It works for me!

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-08-31
User is onlineOnline
It works for me!

 

Faith in Jesus works for me - it's exciting.  I love the Bible and believe all of it - though there is mystery.  There is mystery everywhere though, right?  I am a incredibly happy believer in Jesus.  I'm not a theologian, I just believe in Jesus.

I understand you can't make anybody believe in Jesus and the Bible, and I don't personally try to do that.  But I highly recommend it from my experience with it.  I can't get enough of the Bible or Jesus.  I can't imagine trying to navigate through life without it at this point in my life. 

I don't think Jesus or God is a thing you can prove to somebody.  I heard about it a large percentage of my life and it didn't mean anything to me until a certain point - then that all changed. 

So do you guys think that I'm fooling myself, not really happy, you don't believe me, or do you really think I can't be as happy or enlightened as you - are you evangelistic in that sense or what?  What is the purpose of this site?   Do you have something better to offer?  If so, what is your gospel? 

 


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
First, fonzie, I want to

First, fonzie, I want to clarify that any reference to the Christian god is hypothetical and I'm speaking about a fictional character.

Fonzie wrote:

Sandy,

I have no doubts whatsoever that the God Who sent His Son to die for my sin is doing everything exactly right even though what is seen on the surface can be confusing. 

I'm sure you do believe that. What I can't understand is why you are confused.

Quote:
 God's love shown in the cross is the guarantee of all guarantees - the promise of all promises. 
You are trusting in something that never happened. You might as well be worshiping Glenda the good witch for teaching us 'There's no place like home.'

Quote:
 It's like flying by instruments - if you go by what you "feel" when there's no visibility what you "feel" won't be what the instruments are telling you.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding". 
 In other words, what religion promotes is:  'Ignore the facts of reality and what you see and believe in a myth and what you can't see'. You really are confused, aren't you?

 

Quote:
You can't even cut a precise fit board by "feel" - how can you run your life by feel? 
  If you want something done right, you follow a recipe, a procedure or a technique that has been proven to work. What you don't do is close your eyes, say a prayer and 'believe' that an invisible being will do it for you. That's running your life based on a 'feeling'. Btw, I don't need a yardstick to accurately cut a yard of fabric... and I don't need a recipe to make a batch of pancakes - practice makes perfect, not a hope and a prayer.

 

Quote:
Seen rightly everything done by God is right.
God does nothing.

Quote:
Running the weather or understanding why everything that happens in the universe happens isn't my job - or yours. 
No, that is the work of people know as 'scientists' who report their findings to the general public. People like you choose to ignore the facts and therefor, are confused about why things happen. There is always a reasonable explanation for why things happen... if you bother to investigae instead of throwing your hands in the air and asking, 'Oh Why God?' God won't answer you... as you have already proven with you Job story.

Quote:
 I've gone through some disasters and had hope, prayed, and see good that has come from it.
And what about those who were in similar situations and were killed or saw disaster as a result of their prayers?  Prayer is a joke...if your prayer (what you want) is answered (you get what You want while someone else suffers), goody for god. If not, Oh well, it just wasn't in gods plan.

Quote:
  Sure, I try to avoid disaster by design - not being at "Babe's Tavern" at 3 AM for example (after reading about several incidents it would seem logical). 
This is called common sense, no mystery about it.

 

Quote:
But you may be prepared for the tornado disaster then be in a traffic disaster.  You can't make the world risk free - not even with all the logic and understanding you can gather.
No, the world is not risk-free but, many disasters can be avoided using common sense and precautions... like having a storm cellar in case of a tornado and wearing a seat belt when driving in traffic. But, no matter what you do, you're gonna die sooner or later anyway and be worm food.

Quote:
The security I'm talking about is spiritual security.  Your spiritual house will withstand even the "last storm" - the storm of death - if it is built on the foundation of the Rock, which is Jesus.  Job's spiritual house stood against not only the physical storms but the spiritual assault of "why"?  Also it withstood the assault of "unbelief" accusing God.  There is an inner and outer fight going on even now.  What hope do you have to offer those going through the tornado disaster for the inner fight?  It seems like your answer is "be prepared for everything".  Is that logic and reality?  If so that's an imaginary doctrine. 
'Imaginary Doctrine', eh? I suppose that's why there are such things as building codes, safety inspectors, FEMA, the Red Cross and all the thousands of REAL people and agencies who plan and are prepared for all sorts of disasters? Yeah right, those people are imaginary and your god - who is given credit for murdering inocent men, women and children by 'running the weather' is real.

 

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Well played, Sandy. Fonzie

Well played, Sandy. Fonzie seems to prefer preparing for nothing to preparing for anything.

Fonzie, if one doesn't prepare for the unexpected the unexpected will overwhelm you unexpectedly.

On a happier note, my university is staging "The Three Musketeers" next semester.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:  

Sandycane wrote:

 

 

'Imaginary Doctrine', eh? I suppose that's why there are such things as building codes, safety inspectors, FEMA, the Red Cross and all the thousands of REAL people and agencies who plan and are prepared for all sorts of disasters? Yeah right, those people are imaginary and your god - who is given credit for murdering inocent men, women and children by 'running the weather' is real.

 

It all goes back to that detachment thing I was talking about. A god, whom you have to imagine in your head, is more "real" than any people who live love and suffer. It's a self imposed illness this "detachment" and religion propogates it. They never consider that "their" god is in their own head. They do think about other people who also believe but theirs is always "special" and "personal". I must report that this detachment seems to be serving a common goal with the media (for example) when a person cares more about britney spears's hairdoo, or with their personal jesus than they do about kids starving in the streets, it serves an ill purpose.

I believe detachment is a good term for the overall state of things and has been since the beginning when one tribe attacked another for worshipping the wrong gods (just an example). If everyone realized how precious life really is then would war and killing still be rampant? It is rampant with this mass detachment religion brings to the table.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:On a happier

jcgadfly wrote:

On a happier note, my university is staging "The Three Musketeers" next semester.

Will there be live swordfighting ?

Used to be a standard acting skill, swordfighting.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:jcgadfly

Anonymouse wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

On a happier note, my university is staging "The Three Musketeers" next semester.

Will there be live swordfighting ?

Used to be a standard acting skill, swordfighting.

Indeed - our fight master is going to be giving special training to those cast to wield weapons.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Anonymouse

jcgadfly wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

On a happier note, my university is staging "The Three Musketeers" next semester.

Will there be live swordfighting ?

Used to be a standard acting skill, swordfighting.

Indeed - our fight master is going to be giving special training to those cast to wield weapons.

I have several swords, I reckon I would just need a fancy hat with a big feather to play a musketeer.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:jcgadfly

robj101 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

On a happier note, my university is staging "The Three Musketeers" next semester.

Will there be live swordfighting ?

Used to be a standard acting skill, swordfighting.

Indeed - our fight master is going to be giving special training to those cast to wield weapons.

I have several swords, I reckon I would just need a fancy hat with a big feather to play a musketeer.

... ah, but to actually be a Musketeer, one only needs a good cause, good comrades... and the appropriate avatar!

I'm still Athos, incognito. 

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:It all goes

robj101 wrote:

It all goes back to that detachment thing I was talking about. A god, whom you have to imagine in your head, is more "real" than any people who live love and suffer. It's a self imposed illness this "detachment" and religion propogates it. They never consider that "their" god is in their own head. They do think about other people who also believe but theirs is always "special" and "personal". I must report that this detachment seems to be serving a common goal with the media (for example) when a person cares more about britney spears's hairdoo, or with their personal jesus than they do about kids starving in the streets, it serves an ill purpose.

I believe detachment is a good term for the overall state of things and has been since the beginning when one tribe attacked another for worshipping the wrong gods (just an example). If everyone realized how precious life really is then would war and killing still be rampant? It is rampant with this mass detachment religion brings to the table.

True.

Have you noticed how every time a Christian organization 'helps' when a disaster strikes they always dish out a heaping portion of prayer and sermons along with their offerings of food and clothing? And say things like, No, we can't know what purpose god has for us'. 'We don't know why things happen but, you can trust in god that it is all part of his plan.' 'Tragedy strikes because god is testing our faith.' Horse pookey.

Hell, even fonzie said as much when he asked 'what about their spiritual needs'? (or words to that effect)

Christians, Muslims and Jews feed off of war, poverty and despair. They know that without these nasty things religion would have absolutely nothing to offer.

I've seen it first hand. When I was an alcoholic and struggling, several of my christian neighbors gave me odd jobs and tried to coax me to go to their church with them, which I never did. Now that I am doing well - without their god or churches or, handouts - they snub their noses at me. I'd bet a $ every one of them is saying, 'You just wait and see, she'll take a dive again.' They are drooling for the day. but, at the same time, they have tragedy hit them broadside and think it is hunky dorey because it's gods will.

They just can't comprehend someone fixing their own problems and living a good life without the god crutch.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:robj101

Sandycane wrote:

robj101 wrote:

It all goes back to that detachment thing I was talking about. A god, whom you have to imagine in your head, is more "real" than any people who live love and suffer. It's a self imposed illness this "detachment" and religion propogates it. They never consider that "their" god is in their own head. They do think about other people who also believe but theirs is always "special" and "personal". I must report that this detachment seems to be serving a common goal with the media (for example) when a person cares more about britney spears's hairdoo, or with their personal jesus than they do about kids starving in the streets, it serves an ill purpose.

I believe detachment is a good term for the overall state of things and has been since the beginning when one tribe attacked another for worshipping the wrong gods (just an example). If everyone realized how precious life really is then would war and killing still be rampant? It is rampant with this mass detachment religion brings to the table.

True.

Have you noticed how every time a Christian organization 'helps' when a disaster strikes they always dish out a heaping portion of prayer and sermons along with their offerings of food and clothing? And say things like, No, we can't know what purpose god has for us'. 'We don't know why things happen but, you can trust in god that it is all part of his plan.' 'Tragedy strikes because god is testing our faith.' Horse pookey.

Hell, even fonzie said as much when he asked 'what about their spiritual needs'? (or words to that effect)

Christians, Muslims and Jews feed off of war, poverty and despair. They know that without these nasty things religion would have absolutely nothing to offer.

I've seen it first hand. When I was an alcoholic and struggling, several of my christian neighbors gave me odd jobs and tried to coax me to go to their church with them, which I never did. Now that I am doing well - without their god or churches or, handouts - they snub their noses at me. I'd bet a $ every one of them is saying, 'You just wait and see, she'll take a dive again.' They are drooling for the day. but, at the same time, they have tragedy hit them broadside and think it is hunky dorey because it's gods will.

They just can't comprehend someone fixing their own problems and living a good life without the god crutch.

I ended up at a crisis center for a few days in my wild youth. They expected you to go to church and provided transportation for it. Yet you were to look for a job and more permanent residence on foot.

They all know what people really need as they hand it out with the "gospel". It's like offering something that has debt attached to it in their eyes, yes they are very often that blatant. Don't be fooled, they are not nice people. Real charity is when someone does not expect anything in return.

 

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I ended up at

robj101 wrote:

I ended up at a crisis center for a few days in my wild youth. They expected you to go to church and provided transportation for it. Yet you were to look for a job and more permanent residence on foot.

They all know what people really need as they hand it out with the "gospel". It's like offering something that has debt attached to it in their eyes, yes they are very often that blatant. Don't be fooled, they are not nice people. Real charity is when someone does not expect anything in return.

 

 

Exactly! I think we've just cut through to the heart of what Christianity is all about and why it has existed for so long: coercion.

 co·erced, co·erc·ing, co·erc·es

1. To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.2. To dominate, restrain, or control forcibly:3. To bring about by force or threat: 

This especially applies to the Christian god/Jesus... if you don't think in this 'certain way' you are threatened by Christians to  eternal hellfire where this god will force you to go. Nice guy, this god.

As you said, if this god were actually a loving god who cared for his creations, he would have a place for every single one of us in an eternal paradise - no strings attached.

But, no. This god says, 'You will believe in me, even though I offer no proof that I actually exist other than a book which demonstrates that I am a vengeful, hateful, sadistic, murdering being or, I will make you roast for all eternity.'

Pretty big string attached to that one.

How fucking hard would it be, if there actually were a god who had the ability to communicate with his creation, to say, 'Hey guys! Love ya man! Can't wait to spend eternity with you!'

That's all it would take to convince me... and everyone else I'm sure. 'Hey God! Love your work! Looking forward to spending some quality time with you, too!'

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1266
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
severalth + 22± µ3

It pains me to see that some of you are still trying to converse with a nonexistent Fonzie.  

I will not believe Fonzie has truly returned until he replies to this question:

Quote:
Did you create the "what faith you" thread? That would be the thread titled "what faith you"; created by the user named "mephibosheth" on September 6, 2007 - 5:57pm, and which can be found here.

 

 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-08-31
User is onlineOnline
PABST BLUE RIBBON (PBR) - "LOVE"

Sandycane wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I ended up at a crisis center for a few days in my wild youth. They expected you to go to church and provided transportation for it. Yet you were to look for a job and more permanent residence on foot.

They all know what people really need as they hand it out with the "gospel". It's like offering something that has debt attached to it in their eyes, yes they are very often that blatant. Don't be fooled, they are not nice people. Real charity is when someone does not expect anything in return.

 

 

Exactly! I think we've just cut through to the heart of what Christianity is all about and why it has existed for so long: coercion.

 co·erced, co·erc·ing, co·erc·es

1. To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.2. To dominate, restrain, or control forcibly:3. To bring about by force or threat: 

This especially applies to the Christian god/Jesus... if you don't think in this 'certain way' you are threatened by Christians to  eternal hellfire where this god will force you to go. Nice guy, this god.

As you said, if this god were actually a loving god who cared for his creations, he would have a place for every single one of us in an eternal paradise - no strings attached.

But, no. This god says, 'You will believe in me, even though I offer no proof that I actually exist other than a book which demonstrates that I am a vengeful, hateful, sadistic, murdering being or, I will make you roast for all eternity.'

Pretty big string attached to that one.

How fucking hard would it be, if there actually were a god who had the ability to communicate with his creation, to say, 'Hey guys! Love ya man! Can't wait to spend eternity with you!'

That's all it would take to convince me... and everyone else I'm sure. 'Hey God! Love your work! Looking forward to spending some quality time with you, too!'

 

Sandy,

 

The only thing you've uncovered is a bunch of misrepresentations of Christ, God and Christianity.  It sounds like what you think would be ideal is similar to the math teacher that applauds 2 + 2 = 5 with "THAT'S A BIGGIE NUMBER!!!"  "GROUP HUG!"  I would think if you guys were so perceptive you could sort through these distractions and at least understand the fundamentals of the gospel before you take off on your rant.  And save that "love you man" thing for the beer commercials. 

 

 

 

 

 


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Sandy, The

Fonzie wrote:

Sandy,

 

The only thing you've uncovered is a bunch of misrepresentations of Christ, God and Christianity.  It sounds like what you think would be ideal is similar to the math teacher that applauds 2 + 2 = 5 with "THAT'S A BIGGIE NUMBER!!!"  "GROUP HUG!"  I would think if you guys were so perceptive you could sort through these distractions and at least understand the fundamentals of the gospel before you take off on your rant.  And save that "love you man" thing for the beer commercials. 

and what is wrong with group hugs?

What has been misrepresented? The god of the bible is a vicious, egotistical, narcissistic psychopath. The so called original authors and or, witnesses, the disciples, were a bunch of lying, irresponsible slackers. Why would anyone in their right mind believe anything these bums had to say?

Call me a conspiracy theorist but, I think the whole Jesus story is nothing more than an elaborate hoax created to control and mess with the minds of the masses for political and economic reasons. The greatest hoax ever told.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Sandycane

Fonzie wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I ended up at a crisis center for a few days in my wild youth. They expected you to go to church and provided transportation for it. Yet you were to look for a job and more permanent residence on foot.

They all know what people really need as they hand it out with the "gospel". It's like offering something that has debt attached to it in their eyes, yes they are very often that blatant. Don't be fooled, they are not nice people. Real charity is when someone does not expect anything in return.

 

 

Exactly! I think we've just cut through to the heart of what Christianity is all about and why it has existed for so long: coercion.

 co·erced, co·erc·ing, co·erc·es

1. To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.2. To dominate, restrain, or control forcibly:3. To bring about by force or threat: 

This especially applies to the Christian god/Jesus... if you don't think in this 'certain way' you are threatened by Christians to  eternal hellfire where this god will force you to go. Nice guy, this god.

As you said, if this god were actually a loving god who cared for his creations, he would have a place for every single one of us in an eternal paradise - no strings attached.

But, no. This god says, 'You will believe in me, even though I offer no proof that I actually exist other than a book which demonstrates that I am a vengeful, hateful, sadistic, murdering being or, I will make you roast for all eternity.'

Pretty big string attached to that one.

How fucking hard would it be, if there actually were a god who had the ability to communicate with his creation, to say, 'Hey guys! Love ya man! Can't wait to spend eternity with you!'

That's all it would take to convince me... and everyone else I'm sure. 'Hey God! Love your work! Looking forward to spending some quality time with you, too!'

 

Sandy,

 

The only thing you've uncovered is a bunch of misrepresentations of Christ, God and Christianity.  It sounds like what you think would be ideal is similar to the math teacher that applauds 2 + 2 = 5 with "THAT'S A BIGGIE NUMBER!!!"  "GROUP HUG!"  I would think if you guys were so perceptive you could sort through these distractions and at least understand the fundamentals of the gospel before you take off on your rant.  And save that "love you man" thing for the beer commercials. 

 

 

 

 

 

It is simple. The gospels validity do not hold up upon reading them.  Your earlier post as to the weather controlled by God is his business does not speak to his sick intention in babies starving to death or like the ones I have seen at work tortured and abused to death.  If god can't intervene in something like that he's not a god that is very powerful or caring.  I could show you 20 years of unjustified suffering that I've worked with. To me they point away from any loving god.  If there is one he appears indifferent to the suffering , pain and torture of the innocent.  In fact he does not even appear.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Fonzie

TGBaker wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I ended up at a crisis center for a few days in my wild youth. They expected you to go to church and provided transportation for it. Yet you were to look for a job and more permanent residence on foot.

They all know what people really need as they hand it out with the "gospel". It's like offering something that has debt attached to it in their eyes, yes they are very often that blatant. Don't be fooled, they are not nice people. Real charity is when someone does not expect anything in return.

 

 

Exactly! I think we've just cut through to the heart of what Christianity is all about and why it has existed for so long: coercion.

 co·erced, co·erc·ing, co·erc·es

1. To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.2. To dominate, restrain, or control forcibly:3. To bring about by force or threat: 

This especially applies to the Christian god/Jesus... if you don't think in this 'certain way' you are threatened by Christians to  eternal hellfire where this god will force you to go. Nice guy, this god.

As you said, if this god were actually a loving god who cared for his creations, he would have a place for every single one of us in an eternal paradise - no strings attached.

But, no. This god says, 'You will believe in me, even though I offer no proof that I actually exist other than a book which demonstrates that I am a vengeful, hateful, sadistic, murdering being or, I will make you roast for all eternity.'

Pretty big string attached to that one.

How fucking hard would it be, if there actually were a god who had the ability to communicate with his creation, to say, 'Hey guys! Love ya man! Can't wait to spend eternity with you!'

That's all it would take to convince me... and everyone else I'm sure. 'Hey God! Love your work! Looking forward to spending some quality time with you, too!'

 

Sandy,

 

The only thing you've uncovered is a bunch of misrepresentations of Christ, God and Christianity.  It sounds like what you think would be ideal is similar to the math teacher that applauds 2 + 2 = 5 with "THAT'S A BIGGIE NUMBER!!!"  "GROUP HUG!"  I would think if you guys were so perceptive you could sort through these distractions and at least understand the fundamentals of the gospel before you take off on your rant.  And save that "love you man" thing for the beer commercials. 

 

 

 

 

 

It is simple. The gospels validity do not hold up upon reading them.  Your earlier post as to the weather controlled by God is his business does not speak to his sick intention in babies starving to death or like the ones I have seen at work tortured and abused to death.  If god can't intervene in something like that he's not a god that is very powerful or caring.  I could show you 20 years of unjustified suffering that I've worked with. To me they point away from any loving god.  If there is one he appears indifferent to the suffering , pain and torture of the innocent.  In fact he does not even appear.


 

 

It's a test man, some people are chosen at random for a pop quiz. Man cannot know the mind of a god unless it suits them to do so.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Sandycane

Fonzie wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I ended up at a crisis center for a few days in my wild youth. They expected you to go to church and provided transportation for it. Yet you were to look for a job and more permanent residence on foot.

They all know what people really need as they hand it out with the "gospel". It's like offering something that has debt attached to it in their eyes, yes they are very often that blatant. Don't be fooled, they are not nice people. Real charity is when someone does not expect anything in return.

 

 

Exactly! I think we've just cut through to the heart of what Christianity is all about and why it has existed for so long: coercion.

 co·erced, co·erc·ing, co·erc·es

1. To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.2. To dominate, restrain, or control forcibly:3. To bring about by force or threat: 

This especially applies to the Christian god/Jesus... if you don't think in this 'certain way' you are threatened by Christians to  eternal hellfire where this god will force you to go. Nice guy, this god.

As you said, if this god were actually a loving god who cared for his creations, he would have a place for every single one of us in an eternal paradise - no strings attached.

But, no. This god says, 'You will believe in me, even though I offer no proof that I actually exist other than a book which demonstrates that I am a vengeful, hateful, sadistic, murdering being or, I will make you roast for all eternity.'

Pretty big string attached to that one.

How fucking hard would it be, if there actually were a god who had the ability to communicate with his creation, to say, 'Hey guys! Love ya man! Can't wait to spend eternity with you!'

That's all it would take to convince me... and everyone else I'm sure. 'Hey God! Love your work! Looking forward to spending some quality time with you, too!'

 

Sandy,

 

The only thing you've uncovered is a bunch of misrepresentations of Christ, God and Christianity.  It sounds like what you think would be ideal is similar to the math teacher that applauds 2 + 2 = 5 with "THAT'S A BIGGIE NUMBER!!!"  "GROUP HUG!"  I would think if you guys were so perceptive you could sort through these distractions and at least understand the fundamentals of the gospel before you take off on your rant.  And save that "love you man" thing for the beer commercials. 

 

 

 

 

 

Poor Fonzie,

Of course we have a misconception of your Christ - we read the Bible instead of worshiping you as you desire.

You remember the Bible, don't you? that book you claim to love and believe but have never looked inside?

Besides, Christianity has as much to do with the gospel as Paul had to do with Jesus.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-08-31
User is onlineOnline
ACTUALLY - YOU'RE NOT BOTHERED BY A CLUE

jcgadfly wrote:

Poor Fonzie,

Of course we have a misconception of your Christ - we read the Bible instead of worshiping you as you desire.

You remember the Bible, don't you? that book you claim to love and believe but have never looked inside?

Besides, Christianity has as much to do with the gospel as Paul had to do with Jesus.

 

j-fly,

 

Humor has to have AT LEAST an ELEMENT of truth in it - which of course this "rod for your back" doesn't.  But for sure you are the "go to" guy for the race you have quit, the Scriptures you don't believe and the God you don't honor.  You'll never get far enough from home to be an expert on the gospel of God our Savior.

But don't worry - you have your place.  There are plenty of false gospels.

 

 

 

 

 


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1266
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
severalth + 23± µ3 time

jcgadfly,

How long can a troll go without feeding?

And...if you were fonzie (lithium be upon him), how would you answer the following question:

 

Quote:
Did you create the "what faith you" thread? That would be the thread titled "what faith you"; created by the user named "mephibosheth" on September 6, 2007 - 5:57pm, and which can be found here.
 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:jcgadfly

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Poor Fonzie,

Of course we have a misconception of your Christ - we read the Bible instead of worshiping you as you desire.

You remember the Bible, don't you? that book you claim to love and believe but have never looked inside?

Besides, Christianity has as much to do with the gospel as Paul had to do with Jesus.

 

j-fly,

 

Humor has to have AT LEAST an ELEMENT of truth in it - which of course this "rod for your back" doesn't.  But for sure you are the "go to" guy for the race you have quit, the Scriptures you don't believe and the God you don't honor.  You'll never get far enough from home to be an expert on the gospel of God our Savior.

But don't worry - you have your place.  There are plenty of false gospels.

 

 

 

 

 

And yet you can't tell us the element of truth in your view - not a damn thing funny in that. You gave a list of what you claim you have with god (which is what most of us claim we have without god but you think what we have isn't real because we don't worship you as well). The book of fonzie is the scripture I don't believe - the god you think you are is the one I don't honor. I'll let you win the race to kiss your ass, thanks. The cool thing about having you as god is you don't have to leave the house to understand you - why do you still fail at it?

There are plenty of false gospels - all I've done is include yours among them. Unfortunately for you, the evidence is on my side.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

jcgadfly,

How long can a troll go without feeding?

And...if you were fonzie (lithium be upon him), how would you answer the following question:

 

Quote:
Did you create the "what faith you" thread? That would be the thread titled "what faith you"; created by the user named "mephibosheth" on September 6, 2007 - 5:57pm, and which can be found here.
 

Zara,

As you've noticed, fonzie stores posts up so he can answer them later so he can always feed on his thread.

If I were him (look close fonzie) this is how I would answer the question: "Yes, I created that thread. The facts that both threads share my history and my writing style to the last detail bear this out. I apologize for my dishonesty and I will accept whatever punishment the mods will give."

Isn't it nice how fonzie reveals his dishonesty whether he opens his mouth or not?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Two paths before you, one

Two paths before you, one has a yellow brick road and the other is rough and at first glance seems barely passable. You are equipped with a machete and critical thought.

As Fonzie chooses the yellow brick road he drops his machete and his critical thought to the ground and travels a few feet to the end and stands there looking at a shiny wall which somehow gives him immediate gratification.

Most of the people on this forum have chosen to take up the machete and use our skeptical minds to traverse the path that might actually lead somewhere.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-08-31
User is onlineOnline
SEARCH FOR DER LIVING STONE

robj101 wrote:

Two paths before you, one has a yellow brick road and the other is rough and at first glance seems barely passable. You are equipped with a machete and critical thought.

As Fonzie chooses the yellow brick road he drops his machete and his critical thought to the ground and travels a few feet to the end and stands there looking at a shiny wall which somehow gives him immediate gratification.

Most of the people on this forum have chosen to take up the machete and use our skeptical minds to traverse the path that might actually lead somewhere.

 

rob,

 

I thought you gave a good description of being lost in the jungle whacking.  I hope you find The Way. 

I have a Guide with proven loyalty who is The Way.  Air support.  Night vision.  It's good judgment to realize you can't look out for yourself in this jungle.  Critical thought will tell you that. 

 

 

 

 

 


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Two paths

robj101 wrote:

Two paths before you, one has a yellow brick road and the other is rough and at first glance seems barely passable. You are equipped with a machete and critical thought.

As Fonzie chooses the yellow brick road he drops his machete and his critical thought to the ground and travels a few feet to the end and stands there looking at a shiny wall which somehow gives him immediate gratification.

Most of the people on this forum have chosen to take up the machete and use our skeptical minds to traverse the path that might actually lead somewhere.

I just wanted to say, 'Love ya man'.

Really, I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your posts lately. I love the analogies, right on the money.

...and poor fonzie still doesn't get it.

How can he when he's been brainwashed into believing he's nothing but a hopeless sinner who has no control over his life?

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:robj101

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Two paths before you, one has a yellow brick road and the other is rough and at first glance seems barely passable. You are equipped with a machete and critical thought.

As Fonzie chooses the yellow brick road he drops his machete and his critical thought to the ground and travels a few feet to the end and stands there looking at a shiny wall which somehow gives him immediate gratification.

Most of the people on this forum have chosen to take up the machete and use our skeptical minds to traverse the path that might actually lead somewhere.

 

rob,

 

I thought you gave a good description of being lost in the jungle whacking.  I hope you find The Way. 

I have a Guide with proven loyalty who is The Way.  Air support.  Night vision.  It's good judgment to realize you can't look out for yourself in this jungle.  Critical thought will tell you that. 

 

 

 

 

 

Fonzie, is that why when it comes to answering simple questions honestly or being confronted with the Bible you've never read but "love and believe" - you still can't find your glutes with both hands, a flashlight and a map?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote: I have a

Fonzie wrote:

 

I have a Guide with proven loyalty who is The Way

 

Proven? Give us one shred of proof any kind of observable verifiable undeniable evidence. Anything no matter how small let's see it. If there was any evidence and proof at all of this sort we wouldn't be having this "thread".

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:robj101

Sandycane wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Two paths before you, one has a yellow brick road and the other is rough and at first glance seems barely passable. You are equipped with a machete and critical thought.

As Fonzie chooses the yellow brick road he drops his machete and his critical thought to the ground and travels a few feet to the end and stands there looking at a shiny wall which somehow gives him immediate gratification.

Most of the people on this forum have chosen to take up the machete and use our skeptical minds to traverse the path that might actually lead somewhere.

I just wanted to say, 'Love ya man'.

Really, I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your posts lately. I love the analogies, right on the money.

...and poor fonzie still doesn't get it.

How can he when he's been brainwashed into believing he's nothing but a hopeless sinner who has no control over his life?

It must all be a part of the "plan"

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-08-31
User is onlineOnline
RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD THROUGH FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST FOR ALL WHO B

robj101 wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

 

I have a Guide with proven loyalty who is The Way

 

Proven? Give us one shred of proof any kind of observable verifiable undeniable evidence. Anything no matter how small let's see it. If there was any evidence and proof at all of this sort we wouldn't be having this "thread".

 

rob,

I was lost in the jungle, not getting anywhere and found What I was looking for.  I'm not lost anymore.  I'm just as skeptical as you if not more so.  I've been through the search and I've found the Light, the Way, the Path, the Pearl, the Water and the Bread of Life Abundantly. 

The proof centers around whether or not you believe Jesus is the Son of God, born of a virgin, lived a perfect life, died for the sins of all who believe in Him, rose from the dead.  If you are born again into Him you become a part of His body the church and His Spirit lives in you.  The curtain - access to the Holy of Holies has been torn open by the sacrifice of His blood.  We can be near to God in Christ - there is no need for a barrier now.  The Way has been opened.  In Christ we are all priests now, we are all saints. 

In a change of heart you could turn your skepticism on the RRSQ.  If you believed me (faith) you might be encouraged to look further into the mystery of the gospel hidden even to angels - now revealed in the appearing of the Son of God, the Lamb of God Sacrificed once and for all for the sins of all men for all time - for those who believe, for those who have the faith of Abraham.  He "believed God and God counted it as righteousness".  We who believe in Christ, we who have the "faith of Abraham" can receive the Righteousness of God in Christ.  It is a spiritual awakening from death to life.  Many have experienced it.  It's true there are fake models - but don't let that keep you from finding the real. 

If your critical thinking led you to believe that maybe what I'm telling you is true would you have the courage to take your machete and whack against unbelief?  If not, which road is "easy street"? 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Isn't it nice

jcgadfly wrote:

Isn't it nice how fonzie reveals his dishonesty whether he opens his mouth or not?

Yeah, but the problem is, new people have to read a few pages of his drivel before they even realise that.

 

For example, who except us knows that Rob (and uncountable other posters) already answered all the questions he's asking, yet again, in the post he just made ?

 

 

Haven't you noticed how people never take our word for it, and always give him the benefit of the doubt ? Atheists seem to be , without exception, kind and patient people.

Which means that, in the meantime,  he'll get to waste the time, patience and kindness of people who are looking for someone to have a conversation with.

And that's what needs to end.

 

I probably shouldn't warn him, but he only has a limited number of chances left to come clean and admit his lies.

 

 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:robj101

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

 

I have a Guide with proven loyalty who is The Way

 

Proven? Give us one shred of proof any kind of observable verifiable undeniable evidence. Anything no matter how small let's see it. If there was any evidence and proof at all of this sort we wouldn't be having this "thread".

 

rob,

I was lost in the jungle, not getting anywhere and found What I was looking for.  I'm not lost anymore.  I'm just as skeptical as you if not more so.  I've been through the search and I've found the Light, the Way, the Path, the Pearl, the Water and the Bread of Life Abundantly. 

The proof centers around whether or not you believe Jesus is the Son of God, born of a virgin, lived a perfect life, died for the sins of all who believe in Him, rose from the dead.  If you are born again into Him you become a part of His body the church and His Spirit lives in you.  The curtain - access to the Holy of Holies has been torn open by the sacrifice of His blood.  We can be near to God in Christ - there is no need for a barrier now.  The Way has been opened.  In Christ we are all priests now, we are all saints. 

In a change of heart you could turn your skepticism on the RRSQ.  If you believed me (faith) you might be encouraged to look further into the mystery of the gospel hidden even to angels - now revealed in the appearing of the Son of God, the Lamb of God Sacrificed once and for all for the sins of all men for all time - for those who believe, for those who have the faith of Abraham.  He "believed God and God counted it as righteousness".  We who believe in Christ, we who have the "faith of Abraham" can receive the Righteousness of God in Christ.  It is a spiritual awakening from death to life.  Many have experienced it.  It's true there are fake models - but don't let that keep you from finding the real. 

If your critical thinking led you to believe that maybe what I'm telling you is true would you have the courage to take your machete and whack against unbelief?  If not, which road is "easy street"? 

 

 

You have nothing to say other than "have faith" why am I not suprised. You make your god known through yourself, it's all fairly amazing really and think well enough to say it. What other tricks can you do for your self indulging mind?

This whole thread has been about nothing because you really haven't had anything to say.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:jcgadfly

Anonymouse wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Isn't it nice how fonzie reveals his dishonesty whether he opens his mouth or not?

Yeah, but the problem is, new people have to read a few pages of his drivel before they even realise that.

 

For example, who except us knows that Rob (and uncountable other posters) already answered all the questions he's asking, yet again, in the post he just made ?

 

 

Haven't you noticed how people never take our word for it, and always give him the benefit of the doubt ? Atheists seem to be , without exception, kind and patient people.

Which means that, in the meantime,  he'll get to waste the time, patience and kindness of people who are looking for someone to have a conversation with.

And that's what needs to end.

 

I probably shouldn't warn him, but he only has a limited number of chances left to come clean and admit his lies.

 

 

He's just a nutter, he can't help it, he may be one of the stupid people I was discussing in another thread.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote: rob,I was

Fonzie wrote:

 

rob,

I was lost in the jungle, not getting anywhere and found What I was looking for.  I'm not lost anymore.  I'm just as skeptical as you if not more so.  I've been through the search and I've found the Light, the Way, the Path, the Pearl, the Water and the Bread of Life Abundantly. 

The proof centers around whether or not you believe Jesus is the Son of God, born of a virgin, lived a perfect life, died for the sins of all who believe in Him, rose from the dead.  If you are born again into Him you become a part of His body the church and His Spirit lives in you.  The curtain - access to the Holy of Holies has been torn open by the sacrifice of His blood.  We can be near to God in Christ - there is no need for a barrier now.  The Way has been opened.  In Christ we are all priests now, we are all saints. 

In a change of heart you could turn your skepticism on the RRSQ.  If you believed me (faith) you might be encouraged to look further into the mystery of the gospel hidden even to angels - now revealed in the appearing of the Son of God, the Lamb of God Sacrificed once and for all for the sins of all men for all time - for those who believe, for those who have the faith of Abraham.  He "believed God and God counted it as righteousness".  We who believe in Christ, we who have the "faith of Abraham" can receive the Righteousness of God in Christ.  It is a spiritual awakening from death to life.  Many have experienced it.  It's true there are fake models - but don't let that keep you from finding the real. 

If your critical thinking led you to believe that maybe what I'm telling you is true would you have the courage to take your machete and whack against unbelief?  If not, which road is "easy street"? 

 

Religion: The only legal hallucinogen. 

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Fonzie

Sandycane wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

 

rob,

I was lost in the jungle, not getting anywhere and found What I was looking for.  I'm not lost anymore.  I'm just as skeptical as you if not more so.  I've been through the search and I've found the Light, the Way, the Path, the Pearl, the Water and the Bread of Life Abundantly. 

The proof centers around whether or not you believe Jesus is the Son of God, born of a virgin, lived a perfect life, died for the sins of all who believe in Him, rose from the dead.  If you are born again into Him you become a part of His body the church and His Spirit lives in you.  The curtain - access to the Holy of Holies has been torn open by the sacrifice of His blood.  We can be near to God in Christ - there is no need for a barrier now.  The Way has been opened.  In Christ we are all priests now, we are all saints. 

In a change of heart you could turn your skepticism on the RRSQ.  If you believed me (faith) you might be encouraged to look further into the mystery of the gospel hidden even to angels - now revealed in the appearing of the Son of God, the Lamb of God Sacrificed once and for all for the sins of all men for all time - for those who believe, for those who have the faith of Abraham.  He "believed God and God counted it as righteousness".  We who believe in Christ, we who have the "faith of Abraham" can receive the Righteousness of God in Christ.  It is a spiritual awakening from death to life.  Many have experienced it.  It's true there are fake models - but don't let that keep you from finding the real. 

If your critical thinking led you to believe that maybe what I'm telling you is true would you have the courage to take your machete and whack against unbelief?  If not, which road is "easy street"? 

 

Religion: The only legal hallucinogen. 

Yea but it is always a bad trip.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-08-31
User is onlineOnline
YOU PRAISING YOU TRUSTING YOU LOVING YOU

robj101 wrote:

You have nothing to say other than "have faith" why am I not suprised. You make your god known through yourself, it's all fairly amazing really and think well enough to say it. What other tricks can you do for your self indulging mind?

This whole thread has been about nothing because you really haven't had anything to say.

 

rob,

How is it that you have faith in yourself that you can sum up me and everything I've said and be confident in praising yourself that you know all knowingly I have nothing to say?  Is this an example of your model critical thinking and broad view reasoning?  How do you make such wide sweeping statements and know you haven't left something on the floor?  Is this how you are "hacking your way through the uncharted jungle" or is it simply laziness:  "label", "insult" and "disregard"? 

This seems exactly like what you accuse me of - you are making a god of yourself, creating blind sweeping statements of faith in yourself, then conclusively falling to your knees in praise and adoration. 

I'm not trying to glorify myself like you.  I didn't think these things up.  But I have experienced them - and I know they are true.  My faith is not in myself but in God and Jesus Christ.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:robj101

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

You have nothing to say other than "have faith" why am I not suprised. You make your god known through yourself, it's all fairly amazing really and think well enough to say it. What other tricks can you do for your self indulging mind?

This whole thread has been about nothing because you really haven't had anything to say.

 

rob,

How is it that you have faith in yourself that you can sum up me and everything I've said and be confident in praising yourself that you know all knowingly I have nothing to say?  Is this an example of your model critical thinking and broad view reasoning?  How do you make such wide sweeping statements and know you haven't left something on the floor?  Is this how you are "hacking your way through the uncharted jungle" or is it simply laziness:  "label", "insult" and "disregard"? 

This seems exactly like what you accuse me of - you are making a god of yourself, creating blind sweeping statements of faith in yourself, then conclusively falling to your knees in praise and adoration. 

I'm not trying to glorify myself like you.  I didn't think these things up.  But I have experienced them - and I know they are true.  My faith is not in myself but in God and Jesus Christ.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fonzie it seems to me the problem is that you will not answer our questions( those of us who do not believe) directly.  We understand that you say you have faith and that you have certainty that it is true. But we don't. We need to understand how what you profess is true.  That is done by evidence. We have presented reasons and evidence of why we do not believe there is a god.  I am open to evidence and reasons that there is a god but I have not seen anything plausible. What you state makes sense to you because you believe and work within that system of faith.  We are outside that trying ( at least some of us) to look in and understand what you claim and how it is supposedly vital for us.  But it seems you only talk about your behavior (results of believing) or faith from your certainty of what you understand and can't seem to explain what and how it is that you do understand your claims that lead to your faith.

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1266
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
(Poe)

Excerpt from The Logic, the Troll and the Medicine Cabinet:

...Sandy and Rob kept throwing bones to the Troll, though the wise Mouse had warned them not to.   Even The Great Baker's truffles could not overcome the Lithium that oozed from the Troll's every orifice.  It would pounce on anything tossed its way, like gadflies on a pile of jesus...

 

 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:robj101

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

You have nothing to say other than "have faith" why am I not suprised. You make your god known through yourself, it's all fairly amazing really and think well enough to say it. What other tricks can you do for your self indulging mind?

This whole thread has been about nothing because you really haven't had anything to say.

 

rob,

How is it that you have faith in yourself that you can sum up me and everything I've said and be confident in praising yourself that you know all knowingly I have nothing to say?  Is this an example of your model critical thinking and broad view reasoning?  How do you make such wide sweeping statements and know you haven't left something on the floor?  Is this how you are "hacking your way through the uncharted jungle" or is it simply laziness:  "label", "insult" and "disregard"? 

This seems exactly like what you accuse me of - you are making a god of yourself, creating blind sweeping statements of faith in yourself, then conclusively falling to your knees in praise and adoration. 

I'm not trying to glorify myself like you.  I didn't think these things up.  But I have experienced them - and I know they are true.  My faith is not in myself but in God and Jesus Christ.

 

 

Quote me praising myself as anything like a "god", quote me as having faith in myself and basing anything on said "faith".

I label insult and disregard because you pour out the same carp over and over again while ignoring anything anyone has to say to you.

Untill you show some evidence of your god then it is all in your own head and you are personifying this god through yourself because it coincides with what you want.

You haven't experienced anything other than the superstitious end of human nature from what you have posted.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Apparently, like most he

Apparently, like most he expects us to just drop what we are doing and praise and worship his god. Just have "faith" and trust in this thing we can't see touch smell or hear.

How exactly can I convice you that santa clause is real Fonzie? Explain in some detail how I could do this.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Wow

Almost three hundred new replies since the last time that I posted in this thread. I have got alot of catching up to do. Anyone ever thought of packaging this entire discussion into a book and using it to raise money for the RRS ? We could call it "It definitely doesn't work for us".

So Fonzie, did you ever read up on the Big Bang Theory and how it relates to the application of physics,as I suggested ? Or is the ongoing discussion caught in the same circular discussion as before ? Something tells me, the same as before.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Apparently,

robj101 wrote:

Apparently, like most he expects us to just drop what we are doing and praise and worship his god. Just have "faith" and trust in this thing we can't see touch smell or hear.

How exactly can I convice you that santa clause is real Fonzie? Explain in some detail how I could do this.

Just checking, rob, but you do remember who you're talking to, right ?

Remember that guy who ignored about 50 of your posts, untill you said poop ?

Remember that guy who couldn't possibly make it any more clear he couldn't care less about what any of us have to say ?

Remember that guy who explained his reluctance to talk to a tirelessly polite poster, by saying he had a problem with, and I quote, "the tone of voice you looked with" ?

Remember that guy who accuses people of "mischaracterizing", even when you quote him verbatim ?

 

I could go on, but like this thread, what's the point ?

 


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Almost

harleysportster wrote:

Almost three hundred new replies since the last time that I posted in this thread. I have got alot of catching up to do. Anyone ever thought of packaging this entire discussion into a book and using it to raise money for the RRS ? We could call it "It definitely doesn't work for us".

So Fonzie, did you ever read up on the Big Bang Theory and how it relates to the application of physics,as I suggested ? Or is the ongoing discussion caught in the same circular discussion as before ? Something tells me, the same as before.

We tried sending him to coventry, but people just can't seem to resist the temptation. (Allthough what temptation there is in talking to someone who obviously doesn't want to talk to you, I have no idea)

 

If the mods don't give him back his badge soon, I'm going to take a page from his book and start spamming this thread, just like he's been doing to us for years.

harleysportster wrote:
I have got alot of catching up to do.

Don't bother. Seriously : Do . Not . Bother.

Picking your nose or twiddling your thumbs might be a more worthwile activity.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:robj101

Anonymouse wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Apparently, like most he expects us to just drop what we are doing and praise and worship his god. Just have "faith" and trust in this thing we can't see touch smell or hear.

How exactly can I convice you that santa clause is real Fonzie? Explain in some detail how I could do this.

Just checking, rob, but you do remember who you're talking to, right ?

Remember that guy who ignored about 50 of your posts, untill you said poop ?

Remember that guy who couldn't possibly make it any more clear he couldn't care less about what any of us have to say ?

Remember that guy who explained his reluctance to talk to a tirelessly polite poster, by saying he had a problem with, and I quote, "the tone of voice you looked with" ?

Remember that guy who accuses people of "mischaracterizing", even when you quote him verbatim ?

 

I could go on, but like this thread, what's the point ?

 

Yea I'm sure you recall me bantering you about this same thing lol. But I want to see a response to this question:

"How exactly can I convice you that santa clause is real Fonzie? Explain in some detail how I could do this."

 

Curiosity I suppose, see how far he can take this faith thing based on his own want to feel good mentality.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Excerpt

zarathustra wrote:

Excerpt from The Logic, the Troll and the Medicine Cabinet:

...Sandy and Rob kept throwing bones to the Troll, though the wise Mouse had warned them not to.   Even The Great Baker's truffles could not overcome the Lithium that oozed from the Troll's every orifice.  It would pounce on anything tossed its way, like gadflies on a pile of jesus...

 

 

I like that a lot.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Yea I'm sure

robj101 wrote:
Yea I'm sure you recall me bantering you about this same thing lol.

Yes, I do, and you were right. So can we go back to agreeing about this ?

 

robj101 wrote:
But I want to see a response to this question:

"How exactly can I convice you that santa clause is real Fonzie? Explain in some detail how I could do this."

 

As long as you accept that he'll immediately contradict that response, if and when it suits his purpose.

Even if you get a straight answer (and I got one once), he still reserves the right to deny he ever gave it, even if you copy and paste it right in front of his nose.

I'll repeat that, so it can sink in : He'll deny he ever said something, even if you copy and paste it right in front of his nose.

 

robj101 wrote:
Curiosity I suppose, see how far he can take this faith thing based on his own want to feel good mentality.

How far ? I just told you : He'll deny his own words, even if you quote them back at him verbatim.

For pete's sake, this guy once accused me of "mischaracterising" the meaning of the word "yes" ! That far !

 

Look, sorry for getting a little cranky here, but I just think all you guys deserve better than this. That's all.

 

 

 

 

 


Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
Posts: 180
Joined: 2010-07-23
User is offlineOffline
Hey Fonzie, I promise to

Hey Fonzie, I promise to answer any question you have to the best of my knowledge if you will only answer the question so many have asked, are you the same person who created the 'What Faith You' thread a ways back?


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Excerpt

zarathustra wrote:

Excerpt from The Logic, the Troll and the Medicine Cabinet:

...Sandy and Rob kept throwing bones to the Troll, though the wise Mouse had warned them not to.   Even The Great Baker's truffles could not overcome the Lithium that oozed from the Troll's every orifice.  It would pounce on anything tossed its way, like gadflies on a pile of jesus...

 

 

So, how does this story end?

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-08-31
User is onlineOnline
ELECTRONIC FAITH TRANSFER CONFORMATION?

TGBaker wrote:

Fonzie it seems to me the problem is that you will not answer our questions( those of us who do not believe) directly.  We understand that you say you have faith and that you have certainty that it is true. But we don't. We need to understand how what you profess is true.  That is done by evidence. We have presented reasons and evidence of why we do not believe there is a god.  I am open to evidence and reasons that there is a god but I have not seen anything plausible. What you state makes sense to you because you believe and work within that system of faith.  We are outside that trying ( at least some of us) to look in and understand what you claim and how it is supposedly vital for us.  But it seems you only talk about your behavior (results of believing) or faith from your certainty of what you understand and can't seem to explain what and how it is that you do understand your claims that lead to your faith.

 

 

 

TG,

I wonder what you envision when you say evidence because we are not talking about science class or trigonometry proofs.  What to you would be sufficient "evidence" there is a God? 

I assume that is your son in the picture and that he trusts you - but what if he asked you to give him evidence some day he could believe in you?  What would you do? 

As far as answering you directly I'm doing the best I can on that.  I can't make the blind see, by that I mean there is a spiritual "awakening" that comes from God that enables faith.  "You he made alive while you were dead...."  By this answer you can decide that I think I'm better than you - or you can understand that I am trying to answer you directly. 

Another way I have tried to answer this quest for evidence is that there were people in the Bible that saw a miracle happen.  It didn't necessarily result in their believing in Jesus and God.  With some it just made them wonder how they were going to get this "problem" out of the way.  My direct answer in that case was that real miracles didn't automatically produce faith in the witnesses. 

So we're back to my direct answer that I can't prove to you God exists.  That proof includes a variable:  you.  I can try to get you interested in the gospel of Jesus and His substitution death for our sins - the reason I would try to do that is the cross is the meeting place for God and man.  Jesus referred to Himself as the "Door" - which in the direct context I am trying to develop here is that if you enter the "Door" things will open up on the other side of the Door. 

So we're back to my experience.  Last week I injured my back and worked 2 days with pain then 1 day off and the next day the strength came back in.  So it was injured, then healed.  I tell you that just to illustrate that you probably don't even believe that.  I don't know how I could prove it to you.  There has to be some faith or confidence that it really happened.  I really learned to appreciate my back. 

I experienced the same thing spiritually - pain and misery, then healing and strength.  I can direct you to how it happened but if you don't have any faith in what I'm telling you it has no weight.  There has to be a direct investment of faith to check these things out.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1266
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
(Poe)

Excerpt #2 from The Logic, the Troll and the Medicine Cabinet:

The Troll yelped for more, but the good children fed him nothing this time, for now they knew better.  

And Elvis was well-pleased with them.   

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
Posts: 180
Joined: 2010-07-23
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Excerpt #2

zarathustra wrote:

Excerpt #2 from The Logic, the Troll and the Medicine Cabinet:

The Troll yelped for more, but the good children fed him nothing this time, for now they knew better.  

And Elvis was well-pleased with them.   

 

So the king is still alive then? Huh, guess those conspiracy theorists had to be right about something.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:TGBaker

Fonzie wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Fonzie it seems to me the problem is that you will not answer our questions( those of us who do not believe) directly.  We understand that you say you have faith and that you have certainty that it is true. But we don't. We need to understand how what you profess is true.  That is done by evidence. We have presented reasons and evidence of why we do not believe there is a god.  I am open to evidence and reasons that there is a god but I have not seen anything plausible. What you state makes sense to you because you believe and work within that system of faith.  We are outside that trying ( at least some of us) to look in and understand what you claim and how it is supposedly vital for us.  But it seems you only talk about your behavior (results of believing) or faith from your certainty of what you understand and can't seem to explain what and how it is that you do understand your claims that lead to your faith.

 

 

 

TG,

I wonder what you envision when you say evidence because we are not talking about science class or trigonometry proofs.  What to you would be sufficient "evidence" there is a God? 

I assume that is your son in the picture and that he trusts you - but what if he asked you to give him evidence some day he could believe in you?  What would you do? 

As far as answering you directly I'm doing the best I can on that.  I can't make the blind see, by that I mean there is a spiritual "awakening" that comes from God that enables faith.  "You he made alive while you were dead...."  By this answer you can decide that I think I'm better than you - or you can understand that I am trying to answer you directly. 

Another way I have tried to answer this quest for evidence is that there were people in the Bible that saw a miracle happen.  It didn't necessarily result in their believing in Jesus and God.  With some it just made them wonder how they were going to get this "problem" out of the way.  My direct answer in that case was that real miracles didn't automatically produce faith in the witnesses. 

So we're back to my direct answer that I can't prove to you God exists.  That proof includes a variable:  you.  I can try to get you interested in the gospel of Jesus and His substitution death for our sins - the reason I would try to do that is the cross is the meeting place for God and man.  Jesus referred to Himself as the "Door" - which in the direct context I am trying to develop here is that if you enter the "Door" things will open up on the other side of the Door. 

So we're back to my experience.  Last week I injured my back and worked 2 days with pain then 1 day off and the next day the strength came back in.  So it was injured, then healed.  I tell you that just to illustrate that you probably don't even believe that.  I don't know how I could prove it to you.  There has to be some faith or confidence that it really happened.  I really learned to appreciate my back. 

I experienced the same thing spiritually - pain and misery, then healing and strength.  I can direct you to how it happened but if you don't have any faith in what I'm telling you it has no weight.  There has to be a direct investment of faith to check these things out.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How exactly can I convice you that santa clause is real Fonzie? Explain in some detail how I could do this.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
Oh for fuck's

Oh for fuck's sake..............................................

 

Fine, I give up.

 

Being consistently and ridiculously dishonest is apparently something that needs to be rewarded.

 

Anyone else wants to get jerked around and lure some more people into this masochistic mess ? Go right ahead, I won't stop you anymore. Why bother reading this thread if you can just make it repeat itself ?

 

Hey, here's an idea : Instead of giving Fonzie his badge back, why not just give all the atheists troll badges ?

Makes sense. After all, all we're doing here is interrupting this nice christian fella who just wants to testify.