It works for me!

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
It works for me!

Faith in Jesus works for me - it's exciting.  I love the Bible and believe all of it - though there is mystery.  There is mystery everywhere though, right?  I am a incredibly happy believer in Jesus.  I'm not a theologian, I just believe in Jesus.

I understand you can't make anybody believe in Jesus and the Bible, and I don't personally try to do that.  But I highly recommend it from my experience with it.  I can't get enough of the Bible or Jesus.  I can't imagine trying to navigate through life without it at this point in my life. 

I don't think Jesus or God is a thing you can prove to somebody.  I heard about it a large percentage of my life and it didn't mean anything to me until a certain point - then that all changed. 

So do you guys think that I'm fooling myself, not really happy, you don't believe me, or do you really think I can't be as happy or enlightened as you - are you evangelistic in that sense or what?  What is the purpose of this site?   Do you have something better to offer?  If so, what is your gospel? 

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
ABBA FATHER

zarathustra wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

The Truth is Jesus.  The evidence is the blood and water when He was pierced.  Belief is the pipe that connects me to the evidence.  I haven't made a god out of the pipe, but the pipe is my connection through which the Water of Life and Oil for my lamp flow.  It's a package deal.  It's a treasure in a fragile tent, a breakable clay vessel - but the vessel/tent is not me.  I'm just living here - connected, light lit, water flowing, blood securing, joy overflowing.  You are a scam caller during a feast.  The LORD Who died for me is at the head of the table.  My brothers and sisters are all rejoicing around the table.  We are feasting on every good thing.  And you are ringing my phone about some stupid poll trick question you think is sublime and relevant.  I'm putting you on the mosquito tone ringer; in fact, I think that is a whole lot like what you are - a mosquito at a feast. 

Fonzie, it pains me to see how badly your false beliefs have poisoned your mind.  Your devotion to the despicable story of jesus has forced you to lie, and has curtailed your ability to answer simple binary ('a' or 'b') questions.  The so-called "blood and water when He was pierced" was shown by forensic analysis to actually be kool-aid and LSD.  jesus is the crack pipe through which the Bong Water of Lies and the cheap Candle Wax of your Lava Lamp flow.  

Your jesus psychosis seems to be entering a virulent stage, as your are now hallucinating about hash parties where you trade lithium pills with your brothers and sisters; and making condescending, judgmental remarks to others.  I encourage you to accept Elvis who can purge you of these mind-altering substances, before the cancer of christianity gains full con-troll of your mind.

Have no pain - here's my answer:  ABBA, FATHER

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Have no pain -

Fonzie wrote:

Right. So a guy who doesn't even ask you a question, he gets an answer.

Let's try this again : What do you value more, truth or your beliefs ?

Also : Why do you lie ?

And you've been running away from JC's questions for so long that even I can't remember what they were.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote: zarathustra

Fonzie wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

The Truth is Jesus.  The evidence is the blood and water when He was pierced.  Belief is the pipe that connects me to the evidence.  I haven't made a god out of the pipe, but the pipe is my connection through which the Water of Life and Oil for my lamp flow.  It's a package deal.  It's a treasure in a fragile tent, a breakable clay vessel - but the vessel/tent is not me.  I'm just living here - connected, light lit, water flowing, blood securing, joy overflowing.  You are a scam caller during a feast.  The LORD Who died for me is at the head of the table.  My brothers and sisters are all rejoicing around the table.  We are feasting on every good thing.  And you are ringing my phone about some stupid poll trick question you think is sublime and relevant.  I'm putting you on the mosquito tone ringer; in fact, I think that is a whole lot like what you are - a mosquito at a feast. 

Fonzie, it pains me to see how badly your false beliefs have poisoned your mind.  Your devotion to the despicable story of jesus has forced you to lie, and has curtailed your ability to answer simple binary ('a' or 'b') questions.  The so-called "blood and water when He was pierced" was shown by forensic analysis to actually be kool-aid and LSD.  jesus is the crack pipe through which the Bong Water of Lies and the cheap Candle Wax of your Lava Lamp flow.  

Your jesus psychosis seems to be entering a virulent stage, as your are now hallucinating about hash parties where you trade lithium pills with your brothers and sisters; and making condescending, judgmental remarks to others.  I encourage you to accept Elvis who can purge you of these mind-altering substances, before the cancer of christianity gains full con-troll of your mind.

Awesome, my ringtone is the answer!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

TruthbringerOfT...
TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness's picture
User is offlineOffline
How dare you people question

How dare you people question this persons mad ramblings!  I know he is not a True Christian because he doesn't believe exactly the same thing as me, but that doesn't mean his truth level doesn't far out rank YOURS!  

After all if a man has a lamp, will not this fire burn hotter then the truth of his loins?  Can not an eagle sore higher then heart of the mighty panda bear?  

If you have God 3.0 in filling up your heart and other place then the answer is yes, yes it can!  Your problem is that you just don't burn with the discharge of his mighty presence!  

As the lost holly book BS says I BS 5:13 “Behold the blind watch maker looked out with his mighty eyes and saw, that he was blind.  Yet, filled with the sight of God 3.0 he knew, and what he knew was nothing.  Thus God 3.0 makes himself know."

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness

TruthbringerOfTrueTruthiness wrote:

How dare you people question this persons mad ramblings!  I know he is not a True Christian because he doesn't believe exactly the same thing as me, but that doesn't mean his truth level doesn't far out rank YOURS!  

After all if a man has a lamp, will not this fire burn hotter then the truth of his loins?  Can not an eagle sore higher then heart of the mighty panda bear?  

If you have God 3.0 in filling up your heart and other place then the answer is yes, yes it can!  Your problem is that you just don't burn with the discharge of his mighty presence!  

As the lost holly book BS says I BS 5:13 “Behold the blind watch maker looked out with his mighty eyes and saw, that he was blind.  Yet, filled with the sight of God 3.0 he knew, and what he knew was nothing.  Thus God 3.0 makes himself know."

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay a bash fest!Nah

Yay a bash fest!

Nah seriously, yoll should lay off the poor retarded kid with delusions of grandeur. In his mind he is so awesome and glorying in the power of his "god". He's probably bullet proof and turns water into wine regularly. We already know he can dodge the truth and turn his logical thinking into bull shit so where does this end?

I am sad to report I have much more difficult things to do, like ponder if I'm going to play disc golf on sunday or go to the shooting range, decisions decisions.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
ATHEISTS ON PARADE - NO FLOWERS PLEASE

robj101 wrote:

Yay a bash fest!

Nah seriously, yoll should lay off the poor retarded kid with delusions of grandeur. In his mind he is so awesome and glorying in the power of his "god". He's probably bullet proof and turns water into wine regularly. We already know he can dodge the truth and turn his logical thinking into bull shit so where does this end?

I am sad to report I have much more difficult things to do, like ponder if I'm going to play disc golf on sunday or go to the shooting range, decisions decisions.

robj101,

Another answer series filled with happy atheist hardy substance, reason, proof, and the big lie hung out for all to see.  So these are your answers to life's serious questions - a distraction parade complete with cartoon.   This works for you?  Where is it working? 

I'm not seeing anything attractive here.  I'm not seeing any of this touted reason in your posts.  I'm not seeing atheism smiling at the gate or "together" on the friendly tour.  The posts don't radiate security, hope, confidence or direction.  The more the discord the more deemed accomplished. 

You are confirming inspired descriptions of the walking dead - and with very little variety, persuasive in reverse.  I see nothing in atheism that's attractive or even interactive.  Many have here referred to their happy state of being, their free thinking, their success and science experiment working and refining answers to life.  Really?  Where? (a) Did I miss it?  Or is it: (b) Not there?

Maybe you've been holding it all in?  Let's hear it?

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
(Poe)

Fonzie wrote:

Fonzie, it pains me to see how badly the christcancer has metastasized your brain. Your devotion to the despicable story of jesus has forced you to lie, and has curtailed your ability to answer simple binary ('a' or 'b') questions, and now even induces you to give answers where no questions were asked.

The lithium-based hallucinogen known formally as jesus is threatening to toxify your mind beyond redemption.  Please turn to Elvis before it is too late.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:robj101

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Yay a bash fest!

robj101,

Another answer series filled with happy atheist hardy substance, reason, proof, and the big lie hung out for all to see.  So these are your answers to life's serious questions - a distraction parade complete with cartoon.   This works for you?  Where is it working? 

I'm not seeing anything attractive here.  I'm not seeing any of this touted reason in your posts.  I'm not seeing atheism smiling at the gate or "together" on the friendly tour.  The posts don't radiate security, hope, confidence or direction.  The more the discord the more deemed accomplished. 

You are confirming inspired descriptions of the walking dead - and with very little variety, persuasive in reverse.  I see nothing in atheism that's attractive or even interactive.  Many have here referred to their happy state of being, their free thinking, their success and science experiment working and refining answers to life.  Really?  Where? (a) Did I miss it?  Or is it: (b) Not there?

Maybe you've been holding it all in?  Let's hear it

I like how you try to equate religion with non religion so consistently. You need a prop for your life and I do not, this obviously unnerves you. If believeing in some supernatural being pleases you and gives your life the meaning you can not find yourself, then by all means worship till your knees bleed. But you really shouldn't pretend that someone who does not follow your beliefs is not a happy normal person. The only reason I have an interest in sharing my perspective here is in a small attempt to help open someones mind to what they can accomplish, without holding the hand of fiction. Why should I care? Because it pains me to see people blaming everything good that happens to them on fiction, instead of their own labor or just plain chance. Life has more meaning when you realize it is YOU doing it, not some made up "god".

Most of my "arguments" are not even related to science, but common sense. Some people feel science needs to be in the mix, I do not. Simple, everyday common sense tells me god is fiction created by men to control and propogate their system of society. I have read a lot, mostly philosophy based stuff and I would not claim to be a scientist by any means.

Now, tell me how I am like the walking dead. I think it is YOU who are the walking dead, you live your life in worship of some deity, postulating, praying and worshipping that which is not there expecting to die and go to some heaven in the sky. Now, again, tell me who is really the walking dead?

I have a long long list of things I do, I have and want. I'm totally happy with life as it is. I could not imagine at this point having to lean on some fictional character in the sky. That would be sad, and make a person feel less worthy to live this life. For you to say that I am unfulfilled without your religion is arrogant and ignorant of the human condition.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christcancer...

Christcancer... metastasized......

Cross the stttrrreeeeaaaammsss...

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:robj101,

Fonzie wrote:

robj101,

Maybe you've been holding it all in?  Let's hear it?

Your questions have all been answered many times before in this thread and the thread before this one.

We've taken your insults. We've taken your threaths. Enough already.

Answer the question : What do you value more, truth or your beliefs .

And why do you lie ? How does that help you ?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Many have here

Fonzie wrote:

Many have here referred to their happy state of being, their free thinking, their success and science experiment working and refining answers to life.  Really?  Where? (a) Did I miss it?  Or is it: (b) Not there?

You know they "referred" to it, but you don't know where ???

You are the most bizarre liar I have ever met. Seriously, if you're going to be that dishonest, at least try to make a little sense.

For years we've been answering this question for you. Again and again and again...And now you asks "Where ?". In ! this ! thread ! In every reply to every time you asked it again and again and again !

Excuse my french, but this is fucking unbelievable.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
He doesn't want to accept

He doesn't want to accept that not knowing is ok. He is just a typical religious nut. They all lie when they have to, they lie to themselves why wouldn't he lie to you or anyone else? When you can lie to yourself, and draw a blinding curtain over reason, what are you not capable of?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:He doesn't

robj101 wrote:

He doesn't want to accept that not knowing is ok. He is just a typical religious nut. They all lie when they have to, they lie to themselves why wouldn't he lie to you or anyone else? When you can lie to yourself, and draw a blinding curtain over reason, what are you not capable of?

Exactly.

But what I'm hoping to do here is to make him realise that himself. I mean, first he says it's referred to, then he asks where, then he suggests it's not even there at all. That's not religion anymore, that's just plain insanity in it's own right.

Look, rob, don't let this guy goad you into a long sermon with his infantile veiled insults. I've seen that happen once too often. Let's just all repeat Butter's question untill all he can do is answer it or shut up.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm well aware of what he is

I'm well aware of what he is doing and the tactics he abuses. It was pretty spelled out from his opening post. I believe he wants to see how long this thread will get.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
"How long"? THIS LONG:

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you value truth more or

Do you value truth more or do you value your beliefs more? Type "(a)" for truth. Type "(b)" for your beliefs.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
WILL HE FIND FAITH?

robj101 wrote:

I'm well aware of what he is doing and the tactics he abuses. It was pretty spelled out from his opening post. I believe he wants to see how long this thread will get.

robj101,

You have stumbled and admitted faith here - you all have it, it's just in the wrong thing.  The light in you is darkness - exponential darkness.  You love it and ignore the expiration fact. 

As far as long it would take on here - a stupid man will get understanding when a wild ass's colt is born a man. 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:robj101,You

Fonzie wrote:

robj101,

You have stumbled and admitted faith here - you all have it, it's just in the wrong thing.  The light in you is darkness - exponential darkness.  You love it and ignore the expiration fact. 

As far as long it would take on here - a stupid man will get understanding when a wild ass's colt is born a man. 

Your questions about faith have all been answered. Here in this thread.

Now answer the question : Do you value truth more or do you value your beliefs more? Type "(a)" for truth. Type "(b)" for your beliefs.

DarkSam
DarkSam's picture
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

robj101,

Well what do you know... Another post full of shit. Type (a) for your beleifs or (b) for the truth. Fonzie I see that even when things are taken back to basics for you (multiple choice) you cannot answer the simple question... I would hate to see how you would go in an exam. Find X, you would start blabbing on about how you don't have faith in X. Rofl

Edit: I Ment type a for truth and b for your beleifs, sry for the confusion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot disprove the existance of God, but you also cannot disprove the existance of an all powerfull, incomprehesible, pink elephant that lives in the boot of my car.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
DarkSam wrote:Fonzie

DarkSam wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

robj101,

Well what do you know... Another post full of shit. Type (a) for your beleifs or (b) for the truth. Fonzie I see that even when things are taken back to basics for you (multiple choice) you cannot answer the simple question... I would hate to see how you would go in an exam. Find X, you would start blabbing on about how you don't have faith in X. Rofl

Edit: I Ment type a for truth and b for your beleifs, sry for the confusion.

I'm interpreting his post as saying "I'm going to heaven, and you have an expiration date"

My response is, your full of shit, you have simply hidden your expiration date from yourself with "faith". Yea turn it around, it's on the back of the label, yeaa. Now who's living in the dark?

And guys, he's not going to answer that question, way too loaded for his small mind. I daresay if I were in his position I could give a pretty easy answer that wouldn't conflict too badly, but would probably still be controversial. But I wont give him any idea's by spelling out what I would say in his position.

edit: I wonder how he really understands the theory of evolution.

What holds more import A: for Truth, or B: for belief, answer the question

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

robj101 wrote:

robj101,

So now you're claiming Godhead? You do follow Fonzie-anity (or is it Meph-ism)?

He claimed a belief that you want to keep this thread going - this belief is based on observation, not faith.

And for some odd reason the most insulting thing you can say is "You're just like me".

Fonzie, old son, you have an expiration date also. The only difference is that you are indoctrinated (or have indoctrinated yourself) into the belief that you and you alone are going to a wonderful place after you're dead where you can watch everyone else roast while you're wanking.

If I'm right, neither of us will have to worry. If you're right, you'll have happy wanks. If the Bible is right, I'll save you a seat by the fires of Hell.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:you all have

Fonzie wrote:

you all have it, it's just in the wrong thing.

What have I admitted faith in?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
YOUR FAITH YOUR LIFE YOUR LOVE

butterbattle wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Fonzie wrote:
  I can't conceive of what you are asking.

You don't understand the concept of evidence ?

Ugh....notice that wasn't even my question.

He completely changed my question, even though he quoted it in the same post, from truth v belief to truth v evidence. I believe it's because the former disjunction was making Jesus cry. 

Butterbattle,

Concerning the question of what you have faith in, I've been re-reading some of your posts and they scream faith in "I", "me", "yo".  (examples; "I don't care....."   "That's not what I ask..."  "He changed MY question". 

Here, however you have a faith in immunity from blasphemy and disrespect of God. 

There are just a lot of things ol' Butter that don't fit in the test tube, math formula, or periodic chart.  You, however, are not short on faith, in yourself, to bob and weave through it - and as I said that is faith in the wrong thingo > Butterbattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTjSGS24kQc

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:(examples; "I

Fonzie wrote:

(examples; "I don't care....."   "That's not what I ask..."  "He changed MY question".

How do these quotes demonstrate faith in myself?

Fonzie wrote:
Here, however you have a faith in immunity from blasphemy and disrespect of God.

No, I don't. I don't even believe in "immunity from blasphemy and disrespect of God." I don't believe in God.

Fonzie wrote:
There are just a lot of things ol' Butter that don't fit in the test tube, math formula, or periodic chart.

Yeah, I know. So?

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
If what he is saying is

If what he is saying is true, then he has fully devoted himself to this fantasy, and should receive the religious zealot of the year award.

He obviously firmly believes we are in denial of his god. He can't comprehend the fact that someone else may not really believe in his god and may have actually partitioned his mind in order to make this true. You can't argue with someone like that.

I already said, pages back, he is not here to debate but to preach, which is why I had stopped responding. That is not what this forum is for.

He will not answer your question Butter, because his belief is his truth.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:I've been

Fonzie wrote:
I've been re-reading some of your posts

Then you may have noticed this : Do you value truth more or do you value your beliefs more? Type "(a)" for truth. Type "(b)" for your beliefs.

Just exactly how long are you planning on running away from the question this time ? Another 4 or 5 months or so, like last time ?

(and just for fun, you may want to count the "I", "me", etc in your own posts)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:butterbattle

Fonzie wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

He completely changed my question, even though he quoted it in the same post, from truth v belief to truth v evidence. I believe it's because the former disjunction was making Jesus cry. 

Butterbattle,

Concerning the question of what you have faith in, I've been re-reading some of your posts and they scream faith in "I", "me", "yo".  (examples; "I don't care....."   "That's not what I ask..."  "He changed MY question". 

There are just a lot of things ol' Butter that don't fit in the test tube, math formula, or periodic chart.  You, however, are not short on faith, in yourself, to bob and weave through it - and as I said that is faith in the wrong thingo > Butterbattle.

He doesn't have faith in Yahweh or in you.

And that scares the crap out of you - why?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Butterbattle,

But the pattern of strong conviction and belief in a religious doctrine and a God/Jesus figure that you display does fit into the scope of scientific knowledge of psychology and the way the human mind works, and how it can become totally fixated on a totally mythical story.

Science is not just about physics, math and chemistry etc, it is about systematically studying and analysing anything which we can observe in any repeatable way, and human behavior and beliefs, religion, etc , the functioning and mis-functioning of the brain itself, are most certainly included. Your own behavior, the pattern and content of your responses here, including everything that we all informally base our own personal assessment of each other, are all open to scientific study, and comparison to that of other believers in both similar and very different 'faiths'.

Science just does it in a more comprehensive and systematic way, with checks wherever possible for any kind of error or personal bias, by comparing results from different studies, different scientists, different approaches to the subject, and devising test scenarios, experiments. In the area of human behaviour and ideas, experiment will include getting groups of people together, asking them carefully structured sets of questions, and analysing and comparing their responses, how they react to various real and hypothetical situations, etc. We can get further insight now by observing the patterns of brain activation they show when they think about and react to various things.

You keep repeating this ignorant popular stereotype of science as all and only about lab-coats, test-tubes, etc.

It does becomes harder to apply to unusual, one-off events which leave little or no physical trace behind. In such cases, informal, ie 'non-scientific', impressions and ideas about what actually happened are even more subject to error. The tendency of people to retain wildly inaccurate memories of one-off, unusual events has itself been shown by scientific study.

Your pattern of belief, the concepts you worship, are nowhere near that unusual. Quite the opposite, of course. 

We have 'faith' in reason, in the idea that we need some sort of evidence, from beyond our own internal experiences, 'spiritual' or otherwise, to justify our beliefs.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Let's take a look at what

Let's take a look at what you fear, Fonzie/Meph.

You fear:

God

Death

Hell

Disputes

Evaluating your own beliefs

Have I missed anything?

— George Carlin

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
You forgot he has faith that

You forgot he has faith that his TV will turn on tonight and that his car will start.

DarkSam
DarkSam's picture
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Butterbattle,

You reread the posts did you? Well you seem to have missed the posts that asked the question, "What do you value more, the truth or your beleifs? Type (a) for truth or (b) for your beleifs".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You cannot disprove the existance of God, but you also cannot disprove the existance of an all powerfull, incomprehesible, pink elephant that lives in the boot of my car.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
ASKING TOO MUCH OF SCIENCE

BobSpence1 wrote:

But the pattern of strong conviction and belief in a religious doctrine and a God/Jesus figure that you display does fit into the scope of scientific knowledge of psychology and the way the human mind works, and how it can become totally fixated on a totally mythical story.

Science is not just about physics, math and chemistry etc, it is about systematically studying and analysing anything which we can observe in any repeatable way, and human behavior and beliefs, religion, etc , the functioning and mis-functioning of the brain itself, are most certainly included. Your own behavior, the pattern and content of your responses here, including everything that we all informally base our own personal assessment of each other, are all open to scientific study, and comparison to that of other believers in both similar and very different 'faiths'.

Science just does it in a more comprehensive and systematic way, with checks wherever possible for any kind of error or personal bias, by comparing results from different studies, different scientists, different approaches to the subject, and devising test scenarios, experiments. In the area of human behaviour and ideas, experiment will include getting groups of people together, asking them carefully structured sets of questions, and analysing and comparing their responses, how they react to various real and hypothetical situations, etc. We can get further insight now by observing the patterns of brain activation they show when they think about and react to various things.

You keep repeating this ignorant popular stereotype of science as all and only about lab-coats, test-tubes, etc.

It does becomes harder to apply to unusual, one-off events which leave little or no physical trace behind. In such cases, informal, ie 'non-scientific', impressions and ideas about what actually happened are even more subject to error. The tendency of people to retain wildly inaccurate memories of one-off, unusual events has itself been shown by scientific study.

Your pattern of belief, the concepts you worship, are nowhere near that unusual. Quite the opposite, of course. 

We have 'faith' in reason, in the idea that we need some sort of evidence, from beyond our own internal experiences, 'spiritual' or otherwise, to justify our beliefs.

BobSpence1,

You study what's already here and observe what's already here and pontificate on what's already here and, yes, we have no end of these studies: everything from effects of country music on suicide, ultrasonic velocity in cheddar cheese as affected by temperature, herrings communicating by passing gas, navigational structural change in the Hippocampi of taxi drivers - where does it all end Bob?  And to what end and purpose does it all connect?

This is fellowship with confusion you have in your worship of science and it's accompanying "reason" and "experiment" - I mean there is no coordination in the connection of the body of science to the whole of man's being and experience.  There is no understanding of how the world has come to be and why, what is man's role in it, how is justice to be weighed, what is the future of man, on and on - you will still be discovering your tongue and nose and sucking on your scientific pacifier when your life is over. 

I don't have anything against your science lab or science fair Bob - I like science too.  You are just asking more of it than it has to give.  We are both tapping on computers.  You fall down and worship; I consider it a tool.  People can ask too much of jobs, marriage, things, pleasures, etc.  The only One Who puts it all together is God in Christ.  But you don't really SEE He Who was pierced for your real spiritual problem - the debt of sin, you don't mourn over His atoning death, you don't get it.  You don't come to Him for abundant life.  Would that you did.  Because if you don't get it from Him, you won't.

Hopefully - as in a pendulum study - your faith will swing the other way.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:BobSpence1

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1,

You study what's already here and observe what's already here and pontificate on what's already here and, yes, we have no end of these studies: everything from effects of country music on suicide, ultrasonic velocity in cheddar cheese as affected by temperature, herrings communicating by passing gas, navigational structural change in the Hippocampi of taxi drivers - where does it all end Bob?  And to what end and purpose does it all connect?

This is fellowship with confusion you have in your worship of science and it's accompanying "reason" and "experiment" - I mean there is no coordination in the connection of the body of science to the whole of man's being and experience.  There is no understanding of how the world has come to be and why, what is man's role in it, how is justice to be weighed, what is the future of man, on and on - you will still be discovering your tongue and nose and sucking on your scientific pacifier when your life is over. 

I don't have anything against your science lab or science fair Bob - I like science too.  You are just asking more of it than it has to give.  We are both tapping on computers.  You fall down and worship; I consider it a tool.  People can ask too much of jobs, marriage, things, pleasures, etc.  The only One Who puts it all together is God in Christ.  But you don't really SEE He Who was pierced for your real spiritual problem - the debt of sin, you don't mourn over His atoning death, you don't get it.  You don't come to Him for abundant life.  Would that you did.  Because if you don't get it from Him, you won't.

You worry so much about science. I have said before science is not necessary when debating religion or the supernatural in general. In fact I think science gives a moron like yourself ammunition. Well the bullets may be duds, but more ammunition regardless.

Why can't you discuss good ole common sense? I know it's a bit rare these days but it is still the very best thing for figuring out the simplest of things. Figuring out god is made up is pretty damn simple. Much like your entire view of life. God did it.

Bottom line, people fear death. People fear the unknown. God is an answer that gives a solution to both of these fears, and coupled with faith it allows them to wear a blindfold through life with a smile on their lips. You pretend you are happy now, but should you realize later that everything you have done with your life in regards to "god" has been a lie, you will be the saddest person in the world, realizing you have never had anything.

Because your belief is your truth. Since you wont answer the question, then perhaps you could refute this statement, save some face somehow, because you look quite ridiculous as is.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1,

Talk about missing the point - I didn't want to believe that you never read anyone's posts but this clinches it.

It's funny how you mention tool use. It reminds me of a post I made to you some time ago. Christianity is a tool also. You use it as a bludgeon. Your only purpose for it is to break things and damage people. But when you damage someone with it (no one here - we see you for what you are), you claim that the tool used you.

If there is a God, he's terribly disappointed in you for misusing what he gave you.

— George Carlin

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1,

Fonzie, you continue to display such a deep and fundamental misunderstanding of how science works, and what it can and does fruitfully investigate, despite what I explain to you.

Science studies everything that is also available to you, and more. All that we can see, as well as everything that we can detect with a vast range of instruments that detect things way beyond out what our unaided senses can perceive, which includes all the traces and evidence of what has gone before.

Your sad attempt to trivialize what science studies in social and cognitive areas demonstrates this. Yes, some people do study things like that, which are not necessarily as irrelevant as you assume. Such things can often give us useful insights into the workings of larger issues which are less easy to get access to. But it also studies more significant things, such as the effects of strong beliefs on the workings of the brain and people's actual behaviour, which often contradicts intuitive assumptions about how their own religion effects them and the wider society.

It has very definitely given us massive insight into "how the world has come to be". Insights that show how totally mistaken the ideas of the writers of Genesis were.

When you refer to 'why', you are assuming that there has to be grander purpose to it, but that is simply not necessarily so, and there is no verifiable way to actually demonstrate that that is the case.

We certainly study the path by which life evolved, the ways by which life itself could have emerged, based on the way the fundamental bits of matter and energy behave, and the properties of the molecules that contribute to the fundamental processes of life. And further, of course, the path by which our own ancestors emerged, and how they fitted into the pattern of life in general. It has also given us a much firmer basis to speculate on the future of it all, and "where it will all end", than the limited and often mistaken ideas and pre-conceptions of the writers of the Bible.

Justice is not directly an area of study of science, but the way ideas of justice and related concepts have developed over historical times is open to study and analysis, and we do know that we have advanced way beyond many of the concepts of morality and justice recorded in the Bible.

All you seem to base your ideas on are what people thousands of years ago thought and wrote down, and your own psychological reactions to them. That is such a narrow and limited and error-prone source from which to derive your world-view.

Religion is far more accurately described as a "pacifier" for you to suck on, your security blanket, than the open and systematic and tested study of everything that is Science. You are just worshipping your own fantasies. You are firmly shutting your eyes to all the ways that Science has shown the errors in religious claims. Indulging in such fantasies is not ultimately adequate for people who genuinely value Truth over comforting Myth.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:BobSpence1,You

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1,

Do you value truth more or do you value your beliefs more? Type "(a)" for truth. Type "(b)" for your beliefs.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
(Poe)

Fonzie wrote:
BobSpence1,

Hopefully - as in a pendulum study - your faith will swing the other way

Fonzie, it pains me to see how badly the christcancer has metastasized your brain. Your devotion to the despicable story of jesus has forced you to lie, and has curtailed your ability to answer simple binary ('a' or 'b') questions.  Each time you run from such simple questions, your prove jesus provides no real answers, but is rather the sower of confusion.

You can only return to honesty once you throw off the lies of jesus and accept Elvis back into your prostate.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
zarathustra wrote:Fonzie

zarathustra wrote:

Fonzie wrote:
BobSpence1,

Fonzie, it pains me to see how badly the christcancer has metastasized your brain. Your devotion to the despicable story of jesus has forced you to lie, and has curtailed your ability to answer simple binary ('a' or 'b') questions.  Each time you run from such simple questions, your prove jesus provides no real answers, but is rather the sower of confusion.

You can only return to honesty once you throw off the lies of jesus and accept Elvis back into your prostate.

I knew that son of a bitch was still alive. Dying on the toilet, yea, likely story.

YOU AINT NOTHIN BUT A RUBBER GLOVE

PROBING ALL THE TIME

COUGHING ALL THE TIME

YOU AINT NEVER TURNED YOUR HEAD

AND YOU AINT NO FRIEND OF MINE

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:zarathustra

Brian37 wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Fonzie wrote:
BobSpence1,

I knew that son of a bitch was still alive. Dying on the toilet, yea, likely story.

PROBING ALL THE TIME

COUGHING ALL THE TIME

YOU AINT NEVER TURNED YOUR HEAD

AND YOU AINT NO FRIEND OF MINE

lol

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:You study

Fonzie wrote:

Lol. Funny.

Anyways, do you value truth more or do you value your beliefs more? Type "(a)" for truth. Type "(b)" for your beliefs. 

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dear  Fonzie,I am new on

Dear  Fonzie,

I am new on this forum, and I REALLY APPRECIATE you are hanging on this forum for almost 2 years.

Last week, I was trying to kindly explain your fellow Christians (on worthy something forums. com) that what they write and discuss on their forum about Atheism is fundamentally absurd.  Nevertheless they again and again and again kept stating the "Atheists believe that there is no God, and that there was no Christ."  And no matter how hard I tried to Explain that "Believe that there is no God" is absolutely different from "Do NOT believe in gods", NO one (except maybe just one) could not get.

So, I was called:

- being on dark side

- Satan servant

- going to hell

- the one who should be (along with all atheists) denied the first amendment rights

- something between pig and dog.  (this was some citation from the Bible, and when I stated that this does not seem to be smart to call me names, I've been told to not take this personal, because this is in the Bible and this is how God said, so they are not responsible for this)

One week after I started the account, my account was banned....

So, I am here and see that you are posting in this thread for almost 2 years. Wow!  I think this is quite a message for you - atheists are a lot more tolerant to Christians, than Christians to atheists.

After all,

Deuteronomy 13.6-10:

6If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

7Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

8Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

9But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

10And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 

So, again, I am happy to see you here, so I can ask a couple questions to begin with:

1)  Do you believe in God?

2)  Do you believe in the Bible literally?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist wrote:So,

100percentAtheist wrote:

So, I am here and see that you are posting in this thread for almost 2 years. Wow!  I think this is quite a message for you - atheists are a lot more tolerant to Christians, than Christians to atheists.

He's had other threads (using a different name), so it's been about three years, and he's broken about every rule this place has, more times than I can be bothered to count.

So yeah, we have been cutting him a rather large helping of slack.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie seems to be about as

Fonzie seems to be about as smart as his own god.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Fonzie seems

robj101 wrote:

I don't really care if his god really exists, but the Bible is just one "f@#$g golden" thing in human history.  Those selling the story are smart guys, they don't believe in gods, they are gods. 

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I don't really care if his god really exists, but the Bible is just one "f@#$g golden" thing in human history.  Those selling the story are smart guys, they don't believe in gods, they are gods. 

Yea that's part of the big picture. But I think our little Fonzie here is quite a limited individual, only capable of seeing what he himself has devised. He is blind to everything else, even when it comes up and slaps him he refuses to aknowledge it.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
PER CENT MEANS PER HUNDRED

100percentAtheist wrote:

Dear  Fonzie,

I am new on this forum, and I REALLY APPRECIATE you are hanging on this forum for almost 2 years.

Last week, I was trying to kindly explain your fellow Christians (on worthy something forums. com) that what they write and discuss on their forum about Atheism is fundamentally absurd.  Nevertheless they again and again and again kept stating the "Atheists believe that there is no God, and that there was no Christ."  And no matter how hard I tried to Explain that "Believe that there is no God" is absolutely different from "Do NOT believe in gods", NO one (except maybe just one) could not get.

So, I was called:

- being on dark side

- Satan servant

- going to hell

- the one who should be (along with all atheists) denied the first amendment rights

- something between pig and dog.  (this was some citation from the Bible, and when I stated that this does not seem to be smart to call me names, I've been told to not take this personal, because this is in the Bible and this is how God said, so they are not responsible for this)

One week after I started the account, my account was banned....

After all,

Deuteronomy 13.6-10:

6If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

7Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

8Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

9But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

10And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 

So, again, I am happy to see you here, so I can ask a couple questions to begin with:

1)  Do you believe in God?

2)  Do you believe in the Bible literally?

100%atheist,

The passage you referred to is of course from the Law of God given to Moses.  It shows sin is not a trifle to God for one thing; however, the fulfilling of the Law in Christ shows even more how serious sin is to God, and God is no trifle.  He dwells in the Heavens and does what He pleases. 

Jesus is the only One who perfectly kept the Law of God - He fulfilled it, and His death was the death of Death, because the Law found nothing to convict Him, He gave Himself to die taking our sins' sentence.  We accept that not only as cleansing but a dynamo of motivation to hate sin and not continue in sin.  God now writes His Law on our hearts.  He draws us near.  He lives in us.

I believe in God in Christ.  He lives in me.  He has sealed me with the gift of the Holy Spirit.  I know Whom I have believed.  I believe the Word of God is true and I believe every Word and Letter of It.  It is the Living Word of God.  Jesus is the Living Word of God.  The Bible was all written as men were moved by the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ.  Jesus Lives now in His People.  All things were created through Him and hold together in Him. 

Know this, that unbelief is a great sin.  I will credit you this:  not being lukewarm.  God says He would rather you were cold or hot, but not lukewarm - that's a spitter, lukewarmness. 

As to who is more tolerant, atheists or Christians - your story is anecdotal and I can't judge it.  I have seen a lot of mischaracterization on this site.  I am for taking both so called Christians and atheists one at a time.  The most valuable things are most counterfeited. 

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
More garbage not worth

More garbage not worth responding too, but does your own "faith" fit in this counterfeiting theory?

You have already deemed faith as having more value than truth.