"Anonymous" hacker group member caught

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Anonymous" hacker group member caught

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10751346

Prosecutors say Guzner, has agreed to plead guilty.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
Ugg, if you want to see evidence, then stop bickering about it and watch one of the trillion billion quadrillion videos of people peacefully protesting.

That is not evidence that Anonymous has made a greater impact for the rational thought movement than any of the groups Maggie decided to desparage.

EDIT:

Amusing comparison:

Given thay Anonymous is so fond of Guy Falks masks, and the ideology behind making sweeping changes is rather similar (violent force over reason), do tell - whom do you think made a greater societal impact: Guy Falks, or the scholars of antiquity?

How about either of those versus unimaginative toadies?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Why would I compare

Quote:
Why would I compare them to Sagan? I was comparing the benign protest kids to an embittered, myopic loner. Guess who.

...I think the better question would be, 'Why would you be comparing the 'benign' kids to Kevin Brown?'

I don't recall claiming to start any kind of arousal movement. Moreover, your personal opinion that hacking isn't unethical is irrelevant (clearly it's malicious enough that you don't care to have it happen to you, as you've already stated); DDOS attacks aren't 'benign'.

You're turning this into a personal matter. I'm rather curious as to why?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
Why would I compare them to Sagan? I was comparing the benign protest kids to an embittered, myopic loner. Guess who.

...I think the better question would be, 'Why would you be comparing the 'benign' kids to Kevin Brown?'

I don't recall claiming to start any kind of arousal movement.

Then your comments are idle, rhetorical, and naive armchair quarterbacking. It's not that people like you are useless, but you're cannon fodder; mindless parrots.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Moreover, your personal opinion that hacking isn't unethical is irrelevant (clearly it's malicious enough that you don't care to have it happen to you, as you've already stated); DDOS attacks aren't 'benign'.

Sigh! We've already gone over the different types of people involved with "Anonymous," and their lack of an explicit connection to one another (e.g. there's not even tacit approval necessary from one cell to the next). No one capable of posting is as dense as this, so it can only be dishonesty. Which follows, given that your position relies on framing things apples-to-apples that just ain't so.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

You're turning this into a personal matter. I'm rather curious as to why?

Should it be an impersonal matter? I guess if one's involvement is theoretical, it follows.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Sigh! We've

magilum wrote:

Sigh! We've already gone over the different types of people involved with "Anonymous," and their lack of an explicit connection to one another (e.g. there's not even tacit approval necessary from one cell to the next). No one capable of posting is as dense as this, so it can only be dishonesty. Which follows, given that your position relies on framing things apples-to-apples that just ain't so.

Should it be an impersonal matter? I guess if one's involvement is theoretical, it follows.

If I thought there would be no repercussions then I would advocate a 'Disavowal Challenge' LMAO.

Give away flash drives with ip's and proxy paths of alleged 'anonymous' members for people who say, "I'm Anonymous, but I'm not legion. I didn't expect this."

Sorry, magilum. Everyone is judged by the company they keep and the ideas they defend. These aren't attacks on you or your character. I genuinely enjoy our internet interactions.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:magilum

darth_josh wrote:

magilum wrote:

If I thought there would be no repercussions then I would advocate a 'Disavowal Challenge' LMAO.

Give away flash drives with ip's and proxy paths of alleged 'anonymous' members for people who say, "I'm Anonymous, but I'm not legion. I didn't expect this."

Sorry, magilum. Everyone is judged by the company they keep and the ideas they defend. These aren't attacks on you or your character. I genuinely enjoy our internet interactions.

You don't need to qualify your remarks. My feelings won't be hurt. Some will know of them as e-terrorists because they read articles about some script kiddies; some will know them as goofy protesters; some will know them via ominous videos and graphic design campaigns. Each view is, in its way, self-legitimating, partly valid, and yet incomplete. They are what they are, but their effects will lie with what people think they are. The prevailing impression may be something benign, or something radical, or even extremely negative. One calling themselves "Anonymous" could walk into a Denny's and start spraying automatic fire into the patrons; and that would be the big, lasting impression. This is what a movement looks like; what every movement looks like, really (including modern atheists and skeptics); presented honestly and without its training wheels. We're always on the edge, worrying about credibility (or not worrying about it at all). What it is is as varied as the individuals represented, and as homogenous as the basic idea they've clustered around (different ideas, actually). It's different from a formal organization in that it's not laboriously, and often disingenuously, presenting a united front. "We are legion" is a slogan someone came up with, and others adopted, because it was fun to repeat, or threatening, or appealed in some other way. I've had something to do with a few videos, and no one told me what to do. I took from it whatever symbols of unity I wanted to, and the rest was my own invention.

I'm seeing the falsehood of the formal organization; which I liken to codified morals. There's a Euthyphro problem here. It's not so much that a formal organization necessarily functions well, beyond impressing some of its members with a sense of committed obligation (which affects some people constructively, and causes others to dig their heels in against any authority), it's that what doesn't work is stricken from the record. The rogue limbs are amputated, keeping the body pristine, albeit smaller. Look at the Dawkins thing. That's how it is when you have to play politics. Nasty things happen, but you have to keep up appearances.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was FTW, mag.

That was FTW, mag.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.