Biology - 'Ghost in Your Genes' - 48 min - PBS

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Biology - 'Ghost in Your Genes' - 48 min - PBS

Saw this and thought it worth sharing ... not what you probably think. Your personal childhood environment, bad luck, vises .... may or may not effect your kids, but very well may effect your great grand kids and theirs .... The last 15 mins is more to the point.

"Ghost In Your Genes" - 48 mins PBS  ....also in Youtube

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Ghost+in+your+genes&hl=en&emb=0&aq=-1&oq=#

Nova - The Ghost In Your Genes 6/6  - last 10 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCrlJxR3WtU

See "More info" at upper right in Youtube.

WE ARE GOD(S) ! .... no excuses, no sky daddies .... ahhh shucks.   

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
 thanks GOD

thanks GOD err...ME...umm...I.A.G.A.Y.

Anyway, the subtitle is "Experts investigate how a mysterious 'second genome' helps determine our biological fates."

That might generate more interest.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate how they overstate

I hate how they overstate the case for epigenetics in the title and subtitle. Ghosts? Second genome? Ridiculous. There's nothing ghostlike about regulatory factors, and the so-called genome is not stable enough to evolve on its own, and so does not deserve the elevation to the name 'genome'.

Epigenetic inheritance is most interesting when looking at developmental biology, from single-cell to fully grown adult. The fact that this mechanism is essentially reset when producing new offspring shows that it is not really a great mechanism for inheriting advantages from one generation to the next. Intergenerational epigenetic inheritance seems to me more like a deleterious side-effect of developmental regulation, rather than being a primary mechanism.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah yeah, getting past the

Yeah yeah, getting past the public directed attention grabbing "ghost" title, I posted this hoping DG and you science folks might add some clarity to the claims suggested. I'd never heard this / these paticular idea(s) of herity cause and effect possibilities. Heck I can't, won't go reseaching everything that comes my way. So what's the truth, if known, beyond speculation? The last 20 mins is yes, no, maybe, or ???