libertarian experience

carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
libertarian experience

Well I got in some discussions with libertarians and the libertarian party however it always alienated me because after encountering someone with a IQ heir then 100 their ridicules stories started to disprove themselves and we got a lot of libertarian contradictions.

Especially the libertarian “War On Science” is ultimately ridicules for me and is simply one of many self ridiculing statements . 

For someone like me who understands logic I might ask “If you are shown a contradiction , will you correct your reasoning ? ”.
My personal answer is “YES” because I’m not a brain washed individual.
 

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
I am having trouble

I am having trouble understanding what you have written. Are you saying that the libertarians contradict themselves and wage a war on science? What war on science are libertarians waging? How are their political stances contradictory?

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Social science? ....

Social science? .... Libertarian, while pointing to the left, is too broad a term to neatly summarize, a bit like anarchism. Hey, damn jerk McCain, trying to redifine the repubican party. Oh and the dumb people might just elect those two smiling lying devils. I am getting where nothing the public does surprizes me anymore. What a pathetic joke my America has become.


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:I am

Jormungander wrote:

I am having trouble understanding what you have written. Are you saying that the libertarians contradict themselves and wage a war on science? What war on science are libertarians waging? How are their political stances contradictory?

 

Well I have some little question for libertarians and always their responses are ether contradictory or ….

 

My question for libertarians is “If you are shown a contradiction , will you correct your reasoning ? ”

 

I simply would like to have a answer from the libertarians to the question.

 

And yes the more hard core libertarians will fight science if it contradicts their dogma , ask about theirs standpoint on currency and get ready to see like they deny the big bang and possibly imply a “Intelligent designer/creationism” (most often they ether don’t think about their words or don’t understand them). However thus can be extreme scenarios , maybe there are more moderate libertarians.

 

Most libertarians after logical analysis support state intervention , big government , government property while opposing private property and choice/freedom while claming the oposit. After some Q&A get ready for Orwellian double think to deny the contradictions.

 

Remember I’m ready to accept every political standpoint if its shown to be consistent and I would be glad to rethink libertarianism so before I post my question please my libertarians answer me this :

 

 “If you are shown a contradiction , will you correct your reasoning ? ”

 

PS:

 

 

I really don’t like debating a position asserting something about the opposite side. I prefer a Q&A with civil questions from me and I let the libertarian present his position and then using logic we can see the contradictions. That’s also why I have south a punch in debating I simply let the opposite side disprove themselves or I learn something interesting. Ether way I win Sticking out tongue.

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote: “If you

carx wrote:


 “If you are shown a contradiction , will you correct your reasoning ? ”

Yes, I would correct my stance on political positions if they were shown to be contradictory.  And I would not claim that the big bang or an intelligent designer had anything to do with our currency. I would really like to hear how someone took a currency discussion and got creationism involved in it.

 

carx wrote:

After some Q&A get ready for Orwellian double think to deny the contradictions.

I would like to see some of the questions. A civil Q&A session could let us all learn something.

 

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Libertarian, while pointing to the left

Libertarians are left wing? This is news to me. I thought that they were left wing on social issues (abortion rights, gay marriage, repealing drug laws) but right wing on economic issues (very low taxes, slash spending to welfare programs, free market). Though I do agree that libertarianism is very broad. I am certain that you could find libertarians who would take exception to every libertarian stance that I have mentioned above. I am actually a little sick of leftist and populists lying and claiming that they are libertarian when they expressly support large government programs, higher taxes, anti-globalization and income redistribution. Though we also have right wingers who love the free market, but hate gay rights and a woman's right to choose. For some reason people seem to think that being either for free markets or for lax social restrictions makes them libertarian. I disagree, those people are progressives or conservatives. If you are both for lax social restrictions and free markets (and for that matter a shrinking of the government in all practical ways) then I consider you to be a libertarian. I don't mean to use a no true scottsman fallacy here. I just think some people need to admit that they are not libertarian, they love big government and are just a big government loving progressive or a big government loving conservative.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Like I said,  Libertarian

Like I said,  Libertarian says what ???? and seems to slant left, as the right says what? Okay I admit it , I have always thought the L's were slanted left. Yeah, but WTF fuck is left, right ???? Can we all just be god now? , nope , not this day , obviously .... 


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:carx

Jormungander wrote:

carx wrote:


 “If you are shown a contradiction , will you correct your reasoning ? ”

Yes, I would correct my stance on political positions if they were shown to be contradictory. 

 

Thank you. I deduce that you are a libertarian then.

Jormungander wrote:

 I would really like to hear how someone took a currency discussion and got creationism involved in it.

 

The answer is quite simple the libertarian/free market  advocates argue for a gold currency because “you can not produce gold therefore no inflation”. Now I point out some possibilities to inflate the gold currency and one of them is nuclear fusion (you can make gold from air using fusion with the write technology).

Now the libertarian ignore my other points like asteroid mining or market scenarios to manipulate the price of gold and accuse me of being a alchemist and using the philosophers stone.

I Explain that nuclear fusion is essential to creating other elements in the big bang theory.

This gets ignored and “U don’t understand science “ is thrown at me.

I explain that they are in fact using creationist tactics because creationists argue agents “ Chemical evolution/fusion ” I give some videos of creationists making this statement and getting owned.

Libertarians still think I’m a alchemist and modern science is alchemy because it contradicts their dogma (you can make a parable between creationism and them here), I ask if their believe in a “intelligent gold designer” because gold is “irreducibly complex” to be created via fusion and to give me the explanation how else gold and the other elements got here if not via fusion after the big bang(there is always the possibility they are creationists for real)

.

 

And I get no answers about this or any explanation how our universe could form the big bang if fusion and most of nuclear physics is wrong , and I get no answer.

 

Remember I’m not postulating a  gold mass production , they simply challenge scientific text book knowledge about fusion.

 

Jormungander wrote:
 

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Libertarian, while pointing to the left

Libertarians are left wing? This is news to me. I thought that they were left wing on social issues (abortion rights, gay marriage, repealing drug laws) but right wing on economic issues (very low taxes, slash spending to welfare programs, free market). Though I do agree that libertarianism is very broad. I am certain that you could find libertarians who would take exception to every libertarian stance that I have mentioned above. I am actually a little sick of leftist and populists lying and claiming that they are libertarian when they expressly support large government programs, higher taxes, anti-globalization and income redistribution. Though we also have right wingers who love the free market, but hate gay rights and a woman's right to choose. For some reason people seem to think that being either for free markets or for lax social restrictions makes them libertarian. I disagree, those people are progressives or conservatives. If you are both for lax social restrictions and free markets (and for that matter a shrinking of the government in all practical ways) then I consider you to be a libertarian. I don't mean to use a no true scottsman fallacy here. I just think some people need to admit that they are not libertarian, they love big government and are just a big government loving progressive or a big government loving conservative.

 

I don’t use the I one or 2 dimensional scales for determining political views , I use a flag system because there are many potential political views not matching a 1D, 2D , 3D or 4D distinction.

I use flags like “supports free market” ,  “for abortion” , “progressive tax supporter”. The many paradoxes arising of use of a simple scale simply disprove the concept of left , right , down , up in politics.  

 

 

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
I think you have been

I think you have been misinformed about what a Libertarian is. I mean no insult, but I suggest you look the term up. The fact of the matter is that Libertarianism is simply a political stance. It has nothing to do with religion or science in and of itself. Suggesting Libertarians call you an alchemist is equivalent to suggesting the same of Liberals and Conservatives. They're all simply political positions, nothing more.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I think you

Vastet wrote:

I think you have been misinformed about what a Libertarian is. I mean no insult, but I suggest you look the term up. The fact of the matter is that Libertarianism is simply a political stance. It has nothing to do with religion or science in and of itself. Suggesting Libertarians call you an alchemist is equivalent to suggesting the same of Liberals and Conservatives. They're all simply political positions, nothing more.

 

Yes however the libertarians have their political program and ideas. If something contradicts their ideas (nuclear fusion) they start denying this and this is a source of the “libertarian war on science” you can be a libertarian and a creationist there is no contradiction in this.

 

Its not a strong point agents libertarianism (it simply shows that the more strong believers in libertarianism will fight facts that contradict their world view ) and not part of my questions I simply added this to explain why I needed a confirmation that if shown wrong my opposite side will stop holding a wrong position and because I got asked how a libertarian discussion ended in them denying the big bang.

 

I’m opposed to doctrinal thinking in terms of I’m a libertarian or I’m a member of the fishiest party. Political parties have their dogma and if your combination of ideas is no represented you are going to make compromises. Now lets take 3 positions with a binary answer Y/N that gives us 8 possible parties with not repeating programs if we increase the number of choices to 4 we get 16 if to 5 we get 32 if to 6 we get 64 if to 7 we get 128 if to 8  we get 256.

So it is not possible practically to have a excellent party if they need to make a Y/N stand on 7 points and above . So every time something gets compromised in the choice of a political party.  I propose a democratic-technocracy the decision making is given to voters instead to political parties and people simply get a list with 8 Y/N choices on a card for example.

 

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:Vastet wrote:I

carx wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I think you have been misinformed about what a Libertarian is. I mean no insult, but I suggest you look the term up. The fact of the matter is that Libertarianism is simply a political stance. It has nothing to do with religion or science in and of itself. Suggesting Libertarians call you an alchemist is equivalent to suggesting the same of Liberals and Conservatives. They're all simply political positions, nothing more.

Yes however the libertarians have their political program and ideas. If something contradicts their ideas (nuclear fusion) they start denying this and this is a source of the “libertarian war on science” you can be a libertarian and a creationist there is no contradiction in this.

 

Maybe you can explain to me what the differences are between a Libertarian Christian, a Conservative Christian, and a Liberal Christian? 

 

carx wrote:
Its not a strong point agents libertarianism (it simply shows that the more strong believers in libertarianism will fight facts that contradict their world view ) and not part of my questions I simply added this to explain why I needed a confirmation that if shown wrong my opposite side will stop holding a wrong position and because I got asked how a libertarian discussion ended in them denying the big bang.

 

I’m opposed to doctrinal thinking in terms of I’m a libertarian or I’m a member of the fishiest party. Political parties have their dogma and if your combination of ideas is no represented you are going to make compromises. Now lets take 3 positions with a binary answer Y/N that gives us 8 possible parties with not repeating programs if we increase the number of choices to 4 we get 16 if to 5 we get 32 if to 6 we get 64 if to 7 we get 128 if to 8  we get 256.

So it is not possible practically to have a excellent party if they need to make a Y/N stand on 7 points and above . So every time something gets compromised in the choice of a political party.  I propose a democratic-technocracy the low making is given to voters instead to political parties and people simply get a list with 8 Y/N choices on a card for example.

 

Maybe it will help if I tell you that my confusion is in isolating Libertarians in your criticism, when any political party or affiliation can be blamed for the same things.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Maybe it will

Vastet wrote:

Maybe it will help if I tell you that my confusion is in isolating Libertarians in your criticism, when any political party or affiliation can be blamed for the same things.

 

I have not criticized libertarians in my post !

I have criticized doctrinal thinking and thinking in terms of “our party” and “their party”.

 

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:Vastet

carx wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Maybe it will help if I tell you that my confusion is in isolating Libertarians in your criticism, when any political party or affiliation can be blamed for the same things.

 

I have not criticized libertarians in my post !

I have criticized doctrinal thinking and thinking in terms of “our party” and “their party”.

 

Hmm...

"Especially the libertarian “War On Science” is ultimately ridicules for me and is simply one of many self ridiculing statements . "

That is a direct criticism of Libertarianism with a strawman fallacy wrapped in to boot.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:

Hmm...

"Especially the libertarian “War On Science” is ultimately ridicules for me and is simply one of many self ridiculing statements . "

That is a direct criticism of Libertarianism with a strawman fallacy wrapped in to boot.

 

Na note the words  “for me” it signalizes subjectivity.

 

 

Ok maybe I generalized libertarians however I did this because of my frustration if I did I’m sorry not my intension .

 

 

I can start a libertarian VS me discussion however I would preferred that some libertarian starts summarizing his/her believes and then I start giving questions to them , every thing else is so rude.

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm not a good choice

Well, I'm not a good choice since I'm opposed to Libertarianism. Sticking out tongue

I suspect most of my confusion is in the fact that you're perfecting your understanding of english.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Well, I'm not a

Vastet wrote:

Well, I'm not a good choice since I'm opposed to Libertarianism. Sticking out tongue

I suspect most of my confusion is in the fact that you're perfecting your understanding of english.

 

no problem maybe Yellow Number Five will show up or I will be forced to start the debate with my self using quotes from other libertarians.

 

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:The answer is

carx wrote:

The answer is quite simple the libertarian/free market  advocates argue for a gold currency because “you can not produce gold therefore no inflation”. Now I point out some possibilities to inflate the gold currency and one of them is nuclear fusion (you can make gold from air using fusion with the write technology).

Now the libertarian ignore my other points like asteroid mining or market scenarios to manipulate the price of gold and accuse me of being a alchemist and using the philosophers stone.

I Explain that nuclear fusion is essential to creating other elements in the big bang theory.

This gets ignored and “U don’t understand science “ is thrown at me.

I explain that they are in fact using creationist tactics because creationists argue agents “ Chemical evolution/fusion ” I give some videos of creationists making this statement and getting owned.

Libertarians still think I’m a alchemist and modern science is alchemy because it contradicts their dogma (you can make a parable between creationism and them here), I ask if their believe in a “intelligent gold designer” because gold is “irreducibly complex” to be created via fusion and to give me the explanation how else gold and the other elements got here if not via fusion after the big bang(there is always the possibility they are creationists for real)

.

 

And I get no answers about this or any explanation how our universe could form the big bang if fusion and most of nuclear physics is wrong , and I get no answer.

 

Remember I’m not postulating a  gold mass production , they simply challenge scientific text book knowledge about fusion.

It is possible to convert other elements into gold by bombarding them with protons. But if you do that you are making gold one atom at a time. That process costs more than the gold itself, so we need not worry about that making too much gold. Perhaps asteroids do have gold in them. It would be too expensive to mine it. We are mining for gold on the earth to increase the amount available. There is no need to use fusion or outer space to get more gold. Also: if you are not postulating mass production, then this whole topic is irrelevant to currency. The only way gold production could matter to currency is if it was produced on massive scales.

Another thing is that a healthy free market should have a little inflation. Too high or too low is bad, but a little bit is ok. I am a libertarian and I am against market manipulations such as using a gold standard. We abandoned the gold standard for a reason: it just wasn't working out for us.

 

carx wrote:

I don’t use the I one or 2 dimensional scales for determining political views , I use a flag system because there are many potential political views not matching a 1D, 2D , 3D or 4D distinction.

I use flags like “supports free market” ,  “for abortion” , “progressive tax supporter”. The many paradoxes arising of use of a simple scale simply disprove the concept of left , right , down , up in politics. 

The one dimensional left vs right scale is thoroughly broken. 2D scales are pretty nice. I like the ones that place social issues on one axis and economic issues on another. Placing someone on such a scale will not give you a total view on their political stances, but it will give you a good general idea. Your method of looking at things issue by issue is pretty good. Also: it is not "for abortion" it is "for a woman's right to safely and legally choose whether or not she wants an abortion."

 

carx wrote:

If something contradicts their ideas (nuclear fusion) they start denying this and this is a source of the “libertarian war on science”

Nuclear fusion does not contradict any libertarian political positions. Us libertarians get it that the sun runs on nuclear fusion. We get it that scientists can produce nuclear fusion. We even get it that nuclear fusion could be used to make gold. In fact all of our gold was made from nuclear fusion in a star.

 

carx wrote:

Political parties have their dogma and if your combination of ideas is no represented you are going to make compromises.

Yes, no political party will have all of your political stances. So if you want a party then you will have to just join the one most similar to your political stances.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote: Nuclear

Jormungander wrote:

 

Nuclear fusion does not contradict any libertarian political positions. Us libertarians get it that the sun runs on nuclear fusion. We get it that scientists can produce nuclear fusion. We even get it that nuclear fusion could be used to make gold. In fact all of our gold was made from nuclear fusion in a star.

 

 

Is being creationist contradictory to libertarian philosophy ? I think you are making a sweeping generalization  libertarianism holds multiple flags of opinion on multiple topics however accepting or denying  creationism is not one of them.

 

Jormungander wrote:

Yes, no political party will have all of your political stances. So if you want a party then you will have to just join the one most similar to your political stances.

Na I create my own political party the “democratic-technocracy party” I have only one goal the abandonment of the party political system and giving direct decision making to people so every diverse viewpoint will be possible to express instead of electing dictator power hungry politicians so that they will “vote for you” however this is off topic.

 

Ok here I start my debate using a quote from libertarians because I didn’t get the statement of believes from you (I hope you are not angry about this).

 

Libertarian viewpoint : The state oppresses you/me/us.

Answer : No the states is completely voluntary and uses voluntary taxation and voluntary low making. This premise is wrong because it assumes a blind contradiction there is no state there are states and you are free to move beyond the borders of one state and get into  another that dos not require you to do thing X. Because one state can not enforce its powers beyond its borders its decision making is limited to its borders oppression is not possible you are voluntarily choosing a state like you chose a restaurant you can simply walk away to a different state or to a “libertarian paradise” that a libertarian source is presenting for a utopia

http://mises.org/story/2066

I’m surprised that the author of this article dident moved to this startles paradise since he endorses its politics. However this side is field with people who are maybe not representative of your views and I’m simply debating a libertarian quote.

 

Please define state , private person , private property , government , government property your stand on thus things so we can start the debate in a civil questioning from me fashion feel free to correct me on my simulated discussion because I can not possibly know if it is your position.  

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


kostel25
kostel25's picture
Posts: 39
Joined: 2008-09-04
User is offlineOffline
As others, I would suggest

As others, I would suggest you first try to define or learn more about libertarianism. It's actually not a bad philisophy. Small government, free markets, reliance on institutions of civil society, right to own property (most of the time), emphesis on individual liberties etc.

However it's not as simple as that as there are various branches of libertarians. There are more left-wing libertarians which are for income redistribution and preservation of natural resources and more conservative ones who would not list those as primary concerns. there are anarchist libertarians who wish to see the state reduced very susbstantianlly, progressive libertarians, socialist lebrarians. One thing they have in common is the philosophy that individuals are the primary concern, not the states, and most fractions strongly favor economical freedom to free markats and trade. Atheism and libertarianism are not at odds. Libertarianism is NOT what passes as "conservatism" in America. Libertarians wouldn't give a damn if you happen to believe in the Sky Daddy or not.

What's the difference between Texas and Saudi Arabia? In Texas they execute you for murder, in Saudi Arabia they excecute you for having a Xmass tree.


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:the states is

carx wrote:

the states is completely voluntary and uses voluntary taxation and voluntary low making.

Voluntary taxation? Which state has voluntary taxation? I want to live in that state. My state has a mandatory taxation system. In fact, every state that I can think of runs a mandatory taxation system. Pay up or go to prison. So I can be raped in prison, or I can pay taxes. Not quite what I would call "voluntary." That and I would not even want a voluntary tax system. I would like as low of a tax as possible, but that doesn't mean that I want no taxes at all. It is when my taxes are squandered (war on drugs, war in Iraq, political pork, etc.) that I get mad.

 

carx wrote:

Please define state , private person , private property , government , government property your stand on thus things

What do you mean by "your stand on thus things?" I'm not too sure but I'll try to answer that:

Private property: I think that people should have strong property rights. For example: I despise eminent domain abuses. We have a bit of a problem with that in California. I also think that what I do on my property is no one else's f*cking business (unless I am harming others, then it is other people's business). Leave me alone on my property and I will leave you alone on yours.

Government: I want a small government. I would like to have fewer bureaucracies and have less funding for each one. I would like for the DEA and ATF to be shut down. I would also like more government transparency. Secret courts giving out secret search warrants is unacceptable. I am not an anarchist, I think that with no government at all some other governing body would rise in its place. I don't want to find out what kind of group would seize control if there was no government.

Government property: I will differ from some libertarians on this issue, but I don't mind the government having lots of property. Government run forests and nature preserves are a blessing to us all. And there is also some land that literally no one wants (parts of Nevada especially) that is held by the government by default. I am not against that.

Private person: I am not sure what this means. If you mean I want the government to respect the privacy of others than yes. Do what ever you want in private so long as you do not infringe on the rights of others. And I do mean whatever you want: drug use, homosexuality, prostitution, pornography, etc. If you and your informed, consenting and adult friends want to do something in private together that does not infringe on the rights of others, the government should leave you alone.

 

carx wrote:

Libertarian viewpoint : The state oppresses you/me/us.

...

Because one state can not enforce its powers beyond its borders its decision making is limited to its borders oppression is not possible you are voluntarily choosing a state like you chose a restaurant you can simply walk away to a different state

If my state was oppressing me I would not move away unless I thought that my life was in danger. I would rather fix the state I am in rather than abandon it to its problems. Also I am calling false analogy on the restaurant. The ease at which you can choose a new restaurant is not comparable to the difficulty of leaving your homeland and starting a new life in a different culture.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


Adnihilo
Adnihilo's picture
Posts: 72
Joined: 2006-09-07
User is offlineOffline
Distinguish Authoritarian from Libertarian then Left vs Right

carx wrote:

Maybe you can explain to me what the differences are between a Libertarian Christian, a Conservative Christian, and a Liberal Christian?

First you might want to be more concerned with understanding the general difference between a right or left 'libertarian' and a right or left authoritarian. Libertarian in and of itself really only refers to a preferable state of less governmental control over citizens [as opposed to a right authoritarian state of government rule - what we now have in the US]. The common definition of Libertarianism you'll find in the dictionary is simply "An ideological belief in freedom of thought and speech" that relates solely to the social context of government CONTROL.

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Libertarian, while pointing to the left

Jormungander wrote:
Libertarians are left wing? This is news to me. I thought that they were left wing on social issues (abortion rights, gay marriage, repealing drug laws) but right wing on economic issues (very low taxes, slash spending to welfare programs, free market). Though I do agree that libertarianism is very broad.

Libertarian in the general sense refers only to the 'social context' of government control over its citizens, not the economic. You don't get into an economic context of libertarian until you differentiate between 'left' [original European libertarian anarchist] Libertarians and 'right' [America's Neo-Libertarian Party of Social Darwinists] Libertarians.

Many, if not most here don't seem to be able to distinguish, or don't want to distinguish between the economic left form of Libertarian [originating from Europe] and the economic right type of libertarian evidenced in America's Libertarian Party [NeoLibertarians]. Most here still don't seem to comprehend that 'libertarian' in a general sense [ due to the US Neolibertarians hijacking the term libertarian from the European anarchist left] alone reflects only the social context of governmental control - from wanting less of it and in direct opposition to what we have almost have globally now from representation by authoritarian levels of control evidenced by most of the world's governments.

Again, for an effective visual way to comprehend this political reallity in the world going beyond age old simplistic and now useless views of the political landscape in terms of only its economic 'left and right', I suggest you all read the analysis and take a look at the accompanying charts HERE

If there was a God, Man wouldn't have had to invent him [reversing Voltaire's famous quote].


Adnihilo
Adnihilo's picture
Posts: 72
Joined: 2006-09-07
User is offlineOffline
Libera Left l Libertarian vs Neo Right Libertarian

kostel25 wrote:
As others, I would suggest you first try to define or learn more about libertarianism. It's actually not a bad philisophy. Small government, free markets, reliance on institutions of civil society, right to own property (most of the time), emphesis on individual liberties etc.

You're of course predominantly citing a right or Neo Libertarian platform along with a generalized libertarian platform [left or right] in that above paragraph... Cheers to you though for citing all the various types of libertarians that first need to be distinguished from rather than all these generalized opinions about Libertarians as whole seen here [not you Kostel] that really depends on the left or right 'type' of Libertarianism they're talking about...

kostel25 wrote:

Atheism and libertarianism are not at odds. Libertarianism is NOT what passes as "conservatism" in America.

The Anti-Secularist Evangelical and self-proclaimed Texan [Neo] Libertarian Ron Paul would beg to differ;-] 

kostel25 wrote:
Libertarians wouldn't give a damn if you happen to believe in the Sky Daddy or not.

Again not according to the self proclaimed Libertarian Ron Paul who for all intensive purposes is not a right wing Neo Libertarian according to his voting record, speeches, platform.  Pre Goldwater 'conservatives' were about as right wing Libertarian as Ron Paul. Generally the American right or Neo Libertarian Party doesn't care if you want to worship an imaginary Sky God or not, but they at least, along with so called 'conservatives' do worship Ayn Rand and her 'virtue of selfishness' and will want the same out of the nation's citizens;-]

If there was a God, Man wouldn't have had to invent him [reversing Voltaire's famous quote].


carx
carx's picture
Posts: 247
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Adnihilo wrote:carx

Adnihilo wrote:

carx wrote:

Maybe you can explain to me what the differences are between a Libertarian Christian, a Conservative Christian, and a Liberal Christian?

First you might want to be more concerned with understanding the general difference between

 

Sir  I accuse you of falls quoting ! This quote is not from me ! Its from Vastet ! Correct your error of quotation sir. A quick Ctrl + C crtl + F Ctrl + V enter will show that I have never posted what you are quoting.

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
And my comments were taken

And my comments were taken out of context, so I'll not bother to address the response to them.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.