reject their beliefs also. There simply is no evidence to justify such beliefs.

I then assume you have not been adequately exposed to the technique of rational analysis. If you continue to read this forum, you might learn if you'd just get past your egotistical mental block.

"...we don't expect everyone to 'respect' our beliefs..."

So basically you are saying Bob's statements are a gross misrepresentation of RRS. I kinda figured that. You are not telling me anything new.

 

 

aiia wrote:
No member of a pre-defined body of individuals is exempt from mental problems. There are "rash" individuals in most every sodality, however, as for the aggregation of freethinkers, there definitely seems to be a lower percentage. But it is not an issue. The issue is rational beliefs! Even with supposed "mental problems" people can still employ rational thinking to the real world and people considered to be supposedly "completely sane" are still able to hold to incoherent and insane beliefs.

I've noticed.

 

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Arj

jcgadfly wrote:

Arj wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

You weren't debating - you just held a position and attempted to support when confronted by an opposing view.

Nope, not debating at all.

If you make contact with the golf ball and it moves, it's a stroke whether you meant to do it or not.

Don't misquote me just for the hell of it if you don't have anything important to say.

Didn't quote anything from you but I will happily stop your misrepresentation.

Your OP states your position, right? Or did you simply title this "my beliefs" to mess with people?

Your response in post 3 "My mom is a medium. So I know firsthand that the spirit world exists" is a defense of that position.

Post 7: "y do I own a car I never purchased?" - another defense

Post 58: "It's anecdotal to you but it's concrete to me." and "Also I've had visions, spoken to loved ones who have passed away etc."  - more defenses of your position.

I'd go on but my break's over. Please hurry up and stop debating if that is your intent.

What's the point? All those posts were accompanied with a "I'm not trying to prove myself" disclaimer yet THEY wouldn't let the issue die. Get Real. Stop wasting your and mine time. Just like I told Butter I was trying to explain why I would NOT debate my supernatural beliefs... I mean in post 7 I went on to say "I don't recall that being a part of my motives." 2 sentences after the one YOU just quoted. Like I said. If you are gonna misquote me and take my statements out of context then at least have something important to say. The other radical atheists already pulled this stun one too many times in this thread. Come up with some new tricks already. If you are so eager to make a debate out of thin air then join Lum's new thread. He's discussing this same subject.

 

 

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:I'm new here and I

Arj wrote:
I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself. I do not adhere to the belief of Karma, any "perilous missions" to rescue humanity on behalf of a particular deity, superstitions, dogma, Law of Attraction, Ego, Satan, Christ, or God; yet I do believe in the existence of an After Life, reincarnation, and spirit beings. All the drama, chaos, and violence in the world can be attributed to the unawareness of one's own subjectivity. I later discovered that Albert Ellis, grandfather of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT), illustrated this philosophy through his work so I am also a big fan of his.
Arj, why did you state all this?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Arj wrote:I'm

Thomathy wrote:

Arj wrote:
I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself. I do not adhere to the belief of Karma, any "perilous missions" to rescue humanity on behalf of a particular deity, superstitions, dogma, Law of Attraction, Ego, Satan, Christ, or God; yet I do believe in the existence of an After Life, reincarnation, and spirit beings. All the drama, chaos, and violence in the world can be attributed to the unawareness of one's own subjectivity. I later discovered that Albert Ellis, grandfather of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT), illustrated this philosophy through his work so I am also a big fan of his.
Arj, why did you state all this?

I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
If you didn't want to debate

If you didn't want to debate it you shouldn't have posted it in the first place.


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:I'm new here and I

Arj wrote:
I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself.
Ah.  Well, hi!  Now, did you suspect that anyone here might take issue with your beliefs?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:If you

MattShizzle wrote:

If you didn't want to debate it you shouldn't have posted it in the first place.

YOU must be forgetting what section of the forum you are in. "Introduce yourself, or partake in something funny. When it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here...."

Basically, you're saying that the descriptive text clearly gave me misinformation....  therefore I'm in the wrong. Hmm...I feel a case of de ja vu coming on...where have I heard all this nonsense before???

"....So defending myself is the same thing as being the aggressor??? No wonder this plea would NEVER stand up in court...."

IT'S FUCKING ILLOGICAL!!! That's why. But I get your point.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Arj wrote:I'm

Thomathy wrote:

Arj wrote:
I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself.
Ah.  Well, hi!  Now, did you suspect that anyone here might take issue with your beliefs?

Nope. I sure did not. I wouldn't have readily stepped into a hostile environment and been so open with people who were just out for blood. That wouldn't be very logical. If I was aiming for a debate wouldn't I at least try to prep myself? Think about it. It seems like a bloodsport with you people. I thought I would meet like minded (in the sense of open mindedness) rational sane people. That's the name of this forum btw. Instead, I met the complete opposite.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote: Nope. I sure did

Arj wrote:
Nope. I sure did not.
Insert cliche about hindsight.  You didn't investigate the forum before you posted?  Fair enough, but didn't the name give you a clue that perhaps beliefs about the supernatural would be scrutinized?

Quote:
I wouldn't have readily stepped into a hostile environment and been so open with people who were just out for blood.
Metaphores aside, what we're out for here is rational discourse.  You have provided very little rational discourse.  You refuse to discuss your beliefs.  What is it that you do want to discuss here?  Is it clear yet that these forums cover a wide range of topics?

Quote:
It's seems like a bloodsport with you people.
It is not.

Quote:
I thought I would meet like minded (in the sense of open mindedness) rational sane people.  That's the name of this forum.
Many of us are quite rational and sane.  Those atheists here share only that in regards to you; a disbelief in god.  That is all.  I'm an atheist, but I'm also rational.  I subject unfounded beliefs to scrutiny.  I am a skeptic.  You came here and unwittingly posted your beliefs in an environment where virtually everyone is rational and skeptical.  Very really, it is your own fault for not investigating the forums before posting and for posting on this site where debate occurs regularly and where your particular beliefs are put to the same rigorous analysis as any other unfounded belief.

Quote:
Instead, I met its complete opposite.
But, you have found likeminded people.  You have found other atheists.  What you have not found is people who won't scrutinize your beliefs about the 'After Life (sic), reincarnation, and spirit beings.'.  That is part of the reason this forum exists.  It's clear from your posts that you don't have an appreciation of the scientific method, that you have a rather poor grasp of even elementary logic and that you aren't particularly skeptical.  All the reasons you've provided for believing what you do are the same as those provided by people who believe in god.  What is, exactly, the difference between your beliefs and theirs?  How, exactly, did you come to be atheist?  Why are you still here?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:Thomathy wrote:Arj

Arj wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Arj wrote:
I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself.
Ah.  Well, hi!  Now, did you suspect that anyone here might take issue with your beliefs?

Nope. I sure did not. I wouldn't have readily stepped into a hostile environment and been so open with people who were just out for blood. That wouldn't be very logical. If I was aiming for a debate wouldn't I at least try to prep myself? Think about it. It seems like a bloodsport with you people. I thought I would meet like minded (in the sense of open mindedness) rational sane people. That's the name of this forum btw. Instead, I met the complete opposite.

Hardly out for blood unless that's how you interpret an intellectual challenge. Claiming persecution because your beliefs are questioned is a very Christian trait - you need to be careful that's not misread as you being a Christian under another guise. That happens here a lot.

Nothing wrong with being open-minded just as long as your brain doesn't drop out.

If you think your position is tenable (even if it is only for you), why get so testy when people ask why that is? Especially when you pull the "I'm not here to prove anything about my beliefs to you" while offering proof for your beliefs. You may not have meant to provide justification for your position (in which case it would have been asked for) but when you brought up why you believe what you do, it seems strange that you would be so against a more detailed examination.

If you are going to claim pseudosceintific beliefs, they are going to be challenged. Reasonable people should do no less. I would expect you to question things I say that make no sense also.

 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Arj

Thomathy wrote:

Arj wrote:
Nope. I sure did not.
Insert cliche about hindsight.  You didn't investigate the forum before you posted?  Fair enough, but didn't the name give you a clue that perhaps beliefs about the supernatural would be scrutinized?

Quote:
I wouldn't have readily stepped into a hostile environment and been so open with people who were just out for blood.
Metaphores aside, what we're out for here is rational discourse.  You have provided very little rational discourse.  You refuse to discuss your beliefs.  What is it that you do want to discuss here?  Is it clear yet that these forums cover a wide range of topics?

Quote:
It's seems like a bloodsport with you people.
It is not.

Quote:
I thought I would meet like minded (in the sense of open mindedness) rational sane people.  That's the name of this forum.
Many of us are quite rational and sane.  Those atheists here share only that in regards to you; a disbelief in god.  That is all.  I'm an atheist, but I'm also rational.  I subject unfounded beliefs to scrutiny.  I am a skeptic.  You came here and unwittingly posted your beliefs in an environment where virtually everyone is rational and skeptical.  Very really, it is your own fault for not investigating the forums before posting and for posting on this site where debate occurs regularly and where your particular beliefs are put to the same rigorous analysis as any other unfounded belief.

Quote:
Instead, I met its complete opposite.
But, you have found likeminded people.  You have found other atheists.  What you have not found is people who won't scrutinize your beliefs about the 'After Life (sic), reincarnation, and spirit beings.'.  That is part of the reason this forum exists.  It's clear from your posts that you don't have an appreciation of the scientific method, that you have a rather poor grasp of even elementary logic and that you aren't particularly skeptical.  All the reasons you've provided for believing what you do are the same as those provided by people who believe in god.  What is, exactly, the difference between your beliefs and theirs?  How, exactly, did you come to be atheist?  Why are you still here?

I said I'm a free thinker not an atheist and I did investigate this forum and I didn't see any of this before I signed up. (Meaning, I knew there would be skepticism but NOT radical atheism. I wasn't expecting that AND I've never been to an atheist forum before). If it's not a blood sport then you all had me fooled. LOL... I know for a fact, that I can refute this last statement. "

But, you have found likeminded people.

" NO I HAVE NOT. And the rest is fuller. I've said plenty of times I don't give a fuck about what other people think about my beliefs. So if you and Fly are just gonna keep reciting old scripts then my signature can speak for me.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Arj

jcgadfly wrote:

Arj wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Arj wrote:
I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself.
Ah.  Well, hi!  Now, did you suspect that anyone here might take issue with your beliefs?

Nope. I sure did not. I wouldn't have readily stepped into a hostile environment and been so open with people who were just out for blood. That wouldn't be very logical. If I was aiming for a debate wouldn't I at least try to prep myself? Think about it. It seems like a bloodsport with you people. I thought I would meet like minded (in the sense of open mindedness) rational sane people. That's the name of this forum btw. Instead, I met the complete opposite.

Hardly out for blood unless that's how you interpret an intellectual challenge. Claiming persecution because your beliefs are questioned is a very Christian trait - you need to be careful that's not misread as you being a Christian under another guise. That happens here a lot.

Nothing wrong with being open-minded just as long as your brain doesn't drop out.

If you think your position is tenable (even if it is only for you), why get so testy when people ask why that is? Especially when you pull the "I'm not here to prove anything about my beliefs to you" while offering proof for your beliefs. You may not have meant to provide justification for your position (in which case it would have been asked for) but when you brought up why you believe what you do, it seems strange that you would be so against a more detailed examination.

If you are going to claim pseudosceintific beliefs, they are going to be challenged. Reasonable people should do no less. I would expect you to question things I say that make no sense also.

 

I agree. But my point is take it to the debate forum where people are ACTUALLY DEBATING the issue. I've said all a long that rational skepticism is reasonable radical atheism is not. 

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:Thomathy wrote:Arj

Arj wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Arj wrote:
Nope. I sure did not.
Insert cliche about hindsight.  You didn't investigate the forum before you posted?  Fair enough, but didn't the name give you a clue that perhaps beliefs about the supernatural would be scrutinized?

Quote:
I wouldn't have readily stepped into a hostile environment and been so open with people who were just out for blood.
Metaphores aside, what we're out for here is rational discourse.  You have provided very little rational discourse.  You refuse to discuss your beliefs.  What is it that you do want to discuss here?  Is it clear yet that these forums cover a wide range of topics?

Quote:
It's seems like a bloodsport with you people.
It is not.

Quote:
I thought I would meet like minded (in the sense of open mindedness) rational sane people.  That's the name of this forum.
Many of us are quite rational and sane.  Those atheists here share only that in regards to you; a disbelief in god.  That is all.  I'm an atheist, but I'm also rational.  I subject unfounded beliefs to scrutiny.  I am a skeptic.  You came here and unwittingly posted your beliefs in an environment where virtually everyone is rational and skeptical.  Very really, it is your own fault for not investigating the forums before posting and for posting on this site where debate occurs regularly and where your particular beliefs are put to the same rigorous analysis as any other unfounded belief.

Quote:
Instead, I met its complete opposite.
But, you have found likeminded people.  You have found other atheists.  What you have not found is people who won't scrutinize your beliefs about the 'After Life (sic), reincarnation, and spirit beings.'.  That is part of the reason this forum exists.  It's clear from your posts that you don't have an appreciation of the scientific method, that you have a rather poor grasp of even elementary logic and that you aren't particularly skeptical.  All the reasons you've provided for believing what you do are the same as those provided by people who believe in god.  What is, exactly, the difference between your beliefs and theirs?  How, exactly, did you come to be atheist?  Why are you still here?

I said I'm a free thinker not an atheist and I did investigate this forum and I didn't see any of this before I signed up. (Meaning, I knew there would be skepticism but NOT radical atheism. I wasn't expecting that AND I've never been to an atheist forum before). If it's not a blood sport then you all had me fooled. LOL... I know for a fact, that I can refute this last statement. "

But, you have found likeminded people.

" NO I HAVE NOT. And the rest is fuller. I've said plenty of times I don't give a fuck about what other people think about my beliefs. So if you and Fly are just gonna keep reciting old scripts then my signature can speak for me.

Again, if you don't give a fuck about our opinions of your beliefs, why post on this forum? That's basically asking us to give you our opinions.

That's like blaimg the follow spot operator for putting the light on you after you made an ass of yourself chasing the light around the stage so people could see you.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
If you are not an atheist,

If you are not an atheist, what particular god or gods do you believe exist?


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Again, if you

jcgadfly wrote:

Again, if you don't give a fuck about our opinions of your beliefs, why post on this forum? That's basically asking us to give you our opinions.

That's like blaimg the follow spot operator for putting the light on you after you made an ass of yourself chasing the light around the stage so people could see you.

Oh. I answered that question too. It's just entertaining to me now. You people make me laugh so I guess in that scenario (in my mind) 'I'm the light'. LOL.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
I'm getting a kick out of it

I'm getting a kick out of it too.

You do know I'm laughing at you and not with you, right?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:I said I'm a free

Arj wrote:
I said I'm a free thinker not an atheist
Oh.  You're not atheist.  What god(s) do you believe in?

Quote:
and I did investigate this forum and I didn't see any of this before I signed up. (Meaning, I knew there would be skepticism but NOT radical atheism.
You, apparently, failed to investigate enough.  What is 'radical atheism'?

Quote:
I wasn't expecting that AND I've never been to an atheist forum before).
Okay...

Quote:
If it's not a blood sport then you all had me fooled.
The metaphor isn't helpful.

Quote:
LOL... I know for a fact, that I can refute this last statement. "But, you have found likeminded people.

" NO I HAVE NOT.

Okay.  You haven't.  You're not atheist.  So, what god(s) do you believe in?

Quote:
And the rest is fuller.
Is it?  I asked you a number of questions that you haven't answered and as I'm giving your posts such attention, you could at least provide me the same courtesy.  I don't see a need for such hostility.

Quote:
I've said plenty of times I don't give a fuck about what other people think about my beliefs. So if you and Fly are just gonna keep reciting old scripts then my signature can speak for me.
If you don't care what anyone thinks about your beliefs, then why are you here and why did you post them in your introduction?  If you only wanted to introduce yourself, you could have done so in a number of other ways that wouldn't have put beliefs you don't want to talk about in the spotlight.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Anything that gets posted

Anything that gets posted anywhere is up for debate. If you posted you were Napoleon or that the Holocaust never happened or the moon landing was fake we would jump all over you and demand evidence for that, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:If you are

MattShizzle wrote:

If you are not an atheist, what particular god or gods do you believe exist?

I don't believe in any gods. I'm a free thinker. In fact I thought this WAS a free thinker forum. I wouldn't consider myself an atheist.

FREE THINKER - Someone who, along with a moral compass, can investigate, analyze and reflect on a subject without being swayed by all of the propaganda. Often impersonated by people whose latest position is based on whoever is in power at the moment or on the results of the latest poll. A Free Thinker is able to make his own decisions based on all of the data available and not worry about what the “mainstream” may be reportedly saying this week.

 

I'm sure there are other definitions but the only ones I've found have said basically the same thing. Anyway, that would basically describe my rational. That's y I don't give a fuck about what other people said about my beliefs. I can think for myself. Thanks, but no thanks.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Anything

MattShizzle wrote:

Anything that gets posted anywhere is up for debate. If you posted you were Napoleon or that the Holocaust never happened or the moon landing was fake we would jump all over you and demand evidence for that, too.

The sad part is, that I believe you.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
yjcgadfly wrote:I'm getting

y

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm getting a kick out of it too.

You do know I'm laughing at you and not with you, right?

From where I'm standing I don't want to be laughing with you either. LOL

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:I don't believe in

Arj wrote:
I don't believe in any gods.
That would make you atheist.  Atheist means only not believing in gods.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
What is 'radical

What is 'radical atheism'?

 Look in the mirror.

If you don't care what anyone thinks about your beliefs, then why are you here and why did you post them in your introduction?  If you only wanted to introduce yourself, you could have done so in a number of other ways that wouldn't have put beliefs you don't want to talk about in the spotlight.

Normally, when u sign up for a forum you go to the introduction section to INTRODUCE yourself. It's like your the asshole then your trying to tell me it's MY fault because YOU ARE the asshole.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Would you really expect

Would you really expect someone to post that 2 + 2 = 5, "cat" is spelled K-A-T or that pouring ice cream into computers makes them work better  and not have the belief challenged just because of what forum it's in? If you notice, there's no rule in ANY forum that says "no debating" (it's kind of the purpose of this site - notice the name. ) If you didn't want to why didn't you just post it in a personal bog only certain people have access to or on a woo-warrior site where you'd likely find people who agree with you? The majority of people here reject accepting anything without evidence and have a problem with any sort of irrational belief system.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Arj wrote:Look in the

Arj wrote:
Look in the mirror.
I'm an example of 'radical atheism'?  I don't even know what you mean when you use the terms together.

Quote:
Normally, when u sign up for a forum you go to the introduction section to INTRODUCE yourself.
Yup.  Um... only, there's probably a lot of ways that you can introduce yourself.

Quote:
It's like your the asshole then your trying to tell me it's MY fault because YOU ARE the asshole.
I'm an asshole?  What, in my posts, warrants this response from you?

By the way, are you going to answer any of the questions I asked?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Arj wrote:I

Thomathy wrote:

Arj wrote:
I don't believe in any gods.
That would make you atheist.  Atheist means only not believing in gods.

No one can be a freethinker who demands conformity to a bible, creed, or messiah.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ffrf.org%2Fnontracts%2Ffreethinker.php&ei=pAYKSYW7C46Av...

To be a freethinker means you don't have any attachments to that type of philosophy so your point is irrelevant. You also have to have THIS type of mentality and it is QUITE OBVIOUS that Atheists do not.

FREE THINKER - Someone who, along with a moral compass, can investigate, analyze and reflect on a subject without being swayed by all of the propaganda. Often impersonated by people whose latest position is based on whoever is in power at the moment or on the results of the latest poll. A Free Thinker is able to make his own decisions based on all of the data available and not worry about what the “mainstream” may be reportedly saying this week.

To try to conclude well if you are A then you are B as well is a logical fallacy somewhere. 

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Would you

MattShizzle wrote:

Would you really expect someone to post that 2 + 2 = 5, "cat" is spelled K-A-T or that pouring ice cream into computers makes them work better  and not have the belief challenged just because of what forum it's in? If you notice, there's no rule in ANY forum that says "no debating" (it's kind of the purpose of this site - notice the name. ) If you didn't want to why didn't you just post it in a personal bog only certain people have access to or on a woo-warrior site where you'd likely find people who agree with you? The majority of people here reject accepting anything without evidence and have a problem with any sort of irrational belief system.

What's the point? I already said I believe you. I already know Bob was lying. Aiia also made that abundantly clear.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178


Arj
Posts: 313
Joined: 2008-10-23
User is offlineOffline
I'm an example of 'radical

I'm an example of 'radical atheism'?  I don't even know what you mean when you use the terms together.

Well then, you need to catch up on your studies or read my sig.

Um... only, there's probably a lot of ways that you can introduce yourself.

I'm an asshole?  What, in my posts, warrants this response from you?

It was an analogy for the argument you are using and I see I have reason to repeat myself.

By the way, are you going to answer any of the questions I asked?

It depends on what it was. I will see if it's worth my time. If it's about "proving" my beliefs then the answer is no.

‘Cause you keep tellin’ me this and tellin’ me that...You say once I’m with you, I’ll never go back... You say there’s a lesson that you wanna teach.... Well, here I am, baby, practice what you preach...
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15726?page=9#comment-206178