The universe gives up another secret....that results in another round of questions regarding reality.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The universe gives up another secret....that results in another round of questions regarding reality.

Article Here

Discuss?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy crap, that's cool! Hm.

Holy crap, that's cool!

Hm. Could it just be some sort of gravitational interaction between Dark Matter and the clusters in question?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I sure don't like the

I sure don't like the wording in that article.  Get too many theists reading about things outside the "observable universe" and we're going to have a whole new stalemate on our hands.

For any theists reading -- "outside the observable universe" to scientists is NOT the same as "outside the observable universe" to theists.  Light can only travel so fast, and there are simply parts of the universe that are too far from us to ever be observed.  It's simple, ok?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was thinking the same

I was thinking the same things while I read that, Hambydammit.  'Wow, so neat!  Can't wait for further research.  Wait... dammit!  The theists are going to take this all the wrong way.' 

No doubt some theist will come to us with this article in tow and shrill, 'Now look, there's stuff outside the universe!  Ha!  Explain that!  And look, it interacts with the universe! Ha!'

I can't wait!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I think the key word

Well, I think the key word is 'observable'. It's not outside the universe at all (as the label would suggest) like a theist believes their deity to be - it's just outside the part we can see (as you two point out).

Err... I wonder if 'visible universe' would've been a better term? Clearly it's not 'unobservable'; we're certainly observing it through it's effects.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, if I understand it

Well, if I understand it right, there are parts of the "visible" universe (i.e. within 13.6 billion light years or so of earth) that are invisible to us even with the best telescopes.  So, it's kind of contradictory.

By the way, when the theists start trotting this article out, here's the simple answer:

"Right, dipshit.  The thing is... that stuff outside of the observable universe interacted with parts of the observable universe.  That's how we know it exists.  EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE.  Now, please provide empirical evidence for God interacting with the universe."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...And then they'll

...And then they'll demonstrate their ability to turn every argument into a circle-jerk by just pointing back to this article and saying, "There it is! Right there! Who do you think is doing that!"

Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...And

Kevin R Brown wrote:
...And then they'll demonstrate their ability to turn every argument into a circle-jerk by just pointing back to this article and saying, "There it is! Right there! Who do you think is doing that!"

Sticking out tongue

"What? Your god sucks? Sucks on the ass end of space?"

Well, if they're gonna be irrational about it, why can't I be?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Now look, there's stuff

Now look, there's stuff outside the universe!  Ha!  Explain that!  And look, it interacts with the universe! Ha!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I sure

Hambydammit wrote:

I sure don't like the wording in that article.  Get too many theists reading about things outside the "observable universe" and we're going to have a whole new stalemate on our hands.

For any theists reading -- "outside the observable universe" to scientists is NOT the same as "outside the observable universe" to theists.  Light can only travel so fast, and there are simply parts of the universe that are too far from us to ever be observed.  It's simple, ok?

Bullshit! MAGIC EXISTS!

It is just like the line in "Dumb and Dumber" "So your saying there's a chance"

NO!

Just like in the past we know that species of insects exist, just because we didn't know about prior insects that we have now discoverd, does not mean that Superman created a  octolegipussupervenoumousvelvetporkupine.

All this means is that nature, as it can be understood currently, does not reveal anything beyond what we can currently observe. Much like nature was not super natural back when we could only observe the sun but at the same time thought the world was flat.

Whatever we dont know now,  seems to lead to nature when we do uncover more. Whatever theists think tends to get it's ass kicked by reality.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Means shit nothing much, 

Means shit nothing much,  as far as me and you being GOD .... WOW , all science is to what I AM .... exactly as you. If we knew it all, as all would know all is god. God is what all is  .... Religion NO, fuck NO  .... No worship, No Master, No first cause, No beginning, No designer, No religion.