slacker uprising?

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
slacker uprising?

So, it seems Michael Moore is coming out with a new movie... It looks okay, i think its a great idea tho of giving out the movie for free Smiling  [sorry Europe, he doesn't say anything bout you getting it for free]  This way, there is no need for pirating.
I also like the idea of getting young people to vote, too many people my age don't, and i don't like that; and then alot of them wonder why tuition and such go up because, we don't vote there's no input from our generation of people... I could care less what you registered for or who you decided to vote for, as long as you voted.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Michael Moore strikes me as

Michael Moore strikes me as the Liberal version of O'Reilly.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I usually agree with Michael

I usually agree with Michael Moore. I'd actually rather see someone not vote than vote Republican.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
What exactly is the big huge

What exactly is the big huge thing with everyone voting down there anyway? What value does a vote have if not cast responsibly? What's the point of getting 200 million people to vote when they don't give a rats ass and vote for some random guy? It seems counter-productive. Sure, I've heard the argument that John Doe didn't die in WWI so you could sit on your ass during voting time. Guess what guys? John Doe didn't die in WWI so you could vote for an idiot either.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Michael Moore

Vastet wrote:
I find that very apt.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:What exactly is

Vastet wrote:

What exactly is the big huge thing with everyone voting down there anyway? What value does a vote have if not cast responsibly? What's the point of getting 200 million people to vote when they don't give a rats ass and vote for some random guy? It seems counter-productive.

I may be wrong, but I see it as a knee-jerk reaction left over from Jim Crow.  Activists had to put their lives on the line to make sure Southern blacks had the right to vote.   However, I do agree with you that ignorant voting is a very bad idea.

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
REASON!!!!!!!! TO VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I VOTE:    ERGO I BITCH.

This post is to anyone who  does NOT vote but then bitches and complains about elected officials ANYWHERE in the world if you can't bother to vote,  then keep your opinions to yourselves::: you didn't take part in the process then no whinning about the results.   SUFFER!!!!!!

I always vote;    at every election.  therefore  (ergo)  I reserve the right to  bitch and complain about every politician on the face of the earth;    WE  must promote democracy everywhere!!!!!

My candidates do not always win (I'm about 50/50 on winning) but I still vote.

To those who do not vote ( for what ever reason) should just sit the fuck down and put up with what or who people like me STICK you with.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Good, more Moore. Get some

Good, more Moore.

Get some political education and vote you poor saps, or the rich fucks will take what's left of you.

"The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin" - Mark Twain

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you." ~ Perticles 430 B.C

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     I

Jeffrick wrote:

This post is to anyone who  does NOT vote but then bitches and complains about elected officials ANYWHERE in the world if you can't bother to vote,  then keep your opinions to yourselves::: you didn't take part in the process then no whinning about the results.   SUFFER!!!!!!

I always vote;    at every election.  therefore  (ergo)  I reserve the right to  bitch and complain about every politician on the face of the earth;    WE  must promote democracy everywhere!!!!!

To those who do not vote ( for what ever reason) should just sit the fuck down and put up with what or who people like me STICK you with.

Give me someone to vote FOR instead of asking me to choose between the lesser of two evils!

YA THINK!

Other countries have multiple political parties and adjust their electorate according to the votes cast.

Let's look at Ukraine's parliament for a ready example. You want to talk partisanship, try having an election with no less than 20 parties (blocs) on the ballot.

When one group tries to get more power, they can dissolve the entire body of parliament and have new elections like they're headed for now. Shit! We couldn't even get Bush impeached for ineptitude. Ukraine fires people if they deadlock on an issue of the constitution.

THAT is closer to democracy than what 'we' have in the US. Here, it's red, blue, or 1% green. There, they even have Orange, White, Purple, and Gold parties in addition to ours.

So yeah. I'm gonna bitch. I have issues with both McCain and Obama. I'd vote Obama just to be voting against McCain. And THAT is your idea of something NOT to bitch about???

So sure, go ahead and call me unpatriotic. You'd be absolutely right! I despise what we have 'been stuck with' but tell me where are the alternatives worth a damn.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah darth, I'd most always

Yeah darth, I'd most always vote 3 party, but I don't, because the virtual 2 party system sucks. Umm , how to fix? Bitch louder, but we still must vote. Shit, we should be voting on all kinds of stuff, and often ..... I'm pissed off, pass it on ....

Solution: Voting should be a choice of preferences, 1 thru 10 or whatever, NOT, "pick one only". Seems even the V.P. position should be selected this way. With this improved method, a truer picture of the people's wishes would be made visible and realized. Also, the electoral college should be dropped, which was only useful in the "pre-instant electronic communication", horse and buggy days. 

Brain dead economy solution: Reinstate only 'half stupid' Bill Clinton's better $ policy.   

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     I

Jeffrick wrote:

Ok, seriously. What makes you, who voted for one of two morons, better than the guy/girl who recognized they were morons and decided not to vote for a moron? Citizenship guarantees the right to bitch, not voting.

*Editted because annoying computer erased my text in a refreshment as I clicked to post*

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't see Obama as a moron

I don't see Obama as a moron at all. And even if it was a not-too-good democratic candidate, I'd see that candidate against even a better than average republican one as like a choice between getting slapped in the face with a bare hand or kicked in the nuts with a steel-tipped boot. Given the choice, wouldn't you rather be slapped than risk having the other happen?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I don't

MattShizzle wrote:

I don't see Obama as a moron at all. And even if it was a not-too-good democratic candidate, I'd see that candidate against even a better than average republican one as like a choice between getting slapped in the face with a bare hand or kicked in the nuts with a steel-tipped boot. Given the choice, wouldn't you rather be slapped than risk having the other happen?

I never called Obama a moron. You will note that Obama has participated as a presidential candidate in exactly one election in 200+ years of American history. An election that hasn't even happened yet. Noone has ever voted for Obama.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
OK - look at the last 2

OK - look at the last 2 elctions. Neither Kerry nor Gore would have been that great a president, but they obviously would have been better than what we wound up with (hell, a syphillitic monkey could have done a better job. Or a random inmate from a state psychiatric hospital. )

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:OK - look

MattShizzle wrote:

OK - look at the last 2 elctions. Neither Kerry nor Gore would have been that great a president, but they obviously would have been better than what we wound up with (hell, a syphillitic monkey could have done a better job. Or a random inmate from a state psychiatric hospital. )

I used to think that anyone would be better than Bush. His reelection shattered that thought, and any hope I ever had that the US would become a respectable and responsible world power some day. Obviously I was mistaken. His first election could be considered incoherant and the largest federal scale self embarassment in Earth history, but his reelection was solid. 3 years after all his lies were exposed as lies, the US continued following like blind dogs on a leash heading for a cliff. *Shrug* What could Kerry have done? What could Gore have done? The people wanted war. The people wanted Bush. By the way, Gore certainly isn't impressing me lately either. The last thing global warming debates needed was more lies wrapped in half truths. Actually, when I think about it, Gore may be doing more harm out of office than Bush did in office. Time will tell.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Michael Moore is both good

Michael Moore is both good and bad. He makes easily digestible political fodder, that often entertains and educates, but...he is also dishonest in many of those portrayals, facts, and framing to further his goals in the classical "ends justify the means" mentality. I have watched all of his movies, and enjoyed most of them. Bowling for Columbine I thought was quite unfair to average gun owners and aficionados like myself, as well as Charlton Heston(who was completely deceived) but you aren't going to agree with everyone all of the time. I think Michael Moore is usually about 75% honest in his movies, but when you are making documentaries 100% should really be the standard.

A good truth telling documentary about some of Mike's dishonesty is called "Manufacturing Dissent" by a Canadian journalist. Its not real flashy, but its entertaining and not done by a right wing hack who simply despises all things progressive and all things Michael Moore.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Michael Moore is both good and bad. He makes easily digestible political fodder, that often entertains and educates, but...he is also dishonest in many of those portrayals, facts, and framing to further his goals in the classical "ends justify the means" mentality. I have watched all of his movies, and enjoyed most of them. Bowling for Columbine I thought was quite unfair to average gun owners and aficionados like myself, as well as Charlton Heston(who was completely deceived) but you aren't going to agree with everyone all of the time. I think Michael Moore is usually about 75% honest in his movies, but when you are making documentaries 100% should really be the standard.

A good truth telling documentary about some of Mike's dishonesty is called "Manufacturing Dissent" by a Canadian journalist. Its not real flashy, but its entertaining and not done by a right wing hack who simply despises all things progressive and all things Michael Moore.

That was an awesome documentary. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Vastet

JillSwift wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I find that very apt.

At one time, back when he made *Roger and Me*, he wasn't nearly as bad.

As his popularity status has increased, so his ego has grown and his values changed.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote:JillSwift

Wonko wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I find that very apt.

As his popularity status has increased, so his ego has grown and his values changed.

Wonko, I thought the same thing after I watched Roger and Me, that it was a great and honest portrayal of events. He actually met with Roger a few times, and the cutting of the footage created a picture of things that was respectfully far less than honest. I was disappointed with Roger and Me after I watched Manufacturing Dissent because the basic premise was that Roger would never meet with Moore or talk to him.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:Wonko

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Wonko wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I find that very apt.

Wonko, I thought the same thing after I watched Roger and Me, that it was a great and honest portrayal of events. He actually met with Roger a few times, and the cutting of the footage created a picture of things that was respectfully far less than honest. I was disappointed with Roger and Me after I watched Manufacturing Dissent because the basic premise was that Roger would never meet with Moore or talk to him.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't extolling that film but rather pointing out that at the time he

made it, he was virtually unkown, at least in the U.S. It was due to the success of

that film, whether the premise of Roger and Me was whole or not, that his ego took

off. He began recieving all kinds of accolades and it really shaped who he is today.

My previous post lacked clarity.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote:Yes, sorry, I

Wonko wrote:

Yes, sorry, I wasn't extolling that film but rather pointing out that at the time he

made it, he was virtually unkown, at least in the U.S. It was due to the success of

that film, whether the premise of Roger and Me was whole or not, that his ego took

off. He began recieving all kinds of accolades and it really shaped who he is today.

My previous post lacked clarity.

I see, seems like once certain people get a small piece of fame they become egomaniacs bent on success and promoting their ideas with the facts taking a backseat at times.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
jeffrick,Come back and

jeffrick,

Come back and defend your post. Please.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
returned

darth_josh wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Give me someone to vote FOR instead of asking me to choose between the lesser of two evils!

YA THINK!

Other countries have multiple political parties and adjust their electorate according to the votes cast.

Let's look at Ukraine's parliament for a ready example. You want to talk partisanship, try having an election with no less than 20 parties (blocs) on the ballot.

When one group tries to get more power, they can dissolve the entire body of parliament and have new elections like they're headed for now. Shit! We couldn't even get Bush impeached for ineptitude. Ukraine fires people if they deadlock on an issue of the constitution.

THAT is closer to democracy than what 'we' have in the US. Here, it's red, blue, or 1% green. There, they even have Orange, White, Purple, and Gold parties in addition to ours.

So yeah. I'm gonna bitch. I have issues with both McCain and Obama. I'd vote Obama just to be voting against McCain. And THAT is your idea of something NOT to bitch about???

So sure, go ahead and call me unpatriotic. You'd be absolutely right! I despise what we have 'been stuck with' but tell me where are the alternatives worth a damn.

As you requested in a later post I am back to defend my post.       First off I didn't call anyone unpatriotic for not voting,  my post was based on being OVERLY bitchy about elections frompeople who don't bother to vote. Democracy is the best form of government I"ve seen and the best way to preserve it is to take part in the process.           Pollsters know and inform politicians exactly who does the most bitching AND voting  versus those that just bitch and complain;   Now take a guess who the campaigners suck up to for votes and who they ignor.          Fundy christians, Jews and Muslims get more attention then they deserve because they vote in such large numbers. Here in my city off Mississauga and Peel region we are likely to have six members out of ten from the Seikh community (I'll be voting for one myself) the Seikhs do NOT make up 60% of the population,  more like 8% or less. But they are well organized prosperous and they bring a lot of Non-siekh asians into the voting booths. 

Now here in Canada we do NOT have write in spaces on the ballets,  but if we find all the selections unworthy of our vote we can just fold it up and stuff it in the ballot box unmarked. Our duty to democracy is done and our conscience is clear.   The USA had write-in votes when I lived there over thirty years ago; do they still have this?  Then write in a name you can agree with or leave it blank.

Some pollster will then know you are someone worth listening to,  that serves and helps preserve democracy in your country. You'll still get stuck with people you can't stand but that to is democracy.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:    As you

Jeffrick wrote:

As you requested in a later post I am back to defend my post.
 Cool.      
Quote:
First off I didn't call anyone unpatriotic for not voting,  my post was based on being OVERLY bitchy about elections from people who don't bother to vote. Democracy is the best form of government I"ve seen and the best way to preserve it is to take part in the process.
 The initial 'fire' from your fingertips led me to believe that even my reasons given for not voting wouldn't be enough in your eyes for me to bitch about after this election.       
Quote:
  Pollsters know and inform politicians exactly who does the most bitching AND voting  versus those that just bitch and complain;   Now take a guess who the campaigners suck up to for votes and who they ignor.
 Demographics, not democracy.        
Quote:
Fundy christians, Jews and Muslims get more attention then they deserve because they vote in such large numbers. Here in my city off Mississauga and Peel region we are likely to have six members out of ten from the Seikh community (I'll be voting for one myself) the Seikhs do NOT make up 60% of the population,  more like 8% or less. But they are well organized prosperous and they bring a lot of Non-siekh asians into the voting booths. 

Now here in Canada we do NOT have write in spaces on the ballets,  but if we find all the selections unworthy of our vote we can just fold it up and stuff it in the ballot box unmarked. Our duty to democracy is done and our conscience is clear.   The USA had write-in votes when I lived there over thirty years ago; do they still have this?  Then write in a name you can agree with or leave it blank.

I was wondering why the price of canadian paper pulp was such a good investment. It's electronic and if you don't click someone then it don't count.

Quote:
Some pollster will then know you are someone worth listening to,  that serves and helps preserve democracy in your country. You'll still get stuck with people you can't stand but that to is democracy.

Actually, it is a federal republic. I gave you an idea of what a representative democracy looks like with the Ukraine. Currently, one representative has half a million people to represent in one house here. Is that person in charge of finding out what the majority opinion in their constituency says? NO. After 2 years of doing what they want instead of what we want then perhaps they'll be gone in order for us to delusionally hope the next guy/girl won't be the same way.

The 'pollsters' and oh my gosh do we have enough of them, work on such small samples of the populace that the only time we can give any credence to the results is when every one of them say nearly the same thing. Such as Bush's approval rating.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slacker uprising, I love

Slacker uprising, I love it.  It's like military intelligence. 

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
vote

You think we have too meny pollsters and polls,  so do I .  They aren't going anywhere and yes they do take a small sampleing to get their results, very irritating to me but I'm not sure a larger sampling will give different results. 

Politicians running for office live and breath on their pollsters advice;  I wish the fuck they wouldn't but it is a reality we all have to live with.   Staying home on election day is NOT the best way to deal with that reality.

Canada s   parliment works the same way as Ukraine's with less confussion, we even have a party sitting members in the Federal Parliment (collecting pay checks and pensions) dedicated to seperating Quebec from the rest of Canada; there has got to be a sick joke somewhere in that situation but I can't think of one to laugh at.

VOTE!!! It does make a difference!!!!   If you can't think of someone to vote FOR then figure out who pisses you off the most and VOTE for the other one.  That to is democracy  and you get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside as you leave the voting booth.

My City (pop.750,000) has the same Mayor for nearly 30 years, she wins by acclimation,  no one runs against her; ergo no one votes for her or against her, she can't be that perfect,  yet do to apathy (non voteing) she looks that way.

VOTE to save your democracy;  otherwise in the near future the results will be  based on pollsters sampleing less then 1% of the population in order to influence the 10% who actually vote. This is NOT farfetched;  here in the Greater Toronto Area Most Municiple politician win with less then 20% voter turn out, and each year the numbers get smaller.

10  to  20% of the population sticking it to 80  to  90% of the population  doesn't sound like democracy to me,  apathy will screw you out of democracy faster then anything else. And the non voters will still bitch and complain about what they get stuck with,  I  just do not want to hear it,  so VOTE!!!!!!!!!!

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
soo, heres a link to the

soo, heres a link to the movie, i havent been able to watch it yet so idk weather its anygood, i probly wont get to it till thursday so if anyone else watchs it first please post thoughts!

www.slackeruprising.com/download

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like Moore's sentiments,

I like Moore's sentiments, even if his arguments are weak and he is a tad populist.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
ya his arguements are weak

ya his arguements are weak but i love to watch him. because its sooo rofl!!   I liked his movie, because i needed a laugh so Smiling !  I have to say that if anyone watchs his movie from this site they need to watch the section with the republicans that would seek into his rallies!  At one point a group of people for bush decieded to do the entire rosary while moore was on stage Smiling
Probly the best line in the movie is "... we'll still let you marry each other" at that time he was talking to some republicans in the crowd!
anyways it over all was pretty good.
he got alot of descent bands and celebrities to show up at the rallies as well.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Canada's election

This is a  *bump*   and nothing more then a *bump*  to align with Canadas  election results of Oct.14/08.