Christian rock music

FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
Christian rock music

As an ex-Christian, I know this sounds a little strange (forgive me: I'm under the influence right now), but I still can't (or won't) pitch my Petra, DeGarmo & Key, Mortification, Michael W. Smith, some of the old hymns, etc.  I know it's an appeal to emotion, but it still holds sentimental value to me.  The "devil" still has the best music imo, but there are some good hymns that are sweet (even still). 

My advice to ex-Christians:  don't sell/pitch your old Christian tunes; just keep 'em & keep in mind that we all CAN fantasize about things (doesn't mean our fantasies can be a reality), but still...  I'm just tryin' to reminisce. 

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
haha.Never attempt to make

haha.

Never attempt to make atheism into a question of taste. It is not an ideology. It is a lack of an ideology.

My favorite contemporary artist is Prince, and my favorite historical artist is Bach. Now, what would I do with this if I was supposed to stay "true" to my atheism?

Don't even think twice about this. It is like christians saying: "I know that sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll are all great, but unfortunately the devil made those things, so I can't do it. Even though it makes me happy, and doesn't hurt anyone. It will hurt me in the afterlife"

I mean, what about Sci-Fi and Fantasy? Those things aren't real you know, so you shouldn't enjoy them. Indeed, any fiction, be it movies or books is made-up stories, even if they contain no super-natural elements or Sci-fi speculations, so you should never enjoy anything that is not a biography, a history book, or a science book.

If you do, then you'll burn in illogic-hell for all eternity, or at least until you realize that a true atheist never enjoys anything ever.

 

Guilt-tripping is for Theists. Enjoy whatever you want friend, and never be ashamed of yourself. That's just vaste of life, and you only get the one, so make it a good one.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


Conor Wilson
Posts: 451
Joined: 2008-01-07
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I'll second both...

...the continued possession of Christian music, and the "Guilt-tripping is for Theists." comment by Nikolaj.

 

I've got the St. Louis Jesuits, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Jeremy Camp, and numerous others.

 

Conor


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Definitely

Recently, I've developed a taste for contemporary Christian music. Mercyme is amazing. Of course, I disagree with a lot of the lyrics, but good music is still good music, regardless of the political, social, religious, etc. beliefs of the people that composed/performed them.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Even when I believed I

Even when I believed I thought Christian music sucked. I like punk, metal, classic rock and some rap. Hate pop music.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Even when

MattShizzle wrote:

Even when I believed I thought Christian music sucked. I like punk, metal, classic rock and some rap. Hate pop music.

Was that because of the music or the lyrics? I've never been one to blame the notes for what the song says.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Both, really.

Both, really.


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:MattShizzle

jcgadfly wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Even when I believed I thought Christian music sucked. I like punk, metal, classic rock and some rap. Hate pop music.

Was that because of the music or the lyrics? I've never been one to blame the notes for what the song says.

Just to clarify my position, I'm not actually advocating ignoring the lyrics, so that you can stomach the melodies better.

I am a singer so I concern myself with lyrics alot. I also like to write, both poetry (well song-lyrics without a melody yet) and short-stories and stuff, so I like the lyrics too.

Sometimes they are silly or inane, but still have a good flow, and sometimes they are still emotionally profound, even if they have religious or transcendental overtones.

On one of Prince's newer albums, The Rainbow Children, he's really started to take his religious missionary work seriously, and alot of his lyrics are very religious indeed.

Take this bit for example:

"Don't let nobody

bring you down

after acknowledging Christ and the Father it'll bring the everlasting now

join the party

make a sound

share the truth, preach the good news

don't let anybody bring you down

the everlasting now"

That, for example, is rather inane to me, but it has a good flow, and this song really get's you out of your chair, boy does it ever!

Also, I like "the everlasting now" since I'm a person that lives very much from moment to moment, not worrying incesently about the past or future (more vaste of life, if you ask me), so even admidst all that overt religious preaching, I still take a little something away from it: Enjoy the moment (and rock to this rockin' song!) and don't let nobody bring you down.

Then there's this bit, from the song "Papa", one of my all time favorite Prince quotes. A slow bluesy kinda thing in which he sings about a little boy who gets beat up by his dad, very intense, and very personal, and then at the end, a sudden break, and Prince says in a calm voice:

"Don't abuse children, or else they turn out like me..."

And then a the drums bang in an upbeat rocking outro all of a sudden and he sings (this is the bit):

"Fair to partly crazy, deep down where all the same

Every single one of us knows some kinda pain

But In the middle of all the crazyness

One thing still remains

If you love somebody your life won't be in vain

And there's always a rainbow

At the end of every rain"

Now, I love this part, not just for the really great music, but also for the lyrics, and this bit I can take in fully, because where's the religion in that?

I mean, I know Prince is religious, and thinks in terms of religion alot, maybe even when writing this, but it still applies to me.

In the end, both he and I are human beings, and indeed, this kinda thing only strengthens my belief that there is no God.

Because even a strongly religious person like Prince, will, in the end, still think like this, just like I do. That to me is just further proof that we are all deep down concerned with this life, and with real things like love and pain and crazyness and hope, even those that kid themselves that they are not concerned with this life, but with their eternal soul.

Actually, I'm almost going off topic, but that's always been the main reason why I have never taken religion seriously as a possible reality.

Because human beings do human things and have human emotions. Even when they will kid themselves that they are touched by the divine, they will still just worry about avoiding pain and feeling pleasure, feeling security, loving their children, having sex, laughing, eating, sleeping and all that other stuff, that all other animals on this planet does as well.

Just think of abstinence only... It's not like the teens are fucking any less than other teens, because they are religous. They just feel ashamed when they do it (and get pregnant, and get STD's). Which goes to show that religious people are just atheists in denial.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:jcgadfly

Nikolaj wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Even when I believed I thought Christian music sucked. I like punk, metal, classic rock and some rap. Hate pop music.

Was that because of the music or the lyrics? I've never been one to blame the notes for what the song says.

Just to clarify my position, I'm not actually advocating ignoring the lyrics, so that you can stomach the melodies better.

I am a singer so I concern myself with lyrics alot. I also like to write, both poetry (well song-lyrics without a melody yet) and short-stories and stuff, so I like the lyrics too.

Sometimes they are silly or inane, but still have a good flow, and sometimes they are still emotionally profound, even if they have religious or transcendental overtones.

On one of Prince's newer albums, The Rainbow Children, he's really started to take his religious missionary work seriously, and alot of his lyrics are very religious indeed.

Take this bit for example:

"Don't let nobody

bring you down

after acknowledging Christ and the Father it'll bring the everlasting now

join the party

make a sound

share the truth, preach the good news

don't let anybody bring you down

the everlasting now"

That, for example, is rather inane to me, but it has a good flow, and this song really get's you out of your chair, boy does it ever!

Also, I like "the everlasting now" since I'm a person that lives very much from moment to moment, not worrying incesently about the past or future (more vaste of life, if you ask me), so even admidst all that overt religious preaching, I still take a little something away from it: Enjoy the moment (and rock to this rockin' song!) and don't let nobody bring you down.

Then there's this bit, from the song "Pappa", one of my all time favorite Prince quotes. A slow bluesy kinda thing in which he sings about a little boy who gets beat up by his dad, very intense, and very personal, and then at the end, a sudden break, and Prince says in a calm voice:

"Don't abuse children, or else they turn out like me..."

And then a the drums bang in an upbeat rocking outro all of a sudden and he sings (this is the bit):

"Everybody's crazy, but deep down where all the same

Every single one of us knows some kinda pain

But in the middle of all the crazyness

One thing still remains

If you love somebody your life won't be in vain

And there's always a rainbow

At the end of every rain"

Now, I love this part, not just for the really great music, but also for the lyrics, and this bit I can take in fully, because where's the religion in that?

I mean, I know Prince is religious, and thinks in terms of religion alot, maybe even when writing this, but it still applies to me.

In the end, both he and I are human beings, and indeed, this kinda thing only strengthens my belief that there is no God.

Because even a strongly religious person like Prince, will, in the end, still think like this, just like I do. That to me is just further proof that we are all deep down concerned with this life, and with real things like love and pain and crazyness and hope, even those that kid themselves that they are not concerned with this life, but with their eternal soul.

Actually, I'm almost going off topic, but that's always been the main reason why I have never taken religion seriously as a possible reality.

Because human beings do human things and have human emotions. Even when they will kid themselves that they are touched by the divine, they will still just worry about avoiding pain and feeling pleasure, feeling security, loving their children, having sex, laughing, eating, sleeping and all that other stuff, that all other animals on this planet does as well.

Just think of abstinence only... It's not like the teens are fucking any less than other teens, because they are religous. They just feel ashamed when they do it (and get pregnant, and get STD's). Which goes to show that religious people are just atheists in denial.

The reason I hold my position is the attacks I've had to put up with on that "evil 2-4 rhythm" (Ever tried to clap on 1 and 3? That's evil) and the biases against the instruments that are used.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I never liked Priss, either.

I never liked Priss, either.


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: The reason I

jcgadfly wrote:
The reason I hold my position is the attacks I've had to put up with on that "evil 2-4 rhythm" (Ever tried to clap on 1 and 3? That's evil) and the biases against the instruments that are used.
HAHAHA

I don't believe in the Devil, but I think he existed just for a moment, to create the evil 1-3 clap!

Everybody who dabbles in music knows the scourge that is the 1-3 clap.

Have you ever performed in front of a clueless audience with no sense of rhythm that get's momentarily swept up in the music and try to clap along, only to...

Uurrghh... I can't even say it...

only to start clapping on 1 and 3?

That's the worst.

 

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:jcgadfly

Nikolaj wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
The reason I hold my position is the attacks I've had to put up with on that "evil 2-4 rhythm" (Ever tried to clap on 1 and 3? That's evil) and the biases against the instruments that are used.
HAHAHA

I don't believe in the Devil, but I think he existed just for a moment, to create the evil 1-3 clap!

Everybody who dabbles in music knows the scourge that is the 1-3 clap.

Have you ever performed in front of a clueless audience with no sense of rhythm that get's momentarily swept up in the music and try to clap along, only to...

Uurrghh... I can't even say it...

only to start clapping on 1 and 3?

That's the worst.

 

I have for a fact. I've also worked in front of people where half the crowd is on 1-3 and the other half is normal. Kinda like an eighth note click track.

The fun of being a jobbing drummer...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Hate pop

MattShizzle wrote:

 Hate pop music.

Me too (for the most part).


FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The reason I

jcgadfly wrote:

The reason I hold my position is the attacks I've had to put up with on that "evil 2-4 rhythm" (Ever tried to clap on 1 and 3? That's evil) and the biases against the instruments that are used.

2/4 rhythm (as in "1&2&"... -repeat)?  Beats 1 & 3 (down-beats)?

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
FreeThinker2012

FreeThinker2012 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

The reason I hold my position is the attacks I've had to put up with on that "evil 2-4 rhythm" (Ever tried to clap on 1 and 3? That's evil) and the biases against the instruments that are used.

2/4 rhythm (as in "1&2&"... -repeat)?  Beats 1 & 3 (down-beats)?

Not 2/4.

4/4 time accents on 2 and 4

I've taken a lot of crap because that rhythm (because it is natural) is considered sensual and thus evil by some fundy idiots.

 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
I never was much into the

I never was much into the cheesy stuff even at my most devout.  I did listen to some bands 10 years ago that I would never listen to now, though.  That said, I still listen to a very small amount of Christian music, and I break these bands up into 2 categories:  "nostalgia" and "they still genuinely kick ass". 

Nostalgia:

Michael W. Smith.  Never was into him as a teen/young adult, but my parents listened to him when I was a kid, and I've just recently rediscovered him.  So many profoundly happy memories are tied particularly to his "i (2) Eye" album for me. 

Keith Green.  He was hit and miss, but when he was on his game, he was incredible.  Such a gift for melody.

Amy Grant.  File under the same category as Smith.  Her first Christmas album still makes me pine for simpler days.

They still genuinely kick ass:

Zao.  Absolutely seminal metalcore.  They completely repaved the underground metal landscape (Christian or otherwise) in the late 90s.  Still truckin' to this day as far as I know. 

Embodyment.  Same situation as Zao, but to a much lesser extent.  Their first full length was mindblowing for its time (1998), and it still holds up well.  By the early '00s they were an emo band, though. 

Starflyer 59.  Beautiful shoegaze/alternative rock from the early-mid 90s. 

The Appleseed Cast.  Brilliant indie rock band that's still around today.

Brandtson.  Indie rock/screamo.  They've changed their lineup/sound quite a bit over the years, but their early stuff is indespensible. 

Ninety Pound Wuss.  Abrasive, dark, high-speed punk rock from the mid-late 90s. 

Stavesacre.  Really emotional rock/post-hardcore from one of the progenitors of Christian metal (Mark Salomon). 

The Blamed.  One of those bands that changed their sound from record to record, but did so brilliantly and seamlessly.  They were originally straight-ahead punk, but later developed a post-punk sound. 

Ballydowse.  Socially-conscious celtic punk.  They wrote some of the greatest songs of the 90s in my opinion. 

Poor Old Lu.  Seminal alternative/indie rock from Seattle. 

So on, so forth, etc. 

 


Jello
Posts: 223
Joined: 2007-06-19
User is offlineOffline
A good example of kickass

A good example of kickass christian music is the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack, and Jesus Is My Friend by Sonseed.

 

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.


psychogoth
psychogoth's picture
Posts: 4
Joined: 2008-08-14
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:haha.Never

Nikolaj wrote:

haha.

Never attempt to make atheism into a question of taste. It is not an ideology. It is a lack of an ideology.

My favorite contemporary artist is Prince, and my favorite historical artist is Bach. Now, what would I do with this if I was supposed to stay "true" to my atheism?

Don't even think twice about this. It is like christians saying: "I know that sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll are all great, but unfortunately the devil made those things, so I can't do it. Even though it makes me happy, and doesn't hurt anyone. It will hurt me in the afterlife"

I mean, what about Sci-Fi and Fantasy? Those things aren't real you know, so you shouldn't enjoy them. Indeed, any fiction, be it movies or books is made-up stories, even if they contain no super-natural elements or Sci-fi speculations, so you should never enjoy anything that is not a biography, a history book, or a science book.

If you do, then you'll burn in illogic-hell for all eternity, or at least until you realize that a true atheist never enjoys anything ever.

 

Guilt-tripping is for Theists. Enjoy whatever you want friend, and never be ashamed of yourself. That's just vaste of life, and you only get the one, so make it a good one.

i agree with this. just because you have a different taste in religon dosen't mean that you have to abandon everything you once loved. that includes music movies and everything else! you can't abandon the things that define you as a person.

civilize those you can and fuck the rest. the world is to big to be constantly clleaning uo a fter the weak minded.


FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

FreeThinker2012 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

The reason I hold my position is the attacks I've had to put up with on that "evil 2-4 rhythm" (Ever tried to clap on 1 and 3? That's evil) and the biases against the instruments that are used.

2/4 rhythm (as in "1&2&"... -repeat)?  Beats 1 & 3 (down-beats)?

Not 2/4.

4/4 time accents on 2 and 4

I've taken a lot of crap because that rhythm (because it is natural) is considered sensual and thus evil by some fundy idiots.

 

Oh, okay.  Who knows how they justify that type of bs?!!

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/


FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:I never was much

jmm wrote:

I never was much into the cheesy stuff even at my most devout.  I did listen to some bands 10 years ago that I would never listen to now, though.  That said, I still listen to a very small amount of Christian music, and I break these bands up into 2 categories:  "nostalgia" and "they still genuinely kick ass". 

Nostalgia:

Michael W. Smith.  Never was into him as a teen/young adult, but my parents listened to him when I was a kid, and I've just recently rediscovered him.  So many profoundly happy memories are tied particularly to his "i (2) Eye" album for me. 

Keith Green.  He was hit and miss, but when he was on his game, he was incredible.  Such a gift for melody.

Amy Grant.  File under the same category as Smith.  Her first Christmas album still makes me pine for simpler days.

They still genuinely kick ass:

Zao.  Absolutely seminal metalcore.  They completely repaved the underground metal landscape (Christian or otherwise) in the late 90s.  Still truckin' to this day as far as I know. 

Embodyment.  Same situation as Zao, but to a much lesser extent.  Their first full length was mindblowing for its time (1998), and it still holds up well.  By the early '00s they were an emo band, though. 

Starflyer 59.  Beautiful shoegaze/alternative rock from the early-mid 90s. 

The Appleseed Cast.  Brilliant indie rock band that's still around today.

Brandtson.  Indie rock/screamo.  They've changed their lineup/sound quite a bit over the years, but their early stuff is indespensible. 

Ninety Pound Wuss.  Abrasive, dark, high-speed punk rock from the mid-late 90s. 

Stavesacre.  Really emotional rock/post-hardcore from one of the progenitors of Christian metal (Mark Salomon). 

The Blamed.  One of those bands that changed their sound from record to record, but did so brilliantly and seamlessly.  They were originally straight-ahead punk, but later developed a post-punk sound. 

Ballydowse.  Socially-conscious celtic punk.  They wrote some of the greatest songs of the 90s in my opinion. 

Poor Old Lu.  Seminal alternative/indie rock from Seattle. 

So on, so forth, etc. 

 

Thanks for sharing that.  That's quite a list.  I enjoy(ed) (past tense & present tense) Amy Grant as well, especially her "Age to Age" album.  I haven't heard too much of Steve Green.  I've never even heard of the rest of the bands/artists.   

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/


FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:A good example

Jello wrote:

A good example of kickass christian music is the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack, and Jesus Is My Friend by Sonseed.

 

Yeah, I really like that soundtrack as well.

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
FreeThinker2012

FreeThinker2012 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FreeThinker2012 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

The reason I hold my position is the attacks I've had to put up with on that "evil 2-4 rhythm" (Ever tried to clap on 1 and 3? That's evil) and the biases against the instruments that are used.

2/4 rhythm (as in "1&2&"... -repeat)?  Beats 1 & 3 (down-beats)?

Not 2/4.

4/4 time accents on 2 and 4

I've taken a lot of crap because that rhythm (because it is natural) is considered sensual and thus evil by some fundy idiots.

 

Oh, okay.  Who knows how they justify that type of bs?!!

They believe that the natural movements of the body might lead to (gasp!) sex and that's sinful.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10138
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
As crazy as religious people

As crazy as religious people can be, they can tell a good story just like anyone else. Them being religious doesn't make the story bad. Or the music suck. Etc.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Never believed, but liked some music

 I've never believed in God, but I was married to a fundie. Of the stuff she listened to, I liked Russ Taff somewhat, Leslie Phillips quite a lot (she went on to marry T. Bone  Burnett, the mastermind behind the O Brother soundtrack, as well as some of the most interesting y'allternative stuff today; she's skipped the Christian scene and now records secular music under the name "Sam Phillips" ), and.... well, that's about it. I discovered "The Call" on my own, the only full-on Christian group I still listen to sometimes.

My daughter is mad about Switchfoot, and they're pretty decent. I do mean "mad," too. She's completely obsessed.

I fuckin' hated M. W. Smith. He's a whiney little bitch. His voice is like Lee's Press-On fingernails against a chalkboard.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


AmericanIdle
Posts: 414
Joined: 2007-03-16
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote: I

nigelTheBold wrote:

 I fuckin' hated M. W. Smith. He's a whiney little bitch. His voice is like Lee's Press-On fingernails against a chalkboard.

Yay !  I'm not the only one.  He's like a much less gifted Richard Marx but without the vocal range or relevance....* rimshot *  

I would propose "My place in this world" as a form of terrorist interrogation technique but waterboarding sounds far more humane.

I listened to a great deal of christian music before my own  "enlightenment" but could never really stomach any after it.  I guess it all became completely fake or plastic for me and I couldn't relate to any of it anymore.

 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Music

Quote:

I've never been one to blame the notes for what the song says.

I think you are absolutely correct and I disagree completely! Smiling

A great deal of my musical experience is in the emotion of the thing. I don't believe there is any music (with lyrics) that is good enough on its own merit to completely override the meaning of the songs.

For me, songs about worship are songs about worship. They cannot be anything else. If the music happens to be catchy that's nifty. I will then say "great music, too bad it's about turning over your life to imaginary sky pixies". There is lots of music that could be taken one way or another. That music, to me, stands on its own merit. For the music that has a point or takes a stand, where this "stand" is becomes very important.


DudefromNorway
DudefromNorway's picture
Posts: 21
Joined: 2008-08-24
User is offlineOffline
Agreed

 I guess my biggest protest against alot of contemporary christian music is that it´s just poorly made. Especially the hardcore/emo stuff is too much of a cliche, and the use of grandiose cliche over-the-top orchestration and cheap synths on most christian productions is just too fucking much for my taste.

 There is a lot contemporary music has to thank the musical environments created in the church for. Just a couple of interesting facts:

1) Minor and major keys were forbidden in sacral music right up to the reformation. The reason was that Aristotle labled the two keys masculine and feminine. As the church has even more of sado-masochistic relationship to their genitals than they have no the use of major and minor was forbidden.

2) Scott Stapp of Creed was kicked out because of excessive drugs and alcohol abuse. A hard blow to its millions of young christian fans.

3) All icebears are left-handed.

 

Very random post, but I do agree that there is no reason to toss away your christian music. If you like it, then go for it (even though I personally find that most of it is crappy caricatures of modern music, with an almost ridiculous resemblance...just don´t understand why a bunch of 50 year old producers want to be "cool" (except to sell a shitload of records).

 

 

ake the life-lie away from the average man and straight away you take away his happiness.

- Henrik Ibsen


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
I can often take what xians

I can often take what xians call their songs, and hear them as atheistic, as I've also come to see an atheistic story jesus buddha interpretation version from the contradictory bible of babel. I try to avoid impulsive 'black and white' thinking. 

"What if god was one Us", is a song example.

Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Dylan, Hendrix etc etc  have many anti Pauline anti catholic, religious related songs.

"Shout at the Devil" .... yeah, go buddha jesus, fuck the church of blind dogmatic separatist idol worshiping hypocrites.    


DudefromNorway
DudefromNorway's picture
Posts: 21
Joined: 2008-08-24
User is offlineOffline
What was that?

 Wow..that was interesting rambling. Makes my post look like it has some substance hehe.

 

Are you stoned?

ake the life-lie away from the average man and straight away you take away his happiness.

- Henrik Ibsen


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Me is high on awe 24/7. Then

Me is high on awe 24/7. Then add beer, rum, pot .... for added evening fun.


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
DudefromNorway

DudefromNorway wrote:

 Wow..that was interesting rambling. Makes my post look like it has some substance hehe.

 

Are you stoned?

Hahaha

Norway Dude, meet IAGAY.

You'll get used to him, we all have. His a great guy. I'll vouch for him.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
LOL RRS .... I am first a

LOL RRS .... I am first a rock fan guitar player, BUT,

"What the world needs now"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfOcqlFkQvw

Andy Williams - Born Free      
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZHaQ3C3xQo

   ETC ....

Rock Out (Godly Loud, funny) Tenacious D: Master Exploder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEHU7Nv_alE

From the the movie, Tenacious D, The Pick of Destiny Ending

 


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
Meanwhile, here's a fucking

Meanwhile, here's a fucking GREAT song, which, interestingly, could be interpreted to actually fit this very topic.

Matthew (Bellamy, the leadsinger/guitarist/pianost in MUSE, and the writer of all their songs) is an atheist, but he adresses religion alot in his songs, and not just to point out how stupid it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVcn1iYPDU

Now, here's the lyrics, for you to follow, while you listen:

Rose-tinted view
And satellites that compromise the truth
But I wanted more
With the cuts and the bruises
Touch my face
A hopeless embrace

Faith, it drives me away
But it turns me on
Like a stranger's love
It rockets through the universe
It fuels the lies, it feeds the curse
We too could be
Glorious

I need to believe
But I still want more
With the cuts and the bruises
Don't close the door
On what you adore

Faith, it drives me away...

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


DudefromNorway
DudefromNorway's picture
Posts: 21
Joined: 2008-08-24
User is offlineOffline
Talking about music

Isn´t it interesting that rock´n roll is actually a slang word for "rocking and rolling" which basically means to hit the hay, and that christians now adopt it as christian rock...

 Its like saying ´this is music intended to make you wanna hump like monkeys - jesus style´. What is this Christian ´position´. I guess that´s my biggest problem with Christian rock and modern music. Its a symbol for a "if you can´t fight´em, join´em" mentality. Listening to Christian rock music (or R´nB for that matter) is a lot like having my dad at a party...As cool as he wants to be, its still WRONG WRONG WRONG....

 Which reminds me of this gem, to show you what keeping it real is NOT about

http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/33704/a_mccain_rap_mccain_is_ok.html

 

 Everyone hates an imposter, and to be honest Christian rock is just that...It contains the same chords, the same instruments, the same chords and to an extent the same lyrics, but the ATTITUDE and the SOUL is lacking, which is the main criticism from most acknowledged music critics, and a main reason why christian rock has never made it big outside of religious spheres (whereas Rythm & blues, gospel and other forms of "honest" worship songs have made it big even outside just because of their authenticity).

 

 

 

ake the life-lie away from the average man and straight away you take away his happiness.

- Henrik Ibsen


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Cool one ... geezz , so many

Cool one Nik ... geezz , so many songs about religion and often misinterpreted .... go Slayer, Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, King Crimson etc. RRS wild Matt posted this beater,

Ministry- Jesus built my Hotrod - The xian jesus IS the devil !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBKTo5K14M

Thanks to all the players .... "Archangels" !

Prophet, Bob Dylan - Masters of War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWkWSLEW-Ds

 Let the Bodies Hit the Floor -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI

GET PISSED ! Saxon - "Let Me Feel Your Power" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJz7xajz-qM
Don't hurt anyone people, "love the enemy", understand them .....

"I have not come to bring peace but a sword" ....
The good fight isn't over. Sharpen thy swords.
We are atheist warriors for TRUTH ! ; and god is on OUR side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/But_to_bring_a_sword

Saxon - Power and The Glory (live at wacken)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0890PLuMMk

 

 

 


DudefromNorway
DudefromNorway's picture
Posts: 21
Joined: 2008-08-24
User is offlineOffline
 Again: Substantiated by

 Again: Substantiated by substances Laughing out loud

 I agree Nikolaj - This guy does have something Dali´ish over him

 

ake the life-lie away from the average man and straight away you take away his happiness.

- Henrik Ibsen


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Touched by Zen angels ....

Touched by Zen angels .... wild Alan Watts sent them my way !

Carl Sagan - "Pale Blue Dot" , 3 min   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M


"Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

And that buddha, wise Pat Condell     

 

 

 


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3501
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I used to listen to

Yeah, I used to listen to Larry Norman, Phil Keagy, Daniel Amos, Keith Green, Petra, Stryper, etc, but once I broke with religion I just couldn't stand to listen to it anymore. It reminded me what a fool I was for ever falling into the Jesus trap.  All those albums were junked.....

 

  ( now I listen to the "devil's" music    lol )


FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
DudefromNorway

DudefromNorway wrote:

 

 

... I personally find that most of it is crappy caricatures of modern music, with an almost ridiculous resemblance...just don´t understand why a bunch of 50 year old producers want to be "cool" (except to sell a shitload of records).

 

 

I do agree that a lot of the Christian-based music is very much indeed almost "NON-authentic" in a sense, i.e. it gets its ideas (the chord progressions/melodies) from the secular arena.  Most of it is more 'predictable' than secular music. 

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/


DudefromNorway
DudefromNorway's picture
Posts: 21
Joined: 2008-08-24
User is offlineOffline
Agreed, but

 Seriously: Most of it is more predictable than gravity itself..

 

 And what the fuck is this?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ee-_Juphs

ake the life-lie away from the average man and straight away you take away his happiness.

- Henrik Ibsen


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
It's embarrassing shit of

It's embarrassing shit of what we mostly are on planet OUCH .... GO SCIENCE, the only study of reality.

Guitar is GOD ! 

Metallica - Master Of Puppets With lyrics ... obey your master ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-hEyVQDRA

LIVE ---  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sXk5tHbqA

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality - Into The Void

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6PCYSNk9CQ

     

 

 


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Rock Out (Godly Loud,

Quote:

Rock Out (Godly Loud, funny) Tenacious D: Master Exploder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEHU7Nv_alE

As They have been mentioned, it's my duty to ensure that the following is understood:

If you don't like Tenacious D, you're a traitor. But not just to your country; in fact, not even just to your continent. 'Oh, well, just to the planet, then, maybe?' Pfft. Get fucked.

You're a traitor to the entire fucking universe. The whole thing. And then, if we ever discover anything beyond the universe? Yeah. You're that thing's traitor too.

 

'Oh, well, I just don't think they're very good...' ? Get different, you motherfucker. I'd tell you to get out, but guess what - you fuckin' can't, can you, unless you win a nobel prize for figuring-out where you could get out to that isn't within our universe or anywhere outside it. Do you have that nobel prize? Yeah, didn't think so.

So you'd better just fucking get different, asshole.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Jello
Posts: 223
Joined: 2007-06-19
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Rock Out (Godly Loud, funny) Tenacious D: Master Exploder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEHU7Nv_alE

As They have been mentioned, it's my duty to ensure that the following is understood:

If you don't like Tenacious D, you're a traitor. But not just to your country; in fact, not even just to your continent. 'Oh, well, just to the planet, then, maybe?' Pfft. Get fucked.

You're a traitor to the entire fucking universe. The whole thing. And then, if we ever discover anything beyond the universe? Yeah. You're that thing's traitor too.

 

'Oh, well, I just don't think they're very good...' ? Get different, you motherfucker. I'd tell you to get out, but guess what - you fuckin' can't, can you, unless you win a nobel prize for figuring-out where you could get out to that isn't within our universe or anywhere outside it. Do you have that nobel prize? Yeah, didn't think so.

So you'd better just fucking get different, asshole.

 

That sort of rant would be appropriate for bands like Led Zeppelin, or Nirvana, or the beatles, but Tenacious D? You're being ironic, aren't you? You're taking the piss.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm actually just a

Well, I'm actually just a fan of Them, and so figured I'd attempt to emulate their style whilst declaring it. Eye-wink

 

...'Nirvana' I also just never have considered to have been an actual, definable band, just as a side note. It's shuffled it's membership way too many times.

The Kurt Cobain years were golden, though, no question there.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


daedalus
daedalus's picture
Posts: 260
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
DudefromNorway wrote:Isn´t

DudefromNorway wrote:

Isn´t it interesting that rock´n roll is actually a slang word for "rocking and rolling" which basically means to hit the hay, and that christians now adopt it as christian rock...

 Its like saying ´this is music intended to make you wanna hump like monkeys - jesus style´. What is this Christian ´position´. I guess that´s my biggest problem with Christian rock and modern music. Its a symbol for a "if you can´t fight´em, join´em" mentality. Listening to Christian rock music (or R´nB for that matter) is a lot like having my dad at a party...As cool as he wants to be, its still WRONG WRONG WRONG....

 Which reminds me of this gem, to show you what keeping it real is NOT about

http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/33704/a_mccain_rap_mccain_is_ok.html

 

 Everyone hates an imposter, and to be honest Christian rock is just that...It contains the same chords, the same instruments, the same chords and to an extent the same lyrics, but the ATTITUDE and the SOUL is lacking, which is the main criticism from most acknowledged music critics, and a main reason why christian rock has never made it big outside of religious spheres (whereas Rythm & blues, gospel and other forms of "honest" worship songs have made it big even outside just because of their authenticity).

 

 

 

What else is interesting is that Xians also absorb other parts of popular culture and Xian-ize it.  Anything done in the mainstream is copied, made sucky and then they stick the Jesus Brand on it.  "Jesusfied for your childrens protection!"

It's an entire sub-culture and it is spooky.

 

Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.
Isaac Asimov


Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
daedalus wrote: What else is

daedalus wrote:
What else is interesting is that Xians also absorb other parts of popular culture and Xian-ize it.  Anything done in the mainstream is copied, made sucky and then they stick the Jesus Brand on it.  "Jesusfied for your childrens protection!"

It's an entire sub-culture and it is spooky.

Yearh, like The Left Behind books.

Take the genres Suspense, Action, post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi and Disaster stories, and stick them in a context for christians, and all of a sudden you have this huge set of people who are seriously arguing that this is how it's gonna happen.

Trust christians to not even be able to distinguish their own fiction from fact.

I mean even Harry Potter fans, who can be pretty damn absorbed in their fantasy universe of choice, rarely actually believes that there is such a place as Hogwarts, or that magic can actually happen.

(Come to think of it, some Christians believe that the magic of the Harry Potter books is real... And that's it's making Warlocks and Witches out of little children... So at least they are consistent in believing any fiction to be reality. Hilariously stupid, but at least consistent).

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:If you

Kevin R Brown wrote:

If you don't like Tenacious D, you're a traitor.

Absolutely. All other bands only rock you half the time. I think that truly makes Tenacious D the hardest-working band around.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
I have nothing constructive

I have nothing constructive to add to this conversation, but just because it popped into my head, I'll mention that if nobody had ever been brave enough to try playing the tritone without proper setup and resolution, we'd never have had to endure Creed.... I'm not sure if that means the Catholics were right, but it sure makes the whole situation a bit more blurry.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


FreeThinker2012
Posts: 45
Joined: 2008-06-28
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Touched by Zen angels .... wild Alan Watts sent them my way !

Carl Sagan - "Pale Blue Dot" , 3 min   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M


"Wisdom of the Buddha" , 8 min  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

And that buddha, wise Pat Condell     

 

 

 

Pale Blue Dot:  Great stuff! Good thing it's still rated 5/5.

Pat Condell:  Funny man w/ excellent points. Sure wish people like him would dethrone pastors & priests from the pulpit!!

Jesus didn't ride a donkey don't ya know, he rode an Apotasaurus!
www.flickr.com/photos/58362611@N00/431306643/


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
daedalus wrote:What else is

daedalus wrote:

What else is interesting is that Xians also absorb other parts of popular culture and Xian-ize it.  Anything done in the mainstream is copied, made sucky and then they stick the Jesus Brand on it.  "Jesusfied for your childrens protection!"

It's an entire sub-culture and it is spooky.

It's that same old tactic they have used for centuries. They identify that if they tweek a few things about their beliefs or even their wardrobe they will get a new culture of converts. So... they just change it.

It's an oversimplification but the Catholic church converted the entirity of Ireland by adopting a couple of its rituals and re-presenting Christianity to them in a way they could relate to. They absorb cultures by the handfuls by just being flexible about the word of god (on their own terms).

Xianizing works, it always has. If it ain't broke... use a tired old tactic to try and break it!