Thatcherism and Palinism. What do you Brits think?

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thatcherism and Palinism. What do you Brits think?

I recently read this article "This is Alaska's Margaret Thatcher"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4671671.ece

I have always disagreed with Thatcher's conservative politics but have always respected her as a leader as I similary do for British politicians on the Left. Yet I break out into uncontrolled laughter when comparisons are made between Sarah Palin and Margaret Thatcher.

Sarah Palin's hockey-mom, Christian fundamentalist, sexy librarian MILF appearing personae resonates with a large chunk of the deluded American public. It is a sign of the times when mediocrity is lauded in the US from a public wherein 20% believe that the sun revolves around the earth. There is absolutely nothing in common between Thatcher and Palin other than gender.

I see no evidence yet that Palin has enough neurons in her prayer ridden walnut sized brain that she can run a lemonade stand let alone shoulder the American economy should McCain pass away. What does she know about foreign policy? What does she know about healthcare? She is an empty headed moron. These are not adjectives I would apply to Margaret thatcher.

It is a grotesque insult to all you Brits by comparing Palin to Thatcher.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MILF? Que es "MILF"?

MILF? Que es "MILF"?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Mom I'd Like to Fuck. From

Mom I'd Like to Fuck. From the "American Pie" series of movies. Generally refers to an attractive older woman.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Humans just get wierder and

Humans just get wierder and wierder.

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Humans just

JillSwift wrote:

Humans just get wierder and wierder.

Then you definitely don't want to know what a GILF is...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
No, GUYS get weirder and

No, GUYS get weirder and weirder

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
That wentch isn't worth a

That wentch isn't worth a clever response, let alone a load of cum down her ugly lying throat. Go girl power, burn that witch ....

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd fuck her. Of course

I'd fuck her. Of course record it so it's a scandal and she doesn't get voted for! I'd be the slut in her scandal.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:No, GUYS

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No, GUYS get weirder and weirder

Hahaha. To you, clearly. Meanwhile, you get simpler and simpler. Not that hard to figure you out Pinapple, even though you keep insisting none of us "get" you.

You really should get out more.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleestack wrote:Then you

Sleestack wrote:

Then you definitely don't want to know what a GILF is...

I'll bite... (only because i dont feel like vaporizing my hard-drive after googling it)

What Would Kharn Do?

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I'm no great fan of Thatcher

I'm no great fan of Thatcher but she was a highly educated and intelligient chemist and political intellectual. She pretty much had  a political philosophy named after her (with a few other contributers) which is pretty rare for any politican.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:I'll

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I'll bite... (only because i dont feel like vaporizing my hard-drive after googling it)

Grandma I would Like to Fuck (And just in case, I know this from metalocalypse)

Also, GUYS = Guy U haven't Yet Sucked (from the top of my head)

So, anyway, who's Margaret Thatcher?

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion wrote:

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:
So, anyway, who's Margaret Thatcher?
The Primeminister of Great Britian in the 80's, and a strong conservative.

She's a good example that just because you are female it doesn't mean you are automatically more compasionate and touchy-feely, or whatever else you might naively expect.

Personally, I don't much like the idea that men are more agressive/selfish/ambitious than women, being a compasionate and sensitive guy myself, but I'll have to admit, on average, women and men gravitate towards different things, and while it is very naive, there is a certain logic to alot of people (women especially) getting excited about candidates like Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin, purely because they are women.

The rationalle would go: "in my experience, most women are more compassionate and compromise seeking than men, so a women top politician would not be as war-mongering, and more compassionate about helping the weakest people in society".

But this is still a wrong rationalle, because most women, doesn't mean all women, and there are always exceptions to the rule. Indeed, the kind of woman who is likely to be found in the male dominated world of top-politics is likely more aggresive/selfish/ambitious than your average woman, because that's how she got in that position.

Margaret Thatcher is a prime example of this.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:It is a

ragdish wrote:

It is a grotesque insult to all you Brits by comparing Palin to Thatcher. 

No, it's an insult to Margaret Thatcher, and therefore I'm happy.

I do agree that there are massive differences between Thatcher and Palin, but they're both staunch conservatives, both deeply religious, and both nutjobs, one of them screwed up a country, the other is likely to screw up a country. In that respect it's an apt comparison.  

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be honest, I get the

To be honest, I get the feeling Palin wouldn't have been as bad as Thatcher.
Palin has religious ignorance but I doubt she'd step on people economically like Thatcher did.
That said, I can see her focusing so much on driving religion down people's throat that she's happy to let her Republican sidekicks do what the hell they like elsewhere and they'd do enough trampling for everyone.

kostel25
kostel25's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, first of all, there is a

Ok, first of all, there is a vast difference between what passes for "conservative" in America and what is considered "conservative" in the UK.

Palin can maybe be compared to Ann Coulter, but, for god's sake, she's not even in the same league as Thatcher!

Thatcher, her personal morality aside, was a gutsy politician and did what had to be done in a difficult era of Arab oil embargos and recessions. Thatcher knew how the economy worked, knew what a business cycle was and believed that the national budget should be balanced. Contrary to popular belief, the Tories did not cut spending on the welfare state. I suspect that Palin wouldn't have a clue about such issues.

What's the difference between Texas and Saudi Arabia? In Texas they execute you for murder, in Saudi Arabia they excecute you for having a Xmass tree.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
thinking now about palin and

thinking now about palin and thatcher, i'm reminded of something comrade mao once said about richard nixon at the height of the ultra-leftist cultural revolution (i'm paraphrasing): "i like dealing with rightists.  rightists say what they mean, while leftists hide their true intentions."  just remember that when you go out and vote.  palin is saying EXACTLY what she means.

i also recall a line from a kris kristofferson song: "i don't care if that's left or right, it's wrong."

oh, and the changing face of europe and the world in the '80s had at least as much to do with gorbachev being spineless as with thatcher being "gutsy."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson