It works for me!

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
It works for me!

Faith in Jesus works for me - it's exciting.  I love the Bible and believe all of it - though there is mystery.  There is mystery everywhere though, right?  I am a incredibly happy believer in Jesus.  I'm not a theologian, I just believe in Jesus.

I understand you can't make anybody believe in Jesus and the Bible, and I don't personally try to do that.  But I highly recommend it from my experience with it.  I can't get enough of the Bible or Jesus.  I can't imagine trying to navigate through life without it at this point in my life. 

I don't think Jesus or God is a thing you can prove to somebody.  I heard about it a large percentage of my life and it didn't mean anything to me until a certain point - then that all changed. 

So do you guys think that I'm fooling myself, not really happy, you don't believe me, or do you really think I can't be as happy or enlightened as you - are you evangelistic in that sense or what?  What is the purpose of this site?   Do you have something better to offer?  If so, what is your gospel? 

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
THERE'S HOPE, AND THERE'S CONCRETE

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

rebecca.williamson,

So you kinda like the Cliff notes version huh.  I think there is a desire to "sum it all up" - and maybe with haste at that - and "write it off".  It's like "the end of the matter, all has been heard" and yet the atheists have heard nothing yet always claim they have made their point somewhere, sometime. 

I might come up with my own summary of the atheist's argument:

F.  "It works for me - Christ lives".

A.  "I was once fooled by all this happy horse crap, now I'm free and real"

F.  "What is your faith in?"

A.  "I don't have faith, idiot, I have confidence.  I know what I'm doing.  You haven't proved anything and you don't know anything."

F.  "Where have you come from and where are you going?"

A.  "You idiot, I don't need that and you can't prove that, you don't know me that well to say that!   I can prove what I don't like!  When I die I'm dead and things are great and meaningful now and I've already told you how meaningful.  Besides I'm helping my fellow man be real too.  And I already told you you're an idiot and I'm real". 

F.  "Christ is the Lamb of God Who died for our sins so we could have eternal life starting now". 

A.  "You can't prove it, and you're really annoying me now with these things you can't prove.  I know I'm right and we've all proved it several times.  You even liked a couple answers so that proves we proved it and it proves you like what we're doing - or you did and now you don't?  i thought you were reasonable and I used to like you but now I wonder about your sanity.   So we're atheists, your an idiot, and if you don't believe me just wait until the next atheist supports me on this.  You have faith in something you haven't proved to us.  We know we're right and we've proved it.  And I'm happy and helping my fellow man."

F.  "Faith is like spiritual eyesight". 

A.  "Ok, you're using a computer made by an atheist and what a joke that you'd bring that up on a medium us atheists have created."

etc, ad nauseum...

See, all of your answers here are just rhetoric. It's like saying, "how can you have a creation without a creator?" Well, calling something a creation begs the question. It's a disingenuous, fallacious tactic. And that's the entirety of these kinds of posts. When are you going to learn that you can win people over by playing fast with them?

PimpingWolfwood,

No, the problem is the summary is too accurate.  There is much more talk about discussion on this forum than discussion.  This is to hide the fact that atheists don't have anything of substance to offer, especially ones who say they once "believed in God", once "were Christians" then gave up and now try to put a righteous face on that failure. 

Some of discussion is rhetoric - you might want to consider that fact.  For a distraction you attack the word "creation" because you don't have an answer for it.  You don't have anything to discuss, so then you come up with your own version of summary of these posts and add righteous indignation. 

I think the summary is pretty much dead on except I won't imitate your disrespect for God and Jesus even for illustration.

The gospel is truly the best thing that has ever come to mankind, ever.  I have had my eyes opened to the truth of the gospel (good news) of salvation through the atoning death of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God on the cross and His resurrection to an Indestructible Life after 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb.  He had a body when He was resurrected.  Several witnessed that fact and died for their testimony of it.  I was born into Christ through the Spirit and the water of baptism.  I have been born into that resurrection of His and am experiencing the foretaste of eternal life now - while my body and flesh go downhill toward the tomb my spirit is on an uphill climb heading for a new body that fits my saved spirit in Christ. 

I'm secure in Christ.  It's working great for me.  It's a joy to be in fellowship with Him and God and the Holy Spirit.  I'm aware that like many of the participants on this website I could make shipwreck (that's an illustrative rhetoric term with the goal of describing the ruin), shipwreck of my faith and be in a worse state than I was before I was saved from my sins in Christ.  I suppose like those examples of spiritual shipwreck I could then try to put a false "more righteous than Christians" face on that.  But that's a lie.  I am not the enemy for exposing this lie before the concrete is set up (another rhetoric illustration meaning, there's hope). 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:I'm secure in

Fonzie wrote:
I'm secure in Christ.  It's working great for me.

Then why spend so much time and energy lying to us ? What did we ever do to you ?

Fonzie wrote:
I'm aware that like many of the participants on this website I could make shipwreck (that's an illustrative rhetoric term with the goal of describing the ruin), shipwreck of my faith and be in a worse state than I was before I was saved from my sins in Christ.

Well, you could stop taking your lithium, I suppose. That could ruin things quite effectively. I strongly suggest you don't. LIthium doesn't get prescribed as medication for bipolar unless the situation of the patient is very serious indeed, due to the considerable danger involved when you don't get the dosage exactly right.

Fonzie wrote:
I suppose like those examples of spiritual shipwreck I could then try to put a false "more righteous than Christians" face on that.  But that's a lie.

Well, no, not really. You see, "christians" is such a broad term. If I learned one thing on this site it's that pretty much anyone, no matter what their behaviour or opinions, can and will call themselves a christian. Untill you guys figure out amongst yourselves who's the real one, the claim "I'm a christian" remains meaningless.

Btw, calling people "spirtual shipwrecks" is just another fancy insult (oh sorry, you're doing it, so it's "dew", not "demolition" ). Just saying it doesn't make it so.

Just because you would like us to be "spiritual shipwrecks" doesn't mean we are.

(And by making that claim, you're once more arguing against yourself, btw. You do that a lot)

Fonzie wrote:
I am not the enemy for exposing this lie before the concrete is set up (another rhetoric illustration meaning, there's hope). 

Well, before you can expose a lie, you need to prove there's a lie in the first place.

You know, like I did.

So btw, why did you lie ? I'd really like to know.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
NO CASE IN COURT WITH YOU

Realistic_Human wrote:

You are so wrong and you will find out in the end. I have been a "non-denominational, born-again christian" for 40+ years, and it was a mistake and a lie. The only true happiness is when you can make your own decisions in life.

Realistic_Human,

You kind of remind of a guy 7 people saw commit a murder who then tried to make his case by producing 77 people who didn't see it.  Your testimony means nothing.  You are not even in court on spiritual matters.  Just because you don't perceive spiritual things doesn't mean they are not there to perceive. 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Anything

jcgadfly wrote:

Anything else?

He treats people here like crap. That's what really rubs me the wrong way.

Seriously, what did we ever do to him ?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Realistic_Human

Fonzie wrote:

Realistic_Human wrote:

You are so wrong and you will find out in the end. I have been a "non-denominational, born-again christian" for 40+ years, and it was a mistake and a lie. The only true happiness is when you can make your own decisions in life.

Realistic_Human,

You kind of remind of a guy 7 people saw commit a murder who then tried to make his case by producing 77 people who didn't see it.  Your testimony means nothing.  You are not even in court on spiritual matters.  Just because you don't perceive spiritual things doesn't mean they are not there to perceive. 

I only just typed "he treats people here like crap", and look what he does. *sigh*

The guy disagrees with him, and he compares him to a murderer. Nice.

Fonzie wrote:
Just because you don't perceive spiritual things doesn't mean they are not there to perceive.

Yup. Only really spiritual people can see the emperor's clothes.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Realistic_Human

Fonzie wrote:

Realistic_Human wrote:

Realistic_Human,

So, his testimony means nothing because he doesn't have the magic peep=stones, Joseph?

Are you defending Jesus because you love him or because you think he needs you?

Or are you actually arrogant enough that our questions for you are attacks on him? You're not Todd Friel posting under an alias. I mean, we know you're posting under an alias meph. I just want to make sure you're not Friel.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
(Poe)

Fonzie,

Fonzie wrote:
But that's a lie.  I am not the enemy for exposing this lie before the concrete is set up (another rhetoric illustration meaning, there's hope).

It pains me to see you would speak of exposing lies, when you will obstinately avoid addressing your own horribly exposed and suppurating lie:

Quote:
...you refuse still to answer simple 'a' or 'b' questions, namely:  Did you create the "what faith you" thread?  That would be the thread titled "what faith you"; created by the user named "mephibosheth" on September 6, 2007 - 5:57pm,  and which can be found here.

If you will not respond to the simplest of questions in a forthright manner, it is fruitless to open further discussion.

Please remove your rancid christ-cancer from my presence.  Dishonesty and intellectual cowardice does not work for me.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Fonzie

Anonymouse wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Realistic_Human wrote:

Realistic_Human,

I only just typed "he treats people here like crap", and look what he does. *sigh*

The guy disagrees with him, and he compares him to a murderer. Nice.

Fonzie wrote:
Just because you don't perceive spiritual things doesn't mean they are not there to perceive.

Yup. Only really spiritual people can see the emperor's clothes.

Just think if the murderer fonzie/meph mentioned was killing in the name of Jesus, he'd be the first to tout the man's valor.

"How brave he was!  In the face of secular adversity, standing for God!"

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Are you fooling yourself,

Are you fooling yourself, fonzie/meph?

If you think you can't be happy in your god without lying for him, yes.

— George Carlin

PimpingWolfwood
atheist
PimpingWolfwood's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie

Fonzie wrote:

PimpingWolfwood, 

No, the problem is the summary is too accurate.  There is much more talk about discussion on this forum than discussion.  This is to hide the fact that atheists don't have anything of substance to offer, especially ones who say they once "believed in God", once "were Christians" then gave up and now try to put a righteous face on that failure. 

Some of discussion is rhetoric - you might want to consider that fact.  For a distraction you attack the word "creation" because you don't have an answer for it.  You don't have anything to discuss, so then you come up with your own version of summary of these posts and add righteous indignation. 

I think the summary is pretty much dead on except I won't imitate your disrespect for God and Jesus even for illustration.

The gospel is truly the best thing that has ever come to mankind, ever.  I have had my eyes opened to the truth of the gospel (good news) of salvation through the atoning death of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God on the cross and His resurrection to an Indestructible Life after 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb.  He had a body when He was resurrected.  Several witnessed that fact and died for their testimony of it.  I was born into Christ through the Spirit and the water of baptism.  I have been born into that resurrection of His and am experiencing the foretaste of eternal life now - while my body and flesh go downhill toward the tomb my spirit is on an uphill climb heading for a new body that fits my saved spirit in Christ. 

I'm secure in Christ.  It's working great for me.  It's a joy to be in fellowship with Him and God and the Holy Spirit.  I'm aware that like many of the participants on this website I could make shipwreck (that's an illustrative rhetoric term with the goal of describing the ruin), shipwreck of my faith and be in a worse state than I was before I was saved from my sins in Christ.  I suppose like those examples of spiritual shipwreck I could then try to put a false "more righteous than Christians" face on that.  But that's a lie.  I am not the enemy for exposing this lie before the concrete is set up (another rhetoric illustration meaning, there's hope). 

No. It's not accurate. You use rhetoric to convince us that you're God is real. That's it. Now, does atheism offer anything? No. No grand afterlife, no God-given rights or morals. But that's irrelevant. I'm not going to believe in Jesus just because it feels good. I'll believe only because I'm convinced of the reality of the religion... And it's just not that convincing.

And no -- creation was an example of the sort of tactic you're using. I couldn't use your own behavior as my example, because I've already covered it half-a-dozen times with you. So I used another that was easily destroyed. It's the same, though. You use tactics that beg the question. You draw doubt to one idea and assert that therefore yours MUST be true, even though you provide not a shred of evidence, real evidence, to prove it so. That's DISINGENUOUS. It's not a debate, at that point. It's you lying to us to convince us of something. That kind of rhetoric shouldn't be part of every conversation.

As for your paragraph that begins, "the gospel is truly," leave it out. That IS NOT the kind of convincing anyone needs here. You can't prove your point by saying, "THE BIBLE IS AWESOME AND JESUS IS AWESOME AND YAY!" That's not evidence for anything.

And your last paragraph literally suggests that everyone who is not a Christian is a spiritual ruin. That. Is. Stupid. I'm glad you can convince yourself that your life was awful without Christ, but I can't. I'm having a damn good life. I don't have some void to be filled. And neither does anyone else. ONLY CHRISTIANS think non-Christians have a hole to be filled. Doesn't that illustrate something?

And there is a difference between disingenuous rhetoric, what I've made clear bothers me, and simple uses of language. I have a feeling you're intelligent enough to know the difference. If you aren't... Well, that's too bad.

Bridge breeding proves evolution false.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
NO FLATTERY

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

PimpingWolfwood, 

No. It's not accurate. You use rhetoric to convince us that you're God is real. That's it. Now, does atheism offer anything? No. No grand afterlife, no God-given rights or morals. But that's irrelevant. I'm not going to believe in Jesus just because it feels good. I'll believe only because I'm convinced of the reality of the religion... And it's just not that convincing.

And no -- creation was an example of the sort of tactic you're using. I couldn't use your own behavior as my example, because I've already covered it half-a-dozen times with you. So I used another that was easily destroyed. It's the same, though. You use tactics that beg the question. You draw doubt to one idea and assert that therefore yours MUST be true, even though you provide not a shred of evidence, real evidence, to prove it so. That's DISINGENUOUS. It's not a debate, at that point. It's you lying to us to convince us of something. That kind of rhetoric shouldn't be part of every conversation.

As for your paragraph that begins, "the gospel is truly," leave it out. That IS NOT the kind of convincing anyone needs here. You can't prove your point by saying, "THE BIBLE IS AWESOME AND JESUS IS AWESOME AND YAY!" That's not evidence for anything.

And your last paragraph literally suggests that everyone who is not a Christian is a spiritual ruin. That. Is. Stupid. I'm glad you can convince yourself that your life was awful without Christ, but I can't. I'm having a damn good life. I don't have some void to be filled. And neither does anyone else. ONLY CHRISTIANS think non-Christians have a hole to be filled. Doesn't that illustrate something?

And there is a difference between disingenuous rhetoric, what I've made clear bothers me, and simple uses of language. I have a feeling you're intelligent enough to know the difference. If you aren't... Well, that's too bad.

PimpingWolfwood,

Say you were deaf - could I use rhetoric to describe music?  If you were  blind - could I use rhetoric to discuss color? 

I have tried to tell you about something that I am experiencing with Christ living in me - along with the Holy Ghost and God, living in me as Jesus promised in the gospel and when you try to tell me it isn't real it's like you are telling me there is no earth, wind or fire.  It is sealed in me.  I am sharing the fact that the gospel is real, the Word of God - the Scriptures - are living and active and the transformation from the dominion of death to the Kingdom of Light is real because I have and am experiencing it. 

The fact that I can't convince you of it no matter what I say doesn't have any bearing on the fact that it is true and real.  I'm not saying this as a rhetorical put-down but trying to get across how real it is - by saying it would be as if I tried to tell you there is no water in the ocean.  You know it's real no matter what I say and I know Christ is real and living in me no matter what you say. 

Now on to your honesty about atheism having nothing to offer - no grand afterlife, no God given rights or morals - I understand your point that you wouldn't give in to pressure to accept a lie just because it had great false promises.  But there is relevance in there somewhere about all this.  Is it logical that you might be missing something in life?  I am confident that you are relevant or you wouldn't be here.

The relevance isn't the crap that is rampant in school teaching these days where flattery is used extensively and from their viewpoint skillfully to lead you down their path and enhance man's desire to worship himself - I'm with you on that manipulative crap.  I hate it.  I'm not trying to do that.  But with the analogy of talking to a deaf person about music you would need to use something he is familiar with to ramp up to music.  That's what Jesus did with parables - trying to get us to consider the spiritual part of us.  For instance the seed parable - I assume you are familiar.  If the seed falls on the path and isn't even given a chance to germinate (birds or rodents eat) it doesn't grow into what it is.  If seed falls among thorns, then it is choked by other things.  If it falls where there is no depth of soil, it springs but doesn't root.  Now if you apply that to the gospel you can see there are several "drop outs" as illustrated here before you - but nevertheless if the seed is given the good soil chance it can become the biggest thing in the garden.  That rhetoric isn't meant to impress but to ramp up.  You can either consider it or let an A. eat it. 

There has to be a little spiritual violence involved in both preaching and accepting the gospel.  This fact is in the Scriptures.  You have to be that serious - and people were irritated about the idea of getting off the throne and hated the truth of the gospel.  But men who were awakened to the fact that it is true - accepted it as hungry men and were prepared if not allowed to die for it. 

The way I understand your last paragraph is that if I was using rhetoric for a deceitful purpose - like, to impress, manipulate or parade a new word that would be disingenuous.  I am confident I'm not trying to impress you - just trying to express the fact that salvation by faith in Christ through obedience to the gospel is real and great.  I know I can't cause that to happen with you myself, but I have confidence God can - again, how He would do that I don't know.  But if the ground is ready - the seed is there.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
PimpingWolfwood wrote:And

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

Oh, he's intelligent enough. Just not honest enough.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Say you were

Fonzie wrote:
Say you were deaf - could I use rhetoric to describe music?  If you were  blind - could I use rhetoric to discuss color?

Perception of musical vibrations happens in the same part of the brain as where sound is processed, so they don't really need your rethoric.

Neither do the blind : Electrical stimulation of the lateral geniculate nucleus will do the trick.

Your analogies aren't just irrelevant, they also don't work.

Fonzie wrote:
I have tried to tell you about something that I am experiencing with Christ living in me - along with the Holy Ghost and God, living in me as Jesus promised in the gospel and when you try to tell me it isn't real it's like you are telling me there is no earth, wind or fire.  It is sealed in me.  I am sharing the fact that the gospel is real, the Word of God - the Scriptures - are living and active and the transformation from the dominion of death to the Kingdom of Light is real because I have and am experiencing it. 

If any of this is even remotely true, then why did you lie to us ?

Fonzie wrote:
The fact that I can't convince you of it no matter what I say doesn't have any bearing on the fact that it is true and real. 

How are you going to convince anyone that "the gospel is true" when you've already been caught lying ? In fact, it could be argued that with your consistently dishonest behaviour, you are actually trying to sabotage all "belief" in god.

Also, nobody is denying that you're feeling better than before. How could you not ? You were suffering from a really bad case of bipolar, and now you're taking medication that actually really does work for you. Try it on god-talk alone, and you'll find it no longer works.

Fonzie wrote:
I'm not saying this as a rhetorical put-down but trying to get across how real it is - by saying it would be as if I tried to tell you there is no water in the ocean.  You know it's real no matter what I say and I know Christ is real and living in me no matter what you say.

No water in the ocean ? So if we dropped you in the middle, you could just walk home ?

Seriously, you're just arguing against yourself again. You're making the case for atheism.

Fonzie wrote:
Now on to your honesty about atheism having nothing to offer - no grand afterlife, no God given rights or morals - I understand your point that you wouldn't give in to pressure to accept a lie just because it had great false promises.  But there is relevance in there somewhere about all this.  Is it logical that you might be missing something in life?  I am confident that you are relevant or you wouldn't be here.

If you want to know why he's here, just ask. Don't make assumptions.

Fonzie wrote:
The relevance isn't the crap that is rampant in school teaching these days where flattery is used extensively and from their viewpoint skillfully to lead you down their path and enhance man's desire to worship himself - I'm with you on that manipulative crap.

Uhm..no, you're not "with him", because he didn't mention anything about "flattery" in "school teaching".

Fonzie wrote:
  I hate it.  I'm not trying to do that.

LOL !! But you just did ! Only one sentence ago !

Fonzie wrote:
But with the analogy of talking to a deaf person about music you would need to use something he is familiar with to ramp up to music.

Nope, you wouldn't. Deaf people can experience music.

Fonzie wrote:
That's what Jesus did with parables - trying to get us to consider the spiritual part of us.  For instance the seed parable - I assume you are familiar.  If the seed falls on the path and isn't even given a chance to germinate (birds or rodents eat) it doesn't grow into what it is.  If seed falls among thorns, then it is choked by other things.  If it falls where there is no depth of soil, it springs but doesn't root.  Now if you apply that to the gospel you can see there are several "drop outs" as illustrated here before you - but nevertheless if the seed is given the good soil chance it can become the biggest thing in the garden.  That rhetoric isn't meant to impress but to ramp up.  You can either consider it or let an A. eat it.

Or he could just consider it, like we all did, and recognise a false analogy.

Fonzie wrote:
There has to be a little spiritual violence involved in both preaching and accepting the gospel.

"Spiritual violence" ? Is that some kind of euphemism for lying ? And did you just admit that you're preaching ?

Fonzie wrote:
This fact is in the Scriptures.  You have to be that serious - and people were irritated about the idea of getting off the throne and hated the truth of the gospel.  But men who were awakened to the fact that it is true - accepted it as hungry men and were prepared if not allowed to die for it.

People also get irritated when they're lied to.

Fonzie wrote:
The way I understand your last paragraph is that if I was using rhetoric for a deceitful purpose - like, to impress, manipulate or parade a new word that would be disingenuous.  I am confident I'm not trying to impress you - just trying to express the fact that salvation by faith in Christ through obedience to the gospel is real and great.  I know I can't cause that to happen with you myself, but I have confidence God can - again, how He would do that I don't know.  But if the ground is ready - the seed is there.

Backing up rethoric with more rethoric. Round and round we go.

"What I'm saying is true, because it's true. The trueness of it is truly truthful. "

PimpingWolfwood
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I hate to do things this

I hate to do things this way, but...

Quote:

I'll repeat myself. Again. There are disingenuous uses of rhetoric. Abusive ones. And then there are constructive abuses, like metaphor. What you use is the abusive kind that relies on fallacious logic. So when I said not to use rhetoric, I assumed you were smart enough to know that I was saying it as someone would say it to a politician (or anyone else who abuses it).

Quote:

The fact that I can't convince you of it no matter what I say doesn't have any bearing on the fact that it is true and real.  I'm not saying this as a rhetorical put-down but trying to get across how real it is - by saying it would be as if I tried to tell you there is no water in the ocean.  You know it's real no matter what I say and I know Christ is real and living in me no matter what you say.

Telling someone that Jesus is totally awesome and you live a good life because of him is great, but not enough to convince the kind of people on these forums. It's a valid argument, but not an effective one. And no. I don't know Christ is real. If I did, I wouldn't have any issues. To me, you're like some crack-head off the streets trying to convince me that aliens are real. And THAT'S why I have so much trouble believing you.

Quote:

The relevance isn't the crap that is rampant in school teaching these days where flattery is used extensively and from their viewpoint skillfully to lead you down their path and enhance man's desire to worship himself - I'm with you on that manipulative crap.  I hate it.  I'm not trying to do that.  But with the analogy of talking to a deaf person about music you would need to use something he is familiar with to ramp up to music.  That's what Jesus did with parables - trying to get us to consider the spiritual part of us.  For instance the seed parable - I assume you are familiar.  If the seed falls on the path and isn't even given a chance to germinate (birds or rodents eat) it doesn't grow into what it is.  If seed falls among thorns, then it is choked by other things.  If it falls where there is no depth of soil, it springs but doesn't root.  Now if you apply that to the gospel you can see there are several "drop outs" as illustrated here before you - but nevertheless if the seed is given the good soil chance it can become the biggest thing in the garden.  That rhetoric isn't meant to impress but to ramp up.  You can either consider it or let an A. eat it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Say it more plainly.

Quote:
There has to be a little spiritual violence involved in both preaching and accepting the gospel.  This fact is in the Scriptures.  You have to be that serious - and people were irritated about the idea of getting off the throne and hated the truth of the gospel.  But men who were awakened to the fact that it is true - accepted it as hungry men and were prepared if not allowed to die for it. 

Prove the fact is in the scriptures.

And you do use rhetoric deceitfully. That's what I've been saying for 15 posts now. When you try to tell someone that their beliefs are wrong and thus yours must be right, that's an 'either-or fallacy.' You're using fallacious reasoning.

Bridge breeding proves evolution false.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
PimpingWolfwood wrote:I'll

PimpingWolfwood wrote:
I'll repeat myself. Again.

I propose a drinking game. Every time someone who's trying to talk to "Fonzie" uses the words "repeat", or "again", we consume an alcoholic beverage.

See you guys in the hospital.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

I propose a drinking game. Every time someone who's trying to talk to "Fonzie" uses the words "repeat", or "again", we consume an alcoholic beverage.

I'm too close to 50 to play this without winding up pre-embalmed in the morgue.

Besides, there are too many asses left in which I can be a pain.

— George Carlin

PimpingWolfwood
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Alright. You two win. Fonzie

Alright. You two win. Fonzie is an unforgivably stupid little troll. 

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
SOIL, MUSIC, SEED AND VIOLENCE

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

Quote:

I'll repeat myself. Again. There are disingenuous uses of rhetoric. Abusive ones. And then there are constructive abuses, like metaphor. What you use is the abusive kind that relies on fallacious logic. So when I said not to use rhetoric, I assumed you were smart enough to know that I was saying it as someone would say it to a politician (or anyone else who abuses it).

Quote:

Telling someone that Jesus is totally awesome and you live a good life because of him is great, but not enough to convince the kind of people on these forums. It's a valid argument, but not an effective one. And no. I don't know Christ is real. If I did, I wouldn't have any issues. To me, you're like some crack-head off the streets trying to convince me that aliens are real. And THAT'S why I have so much trouble believing you.

Quote:

Quote:

And you do use rhetoric deceitfully. That's what I've been saying for 15 posts now. When you try to tell someone that their beliefs are wrong and thus yours must be right, that's an 'either-or fallacy.' You're using fallacious reasoning.

PimpingWolfwood,

The logic about the problem of describing music to the deaf and color to the blind is this:  When man sinned he died spiritually.  Man lost spiritual life.  Unless God brings you to yourself and opens your eyes spiritually you can't discern spiritual things.  Man can invent a telescope and microscope to open his eyes to the stars and the atom but man can't open his own eyes to spiritual things.  That miracle comes from God.  It pleases God to do it through the preaching of the gospel of Christ - to Christ's glory not man's.  Misplaced glory is a big problem for men.

Taking the kingdom of heaven by violence? - "From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence and men of violence take it by force." (Matthew 11.12 RSV)  There is a spiritual war going on and the Scriptures say if we "shrink back" God takes no pleasure in us.  Paul said he "doesn't box like beating the air" - he aims to land the punch. 

How do you know when you land a punch?  After one of Jesus' sermons they took him out planning to throw Him off a cliff.  After Steven's gospel sermon they "came forward" and stoned him.  The way some are carrying on here.....bull's eye.  But we don't hear the Word of God to judge it - it judges us. 

The seed parable more plainly?    There's nothing wrong with the seed - the question is the soil.  The seed is the gospel.  You, me, Anonymouse, JcGadfly, et al are the soil.  There is the aspect of pulling weeds.  And plowing.  And time.  And harvest - where chaff is separated from wheat. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:PimpingWolfwood

Fonzie wrote:

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PimpingWolfwood,

The logic about the problem of describing music to the deaf and color to the blind is this:  When man sinned he died spiritually.  Man lost spiritual life.  Unless God brings you to yourself and opens your eyes spiritually you can't discern spiritual things.  Man can invent a telescope and microscope to open his eyes to the stars and the atom but man can't open his own eyes to spiritual things.  That miracle comes from God.  It pleases God to do it through the preaching of the gospel of Christ - to Christ's glory not man's.  Misplaced glory is a big problem for men.

Taking the kingdom of heaven by violence? - "From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence and men of violence take it by force." (Matthew 11.12 RSV)  There is a spiritual war going on and the Scriptures say if we "shrink back" God takes no pleasure in us.  Paul said he "doesn't box like beating the air" - he aims to land the punch. 

How do you know when you land a punch?  After one of Jesus' sermons they took him out planning to throw Him off a cliff.  After Steven's gospel sermon they "came forward" and stoned him.  The way some are carrying on here.....bull's eye.  But we don't hear the Word of God to judge it - it judges us. 

The seed parable more plainly?    There's nothing wrong with the seed - the question is the soil.  The seed is the gospel.  You, me, Anonymouse, JcGadfly, et al are the soil.  There is the aspect of pulling weeds.  And plowing.  And time.  And harvest - where chaff is separated from wheat. 

When man sinned he died spiritually. God set man up to sin.

Fonzie/Meph just admitted God is an epic serial killer.

You need to take boxing lessons from Paul. All you are doing is shadow boxing - the shadows are winning.

— George Carlin

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
(Poe)

Fonzie wrote:

The logic about the problem of describing music to the deaf and color to the blind is this...

Fonzie,

It pains me to see you would speak of logic and deafness/blindness, when you are blind and deaf to the lack of logic in your own statements:

Quote:
...you refuse still to answer simple 'a' or 'b' questions, namely:  Did you create the "what faith you" thread?  That would be the thread titled "what faith you"; created by the user named "mephibosheth" on September 6, 2007 - 5:57pm,  and which can be found here.

If you will not respond to the simplest of questions in a forthright manner, it is fruitless to open further discussion.

Please remove your rancid christ-cancer from my presence.  Dishonesty and intellectual cowardice does not work for me.

Verily, I believe you warrant no further attention before you respond clearly to this simple 'a' or 'b' question

πππ†
π†††

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

PimpingWolfwood wrote:

That did it. I'm in.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
    There has to be a

Violence, hmm. I'm not a fan of violence. Do you think people are going to believe in your god/ jesus when you associate him with violence?

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:The logic about

Fonzie wrote:

No, that's not logic, that's just another story. There's a difference. I also already explained why there's no problem desribing music to the deaf or color to the blind.

Didn't he just ask you to stop using fallacious logic ?

Nice to see it's not just me you ignore.

Fonzie wrote:

How do you know when you land a punch?  After one of Jesus' sermons they took him out planning to throw Him off a cliff.  After Steven's gospel sermon they "came forward" and stoned him.

Well, if religious succes is measured by how badly you piss people off, then you have just declared pedophiles to be the most successful christians in history.

Fonzie wrote:
The way some are carrying on here.....bull's eye.

Yeah, those silly people, demanding answers to questions you've been ignoring for years, asking you to stick to answers you already gave, politely asking you to stop threatening and insulting them,....

Yeah, that's totally like stoning somebody.

You poor, brave persecuted religious person, you.

Fonzie wrote:
But we don't hear the Word of God to judge it - it judges us.

Nope, words can't judge. Only people can do that. Again, try to wean yourself off the fallacious logic.

(aw crap, I said "again" )

Fonzie wrote:
The seed parable more plainly? 

No, I'm pretty sure he wanted you to express your thoughts without resorting to telling stories.

Or actually adress what he was saying.

(I think he's figured out that's not going to happen)

Fonzie wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the seed - the question is the soil.  The seed is the gospel.  You, me, Anonymouse, JcGadfly, et al are the soil.  There is the aspect of pulling weeds.  And plowing.  And time.  And harvest - where chaff is separated from wheat.

Yes, that's agriculture for you.

(Sorry, but as a parable, it fails just as badly as all your metaphors and analogies. Why ? Because the seed might just as well be "honesty", which fails to grow in your dishonest soil)

Oh look, you completely ignored what he said last. I guess the word "Proof" made you go temporarily blind.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
SPIRITUAL VIOLENCE

rebecca.williamson wrote:

Violence, hmm. I'm not a fan of violence. Do you think people are going to believe in your god/ jesus when you associate him with violence?

Rebecca,

It's written,  "For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

As far as what I think about people's reaction to the truth in general or in this case a spiritual war going on is irrelevant.  I don't judge the Word of God - It judges me.  Whether or not you believe the fact that there is a spiritual war going on doesn't change the fact that there is.  You just leave yourself defenseless if you deny yourself the armor of God in Christ. 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:It's written, 

Fonzie wrote:
It's written,  "For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

Is it written somewhere "But lying is okay" ? If not, then it seems you're working for the other side.

Fonzie wrote:
As far as what I think about people's reaction to the truth in general or in this case a spiritual war going on is irrelevant.

But you don't have "the truth". You already demonstrated that by lying to us.

Fonzie wrote:
I don't judge the Word of God - It judges me. 

No, again, words can't judge people. And by proclaiming something "the word of god" you have indeed "judged" it.

Fonzie wrote:
Whether or not you believe the fact that there is a spiritual war going on doesn't change the fact that there is.

You keep arguing against yourself. Saying there is, also doesn't mean that there really is one. Again, please wean yourself off the fallacious logic.

Fonzie wrote:
You just leave yourself defenseless if you deny yourself the armor of God in Christ.

You're telling someone they're "defenseless" if they don't accept everything you say without proof or evidence, and on top of that, you want them to ignore evidence that you're a liar.

You need to look up the word "defenseless".

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie

Fonzie wrote:

Rebecca,

As far as what I think about people's reaction to the truth in general or in this case a spiritual war going on is irrelevant.  I don't judge the Word of God - It judges me.  Whether or not you believe the fact that there is a spiritual war going on doesn't change the fact that there is.  You just leave yourself defenseless if you deny yourself the armor of God in Christ. 

What people think about the "spiritual war going on" is indeed relevant. Especially when those who believe as you do are starting the war. Christians want the Jews just as dead as the Muslims - they just can't admit it yet.

Do you remember when you vehemently denied my claim that you are wanting to sit up in Heaven with god and masturbate while watching all the people being tortured in hell? When you write stuff like this, I put less stock in your denials.

It's far more likely that you'll have more concern that I typed the word "masturbate".

— George Carlin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
QUEEN OF SILENCE

Yeah I've been reading here and there over the last couple of months just never put anything into it. It's always at the top when I log. Apparently I just couldn't ignore it anymore but anyway I am queen of smartassness so he'll probably ignore me anyway lol.

Queen Rebecca,

One time Jesus said to the Jews who were persecuting Him because He healed on the Sabbath (and challenged their relevance) - "How can you believe who receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God"? 

This principle is alive and working well here on this website.  See how you all fall in line and walk in lock step to get the "amens" from the atheist congregation.  God hasn't ask for faith in Jesus anyone here is not capable of but your focus on pleasing men won't allow you to even plow, plant, grow and consider it. 

Your impression of me was that I would ignore you - instead that appears to be your own problem.  You have your impressions of God, Scripture and walking by faith - could those be wrong as well? 

I haven't seen any atheist say anything here that challenged another atheist's position but I've seen a lot of toadying.  It's a great thing Jesus and God do challenging, disciplining and testing us.  It's healthy.  It's refining.  But if you don't have any metal in you you wouldn't be worth heating up, would you?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie

Fonzie wrote:

Yeah I've been reading here and there over the last couple of months just never put anything into it. It's always at the top when I log. Apparently I just couldn't ignore it anymore but anyway I am queen of smartassness so he'll probably ignore me anyway lol.

Queen Rebecca,

One time Jesus said to the Jews who were persecuting Him because He healed on the Sabbath (and challenged their relevance) - "How can you believe who receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God"? 

This principle is alive and working well here on this website.  See how you all fall in line and walk in lock step to get the "amens" from the atheist congregation.  God hasn't ask for faith in Jesus anyone here is not capable of but your focus on pleasing men won't allow you to even plow, plant, grow and consider it. 

Your impression of me was that I would ignore you - instead that appears to be your own problem.  You have your impressions of God, Scripture and walking by faith - could those be wrong as well? 

I haven't seen any atheist say anything here that challenged another atheist's position but I've seen a lot of toadying.  It's a great thing Jesus and God do challenging, disciplining and testing us.  It's healthy.  It's refining.  But if you don't have any metal in you you wouldn't be worth heating up, would you?

On this thread, no.

We pretty much agree that you're bat guano insane and a lying coward..

If you've read other threads, you'd notice plenty of disagreement. Maybe you should read more and preach less.

— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Queen

Fonzie wrote:
Queen Rebecca,

Are you telling us you don't approve of jews ? Why not ?

Fonzie wrote:
This principle is alive and working well here on this website. 

Oh, I get it. You're making one of your false analogies, trying to divert attention from the fact that you've been caught lying to us, hoping someone will take offense and give you enough text to digress into infinity once again.

Sorry, not gonna happen.

Fonzie wrote:
See how you all fall in line and walk in lock step to get the "amens" from the atheist congregation. 

Well, it's actually quite impossible to see something that isn't happening, so no.

In fact, her and Wolfwood even talking to you proves that they were quite willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, no matter what anyone said, no matter what already happened in your threads.

You were given your 1000+ plus chance, and you blew it again.

Don't worry, though, I'm sure there will be others.

Fonzie wrote:
God hasn't ask for faith in Jesus anyone here is not capable of but your focus on pleasing men won't allow you to even plow, plant, grow and consider it.

"your focus on pleasing men" ???? Your baiting tactics haven't grown more subtle over the years, have they ?

Fonzie wrote:

No worries, I already told her you tend to go for the new people whenever you're trying to avoid a question. Looks like my impression of you was right.

By your logic, that means my impressions of god, scripture and walking by faith are right as well.

As always, you argue against yourself.

Fonzie wrote:
I haven't seen any atheist say anything here that challenged another atheist's position but I've seen a lot of toadying.

Can't you read ? Or are you struck blind every time you almost read something that doesn't fit your idea of what an atheist should be ?

You have just admitted that you never even browsed the other threads on this forum, and yet you keep making all kinds of general declarations about it's contents and all the posters here.

Seriously, how dishonest can you get ?

Fonzie wrote:
  It's a great thing Jesus and God do challenging, disciplining and testing us.  It's healthy.  It's refining.  But if you don't have any metal in you you wouldn't be worth heating up, would you?

Does jesus value honesty at all, or is that just for the unbelievers ?

Why did you lie to us ?

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Craving someone's attention

Fonzie, first I'm going to ask what exactly do you mean by " your focus on pleasing men ". I'm not here to please anyone. I have one life and I choose to live it and enjoy it. Not live it in fear of some " god " not liking what choices I make in MY life. There are too many contradictions in your beloved bible for me to be able to belive in your master that has his ball and chain around your neck. So don't preach to me. I don't appreciate it and it's rude of you. I don't try to get you to become an atheist. I don't mind the quoting of bible scripture but to tell me I'm defenceless is rude considering that you know I am not a believer. If I wanted to hear that I would go to church.

Next, I apparently don't have as much free time as yourself to spend every waking moment debating with you. Unlike you I do randomly check other threads so if you're feeling ignored that's your problem. I don't wake up every morning to log in to see what Fonzie has said now. Not to mention, you really haven't said anything worth addressing until your last post to me. So calm down and undertand that I will respond when I see fit to and to what I see fit to.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

Fonzie, first I'm going to ask what exactly do you mean by " your focus on pleasing men ".

Oh, that was just baiting. He knew that would get a reaction out of you.

I'm not here to please anyone. I have one life and I choose to live it and enjoy it. Not live it in fear of some " god " not liking what choices I make in MY life. There are too many contradictions in your beloved bible for me to be able to belive in your master that has his ball and chain around your neck. So don't preach to me. I don't appreciate it and it's rude of you. I don't try to get you to become an atheist. I don't mind the quoting of bible scripture but to tell me I'm defenceless is rude considering that you know I am not a believer. If I wanted to hear that I would go to church. Next, I apparently don't have as much free time as yourself to spend every waking moment debating with you. Unlike you I do randomly check other threads so if you're feeling ignored that's your problem. I don't wake up every morning to log in to see what Fonzie has said now. Not to mention, you really haven't said anything worth addressing until your last post to me. So calm down and undertand that I will respond when I see fit to and to what I see fit to.

Get ready to have your socks preached off.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

Fonzie, first I'm going to ask what exactly do you mean by " your focus on pleasing men ".

Oh, that was just baiting. He knew that would get a reaction out of you.

I'm not here to please anyone. I have one life and I choose to live it and enjoy it. Not live it in fear of some " god " not liking what choices I make in MY life. There are too many contradictions in your beloved bible for me to be able to belive in your master that has his ball and chain around your neck. So don't preach to me. I don't appreciate it and it's rude of you. I don't try to get you to become an atheist. I don't mind the quoting of bible scripture but to tell me I'm defenceless is rude considering that you know I am not a believer. If I wanted to hear that I would go to church. Next, I apparently don't have as much free time as yourself to spend every waking moment debating with you. Unlike you I do randomly check other threads so if you're feeling ignored that's your problem. I don't wake up every morning to log in to see what Fonzie has said now. Not to mention, you really haven't said anything worth addressing until your last post to me. So calm down and undertand that I will respond when I see fit to and to what I see fit to.

Get ready to have your socks preached off.

Nothing quite so much fun as being preached at by someone who knows less Bible than you.

— George Carlin

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
(Poe)

Fonzie wrote:

Fonzie,

The prevailing impression of you has been developed and reinforced through your numerous refusals to respond to simple questions.  The impression of your non-existent god that you thereby convey is of ignorance and dishonesty.  Is it your impression that those be wrong?

Fonzie wrote:

By all indications, mercury is the primary metal in you, which in dangerously high amounts affects your ability to focus and distinguish truth from lies.

Fonzie, 

Quote:

πππ†
π†††

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Fonzie, I am late to this

Fonzie, I am late to this argument and it has been going on for a long time.

Evidence is not based on tradition, appeal to emotion, or even popular belief, or appeal to authority. Evidence is when you can replicate something and falsify it and have outsiders also replicate it and falsify it independently of your own personal bias.

We know that it takes TWO sets of DNA to manifest into a zygote to later manifest into a baby. "God did it" is a naked assertion. a presumption, not fact. It does not explain HOW  virgin could be born without a second set of DNA. It explains nothing about the mechanisms of HOW this alleged birth happened.

And conversely, science has proven that rigor mortis is not, nor ever will be, survivable, which makes the death of the alleged Jesus character absurd.

"God did it" is a claim

Just like "Thor did it" is a claim

Just like "Allah did it" is a claim

None of those claims are testable or falsifiable.

We do have, on the other hand, plenty of evidence that humans make up deities that are not real.

Others here may entertain you on your particular brand of Jesus worship, but that still does nothing to even remotely make the claim of ANY invisible magical super brain with magical super powers real, by any name.

You could claim that you have an invisible snarfwidget as a magical disembodied brain as your super hero and your lack of evidence would still be as glaring.

Maybe you need to consider that you are wrong instead of insisting you have evidence for your magical Jesus character.

If any god claim were real, then it would be taught right next to the theory of gravity and entropy. It is not for very good reason. Because humans are capable of making up fiction and falsely believing that fiction to be fact. Science is the only test that is universal that ALL humans can use to filter out garbage.

Fonzie, the bottom line for why I reject ALL god claims is simple. Thoughts require a material process. Since that is scientific fact, there is absolutely no way, at least by current knowledge, that a god can logically exist. So unless you are willing to scrap your old concepts and find a working model of a "god" that is testable and falsifiable, I think the much more rational position is that people like the idea of a super hero, so they invent these placebos as a place card for their own ignorance.

There are lots of other god claims you reject. I am giving you the ONLY rational reason to reject, not only the ones you reject, but your own as well.

Thoughts require material. There is no such thing, by any name, past or present, as a non-material being that can think without material .

The Jesus character is believed in for the same reason the Ancient Egyptians falsely believed the sun was a god, they wanted to believe that, and they didn't know any better at the time. At least with the Egyptians, they had material to point at in the sun, even though they were wrong, it is still more than the daddy of Jesus can be proven to have.

Saying that Jesus existed proves nothing, even if I agreed he existed, which I dont.

I can prove that George Washington existed, but I damn sure wouldn't claim he was the son of a pixy, or Allah or Thor, nor would I claim he could preform magic tricks.

I find your persistence here very enduring and to me that is a good sign that we are getting to you. I only hope you give up on your myth before your life is over. Reality is much more refreshing than a fairy tale.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Fonzie, I am

Brian37 wrote:
Fonzie, I am late to this argument

Are you sure ?

Where you in this one  ? : http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/9886

Same guy.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
YOU REJECT, I FIRMLY ACCEPT AND RECOMMEND

Brian37 wrote:

Evidence is not based on tradition, appeal to emotion, or even popular belief, or appeal to authority. Evidence is when you can replicate something and falsify it and have outsiders also replicate it and falsify it independently of your own personal bias.

We know that it takes TWO sets of DNA to manifest into a zygote to later manifest into a baby. "God did it" is a naked assertion. a presumption, not fact. It does not explain HOW  virgin could be born without a second set of DNA. It explains nothing about the mechanisms of HOW this alleged birth happened.

And conversely, science has proven that rigor mortis is not, nor ever will be, survivable, which makes the death of the alleged Jesus character absurd.

"God did it" is a claim

We do have, on the other hand, plenty of evidence that humans make up deities that are not real.

Others here may entertain you on your particular brand of Jesus worship, but that still does nothing to even remotely make the claim of ANY invisible magical super brain with magical super powers real, by any name.

You could claim that you have an invisible snarfwidget as a magical disembodied brain as your super hero and your lack of evidence would still be as glaring.

Maybe you need to consider that you are wrong instead of insisting you have evidence for your magical Jesus character.

If any god claim were real, then it would be taught right next to the theory of gravity and entropy. It is not for very good reason. Because humans are capable of making up fiction and falsely believing that fiction to be fact. Science is the only test that is universal that ALL humans can use to filter out garbage.

Fonzie, the bottom line for why I reject ALL god claims is simple. Thoughts require a material process. Since that is scientific fact, there is absolutely no way, at least by current knowledge, that a god can logically exist. So unless you are willing to scrap your old concepts and find a working model of a "god" that is testable and falsifiable, I think the much more rational position is that people like the idea of a super hero, so they invent these placebos as a place card for their own ignorance.

There are lots of other god claims you reject. I am giving you the ONLY rational reason to reject, not only the ones you reject, but your own as well.

Thoughts require material. There is no such thing, by any name, past or present, as a non-material being that can think without material .

The Jesus character is believed in for the same reason the Ancient Egyptians falsely believed the sun was a god, they wanted to believe that, and they didn't know any better at the time. At least with the Egyptians, they had material to point at in the sun, even though they were wrong, it is still more than the daddy of Jesus can be proven to have.

Saying that Jesus existed proves nothing, even if I agreed he existed, which I dont.

I can prove that George Washington existed, but I damn sure wouldn't claim he was the son of a pixy, or Allah or Thor, nor would I claim he could preform magic tricks.

I find your persistence here very enduring and to me that is a good sign that we are getting to you. I only hope you give up on your myth before your life is over. Reality is much more refreshing than a fairy tale.

Brian,

I do want to thank you for your expression of your view which shows a lot more hospitality than I have become used to even though I don't buy any of it. 

You have an impression of how one would come to full assurance of faith in God by some sort of scientific proof or reasoning but you are wrong in your impression.  My faith has come from hearing the Word of God and has been accompanied by both living examples, same experiences of other Christians, and my personal experience with the Living Christ. 

From the base of knowing Christ, the living Word and studying the Written Word I do see evidence of God's wisdom and glory in all creation.  True there are examples of what evil has done - but those are in the Scriptures too. 

You are probably aware the Bible doesn't try to prove the existence of God - it assumes God and the reader's faith from the start.  The Bible is a miraculous book, producing the faith God desires.  It is described as "living and active, sharper than any two edged sword, piercing to the division of bone and marrow, discerning the intentions of the heart".  I have read that and experience that.  But from the outside in you have your impression as an obstacle to investing a serious amount of time studying the Bible? 

Yes, in your life you can pick your beer, pick a wife, and pick your God, and it's true there are several claims of deity.  I have no doubt about the God of Israel, the God of Jesus and the gospel, salvation by grace, justification by faith, the new birth into the living Christ, becoming a part of His body, the church, sealed with the indwelling Holy Spirit.  It's great and I recommend it but I am not required to prove it - only preach it and live it. 

Which brings up another point.  You atheists are preaching your nothingness just like I am preaching Christ and Him crucified.  I know it's just part of the word game. 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:I do want to

Fonzie wrote:
I do want to thank you for your expression of your view which shows a lot more hospitality than I have become used to even though I don't buy any of it.

You've been allowed to lie to us for years, and break every rule this forum ever had.

Hospitality ? More like you were given the keys of this place and allowed to redecorate.

Fonzie wrote:
You have an impression of how one would come to full assurance of faith in God by some sort of scientific proof or reasoning but you are wrong in your impression.

Is he ? No doubt you can back up this assertion without resorting to the same old circular argument.

Fonzie wrote:
  My faith has come from hearing the Word of God and has been accompanied by both living examples, same experiences of other Christians, and my personal experience with the Living Christ. 

From the base of knowing Christ, the living Word and studying the Written Word I do see evidence of God's wisdom and glory in all creation.  True there are examples of what evil has done - but those are in the Scriptures too. 

You are probably aware the Bible doesn't try to prove the existence of God - it assumes God and the reader's faith from the start.  The Bible is a miraculous book, producing the faith God desires.  It is described as "living and active, sharper than any two edged sword, piercing to the division of bone and marrow, discerning the intentions of the heart".  I have read that and experience that.

It would seem that you can't. My bad for getting my hopes up.

Fonzie wrote:
But from the outside in you have your impression as an obstacle to investing a serious amount of time studying the Bible? 

Nope. Studying came first. Then came the impression.

Fonzie wrote:
Yes, in your life you can pick your beer, pick a wife, and pick your God, and it's true there are several claims of deity.  I have no doubt about the God of Israel, the God of Jesus and the gospel, salvation by grace, justification by faith, the new birth into the living Christ, becoming a part of His body, the church, sealed with the indwelling Holy Spirit.  It's great and I recommend it but I am not required to prove it - only preach it and live it.

You're just admitting that you're preaching now ? Yup, he owns the place, alright. Screw the rules, I have faith !

Oh btw, "Fonzie", you forgot to actually adress the point he was making. (Only joking ! You don't have to do that ! Who cares, right ? )

Fonzie wrote:
Which brings up another point.  You atheists are preaching your nothingness just like I am preaching Christ and Him crucified.

Humanity is nothingness ? You learn something new every day.

Fonzie wrote:
I know it's just part of the word game.

Says the man who still hasn't decided what the word "yes" means.

@Brian: If you really haven't spoken to this guy before in any of his threads......*sigh*...okay, enjoy if you must.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE RENT-A-MOB

Brian37 wrote:

"God did it" is a claim

Brian37,

In order to apply for entrance to the school of faith in God first there would need to be some desire at least.  Then you would need to make some move on your own which you might view as a gamble that God will reward you seeking Him.  You could make a venture of reading a book of the Bible - say Ecclesiastes - and think about it.  It would take you probably an hour to carefully read then just think about it off and on for a week and decide if it's true. 

The guys on this forum who seem intent on putting down faith in Christ are like people who decide they want to play the piano - this week!  Then when they can't - they give up.  And in this case they are critical of those walking in the road of faith, standing along the side like Shimei, cursing and throwing rocks at David as he was leaving Jerusalem. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "Defenseless" Rebecca

Fonzie, first I'm going to ask what exactly do you mean by " your focus on pleasing men ". I'm not here to please anyone. I have one life and I choose to live it and enjoy it. Not live it in fear of some " god " not liking what choices I make in MY life. There are too many contradictions in your beloved bible for me to be able to belive in your master that has his ball and chain around your neck. So don't preach to me. I don't appreciate it and it's rude of you. I don't try to get you to become an atheist. I don't mind the quoting of bible scripture but to tell me I'm defenceless is rude considering that you know I am not a believer. If I wanted to hear that I would go to church. Next, I apparently don't have as much free time as yourself to spend every waking moment debating with you. Unlike you I do randomly check other threads so if you're feeling ignored that's your problem. I don't wake up every morning to log in to see what Fonzie has said now. Not to mention, you really haven't said anything worth addressing until your last post to me. So calm down and undertand that I will respond when I see fit to and to what I see fit to.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Brian37

Fonzie wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

"God did it" is a claim

Brian37,

In order to apply for entrance to the school of faith in God first there would need to be some desire at least.  Then you would need to make some move on your own which you might view as a gamble that God will reward you seeking Him.  You could make a venture of reading a book of the Bible - say Ecclesiastes - and think about it.  It would take you probably an hour to carefully read then just think about it off and on for a week and decide if it's true. 

The guys on this forum who seem intent on putting down faith in Christ are like people who decide they want to play the piano - this week!  Then when they can't - they give up.  And in this case they are critical of those walking in the road of faith, standing along the side like Shimei, cursing and throwing rocks at David as he was leaving Jerusalem. 

So.

1. You believe that the magic man really does magic.

2. you believe the magic man will do magic for you.

3. You pay the magic man for your trick.

4. He performs for you.

5. You're happy forever?

Fonzie/meph, why would we put down your faith in God? You haven't exhibited any.

Why do you want Brian to read and understand a book you haven't done wither with? Why do you assume he hasn't?

I'd ask if you remembered this but I doubt you've read it.

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
      Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do."

— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Uhm...Why are you replying

Uhm...Why are you replying twice to the same post ? Are you scared Brian won't talk to you, and you'll be left all alone with the scary questions you've been running from for years ?

Fonzie wrote:

Actually, that's how people become atheists.

Fonzie wrote:
The guys on this forum who seem intent on putting down faith in Christ

If there's one guy in this thread who's trying his darndest to do just that, then it's you, I'm afraid.

The rest of us are just trying to get an honest answer out of you. Not sure how that "puts down" faith.

Fonzie wrote:
are like people who decide they want to play the piano - this week!  Then when they can't - they give up.

Excuse me, but have you read any post in this thread alone ? Any at all ? Then how can you even say that ?

You know, sometimes your dishonesty just gives me a headache. It's just so unbelievably crass.

Fonzie wrote:
  And in this case they are critical of those walking in the road of faith, standing along the side like Shimei, cursing and throwing rocks at David as he was leaving Jerusalem.

Can I be critical of liars without being accused of "cursing and throwing stones" ?

Can I, please ?

Is that allowed ?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I don't know. I threw up

I don't know. I threw up some Bible at him.

That scares him for a while.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I don't know.

jcgadfly wrote:

I don't know. I threw up some Bible at him.

That scares him for a while.

Certain bits of the bible do seem like pure kryptonite to his superfaith.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
REBECCA'S WORLD

Fonzie, first I'm going to ask what exactly do you mean by " your focus on pleasing men ". I'm not here to please anyone. I have one life and I choose to live it and enjoy it. Not live it in fear of some " god " not liking what choices I make in MY life. There are too many contradictions in your beloved bible for me to be able to belive in your master that has his ball and chain around your neck. So don't preach to me. I don't appreciate it and it's rude of you. I don't try to get you to become an atheist. I don't mind the quoting of bible scripture but to tell me I'm defenceless is rude considering that you know I am not a believer. If I wanted to hear that I would go to church. Next, I apparently don't have as much free time as yourself to spend every waking moment debating with you. Unlike you I do randomly check other threads so if you're feeling ignored that's your problem. I don't wake up every morning to log in to see what Fonzie has said now. Not to mention, you really haven't said anything worth addressing until your last post to me. So calm down and undertand that I will respond when I see fit to and to what I see fit to.

Queen Rebecca,         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT4wOkAyi5Q

You answered your own focus question:     with pleasing yourself, your choice, butt out of my world, etc.  If I tell you something you don't tell yourself it may be true (considering there is surely something you don't know that is indeed true) but... it's rude.  It can't be friendly fire.  It's a foreign idea. 

So if somebody came along and skillfully accommodated your affection for yourself you might be vulnerable to such flattery - but not to the truth that you are spiritually defenseless before Satan without God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit - that's no admission in your man pleasing focus arena of "you" though it's totally true. 

Such is pride - a false state held up and suspended with fresh air.  The Devil likes to keep people that way, locked in away from a chance meeting up with the gospel of Jesus Christ and the power of His resurrection.   Humility, however, (seeing things as they are), seeing man's true state/ man's constant need of God - is real (also a learning position).  

Let me ask you Rebecca:  Have you ever been told or shown something in your life that you didn't appreciate or like maybe thought it was rude - but later it turned out to be useful and true?  

BTW, I'm calm, also I'm not one who lives on this forum.  I think it's obvious who they are.......... (coming soon)

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote: Satan without

Fonzie wrote:

Satan without God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit

You ever seen any of these guys? Quite an imagination you have.

People are still trying to talk to you, it's sad! I don't think anything else can be said that will make you think or even imagine reality, indeed too much has been said already, whipping a dead horse and in this case the horse has been dead for so long the whip is all used up.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Queen

Fonzie wrote:

You answered your own focus question:     with pleasing yourself, your choice, butt out of my world, etc.  If I tell you something you don't tell yourself it may be true (considering there is surely something you don't know that is indeed true) but... it's rude.  It can't be friendly fire.  It's a foreign idea. 

So if somebody came along and skillfully accommodated your affection for yourself you might be vulnerable to such flattery - but not to the truth that you are spiritually defenseless before Satan without God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit - that's no admission in your man pleasing focus arena of "you" though it's totally true. 

Such is pride - a false state held up and suspended with fresh air.  The Devil likes to keep people that way, locked in away from a chance meeting up with the gospel of Jesus Christ and the power of His resurrection.   Humility, however, (seeing things as they are), seeing man's true state/ man's constant need of God - is real (also a learning position).   

You never stop to think, do you ?  Does your arrogance not even allow you to consider the possibillity that there may just be more people in her life than herself ?

And you talk to her about pride ??????

Rude ? Dude, you have no idea just how rude you've been right now, and it's obvious you couldn't care less. Read some of her posts outside of this thread, learn a few facts about her life , and then, if you have an ounce of decency in you, feel very, very ashamed of yourself.

This is how you want to keep your conversation going ? Just throw insults at people, and if they react, it's cause it's all "true" ?

That's like going out and punching people, and if they say "ouch", you think that means they deserve it.

Fonzie wrote:
Let me ask you Rebecca:  Have you ever been told or shown something in your life that you didn't appreciate or like maybe thought it was rude - but later it turned out to be useful and true? 

Yup. It was atheism.

Fonzie wrote:
BTW, I'm calm, also I'm not one who lives on this forum.  I think it's obvious who they are.......... (coming soon)

It is indeed obvious. Just add up the posts you have now to the posts of your previous incarnation, devide by the number of days you've been here, and hey look, you DO live on this forum.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Groan

Fonzie wrote:

You may not live on the entire forum, Fonzie but you surely dwell on this majestic thread. Fascinating to think that the godly have re-defined personal honesty as satan-induced pride. I guess we should not be surprised.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
2000 posts on this thread

Who would have believed it possible?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: Who

Atheistextremist wrote:

Me.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Me.

He does have some doubt or he would not be here riding his hamster wheel. But arguing with him only bolsters his mindset, he is like a hamster on a wheel and the faster he can run the faster the wheel will turn, he can never stop or  the wheel may also stop.

So again I dare everyone to stop responding to his wild fantasy claims.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin