Shark has "virgin birth"

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shark has "virgin birth"

Guess the holy spirit got bored with mary and started laying it to fish.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27107721/

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent... my plan to

Excellent... my plan to populate this planet with a superior lifeform (Sharkpeople ) is coming to fruishon!

What Would Kharn Do?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know morons will jump

You know morons will jump all over this as a "possibility" that Mary was a virgin which would prove that idiots who would claim this have no science background anywhere deep enough to understand the absurdity of such a false link.

AND, even if one were to take this naked assertion on face value, these same idiots probibly didn't get past the first paragraph when it explained that this rare asexual reproduction in such species IS A BIRTH DEFECT!

This is much like two headed snakes or two headed turtles. A genectic fart.

Not to mention that the babble is not written in modern day scientific language and there is no message from Gabrial saying, "Mary, your genes will split and recombine.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Needs more laser eyes.

Needs more laser eyes.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just thought this was an

I just thought this was an interesting article on reproduction. Sharks are rather primitive creatures but this has been noted in lizards as well. Recently a kimodo dragon in captivity gave birth to young without the presence of a male in it's cage. Not sure if the pup was deformed or not but it does add to the mystery of reproduction in animals. My guess would be that this may answer some questions to the evolution of sexual reproduction in higher forms of animals. Perhaps all/most animals reproduced asexually at one point and some genetic mutation is responsible for the formation of male and female genders.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The difference between the

The difference between the theist and the atheist is that when something rare happens, we simply see it for what it is, rare.

We know asexual reproduction exists. That shrinks dramatically the need for a hokus pokus answer.

You cannot equate the ancients interpretation of virgin birth to asexual reproduction. The motif was around long before Christianity. And their guess was more bassed on the idea of purity, not science.

There is absolutly no scientific evidence that asexual reproduction happens in humans, and even if it were discovered, it would not mean that a magical ancient and unscientific fairy tale would be required to explain it.

I simply am afriad in this media's grab for superstitious viewers that people will jump on this like it is a smoking gun.

Saying that sharks have had asexual reproduction means Jesus exists, would actually piss me off, even if they could prove it. WHY, because their dickhead daddy in the sky CHOSE for a history where we all suffered and blamed it on us, then suddenly decided to prove it. It doesn't piss me off in that they can prove it. It pisses me off that someone will read it and buy it.

While Muslims, Christians, Jews and atheists battle it out over "truth" the best daddy can do is provide a cheap parlor trick?

No, this is not a matter of a real god existing, this is a matter of human ego clinging to apples and oranges insisting that they are the same.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog