Follow-up: What atheists can't answer.

Venomfangx
User is offlineOffline
Follow-up: What atheists can't answer.

This is a follow-up to my first post here at "The Rational Response Squad". These unlike my former post are not my arguments. They are strong arguments presented by other theists like myself that presented good arguments that atheists have been unable to answer and attempt to deviate from the argument (Quoting one atheist who tried to counter the first.)

"Mr. Marshall suffers from the common creationist misapprehension that evolution is fundamentally a random process. It isn't. It is undirected, in the sense of not having long-term goals, but it is not random. The process of evolution proceeds through the interaction of random (with respect to fitness) mutations and natural selection. The latter is quite definitely a non-random process. Once again, evolution arises from the interaction of stochastic and non-stochastic processes, and is therefore not purely random.

Further, Marshall's claim that "noise always destroys the signal" is factually false, and he should know it given his field of expertise. There are circumstances in which adding stochastic noise to a system enhances the system's performance. See here, here, and here for examples. The latter is in a communication framework, by the way. More generally, I suggest Marshall look up "stochastic resonance" for more examples.

I suggest that Mr. Marshall acquaint himself with Evolutionary Computing. In any number of applications, random mutations coupled with selection generate distinctly non-random outcomes. My company uses evolutionary algorithms employing random mutations (a Mersenne twister generates them) and selection to produce very non-random adaptations of artificial agents that must operate successfully in a complex adaptive system out in the real world. If they didn't operate successfully I'd have some very unhappy clients."

The original argument was this:

"

Gentlemen:

The starting point of this discussion is my central thesis, which is:

1) DNA is not merely a molecule with a pattern; it is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism.
2) All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information.
3) Therefore DNA was designed by a mind.

If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.

Perry Marshall

"

I would like to challenge everyone here to Perry Marshall's argument as well. I find it interesting how statistics reveal the majority of scientists to be atheists or have little religious faith and are portrayed as intellectuals when they never question this argument. Such as your assertions of blind faith in christianity, it takes blind faith in your conclusions.

Another argument was presented by Mr. Michael Gerson of the Washington Post. The link to it is here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/12/AR2007071201620.html

One of my favorite paragraphs he wrote was this particularly:

"By the evidence of the New York Times bestseller list, God has recently been bathed in such tributes. An irreverent trinity -- Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins -- has sold a lot of books accusing theism of fostering hatred, repressing sexuality and mutilating children (Hitchens doesn't approve of male circumcision). Every miracle is a fraud. Every mystic is a madman. And this atheism is presented as a war of liberation against centuries of spiritual tyranny."

Again, these are not my arguments. I wanted to keep my arguments and arguments by others that atheists have been unable to refute seperate. My original arguments can be seen here: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15619

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Very true, Bob,

BMcD wrote:

Very true, Bob, but when refuting the claims of 'there's a consciousness responsible!!!!', it's just better to avoid systems where, you know, there's a consciousness involved. Why give them the branch to cling to?

I acknowledge you do have a point, at least in terms of strategy...

We know they are typically not going to read it with enough understanding to realize it in no way supports their position.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
And saves us the effort of

And saves us the effort of arguing with them when they say 'AH-HA! But computers are made by MAN!'

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Humans invented god , but me

Humans invented god , but me god wasn't invented , nor created, as I always was and always will be .... my best human name is thermodynamics, where no separative name applies. Me god is all as you .... 

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:my

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

my best human name is thermodynamics

IAGAY, I cannot believe your parents were so cruel as to name you 'Thermodynamics'. Eye-wink

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 BMcD,     My wonderful

BMcD   My wonderful late caring parents also kindly gave me the social earth name, Mark, and told me I was god, as all is god .... It stuck, and still makes perfect sense to me .... so as is godly thermodynamics ....  

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
?

VenomFangX still hasn't posted any kind of response. He actually left. Maybe he concluded that Satan was running this forum and trying to lure him away from Jesus.

I can certainly understand why. Both of his threads were completely debunked, with one of his arguments proven to be a plagiarism.

Comparing his initial posts with the way the threads ended, it's pretty obvious that he underestimated us. We're lost sheep, blasphemous infidels; he thought we would just spew meaningless insults representative of the savages that we are. It's like he thought God was on his side or something. 

Although it's encouraging that assertions from fundamentalists are so easy to debunk, it is also kind of disturbing that someone could have their positions absolutely annihilated repeatedly and, yet continue to espouse the same tired arguments.      

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
.... maybe atheist jesus has

.... maybe atheist jesus has saved him! He is hopefully having a 40 day break thru ....

The Doors - Break On Through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tah0OnS3nBU

NarcolepticSun
User is offlineOffline
Venomfangx

Venomfangx wrote:

Gentlemen:

The starting point of this discussion is my central thesis, which is:

1) DNA is not merely a molecule with a pattern; it is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism.
2) All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information.

If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.

DNA is comprised of atoms. Your claim that DNA definitively is also code and language has no basis beyond your personal perception. Are electrons that orbit a necleus also communicating? And does this also mean that an electon orbiting a necleus must have also, somehow, been designed by a mind?

What is the basis for your claims? Tell me why I should accept statement 1 or 2 before you tell me to debunk your nonsense.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Even

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Even languages "EVOLVE"

For the record, languages change over time, but they are not self replicating, and there is no such thing as a unit of language selection.  They don't evolve in the scientific sense.  Only replicators evolve, and only DNA and RNA are replicators on earth at this time.

Sorry, I was just skimming this thread and wanted to point out that languages do evolve. By evolve I mean change over time and the study of language of evolution is scientific. Languages usually change because of certain sounds or a series of sounds is hard to pronounce. When this happens to phonemes will split into allophones. Eventually, enough changes will happen that the conditions that created the allophones will no longer exist within the word and two distinct phonemes will be created. This will eventually lead to the language having far to many different sounds which will make it very complex and more changes will have to be made to reduce the number of phonemes.

Sorry for going off topic, I just wanted to point that out.

Also is this the same venomfangx from youtube?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Also is this the same

Also is this the same venomfangx from youtube?  .... Seems so.

Yeah language evolves, as I proclaim, "We are G-O-D" ... as says thermodynamics.

Free_Thinker86
User is offlineOffline
*Sigh*

Don't ya hate it? When a Theist poses a question that he/she believes is irrefutable evidence for the existence of his/her god, they just reject any response that is not supportive.. a sort of metaphorical plugging of their ears and screaming "LALALALALA!"

Then, when enough evidence has finally been provided they either scream louder, or disappear. Why is it so hard for these people to admit they are wrong? It happens in all topics in life but it seems to happen the most .. correction.. it DOES happen the most when religious topics are being "discussed."

By the way, I was going to bring up the argument that if you are looking at DNA as a code to make a human and you wanted proof of this happening somewhere else in nature I was going to say look at water. Someone else has already mentioned this I believe but I wanted to put it in a way a basic mind could understand because I believe that sometimes a theist gets confused and doesn't fully understand the way things work even when explained and rather than trying harder to understand they push it away.

So you want a natural event without the use of a conscious mind that mirrors the workings of DNA... H2O... the "DNA" of water. Yes water can be made through a conscious mind, it's called sweat! Granted sweat contains more then just H2O but it is basically bodily generated water to help regulate body temperature; But what about rain? A conscious mind didn't create clouds, in the simplest of terms clouds are water vapor up in the sky, how did it get their? By completely natural events taking place with the total absence of a conscious mind.

You see, DNA is basically a blueprint for building our individual bodies. What is H2O but the blueprint for water? Granted DNA is so much more complex than H2O but what does DNA do? It "directs" things on how they go together... so... You take One Hydrogen and 2 Oxygen molecules and you get WATER and this process is also self directed.. and if you are thinking it's not look outside next time it rains and you will be watching the process in live action! oh and once again this happens by its self with no conscious mind to guide it Laughing out loud...

Now if only this V dude were still around to read that.

Mazid the Raider
Rational VIP!Science Freak
Mazid the Raider's picture
User is offlineOffline
*sigh* I thought so...

When I saw that (as of 10/24/08) Venomfangx has only posted 10 times I knew it was too much to hope that he actually stuck around to read the real responses (not just taking the ever-so-appropriate hazing as everyone's answer).

I want to point out something about the original poster himself: Do you think "Venom Fang", regardless of extra letters added to the end, is a coincidental name? I don't. It seems that his telegraphed tactic du jour is to come in suddenly, inject his venom (aka his favorite christist dogma - funny how even he considers it to be poisonous), and leave, waiting for the poison to work its way through the veins of the Rational Response Squad. This was the tactic he used in his YouTube videos, which provided him a way to spew blithering nonsense and lies without immediate response and refutation, and we all saw how that turned out for him.

Unfortunately for his method, we're pretty well innoculated against his venom, leaving him in the position of just being someone who bites the big one (as we comprise, of course, one of the largest atheist forums on the internet.

To put it more bluntly: Venomfangx? You bite.

P.S. I wouldn't have taken the time to set that up instead of responding if so many others hadn't so effectively smooshed his argument into the dirt where it belongs (along with assertations like "I win because I say so!" ). Thanks guys!

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie
Entomophila says: Ew. AN outie

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Venomfangx wrote:Marshall

Marshall wrote:

Perry Marshall

I thought this one was already crushed. Seriously, it's just changing the game so that it can't be won. DNA IS merely a molecule with a pattern. Lots of patterns occur in nature. If you want those to be a "language" and consider them "information", you can go right ahead. That's an arbitrary distinction that our pattern-finding minds will make. You could consider the sun an information storage mechanism. It dynamically holds quite a lot of "information" together. A moon or planet is also a big construction of molecules.

1) DNA has a pattern recognized by a mind

2) Minds recognize patterns

3) Therefore DNA is a pattern

It's not all that dramatic. Life happens in the universe, like gravity or radiation. Why? I don't know. That doesn't mean there's a SuperMind.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
All objections against you,

What an atheist can answer.

All objections against us, saying we are not god have been crushed long ago , and today we have thermodynamics. All is g-o-d, all is ONE.

Not that I needed proof that I am god as you .... It's gnosis , just knowing, we just do, we know. Nothing about being god is questionable. ZERO doubt, I AM GOD .....

A Devout Christian
User is offlineOffline
 Are you the real

Are you the real VenomFangX? Because I don't like the real VenomFangX.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Come on ADC, own up.  I

Come on ADC, own up.  I caught you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

A Devout Christian
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Come on

Hambydammit wrote:

Come on ADC, own up.  I caught you.

Caught me doing what?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
come on, dude.  I caught

come on, dude.  I caught you being an atheist.  It's ok.  It's a good prank.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

A Devout Christian
User is offlineOffline
Yes, I'm an atheist. It

Yes, I'm an atheist. It isn't a prank though.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah , reverse the question,

Yeah , reverse the question, what is not god? Fuck separatism as thermodynamics explains today ... tested too ... Science says all is one, all is god. Nothing to pray to, nothing to worship, no master, as the early atheist buddha and then plato, then  jesus etc etc early scientists said hypothetically .... The birth of science , yea  ....

Kill idol worship , we are god. All is god.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yes, I'm an atheist.

Quote:

I know what it is.  It may not be a prank, but you still gave yourself away.  I'm a human lie detector.  Smiling

Books about atheism

A Devout Christian
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Yes,

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I know what it is.  It may not be a prank, but you still gave yourself away.  I'm a human lie detector.  Smiling

Was it my basic grasp of the English language that gave me away?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Was it my basic grasp

Quote:

You have demonstrated a basic grasp of logic, and that gave you away.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hell, you may not want to

Hell, you may not want to know this, but I'm drunk as shit, and I still caught you.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
To say anything is babel

To say anything is babel

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Devout Christian wrote:Was

A Devout Christian wrote:

Y'know, it's odd, but that might be a good indication. The reason it's odd is that I can't think of any reason for a correlation, but it definitely rears its ugly head on this site.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
To call one self a Christian

To call one self a Christian is blasphemy, obviously .... All that is, is not something to worship as religion does dogmatically. No dance of religion design is truth, excerpt to convey the religious blind are real.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Original Thoughts...

It appears as though my ban on original thought has retroactivly affected venomfangx. It has caused him to steal and use the same old tired "proofs." And for that I appoligize. I have robbed him of his free thought, and thus his humanity. I have decided 3 Tuesdays from now is to long and will reinstate free thought immidiatly. This however does not make me infailable... as I am God and such a thing is not possible. I will however revoke his right to defend me. I need every soldier I can get in this war of irrationa... er ugh... faith. But I dare say he is dead weight and no longer fit to serve me. I am also ending the jihad against "I AM GOD AS YOU" as he has clearly conceded the fact that I am God. And who would blame him? I did say it and my word is unquestionable. Now if you will excuse me I am off to find a virgin and some third rate authors to write a couple books about me.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

jackglass
jackglass's picture
User is offlineOffline
The more and more I hear god

The more and more I hear god believers try and justify whatever god they believe in the more I laugh at their complete lack of good old honest logic. The fact that each religion thinks it right really says it all and should ring home to the logical mind.

Let's say evolution was proved wrong, big deal, it does not change the fact that this planet has so many diverse religions that it will never know what and if there is a right one. Teachings in the bible are twisted to suit the given scenario or country of origin. Let's not forget the bible was for a long time taken as a literal piece of writing, but as common sense and modern science get's a hold of the rational minded people, the book is suddenly not to be taken literally after all...once again religion shifts its already worn out goal posts. How many times will this nonsense go on before they admit they are wrong?

The main difference between science and religion is science searches for real answers based on research and experiments and will admit when it is wrong, not answers thought up because someone had a vision or they felt god was telling them it was so...was god tellig Ted Haggard what to tell his flock or did he forget to mention to Ted that his acts of fornication would send him to hell. He only came out because he was caught red handed, otherwise he would still be preaching his blasphemy to his mindless sheep.

How convenient it must be to be able to always fall back and blame the devil's temptation on your mistakes, yet all those poor folk thought he was almost a prophet, not quite. He has clearly broke one of the golden bible rules, will he go to hell then? He would have a few hundred years ago, but now we are a bit more civilised, god will forgive him this time I suppose because that is the way the bible is interpreted now, some countries would still deal with his acts much more harshly.

One big thing a lot of people forget is that the religion they so dearly believe in was brought to many countries under banners of war, hate and misguided truths, people were forced to believe in a god or be hung, burned or maybe just tortured till they did agree. That is like a disease spreading across this planet and the fact people still follow the same religions that have killed millions in really brutal ways really astounds me. Time does not take away the fact that millions of women were tortured & killed during the witch hunts. You will get the christian reply, we're not like that, you can't blame us for the acts of the few...well yes I can because you follow the very religion they brought to you in the first place through violent and sick means. That means you have conveniently switched off to the horros of the past because it does not suit you to think to much about it incase you do start doubting. Once doubt sets in it's not the devil speaking to you, it's rationality and logic that's built into your genes.

I was brought up in a Pentecostal church called Struthers Memorial and left at 15, I know there are die hards who won't ever listen because they have been religious for such a long time, but there are many folk sitting on the fence, some of these people according to some churches are called back-sliders, sinners, doubtful Thomas, might even be possessed by demons and need to repent...that is forms of control and no better than the many other fanatical cults. It's a more civilised way of torturing the modern human, instead of putting you into an iron maiden, you are psychologically tortured instead, left with feelings of guilt and self loathing, living in fear of a non existent realm called hell.

Angels & demons are no more real than elfs, Thor, goblins or the Greek gods, the fact you believe in what you do is purely by chance, the fact you were born in the west means you will be more likely christian. It's mind-numbingly simple logic, stop living an ilogical lie and see the obvious facts that are stacked against you. Don't say this is what god told me would happen, I am being persecuted for my religion, if anything religion has persecuted this earth and slaughtered millions upon millions of innocent people.

Here endith the lesson Eye-wink

I might believe in a god/goddess if he/she grows an amputee's limb back via prayer or faith healing etc...now that would be a miracle, temporary fixes are no good to us god...we want results.

www.myspace.com/thejackglass

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Nice reading fun spike and

Nice reading fun spike and jack. Cool band Mark, so I added you guys to my music folder ... I AM also Mark, a 57 yr old life long guitarist keyboardist, and a big fan of "riff rock". Clutch is indeed a unique blast with some neato jams .... good live shows too.

Good luck and have fun you atheist warriors, as you "shout at the devil" .... too slaying the dragon of religion. God is not on our side, WE ARE GOD.

Flagg
Flagg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Venomfangx wrote:1) DNA is

Venomfangx wrote:

I've only browsed the responses, and I think many are effective (as well as many that do nothing but yell), but I'll throw my own thought into the ring here. 

First of all, even if we take premises (1) and (2) as completely true and justified, the conclusion doesn't even follow. All you have shown with (1) and (2) is that no natural process known to science created the information; you have not shown that such a state implies a conscious designer. But there are, in fact, problems with your premises. 

For premise (1), DNA is not a code or a language. Language is a tool by which concepts are communicated between one consciousness and another consciousness, and codes are an encryption of language. Since DNA is not itself conscious, this represents a category error that is only used by biologists to make the process more understandable. There is only stored information (pattern), which, when combined with sufficient conditions, will produce an effect determined by the inherent information for that context. That's the way cause and effect works in general. 

For premise (2), then, you are correct - there is no natural process known to science that creates codes. It's an empty set; DNA is not a member of that set because it does not contain encoded language. By the way, if you're interested in a different type of system (i.e. nonliving) in which tons of unrelated information come together to form something highly complex based on an appearance of "encoded language" in each component, study tornadic supercell thunderstorms.  

"When the Lord Jesus Christ in His own words describes in some little detail that great drama that's the most important event in all human history, time, and eternity - this event, the great general judgment - the Lord Jesus Christ, then shall He say unto them on His right hand, 'Come ye blessed of My Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world, for when you had opportunity at one of Billy Graham's campaigns you went forward and took good ol' Jesus as your very own personal savior.' NO! GET REAL!" - Fred Phelps

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Venomfang hasn't been back.

Venomfang hasn't been back. Guess he's too butthurt. Doesn't he delete or disallow comments he doesn't like in his videos? Maybe since he can't do that here....

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Venomfang

MattShizzle wrote:

Venomfang hasn't been back. Guess he's too butthurt. Doesn't he delete or disallow comments he doesn't like in his videos? Maybe since he can't do that here....

He censors comments to his videos worse that the USSR did. On that matter, I highly recommend that everyone here watch his videos. I can hardly imagine a more illogical theist. But then again, he is a young earth creationist, so I suppose you can't get any worse then that.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well then he's an asshat. I

Well then he's an asshat. I only delete and block personal insults and such in mine - or if someone's a total asshat. If they truly want to debate I don't. Anyway, guess he couldn't deal with rational questioning of his idiotic beliefs.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
A revelation of the enemy to

A revelation of the enemy to heal is indeed that Venomfang ... Empathy, no appeasement .... he is sick and blind, so how might we best heal he, this superstitious idol worshiper???