Hey biologists, what is the best diet ?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hey biologists, what is the best diet ?

The whole nitty gritty of it, known scientifically? Eating best, and supplements etc. Protein intake, genetically altered food , on and on, as WTF is true, best?  Eating less the mice test proved, it so seems .... got more? Eat what?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
That sounds like a question

That sounds like a question for an RD, not a biologist.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
http://www.google.com/search?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't rely on google. An RD

Don't rely on google. An RD is a registered dietician.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   Surely DG you have some

Surely DG you have some clues to a heathy diet backed up by science, beyond the obvious.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
For the sake of the species,

For the sake of the species, I think you should eat the weak, stupid and inadequate. Roast an antisocial Libertarian fry cook over the glowing cinders of his dog-eared and semen-stained first edition of Atlas Shrugged. Make lau-lau of a Baptist minister by wrapping him in fig leaves, and burying him under literal fire and brimstone with an apple in his mouth. Show up at a neo-con's door, and tell him you're ready to cut some pork.

Evidently, I'm feeling violent today.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I want salt on that, but

I want salt on that, but should I trust my taste buds?    

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:For the sake

magilum wrote:

For the sake of the species, I think you should eat the weak, stupid and inadequate. Roast an antisocial Libertarian fry cook over the glowing cinders of his dog-eared and semen-stained first edition of Atlas Shrugged. Make lau-lau of a Baptist minister by wrapping him in fig leaves, and burying him under literal fire and brimstone with an apple in his mouth. Show up at a neo-con's door, and tell him you're ready to cut some pork.

Evidently, I'm feeling violent today.

Eww... dude that sick... seriously, how the fuck can you stomach that? seek help man...

i mean... come on... fig leaves? gross

What Would Kharn Do?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Start with a high fiber

Start with a high fiber cereal and skim milk, along with some fruit for potassium, and then drink an entire liquified human placenta over the course of the day (remember, lots of small meals is best).  Treat yourself to some organic oatmeal cookies or a handful of berries to catch up on fiber and try and get in another tall glass of skim milk at some point.  Obviously sub out skim for soy if you're lactose intolerant.

Oh, and try and get the placenta from a white baby if at all possible.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is the best diet? We

What is the best diet? We don't know yet.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm not a RD, but I

Well, I'm not a RD, but I can give you some broad answers.  I am a foodie and a science geek, and that goes a long way.

First, there is no "best diet."  The reason RD's spend so long getting their training is that diets need to be specifically tailored to an individual.  Each metabolism works a little differently.  Also, some people want the "best diet for me to lose weight" while others want "the best diet for me to put on muscle mass," and others want to control their Type II diabetes.

With all that said, there are simple rules that you can follow that, for most people, will keep them pretty damn healthy and will also taste really good.  (Remember, you may not actually want "the best diet."  It might be a pain in the ass to prepare, expensive, and generally unpalatable.)

1.  Fresh is pretty much always better.  Prepare fresh vegetables.  Eat fresh fruit.  Go to a butcher to get freshly killed meat.  Make your own fruit juice with a juicer, and drink it within 24 hours.  Even better, drink it within an hour.

2. Steam vegetables instead of boiling.  Not only do they taste better, but for the average cook, it's easier to cook them such that they have more usable nutrients when you eat them.  (There's a lot of hoo-ha out there about veggies and maximum nutrient absorption.  You have to have a freaking science lab to maximize it.  Steaming is good.)

3. Avoid processed food.  This is another way of saying "Eat fresh food" but it's worth mentioning.  Again, with lots of research, you can find out what kinds of processing do what, and where you're getting harmful addatives, but the fact is, if you're cooking with fresh food, you are avoiding the whole issue.  Local farmers markets are the best, especially when you can develop a relationship with the farmers, and maybe even see firsthand how they raise their wares.

4. It's true.  A glass of red wine is good for you.

5.  Yes, there's mercury in seafood, but there's shit in everything now, and fish is really good for you.  If you like sushi, eat as much as you want, but avoid the stupid Philadelphia rolls with all the cream cheese.  Go for raw rolls over fried or otherwise Americanized.  If you're cooking fish for yourself, don't overcook it and either bake it or pan fry it in a little bit of good olive oil.  (Oh... remember, fresh fish from the ocean can be eaten raw or undercooked.  Always thoroughly cook freshwater fish.  Me, I just eat stuff from the sea, and it settles the whole issue.)

6. Salt is good for you in the right doses.  If you're not eating processed foods, it's ok to add some salt.  Salt should be added while you're cooking, not at the table.  A pinch of salt brings out lots of the natural flavor in food.  Typically, if you're cooking on the stovetop, wait until you're almost done and check for taste.  If it's a little bland, add salt, a pinch at a time, stir in for 30 seconds, and check for taste again.  You can always add more salt, but you can't take it away.  (I haven't had a salt shaker on the table in ten years.  Never need it.)

7.  Tea is good for you.  Coffee isn't particularly good for you.  Drink both without sugar.

8.  Completely cut out all sodas.  They're poison.  (Ok... you can have ginger with your Jack or coke with your rum.  I wouldn't do that to a man...)

9.  Drink about three times as much water as you think you ought to drink.

10.  Learn to sweeten dishes without adding sugar.  There's sugar in damn near everything.  With proper cooking techniques, you can bring sweetness out in almost anything.

11. The "Three meals a day" thing is a crock.  Eat small amounts when you're hungry.  Remember that humans are evolutionarily designed to eat more than they need at a sitting.  Don't give in to that urge.  Eat until you're just comfortable, drink lots of water after you eat.  (If you're too full to drink lots of water, you ate too much.)

12.  And finally, the twelfth in Hambydammit's "12 Steps to a Reasonably Healthy Diet":  Moderation, moderation, moderation.  You don't have to go vegan or cut out red meat or never eat sugar, salt, or potato chips.  Just use some common sense.  The shit that's really bad for you like potato chips?  Once a month.  Cheesecake?  Get a pretty girl to go with you to dinner and split one piece with her, then work off the calories later.  You get the drift, right?  Moderation!

Other things you ought to know:  Deep frying is never the most healthy option, but if you learn to do it right, you can minimize the amount of added fat while maximizing flavor.  If your temperature is too low, it's going to absorb more fat.  If you want to deep fry, invest in a small deepfryer and a thermometer.  It makes a big difference.

A lot of the love-handles and muffin tops you see on Americans is the result of filler food -- food with lots of bulk and not much nutritional value.  What you want to do is maximize your nutrient absorption while keeping your caloric intake the same (or reducing it).  Rather than eating a sandwich, put a piece of fish or meat on top of a salad.  Fresh Greens > Bread.

You don't have to represent all the food groups at every meal.  Just get a healthy serving of the big ones -- protein, vegetables, and fruit -- each day, and you'll be fine.  Dairy doesn't need to be a food group.  You can get your calcium elsewhere.  Rice and potatoes are not particularly nutritious, and they're bulky.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:9.  Drink

Hambydammit wrote:

9.  Drink about three times as much water as you think you ought to drink.

You advice seems to lead to run-away water drinking inflation. Smiling

I'm up to 24 glasses, and tomorrow looks like 72!

Anyway, good advice.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You advice seems to

Quote:

You advice seems to lead to run-away water drinking inflation. Smiling

I'm up to 24 glasses, and tomorrow looks like 72!

Anyway, good advice.

Hmmm... I hadn't considered this.  On reflection, I think I will amend my advice thusly:

9. On the first day, drink about three times as much water as you think you ought.  Each successive day, begin with a baseline amount equal to the first day, adjusted for relative differences in ambient temperature, amount of physical activity, and other variables that seem relevant, and multiply by three.  Drink that much.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Hamby and basically I

Thanks a bunch Hamby and I basically agree, and try to eat as you say, but what does the science say?

Darn, I'd written some more detailed questions about old nutrition fads, and the new current ideas going around, which remind me of "new age" woo woo nutrition, that I intended to get to asking. I've misplaced those notes, which I thought biologists, such as DG could best answer.

Stuff like: healthy protein intake amount - soy was good, now it's not - pure yeast can be messed up, only factory controlled "sprouts" are best - enzymes - vitamins - etc etc.

For example, the ancient Eskimo fish blubber diet has always fascinated me .... umm yeah, raw fish, and a sea weed salad ???

A healthy diet is ??? Surly, biology knows best .... ?