Christian Morality, Dualism, and Drugs

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian Morality, Dualism, and Drugs

I wonder if any of the Christians lurking about the site have ever considered the problem that drugs create for their religion.  This occurred to me while drinking alcohol, as it turns out, but that's apropos of nothing.

Anyway, here's the problem.  According to Christians, humans have a soul, which is a spiritual entity that transcends the human body.  While we have a brain that controls our body, the "essence" of our being is totally removed from our body.  The body is just a vessel for us to inhabit during our tenure on planet earth.

I was thinking about this concept, and a rather obvious question struck me.  If, as they say, the soul is separate from the body, and our "true self" resides not in our mind, but in our soul, then what's happening when we drink or take drugs?  The scientists say that alcohol is a psychoactive drug that has a depressant effect.  In other words, it interacts with our brains, creating a change in the way the brain works.  This change manifests in social confidence, reduced motor functions, feelings of euphoria, and reduction in reaction time, among others.  But... if changing the brain changes our personality.... then... um... what part of the personality is in the soul?  Other drugs produce more marked effects.  In fact, there are some drugs that can change a person's perceptions and thought processes so radically that they are often described as being "different people" when they're under the influence of the drugs.

But... if chemicals change our perceptions, our personality, our cognitive ability, and our emotions, and they do it by altering our brain, what's left over to be unalterable in our souls?

So, which is it?  Do changes in the brain change our minds, or do changes in the brain change our souls?  If they change our souls, then... um... doesn't that mean that our souls are physical?  If they're physical, what are they?  If they're not physical, then... um... how did something physical interact with them?

While I'm on the subject, if drugs are bad, mmmkay, then why?  A lot of Christians get their panties in a twist about marijuana.  Why?  If it doesn't change your immortal soul, then what's the harm in taking a drug that reduces anxiety and helps you relax?  For that matter, what's so wrong with cocaine?  I mean.. yeah, it can kill you if you take too much, but what's so bad about feeling jittery and talkative for six hours?  If your immortal soul is still going to heaven, what's the justification for getting so upset about changing the body, which is just a temporary vessel anyway?

I remember that when I was a Christian, I had some reason for thinking that drugs were an abomination to God, but I can't for my life remember what it was.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt like's sex !  

Cpt like's sex !  

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt like's a stiff woody ! 

Nicotine isn't so much the problem , but the delivery system of smoking it is .... Nicotine gum is better .....

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
patcleaver

patcleaver wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

........and of all those disease he, for some reason, bolded erectile disfunction.

Yes, I thought it was the only disease that was likely to concern Vastet.

Now, can you explain why you would have noticed?

No proof. Only possible correlations. I have smoked 16 years without a single "symptom". If I ever get one, I'll have already paid for my treatment via smoke taxes. Fail.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Cpt

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Nicotine isn't so much the problem , but the delivery system of smoking it is .... Nicotine gum is better .....

Eww.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
And oh yeah, putting things

And oh yeah, putting things in the black market has worked so well time and time again. And your children will really appreciate your lies if they ever figure it out for themselves. Not.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Cpt

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Cpt like's sex !  

Hate to tell you this but.....

Oh never mind.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  What's that's hole for 

What's that's hole for  ? !!! 

Re: The Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4uLiTUz68

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Lol, I didn't notice it

Lol, I didn't notice it was bolded until cpt pointed it out. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beatz wrote:I don't need to

Beatz wrote:

I don't need to explain Him.

The point of the statement is that I can't fix your lack of belief in God. 

You all have read the Bible, or the buybull as you put it.  And you've passed it off as fiction, or untrue. 

If God exist, couldn't He fix your lack of belief? 

If God exists then he is most likely a rational atheist just like me.

IF God exists then he would not want to fix my lack of belief because only rational people go to heaven.

Believing things without evidence is evil whether God exists or not.

IF God exists he would never cause someone to believe something without evidence because that would be evil.

If God exists he hates the stupid bible more then I do.

when you say "faith" I think "evil lies"
when you say "god" I think "santa clause"

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Pat so clever ....  

Pat so clever ....