Church of England apoligies to Darwin

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Church of England apoligies to Darwin

http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,3111,Charles-Darwin-to-receive-apology-from-the-Church-of-England-for-rejecting-evolution,Telegraph

Also check out the right wing Daily Mail rags reaction to it  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1055597/Church-makes--8216-ludicrous-8217-apology-Charles-Darwin--126-years-death.html

Some quite interesting comments on this from both religious and atheist people. It's not particuarly new the 2 main stream European churches (Catholic and CofE) have accepted evolution for many decades and Darwin himself is buried in Westminster Abbey (2nd more important cathedral in the CofE I think).

There are quite a few rumours going around that Rowan Williams is actually an atheist with too much invested in his career. In his chat with Dawkins in his last tv show it looked like 2 atheists having a discussion Smiling

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The reason religion has to

The reason religion has to continually apologize for its atrosities is because it's followers do not understand basic human evolution. The fight or flight of the meme is a artifical representation to protect the group. Truth will always fall prey to superstition when humans more often than not will latch onto a placebo rather than face reality because the placebo keeps the people together.

The anceint Egyptians kept the placebo "Ra" for over 3,000 years. It kept the Pharos in power, but certainly it did not make Ra a real deity, and as a result anyone outside that popular, but false meme held by the Egyptians were considered enimies of the group.

That is what allows Bush to call bombing civilians "collateral damage" and what allows Bin Ladin to get others to slam planes into buildings.

It still sickens me today that people honor the genocidal president Andrew Jackson on our 20 dollar bill.

When humans lose superstition and face the reality that we are all the same species, the affect of dangerous lies being spread can be reduced and humanity will get along much better.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I liked the comment likeing

I liked the comment likeing it to Galileo. Don't christians notice the pattern that whenever a important discovery is made contary to their beliefs, they fight it only to apoligise a few hundred years later?

This is a good step, but regardless all the christians I know will continue to call evolution a lie with no evidence.

I also forsee there being alot more False Scotsmen around.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.