We have found the elusive Darwin-Fish!

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
We have found the elusive Darwin-Fish!

"In what could be a first in the world, a fish species known as cichlids has been observed by scientists in the act of splitting into two distinct species in Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest lake and one of the world’s biggest fresh water bodies.

This may be remarkable because what is causing them to diverge are adaptations to their vision as animals and plants try to cope with increased pollution and the effects of climate change. The change is also happening without geographical isolation, which was thought to be a precursor for evolution.
"

FIXED LINK HERE (Hambydammit)

Hooray! We found real-life Darwin Fish!

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
First, what a pleasure to

First, what a pleasure to see you posting!  Thanks for stopping by!

Second... WOW.  How fucking cool.  Incredibly fucking cool.  This made my day.  Seriously.  Wow. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been really busy with

I've been really busy with my work involving the MS Society, had an exacerbation I had to fight through, and enjoying my time with my fiance. But this piece was too cool not to share.

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I've been really busy

Quote:
I've been really busy with my work involving the MS Society, had an exacerbation I had to fight through, and enjoying my time with my fiance. But this piece was too cool not to share.

Well, I'm really glad the MS society thing is keeping you busy, I'm glad you got through your exacerbation, and I'm glad you're having a good time with your fiance.  You know it's always great to see you here, too.

Oh, and you're right.  This is the coolest fucking thing ever.  Fuck those stupid creationist fucktards in their fucking fuckholes, cause now when they say we've never seen a new species evolve, I'm going to tell them where they can go fuck themselves.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now.. if a Cichlid turned

Now.. if a Cichlid turned into a banana.. THAT would be the Atheist's Nightmare!

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for posting this, Jesterspace!

And you and Hamby both are right--this is damned cool!

Conor

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Jester!  Glad to see

Hey Jester!  Glad to see you around here  Smiling

You guys need to get on that site and start arguing with those saying "god works in mysterious ways" and "Thats not evolution!"

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amazing!  Absolutely

Amazing!  Absolutely awesome!

I took it upon myself to post a rebuttle to those morons.  I encourage everyone else to do the same!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pfft. That's just micro

Pfft. That's just micro evolution.

And besides, even if it was true evolution (toad turning into a giraffe), God coulda done that anyway.

You Orientalist Darwinists just keep believing your fairly tale. Meanwhile, I'll keep getting the real facts from people like Dr. Scientist Kent Hovind.

Donno wats so hard to understand about 'God created the Heavens and the Earth' lol.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
WoW

Don't you guys understand? Bananas fit in the hand so God made people! Idiots!!! Laughing out loud

lol! I love that guy, makes me warm inside... realized that bananas also look like a penis and that means God made the penis fit perfectly into the hand and mouth, specifically of the woman, because her hands are smaller and more gentile.

JUST KIDDING!

Dude I had a fucking FIELD DAY at work with this one (I work at a vet and most of them are creationist), they told me I was either lieing or "God works in mysterious ways" (aka. "I don't get it, it was God)

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R. Brown wrote:

"I'll keep getting the real facts from people like Dr. Scientist Kent Hovind."

Uh...Kevin...

with regards to "Dr. Scientist Kent Hovind..."

..aren't you laying it on a little thick, here?

Not that he doesn't deserve it.

Conor

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great news!Think it will be

Great news!

Think it will be interesting to see if other evolving species will be discovered by them crafty ol' science people. I doubt this haplochromine type cichlid will be the only creature on earth we will ever find that is in the process of undergoing evolutionary change due to increased pollution and climate shift.

In my mind this further raises an intriguing scenario.

Won't it be almost ironic if many future discoveries of the very evolutionary processes that the far religious right love to claim can't possibly be, often end up being *caused* by the befoulment and climate shifts humans have in great part helped bring about... conditions the far religious right love to claim don't exist (there goes science again meddling in things they cannot possibly know) OR  exist, but only *their* god can affect  (there go people again thinking they could ever make substantial changes for the better or worse to the planet }

Hmmmm.