A question for Hindu visitors:

GermanMike
Blogger
GermanMike's picture
User is offlineOffline
A question for Hindu visitors:

What serious sins would one have to commit in his life to get reborn as a creationist?

-----------------------------------------------------

Who asks me inappropiate questions also has to live with the answers I may give.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Raping a cow?Maybe being bad

Raping a cow?

Maybe being bad as a worm? How a worm can be bad is kind of hard to figure though...

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Funny question GermanMike.

Funny question GermanMike, which I can't answer .... I have done some reading on Hindu, which is of the oldest "religions" of the world. The idea that most hindus are extra wacko is largely a propaganda of the "god of abe cults". There are crazies under all labels, and especially in places of poverty and lack of education.

Hinduism is much like native american indian "religions" of many gods, as an appreciation of nature, and "mother" earth. The cow is blessed because it sustains life by passively giving milk and cheese. The cow can be eaten in times of food shortage.  Idol worship can of course get worse than just silly, but general hinduism, as I understand it, is not as dangerous and wacko as the god of abe cults.

Buddhism is was a pantheistic progressive off shoot of hinduism. Many sects of more recent buddhism are considered atheistic, such as Zen buddhism. Cool Alan Watts is good atheist teacher mentor of eastern and all religions. I've found a lot more useable wisdom in the eastern religions and philosophies than in the god of abe dogmas.

In the east it's more about who's your "favorite", how to live most happy, "mentor", than arguing about some best way to worship some god(s) .....  

This award winning large site is pretty cool and educational ..... a bit from it,

"Understanding Hinduism"

http://www.hinduism.co.za/jesus.htm

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Idol

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Idol worship can of course get worse than just silly, but general hinduism, as I understand it, is not as dangerous and wacko as the god of abe cults.

Maybe not, but blind adherence to the caste system doesn't seem to do much for a society.

I have a friend whose Indian mom is way into Hinduism.  His mom offered a reknown guru a place to stay and teach in the community for a week or two.  The guy totally pissed my friend off while being a house guest.  So my friend started taking his sister out to Carl's Jr for burgers.  They'd bring them home and waive them in the guy's face.  It may not have been much, but I do love blasphemy!

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LOL wise mom anniet, blind

LOL wise mom anniet, as blind adherence to any dogmatic concept sucks. Wise hindus, Dumb hindus, etc etc is all I'm saying. To define a hundu etc etc is to define the human race. So yeah, fuck that stupid hindu non guru. And no to all myths of pre life and after life.

Me god, as you, as all, is thermodynamics. Go science. Imagine no religion.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
We have Hindu visitors?

We have Hindu visitors?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
GermanMike wrote:What

GermanMike wrote:

What serious sins would one have to commit in his life to get reborn as a creationist?

I'm not a Hindu Buddhist exactly but I am somewhat familiar with the doctrines and I took a religious test once which aligned my beliefs with Hindu faith so I'll answer this.

The purpose of incarnations that are "prior" to a Brahman consciousness is a kind of rounding off of individual experience. "Karmic sin" is often construed too narrowly or just simply erroneously equated to the western concepts of sin and punishment, but it's not those things. A possibly better analogue of the Hindu concept of Karma is "attention and discovery".  Because the ideal discovery and only 'truth" a Buddhist seeks is the Brahman consciousness, a life's attention focussed on anything else (~truth) is then Maya (illusion) and by extension then sinful/not divine. 

The basic philosophy is that what you attend you will discover in this life or the next. This runs parallel to other more western sayings such as "live by the sword, die by the sword" and etcetera. And so it would follow that to be directed towards an incarnation as a creationist in this life you would be spending a lot of time in your life focussed on the life of a creationist.

There are any number of scenarios for this sort of condition, being a radically anti-creationism activist in this life for example. In short Karma basically says that you look (in a kind of 'third eye' way) in the direction you're going.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah Roisin, none I

Yeah Roisin, none I remember, and where are them claiming to be buddhists. Maybe buddhists just call themselve atheists here? I think RRS should advertise as google directed ads, on the buddhist sites, as they are an interesting variety.

Calling India, hello world, but I can't hear you. Go go world communication .... We are ONE earth, one race !

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always quite liked

I've always quite liked Hinduism. I can't imagine Hindus flying planes into buildings or blowing themselves up in the face of Christian Imperialism. Of course the 70s and 80s were turbulent times in India what with Mrs Gandhi's tyrany, and there were Hindu terrorist organisations. I'm not that well read on Hinduism, but it does seem to be mostly peaceful with an emphasis on philosophical freedom. The caste system is horrible and in many cases brutal, but that seems to be more socio-economic than religious. Of course the belief system is bull like all religions, but it doesn't lend itself quite so easily to fundamentalism.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an atheist "Hindu"

Folks I'm a beef eating atheist who fantasizes about fucking the Goddess Lakshmi. I was borne into a Hindu family but none of us really took it seriously. Yeah, we infrequently celebrated Diwali but you know, nowadays this event for the most part is a bollywood fest for guys to drool over these gorgeous busty babes:

Katrina Kaif 20523

Priyanka Chopra picture

I would also remind my colleagues of the prominence of atheism in Hinduism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism

Most Hindus are secular much akin to "secular Jews" and really don't take scripture seriously (at least the folks I know). Unlike Muslims, Hindu Indians and Buddhist Japanese easily adapt and integrate into western society and yes, a lot of them are atheist.

Now for a brief moment l ask your permission to suspend all rational thought and pretend that we do reincarnate. I hope to come back as a penis forever sliding between a massive set of tits in a constant state of orgasmic bliss.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Ahhhh, I'm having a Zenful

Ahhhh, I'm having a Zenful experience.

Caring Eloise sends good karma .... hey, and thanks E for mentioning "timeless model(s)"

The Timeless Universe -   by A. C. Sturt

http://www.churingapublishing.com/timeless_4.htm

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
GermanMike wrote:What

GermanMike wrote:

Being from Germany. 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:Folks I'm a

ragdish wrote:

Folks I'm a beef eating atheist who fantasizes about fucking the Goddess Lakshmi. I was borne into a Hindu family but none of us really took it seriously. Yeah, we infrequently celebrated Diwali but you know, nowadays this event for the most part is a bollywood fest for guys to drool over these gorgeous busty babes:

Katrina Kaif 20523

Priyanka Chopra picture

I would also remind my colleagues of the prominence of atheism in Hinduism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism

Most Hindus are secular much akin to "secular Jews" and really don't take scripture seriously (at least the folks I know). Unlike Muslims, Hindu Indians and Buddhist Japanese easily adapt and integrate into western society and yes, a lot of them are atheist.

Now for a brief moment l ask your permission to suspend all rational thought and pretend that we do reincarnate. I hope to come back as a penis forever sliding between a massive set of tits in a constant state of orgasmic bliss.

I really wanna go to India while I'm still young. a) I love curries, b) I'm fascinated by the country and c) I have a thing for Indian women.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
UhhhhELLO.  Yup, She is

UhhhhELLO.

Yup, She is HinduHOT times three !!!  Wow

heheh

Thanks for the treat, Ragdish!

nom,nom,nom,nom...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Buddhism is was a pantheistic progressive off shoot of hinduism.

arjuna, i have to disagree with you on this one.  i don't know at what point buddhism could be called pantheistic (tibetan, perhaps?) but, judging from the earliest writings of the pali canon, i don't think the buddha was a pantheist.  i don't think he was a theist at all.  i suppose he could be called an atheist in that, when asked about spiritual matters, he basically said, "don't waste my time and yours with that bullshit."

perhaps if you clarify a bit i'll see where you're coming from.  perhaps if you don't i'll still wish you i-speed for where you're going to.  tat tvam asi.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:I'm not a Hindu

Eloise wrote:

I'm not a Hindu Buddhist exactly but I am somewhat familiar with the doctrines and I took a religious test once which aligned my beliefs with Hindu faith so I'll answer this.

The purpose of incarnations that are "prior" to a Brahman consciousness is a kind of rounding off of individual experience. "Karmic sin" is often construed too narrowly or just simply erroneously equated to the western concepts of sin and punishment, but it's not those things. A possibly better analogue of the Hindu concept of Karma is "attention and discovery".  Because the ideal discovery and only 'truth" a Buddhist seeks is the Brahman consciousness, a life's attention focussed on anything else (~truth) is then Maya (illusion) and by extension then sinful/not divine. 

The basic philosophy is that what you attend you will discover in this life or the next. This runs parallel to other more western sayings such as "live by the sword, die by the sword" and etcetera. And so it would follow that to be directed towards an incarnation as a creationist in this life you would be spending a lot of time in your life focussed on the life of a creationist.

There are any number of scenarios for this sort of condition, being a radically anti-creationism activist in this life for example. In short Karma basically says that you look (in a kind of 'third eye' way) in the direction you're going.

the lady's casual erudition astounds me, as always.

i believe huston smith put it this way, to paraphrase: hinduism basically teaches that you'll get what you really want.  that's why most english translations of hindu texts talk about "working out" one's karma, rather than the abrahamic notion of "paying for" one's sins.  a person has to laboriously free himself from the ties that bind him to maya to achieve moksha ("liberation," for those who don't know).

i'm not into the metaphysical aspect of it, but in it's own way it's very good advice for a revolutionary. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek, I usually just say

iwbiek,

I usually just say atheistic, but buddhism as a whole has a lot of mysticism, and so I think pantheism works, as god means all nature, of no deity. Heck, all these labels are broad in there definitions. Richard Dawkins says pantheism is "sexed up atheism", and basically the same as atheism. Seems about right, if you eliminate the radical new agers using this P label. Babel babel, darn words and religions    .....  

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

iwbiek,

I usually just say atheistic, but buddhism as a whole has a lot of mysticism, and so I think pantheism works, as god means all nature, of no deity. Heck, all these labels are broad in there definitions. Richard Dawkins says pantheism is "sexed up atheism", and basically the same as atheism. Seems about right, if you eliminate the radical new agers using this P label. Babel babel, darn words and religions    .....  

well, because buddhism defines ultimate reality as void, essentially negative, i join my voice with dr. suzuki's in saying it's not mysticism.  maybe the photographic negative of mysticism.  but perhaps i'm projecting onto the pali canon.  i'll always be a rinzai man at heart. 

but yes, these are just semantics ultimately, and sakyamuni would laugh at both of us for having this discussion, and rightly so.  still, a highly recommended read is mystcism: christian and buddhist, essentially a discussion between d.t. suzuki and thomas merton.

as for pantheism proper, give me mr. spinoza!  a bodhisattva if there ever was one, and fuck the dalai lama!  the only other bodhisattva i know of is mr. warren zevon, rest in peace.  let me close with a few lines of his:

you can screw everybody i've ever known

but i still won't talk to you on the phone

it's a hopeless cause, there's no use cryin'

and i could die, you could die, we could die tryin'

thanks anyway, no use hangin' around

are those buddha words, or are they not buddha words? 

--Hunter S. Thompson

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek, cool babel man! You

iwbiek, cool babel man! You are surly more read on this than I am. Thanks for your suggestion, and that's an interesting word,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva

Thanks

Nice river, but Rinza who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rin%C5%BEa

Opps, I found it,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rinzai&btnG=Google+Search

Yes to ZEN, as Alan Watts explained it anyhow !!!