"If anyone could make Christian theocracy smell like apple pie, Sarah Palin could."

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
"If anyone could make Christian theocracy smell like apple pie, Sarah Palin could."

The subject line was taken from a September 20th Newsweek article by Sam Harris. In his article he talks of Palin's candidacy and the threat it poses to America.

READ IT HERE

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think she'll get PWNED

I think she'll get PWNED when she debates Biden.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I think

MattShizzle wrote:

I think she'll get PWNED when she debates Biden.

Yearh Matt. I read this little gem on CrooksandLiars.com and was laughing with barely controlled glee.

I am usually a little ashamed of wallowing in other people's unhapiness, but this was just too ironic:

Quote:
Conservatives starting to panic about Palin

By: SilentPatriot @ 4:15 PM - PDT  

Prominent conservatives are finally starting to realize that an unqualified half-term hockey mom from Alaska might not be the best choice to be a 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency. Here’s the brutal roundup.

Kathleen Parker:

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted. Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there.

Wingnut extaordinaire K-Lo:

I’m not where my friend Kathleen Parker is — wanting her to step aside to spend more time with her family and Alaska — but that’s not a crazy suggestion. 

McCain campaign insiders, via Ed Schultz:

McCain Camp insiders say Palin “clueless”

Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as “disastrous.” One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, “What are we going to do?” The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is “clueless.”

Etc., etc., etc., etc.

Here's the link: http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/09/26/conservatives-starting-to-panic-about-palin/

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I can't believe the regular

I can't believe the regular media doesn't bring up just how insane she is:

1. She wants abortion illegal even in cases of rape and incest

2. She wants creationism taught in Biology classes

3. She doesn't believe global warming is caused by humans

4. She belongs to a church that is big on endtimes (and looks forward to them) and speaking in tongues. Do you really want someone who thinks the end of the world would be a good thing to have the capability of bringing it about?

5. She thinks "In God we Trust" was on the money and "Under God" was in the pledge since the founding of the country (The pledge wasn't even written until around the turn of the 20th century and didn't have those 2 words until the 1950s. IGWT was on some coins during the Civil War but wasn't on most coins or on paper money until the 1950s. THese were added then due to McCarthyism - the extreme, paranoid, fanatical fear of Communism-  and incorrectly associating it with Atheism - during that period. )

6. She thinks the war in Iraq is a quest from God.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Those are all very scary

Those are all very scary points Matt. Not just for "atheists or secularists" but all of America. It appears to me that she is just not that informed about political issues but has a great grasp on the more 'emotional' issues. How will emotion influence the UN? How will emotion help to keep relations with Russia from blowing up into another cold war?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love Sam's writing almost

I love Sam's writing almost more than his speaking.

He's got Palin down very, very well....

Malus domestica

with a little sugar, cinnamon and crust....mmmmm.

There you go.

This year we will see yet another *experimental* election 

(in a long running series of tests)

to determine whether the bulk of American people

are paying attention to not just the issues, but the

candidates and their motivations.

I still can't figure out why McCain didn't opt for

Olympia Snowe... so many many positives there.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know she's scary and all,

I know she's scary and all, but still you guys: people in the McCain camp whispering nervously to eachother: "What are we going to do? She's clueless!" should calm us all down a little.

I mean, when the conservative pundits are allready loosing faith in her after a month, and are openly criticizing her, doesn't that indicate that she was a huge mistake on McCain's part, I mean purely from a political perspective?

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:I mean, when

Nikolaj wrote:

I mean, when the conservative pundits are allready loosing faith in her after a month, and are openly criticizing her, doesn't that indicate that she was a huge mistake on McCain's part, I mean purely from a political perspective?

You underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or you underestimate the

Or you underestimate the intelligence of the American independents and moderate conservatives.

I don't live in America. I don't want to pretend like I know better, but when the conservative media is not all celebrating Palin, I see that as a symptom that the people that stands in the middle between the two sides of the culture war can still save the country.

Remember that I don't underestimate the stupidity of some of the American puplic. Many many people will vote for Palin (that is, they'll vote for McCain, only because of Palin) simply because she's a woman, simply because she's evangelical, simply because she's "hot" or whatever.

Sure many many people are so stupid they shouldn't be trusted to sit the right way on a toiletseat, let alone vote.

But we've always known that. But they would have voted for McCain regardless of Palin anyway, because of Obama (that is again, nothing to do with McCain, and everything to do with Obama). They'd do it because his black, or because he's "a rotten ol' Moslem", or "a stinkin' Lib'rall".

But the people who will decide the election are the people who are stupid enough to not be liberal, but not stupid enough to be rednecks, and they can be swayed by conservative pundits saying things like: "Palin is an earnest, attractive, confident candidate who is way out of her league"

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:I know she's

Nikolaj wrote:

I know she's scary and all, but still you guys: people in the McCain camp whispering nervously to eachother: "What are we going to do? She's clueless!" should calm us all down a little.

Nikolaj,

Yes, you're absolutely right. We should maintain a sense of calm. I just don't want the States to lose the sense of getting themselves to the voting booths on election day to put an end to this potential disaster in the making. It's imperative.

I suspect, I am in a slightly different camp in regards to the addition of the Alaskan governor to the trunk ticket. While many around me have said stuff like: "Oh, well he didn't choose her very wisely so even though I'm a Republican I'm voting Obama.", and...  "McCain didn't check her out thoroughly and so even though I voted for Bush and Reagan twice, I just can't bring myself to vote McCain/Palin."

You see, Nikolaj, I think both McCain and the Republican party leaders did check her out completely. I think they knew her strengths and weaknesses from top to bottom but calculated on the pick. They knew just how overwhelmingly positive the initial American reaction would be. Oooh, a woman on a major party ticket. Ooh, a woman in the White House as Vice President. Ooh, this makes up for Hillary getting snubbed. Ooh, she appeals to the far right big time. Ooh, man is she ever HOTT !!! Etc,etc. 

The Republican brain trust knew there was only this teeny tiny window of two little months before election day. Only two months for them to "hang on", so long as they could keep her mostly in the shadows. Which, btw, they've managed to do quite nicely.... so far.

You've noticed some Republicans are, as you put it, whispering. While that whispering no doubt revolves around the slow erosion taking place at the feet of Governor Palin, she is still standing. Those whispers need to become louder so that everyone gets the message, including the stalwarts of the elephant brigade as well as independent voters who haven't yet made up their minds.

I hope I'm wrong but I still see this race as too close for my comfort and I'd absolutely hate to see a repeat of the 2000 election, with the Dems winning the popular vote and the trunks taking the electoral college count.

So yes, I still have concerns.   

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote: I hope I'm

Wonko wrote:
I hope I'm wrong but I still see this race as too close for my comfort and I'd absolutely hate to see a repeat of the 2000 election, with the Dems winning the popular vote and the trunks taking the electoral college count.

So yes, I still have concerns.

You are absolutely right. The race is still too close to call. And it is a shame, a travesty of human intellect even, that Obama isn't a landslide shoe-in, because he ought to be, if Americans really wanted what's best for their country. Of course, they do, but some are stupid enough to Believe that McCain/Palin is just that.

But I see things moving in the right direction, and I don't think people ought to be too alarmist about Palin, since she is as much a danger to the McCain camp as she is an advantage. So at worst, I think the votes she'll scare away equals the votes she'll pull in, making her completely neutral.

But you are right. It's too close to call, and resting on your laurals would be a very dangerous thing indeed.

I'm rooting for you from over here, and I'll be following the election intensely, and certainly with some trepedation. Alot is, after all, ridding on this.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You really don't understand

You really don't understand the US Nikolaj. A VERY high minority of people here agree with her 100% - look how an atheist is less likely than a homosexual, moslem or whatever to be elected, there was that graph a couple years ago that showed the vast majority of Americans don't believe in evolution - and about half believe in a literal 6 day creation about 6000 years ago. People here are way more ignorant and less open minded than in Europe. Can you imagine GWB getting more than 10% of the vote had he been born in and ran in any European country? Many here still think Saddam was connected with 9/11. Look how popular FAUX News still is! Not only are there a lot of ignorant, stupid and bigoted people here, they are also the most likely to vote.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: You

MattShizzle wrote:
You really don't understand the US Nikolaj.
You're right, I don't. Well at least, what I think I understand, I should remember to take with a grain of salt, because the US is very far away from here, and not just in terms of miles.

But I hope you are a little wrong too. I hope you have an exagerated impression the facts a little. Otherwise you really are screwed. Hell, we all are.

But, hey, we'll know come November.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It looks like Obama will

It looks like Obama will probably win. I hope so. The idiots and religious fanatics are so powerful here though. And too many people still believe a lot of the lies about Obama. McCain wouldn't be as bad as Bush, but if he died I bet the Ayatollah of Alaska would be even worse.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You see, Nikolaj, I

Quote:
You see, Nikolaj, I think both McCain and the Republican party leaders did check her out completely. I think they knew her strengths and weaknesses from top to bottom but calculated on the pick. They knew just how overwhelmingly positive the initial American reaction would be. Oooh, a woman on a major party ticket. Ooh, a woman in the White House as Vice President. Ooh, this makes up for Hillary getting snubbed. Ooh, she appeals to the far right big time. Ooh, man is she ever HOTT !!! Etc,etc

I disagree.

I'm hesitant to bring-up an example from a T.V. drama, but: for those here that also used to watch 'The West Wing', do you recall the episode where Bartlett nearly caused a huge international crisis when he picked-out the wrong flag for Taiwan and people thought he was making a complex political maneuver - but, in reality, it was as simple as him not realizing he'd picked the wrong flag because he couldn't see it (his medical condition, I think it was MS, had cropped-up and blinded him in one eye - unknown to anyone at the time).

I think McCain had called Palin or Palin's office for a matter totally unrelated to the VP ticket, and then got talking with Palin but forgot why he'd called her. Someone or something then just incidentally (and most certainly accidentally) queued him into 'remembering' that he'd called her about the VP ticket, and things spiraled into their ridiculous current state from there.

The Republicans clearly look embarassed about the whole thing, McCain's campaign commitee included. This is clearly visible in the fact that Palin is kept on such a short leash and largely out of camera view. If it was their 'master plan' to get the hot young sportscaster riding with them, they sure aren't acting like it.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Without derailing this

Without derailing this thread, I thought people might find this amusing:

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Without

natural wrote:

Without derailing this thread, I thought people might find this amusing:

Whoaaaa.... she almost called out my name!!!

I can't quite make out the cartoonist name....

looks like Oliphant ?   Good job, in any case.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
tf00t's latest 'Why Do

tf00t's latest 'Why Do People Laugh at Creationists?' video deals with Palin, too:

...Man, is it just me, or does Cafferty look blood-boilingly pissed in the segment shown here?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Saul Paul resurrected as a

Saul Paul resurrected as a girl,  clever lying Paline , yicks ....

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
My fear is that Palin is

My fear is that Palin is acting more stupid then she really is. With the expectations being below ground level at the moment, even a moderately poor performance in the debate with Biden will feel like a crushing victory for the McCain campaign, and suddenly all the worries that have been expressed about palin so far will, in the minds of moderate conservative voters, feel like hysterical ad-hominem attacks by the Democrats.

Don't forget that she did manage to get elected as a mayor and later as a governor. She may have gotten there mostly because of clever campaigning teams and her own charms and good looks, but utter stupidity like she displayed in the two interviews with her would have instantly disqualified her those earlier offices.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yaerav wrote:My fear is that

Yaerav wrote:

My fear is that Palin is acting more stupid then she really is. With the expectations being below ground level at the moment, even a moderately poor performance in the debate with Biden will feel like a crushing victory for the McCain campaign, and suddenly all the worries that have been expressed about palin so far will, in the minds of moderate conservative voters, feel like hysterical ad-hominem attacks by the Democrats.

Don't forget that she did manage to get elected as a mayor and later as a governor. She may have gotten there mostly because of clever campaigning teams and her own charms and good looks, but utter stupidity like she displayed in the two interviews with her would have instantly disqualified her those earlier offices.

She got elected Mayor of Wasilla, a town of (then) 6,000 people, but the fastest-growing area in Alaska. It's not hard to get elected Mayor of a small town like that. And, she is fairly-well liked in Wasilla. (I have relatives there who know her through PTA and council meetings and sports and such. As one said, "I like her good enough, but there's no way in hell I'm voting for her." )

She got elected Governor of Alaska because she was running against the least-popular governer in a long while. Actually, she beat him out in the primary; he was also Republican. Alaska is, in general, a Republican state. Rather, a libertarian state where the libertarian party calls themselves Republicans. Don't get me wrong -- Alaska has a large liberal contingent, as well. In 2000, 10% of Alaskans voted for Nader (me included). Also, Murkowski left the senate to fill the void left when democrat Tony Knowles decided not to run for governor after two popular terms. So it's not that bad.

So, Palin beat Murkowski out in the primaries, and got elected because she was a Republican. She's not stupid, but she ain't real bright, either. She's not acting stupid, she's just out of her league.

As for the reasons McCain asked her to run as his VP candidate: he's hoping to sway the disillusioned Hillary voters. Also, Palin had a very high approval rating in AK, something like 80%, the highest of any governor. So she probably seemed like a good choice.

I think Biden is going to crush her in the debates, though. When people look back at this election, this upcoming debate will be noted as the rubicon. I don't think McCain can possibly recover.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Yaerav wrote:My fear is that

Yaerav wrote:

I was just thinking about this today at work!! What if she is putting on an act to be portrayed by the media as 'stupid' then she comes out with full intellect 'on' during the debate and kicks Bidens' ass...she gains the support of people who will come to the conclusion that she has been unfailry portrayed in the media....   EEK, scary

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. The more and more I

Wow. The more and more I hear her talk and read about her, the more it makes Dan Quayle look like a genius.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
She sucks.

She sucks.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm dubious of her 'putting

I'm dubious of her 'putting on an act'. Don't suspect malice when stupidity will suffice, as they say.

At any rate, I doubt Biden will mop the floor with her. The man is a loud-mouthed idiot himself, and incredibly likely to say something self-damning in the heat of the moment.

Quote:

February 27, 1940