Go Phillies!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Go Phillies!

Woohooo! Phillies win. They only need to win one more out of 3 possible games to go to the world series! Hopefully they win both!!!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
They're going to the World

They're going to the World Series!! 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hell, yeah! Let's hope they

Hell, yeah! Let's hope they win this time! I'm DOMA* right now and really want to see them win and get a championship t shirt.

* DOMA = Drunk Off My Ass

Baseball on TV is boring so I listen on the radio while online and gaming.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I watched it on the computer

I watched it on the computer while I was browsing the net. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I check the websites, but I

I check the websites, but I have a battery radio I have on.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man, LA was hot as hell

Man, LA was hot as hell coming into the NLCS, but Philly cooled them down real quick like. 

The National League didn't pan out at all like I'd hoped (WTF CUBS), but the American League is still looking favorable.  If the Rays can pull it off, it'll be one of the biggest turnarounds in MLB history.  Well, it already is, actually. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
{DISCLAIMER:  Die Hard

{DISCLAIMER:  Die Hard Cardinals Fan Alert}

There is some happiness for me in the total collapse of the Cubs.  My redbird blood couldn't tolerate something as poetic as a return to greatness right at 100 years.   It's difficult for me to pick between the Dodgers and Phillies.  Honestly, it just doesn't matter.  On the other hand, I'm pretty convinced that a Phillies - Devil Rays world series would rival the Marlins - New York world series for the most uninteresting matchup in history.  I was really hoping for Dodgers / Red Sox.  I really wanted to see Nomar and Manny getting to face Papelbon.  Now that's sports drama.

I have an inherent moral objection to any team from Florida in any sport except shuffleboard, so if the Rays make the series, I'll have to become a Phillies fan by default.  I still don't know how I feel about that.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm a big Cardinals fan too,

I'm a big Cardinals fan too, but since this season was shit and the Phillies are the local team I'm rooting for them. As per Flordia (and other places) I feel that any city where you can't play hockey outdoors in the winter shouldn't be allowed to have an NHL team.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I find hockey to

Actually, I find hockey to be interminably boring on TV.  It's fun to watch in person, but there's just no good reason for wasting electricity to broadcast it.  It must be a northern thing.  In any case, I'm saying I agree with you.  No outdoor hockey rinks, no hockey.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They even have a franchise

They even have a franchise in fucking Phoenix! You can't play hockey outside in Phoenix. Ever. That makes about as much sense as a Nebraska surfing team. I actually find baseball on TV boring - because it's so incerdibly slow. In person is different there, but it's good for the radio when you're doing other stuff.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

{DISCLAIMER:  Die Hard Cardinals Fan Alert}

There is some happiness for me in the total collapse of the Cubs.  My redbird blood couldn't tolerate something as poetic as a return to greatness right at 100 years.   It's difficult for me to pick between the Dodgers and Phillies.  Honestly, it just doesn't matter.  On the other hand, I'm pretty convinced that a Phillies - Devil Rays world series would rival the Marlins - New York world series for the most uninteresting matchup in history.  I was really hoping for Dodgers / Red Sox.  I really wanted to see Nomar and Manny getting to face Papelbon.  Now that's sports drama.

I have an inherent moral objection to any team from Florida in any sport except shuffleboard, so if the Rays make the series, I'll have to become a Phillies fan by default.  I still don't know how I feel about that.

I hear ya. 

I'm not a die hard Cubs fan per se, but just a big NL Central fan in general.  I live in the Reds' broadcast region, so those are the games I usually catch, but I've been leaning toward Chicago and especially Milwaukee in recent years.  The Brewers, boy--now there's an exciting young team.  I was happy for them when they picked up the wild card, but I wasn't expecting much.  I'll be surprised and disappointed if they don't win a pennant in the next 5 years though.  They've got 2 young monsters at the plate in Fielder and Braun, and if they can hold on to Sabathia...well, it should be scary. 

But yeah, I'm also not a regular Rays fan, but it makes me laugh every time I think about Steinbrener paying more for the left side of his infield than the Rays' entire team. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Much as I hate it for

Much as I hate it for Milwaukee, I just don't think they have the economic base to support a team that can consistently win in the NL Central.  A lot of people don't realize it, but the Cards' fan base is huge.  Have you been to one of their games?  Everybody in the stadium has $200 of official apparel on.  People wear that shit to work for a hundred miles in any direction of St. Louis.  They are dedicated and smart fans.

I'm going to be really interested to see how Braun pans out in the next couple of years.  Nobody took him seriously until after the All-Star Break this year.  Pitchers will adjust next year.  (Remember Jeff Franceour for the Braves?  Once everybody figured out how to pitch to him, that was the end of it, and he had one of the best rookie seasons ever.)

Fielder is a proven force.  I expect him to be a factor for many years to come.  Sheets... well... that poor guy is never going to pitch a whole season.  Too bad, too.  Great stuff.  I wouldn't count on Sabathia's return.  The Yankees are rich and they need pitching.  They typically get what they want, no matter the cost.

Of course, I could say the same kinds of things about the Cards as I said about the Brewers.  Pujols is about the only proven hitter on the team, but damn, they made a lot out of a little this year.  I thought they did really well for what they had.  If they could grab some pitching in the off season, they could be good.

Books about atheism

scole665
User is offlineOffline
Still love the yotes

Don't begrudge Phoenician's the chance to love hockey. On the professional level it's played indoors everything in the US (With a once a year exception). Plus, it's not like any of the players are from Phoenix.  See what a dollar can do to bring people to the Valley of the Sun. Go Yotes, let's a least get a play-off spot this year you SOB's!  I still love the Flyers most of all, though (you can take the boy out of Scranton, but you can't take the Philly out of the boy)

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Phoenecians? That culture

Phoenecians? That culture has been extinct for millenia.

scole665
User is offlineOffline
Well....

MattShizzle wrote:

Phoenecians? That culture has been extinct for millenia.

Well, I was thinking more on the lines of a Tusconan, a Flagstaffan or a Tempean... a Mesan maybe.... A Pheonician....one who resides in the city of Phoenix, AZ. Anyway, GOOO Phillies, Gooooo Flyers and Gooooo Coyotes!

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arizonans begging for hockey

Arizonans begging for hockey is proof man was not meant to live in the desert.

Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Much as I

Hambydammit wrote:

Much as I hate it for Milwaukee, I just don't think they have the economic base to support a team that can consistently win in the NL Central.  A lot of people don't realize it, but the Cards' fan base is huge.  Have you been to one of their games?  Everybody in the stadium has $200 of official apparel on.  People wear that shit to work for a hundred miles in any direction of St. Louis.  They are dedicated and smart fans.

I'm going to be really interested to see how Braun pans out in the next couple of years.  Nobody took him seriously until after the All-Star Break this year.  Pitchers will adjust next year.  (Remember Jeff Franceour for the Braves?  Once everybody figured out how to pitch to him, that was the end of it, and he had one of the best rookie seasons ever.)

Fielder is a proven force.  I expect him to be a factor for many years to come.  Sheets... well... that poor guy is never going to pitch a whole season.  Too bad, too.  Great stuff.  I wouldn't count on Sabathia's return.  The Yankees are rich and they need pitching.  They typically get what they want, no matter the cost.

Of course, I could say the same kinds of things about the Cards as I said about the Brewers.  Pujols is about the only proven hitter on the team, but damn, they made a lot out of a little this year.  I thought they did really well for what they had.  If they could grab some pitching in the off season, they could be good.

Never been to a Cards game, but I used to catch Bats (River Bats at the time) games when I lived in Louisville.  I got to see Deion Sanders...well, sit the bench actually due to an injury, and I saw Adam Dunn hit a home run before he got called up to the Reds.  My dad, grandfather, brother and I threatened to drive out to Cincy to catch a few games this summer, but it's obvious too late for that now, ha ha.  I've actually been joking about moving to an NL Central city once I'm done with school. 

Yeah, I also doubt that Milwaukee will be able to hang on to Sabathia.  It's a shame too, because he's one of the most ferociously talented pitchers I've ever seen.  I mean the Brewers could potentially build a solid dynasty on the shoulders of Sabathia, Fielder, and Braun.  Who knows though--Steinbrenner could end up with all 3 of them before it's all said and done.

Speaking of baseball, it's getting wild and wooly down in St. Petersburg.  It's funny how the Dodgers were better with Manny, and the Red Sox are better without him.  Can't wait for tomorrow night, it should be classic. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yeah, I also doubt

Quote:
Yeah, I also doubt that Milwaukee will be able to hang on to Sabathia.  It's a shame too, because he's one of the most ferociously talented pitchers I've ever seen.  I mean the Brewers could potentially build a solid dynasty on the shoulders of Sabathia, Fielder, and Braun.  Who knows though--Steinbrenner could end up with all 3 of them before it's all said and done.

Steinbrenner the Second and Steinbrenner the Second-and-a-half are not nearly as business savvy as their dad, in my opinion.  I think the current incarnation of The Evil Empire is winding itself down, no matter how much money they have.  That's not to say they won't contend.  With that much money, they'll be able to put together good teams, but as they've already learned, all the talent money can buy doesn't produce a World Series Champion without a lot more components, starting at the top and going all the way through the organization.

Of course, as Milwaukee knows, all the talent very little money can buy isn't enough to sustain a dynasty either.  Sabathia is a monster, and he'll be able to take his pick of probably four or five yearly contenders.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mets, Dodgers, Yankees, Angels, and Red Sox all make a play for him in the off season.  It's going be hard for him to pass up the twenty or so million a year he's going to be able to get without batting an eye.  Consider that Santana just landed a 137.5 million dollar deal for six years.  Sabathia is considered to be a stronger pitcher than Santana by many scouts.

Quote:
Speaking of baseball, it's getting wild and wooly down in St. Petersburg.  It's funny how the Dodgers were better with Manny, and the Red Sox are better without him.  Can't wait for tomorrow night, it should be classic.

Never, ever, ever count the Red Sox out, especially in an elimination game.  John Lester's got to be pissed as hell about getting smacked around in his first start.  He's going to be out for blood.

Manny, IMHO, is one of those guys who just needs a change of scenery every few years.  He's a drama queen, and people get tired of drama queens, no matter how many homeruns they hit.  Next to Pujols, Manny's probably the best right handed hitter in the game right now, but the thing that rocks so hard about Pujols is how much of a team guy he is.  When he discovered that his fielding was a hindrance to the team, he took extra fielding practice for half a season and improved to the point of being a better than average fielder.  When do you think Manny last took extra flies?  He's still just as shitty an outfielder as ever.  Pujols will go for whatever hit is the most beneficial to the team.  Need a ground ball to the right to advance the runner to third?  He'll do it.  Sac fly?  Got it.  Home run?  Sure.  Manny, on the other hand, seems to only feel like his services are deserved when a big RBI is needed.

For a fantasy league, it's a pick-em, depending on what stats you want.  For a real team, give me Pujols any day.

Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Rays just won the AL

The Rays just won the AL pennant. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hope the Phillies kick their

Hope the Phillies kick their ass and bring the first sports parade down Broad Street since 1983!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The Rays just won the

Quote:

Fucking Big Pappi and Drew blew their chance.  I think I'm going to ignore the entire World Series.  That way, I won't have to feel any sort of attachment to either team.

Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:The

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Fucking Big Pappi and Drew blew their chance.  I think I'm going to ignore the entire World Series.  That way, I won't have to feel any sort of attachment to either team.

They shoulda called Manny back for one game.  He'd have gone yard, no doubt. 

Or wandered the streets with his pants down for the last 3 innings.  It's a grab bag really, now that I think about it. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Phils win game 1!

Phils win game 1!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They're now up 3 games to 1.

They're now up 3 games to 1. One more game and we can finally have a parade up Broad Street again!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wooohooo!!!! Phinally a

Wooohooo!!!! Phinally a title! Bet that will be a huge parade!!    

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 It's about fucking

It's about fucking time!!!

WOOT!!!

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Rays were

The Rays were robbed.

Kidding.  Philly deserved it though.  They tore the post season a new one this time around. 

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:The Rays were

jmm wrote:

The Rays were robbed. 

Kidding.  Philly deserved it though.  They tore the post season a new one this time around. 

Yes, well, I recall a certain theist who was crowning Tampa Bay as this years champs cause they "dropped" the word 'DEVIL' from their name. (Or was that the L.A. Angels... maybe both, huh.)

[ /Insert god's lack of power here ]

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I bet there's a lot of

I bet there's a lot of hungover people today. If you're not from the area, you should have seen the news last night showing the crowds filling Broad Street - it had to be 10s if not 100s of thousands of people. The noise over the radio from the stadium was huge!

Edit: The Noon news was no stories but stuff about the Phillies - except a shorter than usual weather. Of course they had about the asshats that use this as an excuse to destroy property.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 For those of you who were

For those of you who were in the chat room when I predicted that this would be the most boring World Series ever, the ratings are in.

This really was, according to Nielson, the most boring World Series ever.

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think if those people that

I think if those people that use something like this as an excuse to do damage/riot get caught their sentence should include a ban from attending any sporting event or going to any bars and their cable or satellite provider should be required to block any sporting events from their tv.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Pick up your gear here, and

Pick up your gear here, and a little kickback goes to RRS.  Also you get free shipping until tomorrow....

Phillies World Champs

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: For

Hambydammit wrote:

For those of you who were in the chat room when I predicted that this would be the most boring World Series ever, the ratings are in.

This really was, according to Nielson, the most boring World Series ever.

I couldn't agree more.  Don't get me wrong, I was stoked for the Rays, but jeez.  What can you expect though?  Philadelphia sports as a whole isn't exactly popular outside of...well, Philadelphia, and Florida is a notoriously un-baseball state.  The obligatory infield dogpile was even lackluster. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think this is the first

I think this is the first time that basketball eclipsed the World Series in viewership on any given night.  (So said a radio jockey anyway, and who am I to question the radio?)

But yeah, according to the Nielson ratings, this was the least watched World Series since they started doing the ratings.  That ought to say something.  Of course, baseball has done this to itself over the last decade or two, but that's a huge can of worms that I'm not sure I want to open.  The point is, a good WAC football game could probably beat out the baseball playoffs right now.

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Technically Philly teams

Technically Philly teams aren't JUST the home teams for Philadelphia itself -they are considered so for all of Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Southern NJ (Western PA roots for Pittsburgh and Northern NJ for New York teams mostly. )