Question about definitions

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Question about definitions

Hello. I've been a silent observer of the RRS forums for about two and a half months now, and this is one question that has been bugging me ever since I first found the site.

One of the first things I did when I found RRS was read the "Am I Agnostic or Atheist" article and determined that I am an atheist. Then, when I read the FAQ for the article, it said, "...one thing that dictionaries usually do not do is provide a rigorous philosophical justification for every definition listed." Since regular dictionaries have been excluded as valid sources, this lead me to ask the question:

Where can I find rigorous definitions for terms that I can use in philosophical discussions? 

(btw, the article I was referring to can be found here: http://www.rationalresponders.com/am_i_agnostic_or_atheist)

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Umm, I don't know, but

Umm, I don't know, but definitions do vary. Example, I AM GOD, JUST AS YOU, just as everything is 100% G-O-D !   There is no possible master, therefore I am atheist, and not a bit agnostic. Some say that is your religion your faith ... I answer , I am what I am, GOD, WTF else can everything be .... God of religion separatism is retarded.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatthedeuce wrote:Hello.

Whatthedeuce wrote:

Hello. I've been a silent observer of the RRS forums for about two and a half months now, and this is one question that has been bugging me ever since I first found the site.

Well thanks for reading first. That's quite commendable.

Quote:
One of the first things I did when I found RRS was read the "Am I Agnostic or Atheist" article and determined that I am an atheist. Then, when I read the FAQ for the article, it said, "...one thing that dictionaries usually do not do is provide a rigorous philosophical justification for every definition listed." Since regular dictionaries have been excluded as valid sources, this lead me to ask the question:

Where can I find rigorous definitions for terms that I can use in philosophical discussions?

The easiest answer is to agree on the meaning of the terms with the person you are engaging in the conversation. If you and I look at Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers' and I call the color of the petals yellow, but you call the color of the petals canary then we haven't agreed or disagreed, we have simply failed to disambiguate the terminologies.

I think that part of the FAQ is there to dissuade people from declaring they have THE one and only source of philosophical 'truth'. In order to cause you to think, it has been presented with reasons for the usage of those terms involving the etymological breakdown of the words in context.

Given the fact that some of us can be rather sesquipedalian in nature, the dictionary is merely the starting point for determining an intersubjective meaning.

Quite officiously, Nietzsche said, "The liar uses the valid designations, the words, to make the unreal seem real."

In order to counter that alleged 'truth' about human nature, it seems apparent that the only recourse is the act of agreeing upon the experience behind the word between the individuals communicating.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Google Nietzsche Quotes,"A

Google Nietzsche Quotes,

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum [of linguistics] shows that faith does not prove anything."

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."

THE ANTICHRIST

by Friedrich Nietzsche

Published 1895

translation by H.L. Mencken

http://www.fns.org.uk/ac.htm

"The "humanitarian" blessings of Christianity forsooth! To breed out of humanitas a self-contradiction, an art of self-pollution, a will to lie at any price, an aversion and contempt for all good and honest instincts!

I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough,--I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race. . . . "  F.N. ~~~

HEY RRS, can someone sent a link of this to me, my PC denies me ?????????

Nietzsche's The Antichrist, by Travis J. Denneson

SEE Part 4 , IV. The Buddhistic Jesus?

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/travis_denneson/antichrist.html

godmachine
User is offlineOffline
i'm new too

All this quibbling over terminology is a game that I got tired of playing a long time ago. I self-identify as non-religious because i think there are metaphysical problems implied by both the terms "agnostic" and "atheist"

atheism, as i understand it, is the position that the propositions regarding the existence of a God or gods are false.

agnosticism, as i understand it, is the position that it is not possible to determine the truth value of propositions regarding the existence of a God or gods.

both positions, however, admit that there can be meaningful propositions about the existence or non existence of a God or gods. 

I don't think that that is at all obvious, and in fact would hold that the opposite is the case and that such propositions are not meaningful at all. It simply doesn't make sense to say "God exists" or "God doesn't exist." I have no idea what either of those sentences mean beyond a relationship to adherence to the articles of faith of a specific religion. Even then, it's confusing about what exactly an individual might mean to say that they believe or don't believe. In any given case that's probably going to be a long conversation, and more likely than not, I'll take issue with something somebody says at some point along the way whether they identify as theistic, atheistic, or agnostic.

so I say i'm non-religious. it gets me by.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"so I say i'm non-religious.

"so I say i'm non-religious. it gets me by."  = Atheist, as no to gods of traditional theism.  Carl Sagan talks about this etc,

http://www.hillmans.soupbo.com/bu/sagan1.html

As for my Atheism = All is One, No Master, I am GOD. A pretty good recent scientific definition of God is thermodynamics. A better understanding of time would help and is slowly but surely forthcoming. Religion answers nothing.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
godmachine wrote:so I say

godmachine wrote:
so I say i'm non-religious. it gets me by.
And that is all it does because you've massacred reason and have decided to be intellectually coawrdly.  One question for you, though.  Do you believe in god(s), any god or gods, at all?  And if you fail to answer because you take issue with that question because you don't know what it is to believe something, I recommend checking your pulse for you might make a startling discovery about belief without the need to have it explained to you.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Good Thomathy, dumb me fails

Good Thomathy, dumb me fails to understand your rather "strong" objection to godmachine's first rrs post, other than to not endorse appeasement of idol worship nonsense.  Maybe say again ???

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the answer

Thanks for the answer darth_josh. I suppose it was wishful thinking that led me to hope for one source containing rigorous definitions for all philosophical terms.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatthedeuce wrote:Thanks

Whatthedeuce wrote:

Thanks for the answer darth_josh. I suppose it was wishful thinking that led me to hope for one source containing rigorous definitions for all philosophical terms.

Don't lose hope. We've(the human race) come together many times to define things for one another. Earth, human, plant, animal are all examples of words which cannot be used as lies anymore. When our understanding of the concepts of 'being' is progressed, there very well could be objective answers to philosophical questions.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.